PDA

View Full Version : A different perspective on match races

RacingFan1992
07-27-2017, 01:29 PM
I saw an article about suggesting a match race between Always Dreaming and Cloud Computing. People were upset and furious citing it was a bad idea because look at Ruffian and Foolish Pleasure. Some of you on hear would turn up your nose and say from a betting standpoint they offer nothing. I get it that people want to see a full field which is the good old fashioned way to see a horse race.

I got to thinking what is a match race. It is two horses pitted against one another to see who is faster. The race usually involves hot fractions that easily become detrimental to good horse. My question is how many times have seen a full field of horses race and it becomes a match race where two horses get locked into a speed duel and are killing each other then one of them either pulls up or breaks down.

1990 Bayakoa vs Go For Wand

and

1995 Cigar vs Holy Bull

Why is it that the argument stops at ruffian and foolish pleasure. It was clearly a match race with the two cases above. Why isn't anyone complaining about these two cases. Is it because they technically weren't match races but full fields but in actuality they were. Thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

DeltaLover
07-27-2017, 01:54 PM
I saw an article about suggesting a match race between Always Dreaming and Cloud Computing. People were upset and furious citing it was a bad idea because look at Ruffian and Foolish Pleasure. Some of you on hear would turn up your nose and say from a betting standpoint they offer nothing. I get it that people want to see a full field which is the good old fashioned way to see a horse race.

I got to thinking what is a match race. It is two horses pitted against one another to see who is faster. The race usually involves hot fractions that easily become detrimental to good horse. My question is how many times have seen a full field of horses race and it becomes a match race where two horses get locked into a speed duel and are killing each other then one of them either pulls up or breaks down.

1990 Bayakoa vs Go For Wand

and

1995 Cigar vs Holy Bull

Why is it that the argument stops at ruffian and foolish pleasure. It was clearly a match race with the two cases above. Why isn't anyone complaining about these two cases. Is it because they technically weren't match races but full fields but in actuality they were. Thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

As a bettor I have nothing to gain from match races while, I have something to lose as the betting capital allocated for this kind of purses can be used to create a more interesting betting event. I would have no objection for a match race which will run either as the first or the last race of a card and with absolutely no funding from the pools.

MonmouthParkJoe
07-27-2017, 07:44 PM
The idea of a match race is central to racing's "identity". Are we a gambling establishment, a form of entertainment, a mix?

It would certainly be entertaining, but from a gambling aspect I would pass. Or use the "all" button in my pick 5 :D

letswastemoney
07-27-2017, 10:29 PM
I like the seeing a race unfold with speed, stalkers and closers. I don't want to see 2 horses sent out of the gate only to watch them stagger home.

castaway01
07-28-2017, 09:44 AM
The idea of a match race is central to racing's "identity". Are we a gambling establishment, a form of entertainment, a mix?

It would certainly be entertaining, but from a gambling aspect I would pass. Or use the "all" button in my pick 5 :D

You forgot to add "in 1787" after "identity"

Robert Fischer
07-28-2017, 10:05 AM
I'd love a match race with significant handicap weight assigned, and zero takeout.

I don't believe in the added-danger theories.

rastajenk
07-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Belterra's Sixth Race is scratched down to two, so match race fans can get their fix this afternoon.

cj
07-30-2017, 02:16 AM
Belterra's Sixth Race is scratched down to two, so match race fans can get their fix this afternoon.

And there was yet another one at Laurel Saturday...10th of the year in North America.

Tom
07-30-2017, 12:23 PM
I like the seeing a race unfold with speed, stalkers and closers. I don't want to see 2 horses sent out of the gate only to watch them stagger home.

They have a name for that kind of race.....Jim Dandy.