PDA

View Full Version : DEAL MAKER GIVES UP

formula_2002
07-30-2017, 12:06 AM
Because the president’s administration cannot make a deal on the Obama health care plan, he wants to let the health care plan implode. Sad,sad …. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE A DERILECTION OF DUTY. DOES HE THINK HIS ACTION WILL HARM US?

Nutz and Boltz
07-30-2017, 07:36 AM
The difference in being a deal maker in business and as President is that in business you can do something shady to do it, and worry about being sued later.

tucker6
07-30-2017, 07:49 AM
When I read the OP, I thought it was one of the dumber threads ever created. How does a president enact changes to law without consent of Congress? Then, I read the first reply, and silly just got raised to another level. Are you implying that nothing shady goes on in govt work, because if you are, I have a bridge to nowhere in Alaska to sell you. Most of govt is a con job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravina_Island_Bridge

chadk66
07-30-2017, 08:35 AM
crooks do what crooks do. and they all are.

forced89
07-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Because the president’s administration cannot make a deal on the Obama health care plan, he wants to let the health care plan implode. Sad,sad …. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE A DERELICTION OF DUTY. DOES HE THINK HIS ACTION WILL HARM US?

A good move. If it looks like the ACA is going to implode, the public will put pressure on their Congressmen, both Dems and Reps, to make the necessary changes to it.

JustRalph
07-30-2017, 09:35 AM
He lets it die

He takes everything he can away from Congress and the insurance companies and sits back and waits

The John McCains of the world will squeal like stuck pigs

McCain was the deciding vote to fund planned parenthood yesterday......he's now in the realm of trolling Repubs

chrisl
07-30-2017, 10:57 AM
When I read the OP, I thought it was one of the dumber threads ever created. How does a president enact changes to law without consent of Congress? Then, I read the first reply, and silly just got raised to another level. Are you implying that nothing shady goes on in govt work, because if you are, I have a bridge to nowhere in Alaska to sell you. Most of govt is a con job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravina_Island_Bridge

This link is so incorrect. I have lived in Ketchikan damn near all my life. The company I have worked for since 1982 was on the board, and would have been a major marine contractor on the project. This link is crap

barahona44
07-30-2017, 11:54 AM
This link is so incorrect. I have lived in Ketchikan damn near all my life. The company I have worked for since 1982 was on the board, and would have been a major marine contractor on the project. This link is crap

Without knowing the geography of the Ketchikan area, why was an airport built on an island with no direct road routes?

Nutz and Boltz
07-30-2017, 11:58 AM
When Then, I read the first reply, and silly just got raised to another level. Are you implying that nothing shady goes on in govt work, because if you are, I have a bridge to nowhere in Alaska to sell you.]

What I meant was, because he is Donald J.Trump, whatever he proposes would be scrutinized more by the opposition, not allowing him to slip something by the public,like he would be able to do while doing business in the private sector.

Clocker
07-30-2017, 01:03 PM
Without knowing the geography of the Ketchikan area, why was an airport built on an island with no direct road routes?

I am not familiar with Ketchikan, but a lot of the coastal towns up there started as fishing ports, and are built on relatively small plains between the water and the mountains, which usually rise up abruptly from the plains. I'd guess that there was not enough flat land there to build an airport.

Fager Fan
07-30-2017, 02:45 PM
He lets it die

He takes everything he can away from Congress and the insurance companies and sits back and waits

The John McCains of the world will squeal like stuck pigs

McCain was the deciding vote to fund planned parenthood yesterday......he's now in the realm of trolling Repubs

Did I mention how much I detest McCain?

chrisl
07-30-2017, 02:46 PM
I am not familiar with Ketchikan, but a lot of the coastal towns up there started as fishing ports, and are built on relatively small plains between the water and the mountains, which usually rise up abruptly from the plains. I'd guess that there was not enough flat land there to build an airport.
Clocker Spot on!

tucker6
07-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Clocker Spot on!

But was there enough economic payback via tax revenue to justify a half billion dollar project. My guess is that the payback over 20 years was likely 1% of the project cost plus interest on the investment.

I assumed half a billion because govt contracts end up well over budget.

formula_2002
07-30-2017, 03:02 PM
A good move. If it looks like the ACA is going to implode, the public will put pressure on their Congressmen, both Dems and Reps, to make the necessary changes to it.

that sounds like regression to the lowest mean.
I don't think Trump can overcome his self importance and bulling, to promote a thoughtful process.

tucker6
07-30-2017, 03:04 PM
that sounds like regression to the lowest mean.
I don't think Trump can overcome his self importance and bulling, to promote a thoughtful process.

What does a thoughtful process look like these days because neither side seems to give much thought to the means or the ends.

davew
07-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Because the president’s administration cannot make a deal on the Obama health care plan, he wants to let the health care plan implode. Sad,sad …. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE A DERILECTION OF DUTY. DOES HE THINK HIS ACTION WILL HARM US?

sometimes it is best to walk away from a deal because it will become MUCH better in a couple years

mostpost
07-30-2017, 04:06 PM
The whole "Bridge to Nowhere" thing was dishonest. I remember many links posted here that talked about wanting to build a $300M bridge to an island with 50 residents, never mentioning that an airport that served 220,000 passengers a year existed on that island. A fact which I pointed out several times. According to the wikipedia article linked in this thread, almost 1,000 people a day use the ferry service.

But, as I have said previously, that does not mean the bridge was ever a good idea. Upgrading the ferry service was the right way to go.

mostpost
07-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Would you care to enlighten us as to what the inaccuracies are?

tucker6
07-30-2017, 04:43 PM
The whole "Bridge to Nowhere" thing was dishonest. I remember many links posted here that talked about wanting to build a $300M bridge to an island with 50 residents, never mentioning that an airport that served 220,000 passengers a year existed on that island. A fact which I pointed out several times. According to the wikipedia article linked in this thread, almost 1,000 people a day use the ferry service.

But, as I have said previously, that does not mean the bridge was ever a good idea. Upgrading the ferry service was the right way to go.

This link is from the statistics section of the airport website.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/345

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/130/Airport

Only 8,500 air passengers last year?

barahona44
07-30-2017, 06:33 PM
This link is from the statistics section of the airport website.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/345

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/130/Airport

Only 8,500 air passengers last year?

According to the airport website Ketchikan is served by a major airline, Delta which has one flight a day to Seattle on a 66 seat Bombadier small jet and a mid-level airline Alaska Airlines which has three flights a day one each to Juneau, Sitka and a place I never heard of called Wrangell.Alaska uses Boeing 737's, not 16 seat turboprops, for all these flights so if the 8500 passengers per year is accurate , they're using regular passenger jets for 5 or 6 passengers per flight. In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer, "Not bloody likely".:) There's also several smaller airlines of the bush flying variety listed.

220,000 passengers yearly is about 600 per day.The prescence of three daily flights using 737's and another with a small jet and the puddlejumper locals (and I'm pretty sure a signifigant private plane presence, given Alaska's size) makes the larger number more likely.

But then why the tiny number on the city website?:confused:

tucker6
07-30-2017, 07:22 PM
According to the airport website Ketchikan is served by a major airline, Delta which has one flight a day to Seattle on a 66 seat Bombadier small jet and a mid-level airline Alaska Airlines which has three flights a day one each to Juneau, Sitka and a place I never heard of called Wrangell.Alaska uses Boeing 737's, not 16 seat turboprops, for all these flights so if the 8500 passengers per year is accurate , they're using regular passenger jets for 5 or 6 passengers per flight. In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer, "Not bloody likely".:) There's also several smaller airlines of the bush flying variety listed.

220,000 passengers yearly is about 600 per day.The prescence of three daily flights using 737's and another with a small jet and the puddlejumper locals (and I'm pretty sure a signifigant private plane presence, given Alaska's size) makes the larger number more likely.

But then why the tiny number on the city website?:confused:

I agree. The numbers don't add up.

chrisl
07-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Would you care to enlighten us as to what the inaccuracies are?

The bridge had nothing to do with the airport...Keep searching...nothing at all.

chadk66
07-30-2017, 07:53 PM
I agree. The numbers don't add up.I would believe the cities numbers because if anything they would play with them to make it look like they actually had more passengers than they do.

chrisl
07-30-2017, 09:19 PM
I would believe the cities numbers because if anything they would play with them to make it look like they actually had more passengers than they do.

FLATLANDERS.....PLEASE

chadk66
07-31-2017, 10:36 PM
FLATLANDERS.....PLEASEwhat the hell does it have to do with flatlanders lol. Oh you mean like flat landing a plane like with the gear up?:pound:

Lemon Drop Husker
07-31-2017, 10:42 PM
FLATLANDERS.....PLEASE

If I were a Democrat, I'd be offended, probably call a talk show or even try to get on TV.

Me? :pound: