PDA

View Full Version : "Trump Is Woody Allen Without the Humor" - Peggy Noonan

barn32
07-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Unfortuately the Wall Street Journal is a pay for site, but I've included some excerpts fron Noonan's column I found elsewhere.

"The president’s primary problem as a leader is not that he is impetuous, brash or naive. It’s not that he is inexperienced, crude, an outsider. It is that he is weak and sniveling. It is that he undermines himself almost daily by ignoring traditional norms and forms of American masculinity.

Actually his wife, Melania, is tougher than he is with her stoicism and grace, her self-discipline and desire to show the world respect by presenting herself with dignity."

Noonan offers an observation made by someone else in light of Trump’s mistreatment of Jeff Sessions:

"In Politico, John J. Pitney Jr. of Claremont McKenna College writes: “Loyalty is about strength. It is about sticking with a person, a cause, an idea or a country even when it is costly, difficult or unpopular.” A strong man does that. A weak one would unleash his resentments and derive sadistic pleasure from their unleashing."

Noonan also offers the following words after remarking about Trump’s performance at the Boyscout Jamboree:

"His inability—not his refusal, but his inability—to embrace the public and rhetorical role of the presidency consistently and constructively is weak.

It’s so easy to act presidential but that’s not gonna get it done,” Mr. Trump said the other night at a rally in Youngstown, Ohio. That is the opposite of the truth. The truth, six months in, is that he is not presidential and is not getting it done. His mad, blubbery petulance isn’t working for him but against him. If he were presidential he’d be getting it done—building momentum, gaining support. He’d be over 50%, not under 40%. He’d have health care, and more."

Noonan goes on to set up discussing the bloviations of Scaramucci with these words:

"We close with the observation that it’s all nonstop drama and queen-for-a-day inside this hothouse of a White House. Staffers speak in their common yet somehow colorful language of their wants, their complaints.

He seemed to think this diarrheic diatribe was professional, the kind of thing the big boys do with their media bros. But he came across as just another drama queen for this warring, riven, incontinent White House. As Scaramucci spoke, the historian Joshua Zeitz observed wonderingly, on Twitter: “It’s a Team of Rivals but for morons.”

It is. And it stinks from the top.

Meanwhile the whole world is watching, a world that contains predators. How could they not be seeing this weakness, confusion and chaos and thinking it’s a good time to cause some trouble?"

And now I sit back and wait for the attacks on Peggy Noonan.

JustRalph
07-28-2017, 10:55 PM
http://www.johnziegler.com/editorials_details.asp?editorial=223

Noonan? She's a lefty in most cases

Fager Fan
07-28-2017, 11:07 PM
Who cares? This all bores me.

At least we know where Trump is. He's not slithering in the grass like Obama and almost all members of Congress (and apparently our intelligence agencies).

davew
07-28-2017, 11:08 PM
Woody Allen is funny?

like Michael Moore?

reckless
07-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Peggy Noonan is Kathy Griffin -- without the looks.

thaskalos
07-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Peggy Noonan is Kathy Griffin -- without the looks.

But when Noonan was praising Romney prior to the 2012 election, she wasn't so "unattractive"...RIGHT?

barn32
07-29-2017, 05:54 PM
But when Noonan was praising Romney prior to the 2012 election, she wasn't so "unattractive"...RIGHT?When you can't debate the merits, attack the messenger. Especially their looks.

Fager Fan
07-29-2017, 05:58 PM
I distinctly remember the left's fat jokes regarding Christie and all the snarky jokes about Trump's hair and "orange" face, so I wouldn't be too smug about people commenting on looks.

thaskalos
07-29-2017, 06:26 PM
I distinctly remember the left's fat jokes regarding Christie and all the snarky jokes about Trump's hair and "orange" face, so I wouldn't be too smug about people commenting on looks.

Did you forget the RIGHT'S fat jokes about Christie? On this site...Christie has gotten insulted more by the right than he has by the left.

RunForTheRoses
07-29-2017, 06:42 PM
http://www.johnziegler.com/editorials_details.asp?editorial=223

Noonan? She's a lefty in most cases

She's a typical out of touch cuckservative. let her type rot on the vine.

RunForTheRoses
07-29-2017, 06:43 PM
George Bush the Younger (aka the Lesser) took a lot of ugly stuff, remember the monkey memes?

reckless
07-29-2017, 06:49 PM
But when Noonan was praising Romney prior to the 2012 election, she wasn't so "unattractive"...RIGHT?

For the record, I never sang the praises of Mitt Romney. Actually, I was one of the first on here to knock Mittens and his brand of pseudo conservatism for many years. So, if an old douce bag such as the clueless Peggy Noonan liked Romney, well that will that make sense.

Peggy Noonan has always been 'unattractive'.... RIGHT? Yes, right. She has.

Now, no one expects you to change your ways after all these very tiresome years but it will help us to know what you're talking about once in a while.

I don't know what the hell you're talking most of the time, but then I am not an old sour puss either.

The one poster who called you the most 'overrated' poster on here was being kind, I promise you.

reckless
07-29-2017, 06:52 PM
When you can't debate the merits, attack the messenger. Especially their looks.

Well if some of us attack the stupidity of some the lame brain posters they risk getting a yellow card and possibly be banned from the place.

As for you, you've never won a debate, especially on the merits.

thaskalos
07-29-2017, 07:52 PM
For the record, I never sang the praises of Mitt Romney. Actually, I was one of the first on here to knock Mittens and his brand of pseudo conservatism for many years. So, if an old douce bag such as the clueless Peggy Noonan liked Romney, well that will that make sense.

Peggy Noonan has always been 'unattractive'.... RIGHT? Yes, right. She has.

Now, no one expects you to change your ways after all these very tiresome years but it will help us to know what you're talking about once in a while.

I don't know what the hell you're talking most of the time, but then I am not an old sour puss either.

The one poster who called you the most 'overrated' poster on here was being kind, I promise you.

I must say that it hurts me to see that you find my posts "tiresome"...because you are exactly the sort of person that I come here to impress. In fact...if you are not my favorite poster here...you are certainly in the top two. And I always thought that you were an older fellow, like me. But now that I find that you are much younger...I am even MORE impressed by your high level of intelligence. :ThmbUp:

Fager Fan
07-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Did you forget the RIGHT'S fat jokes about Christie? On this site...Christie has gotten insulted more by the right than he has by the left.

I don't care if either side makes the jokes. I just don't like hypocrites and hypersensitivity.

This is all big freaking deal. Why are we talking about this? This Anan stuff is real, and really is a big freaking deal.

barahona44
07-29-2017, 08:52 PM
I guess I would have to read the article to get the reasoning, but I'm at a loss as to why Woody Allen , whose persona both on screen (nebbishy nuerotic) and off screen, (despite being nominated 20 or so times, usually for screenwriting, Allen has only attended one Oscar ceremony and he rarely grants interviews) is about as far from Donald Trump as possible, would be the comparison. :confused:

They are both from New York but then so are eight million other people.

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Unfortuately the Wall Street Journal is a pay for site, but I've included some excerpts fron Noonan's column I found elsewhere.

Trump did not marry his daughter.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-02-2017, 12:59 AM
Fantastic.

She tries to imply that the President's wife is the bigger man, while trying to do it "intelligently".

I'd love to see her diatribes when Billy was nailing Monica, and her heartfelt and senseless crying for Hillary.

Fager Fan
08-02-2017, 07:46 AM
I guess I would have to read the article to get the reasoning, but I'm at a loss as to why Woody Allen , whose persona both on screen (nebbishy nuerotic) and off screen, (despite being nominated 20 or so times, usually for screenwriting, Allen has only attended one Oscar ceremony and he rarely grants interviews) is about as far from Donald Trump as possible, would be the comparison. :confused:

They are both from New York but then so are eight million other people.

I wondered the same. Woody Allen is known for his humor? The only thing I know about Allen is that he writes and directs movies that I've never thought looked interesting enough to watch, and he left his wife to marry the wife's adopted daughter that he'd been having an affair with while "fathering" her.

The left didn't mind that, just like they didn't mind Roman Polanski. Yet they go nuts about Trump. The left is so full of crap I'm surprised they can see thru the thick brown haze.

jms62
08-02-2017, 09:10 AM
I wondered the same. Woody Allen is known for his humor? The only thing I know about Allen is that he writes and directs movies that I've never thought looked interesting enough to watch, and he left his wife to marry the wife's adopted daughter that he'd been having an affair with while "fathering" her.

The left didn't mind that, just like they didn't mind Roman Polanski. Yet they go nuts about Trump. The left is so full of crap I'm surprised they can see thru the thick brown haze.

So you are ok with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMp241gAcw