PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Wednesday, August 2

Teach
08-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Race One:
What I know about “The Jumpers” you could fit into the eye of a needle. That being said, I’ll offer my 2-cents worth. First, I see a race with loads of early speed. Through the process of deductive reasoning, that now leaves me seeking a closer, or at least a horse who can stalk the pace. Therefore, my top pick is: :8: Invocation. You won’t have to say a blessing to believe that this French-bred 4 year-old gelding can be right there at the wire. This Giant’s Causeway-bred won his last in May at Malvern, PA (about 25m. west of Philadelphia). This fence-jumper's most capable pilot is Sean McDermott; the trainer is Leslie Young (Paddy’s wife). Others: :1:, :5:, :3:.

Race Two:
:5: Fortuitous Path had been off one year when he returned to the races over two months ago. On that occasion: Nothing! Yet, if this Rudy Rodriguez-trained ridgling is now ready – his morning works seem to indicate so – he can prevail in this n3L sprint field. Luis Saez is in the irons for this 5 year-old class-dropper. Others: :2:, :3:, :4:

Race Three:
In this 9-panels turf allowance, I’m casting my lot with :7: Cite. I should mention that this 4 year-old bay colt has the chauffeuring service of the red-hot Hall of Famer, John Velazquez. Another Hall of Famer, Bill Mott, is this colt’s conditioner. In his last three races, at Kentucky tracks, this Arch-bred has been “knocking on the door”; yet, he failed to get his picture taken. I believe this colt has as good a chance as any to win out his lifetime conditions. Others: :4:, :5:, :1:.

Race Four:
:7: Bon Heir ships in from the “Hoosier” state where he failed to hit the tote in a 5-panels sprint (today’s extra furlong and a half better suits this runner’s optimal distance). This 5 year-old now drops in for a 20k “tag”; he appears to be playing the thoroughbred racing “limbo” (how low can you go?). Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer Joe Sharp. Others: :6:, :3:, :4:.

Race Five:
:4: My Man Jax is my longshot try in this one mile MC. This 3 year-old Midshipman-bred chestnut colt has been the runner-up in his only two pari-mutuel tries. The colt’s trainer, Brad Cox, does very well with “shippers”. The most capable reinsman, Florent Geroux, is in the irons. Others: :2:, :5:, :7:

Race Six:
:4: Parade, a well-bred Tapit (Pulpit), is my choice. This 3 year-old grey filly was closing well in similar ace at Belmont about one month ago; she finished third. At this time, there may be showers in the Saratoga area; that would greatly enhance his filly’s chances. Dylan Davis is in the irons for trainer “Shug” McGaughey. Others: :5:, :7:, :6:

Race Seven:
In this stat-bred OC turf route, I’m picking: :5: Iron Power. This Cozzene-bred 7 year-old has faced much better; he now drops into a race where he’s most capable of handling the competition. Linda Rice is this gelding’s conditioner; the hot-as-a-petardo, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is in the irons. Others: :11:, :7:, :8:.

Race Eight:
In this 11-panels, n1x turf allowance. I’m going with :9: Lucky Long. This chestnut filly’s trainer, Tony Dutrow, does very well with horses entered in allowance races. He also has a good record with horses making turf starts. This Smart Strike-bred filly looks like she can handle the eleven furlongs. Ricardo Santana, Jr. has his feet in the stirrups. Others: :10:, :7:, :1:.

Race Nine:
In this the 100k non-graded Shine Again Stakes, my pick is a longshot (this is predicated on showers and a wet track at “The Spa"; if not, all bets are off): :5: Absatootly. This Charley Baker trainee should relish the anticipated wet going. Dylan Davis is in the irons. If the showers do not materialize, I’m picking: :3:, :2:, :7:, :6:

Race Ten:
In the finale, a MSW state-bred turf sprint, I’m picking a first-time starter, :9: Purely Lucky. The filly’s trainer, Brad Cox, does exceptionally well with horses entered in turf races; he also does very well with first-time starters. Florent Geroux is this 2 year-old Looking At Lucky-bred filly’s pilot. Others: :10:, :5:, :4:.