PDA

View Full Version : Baffert's gray/white hair

NY BRED
07-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Bob joked while being interviewed by TVG yesterday, stating losses
by some of his major tbreds may have contributed to his gray har.

Today's inquiry as the Spa may have also impacted his "roots"

ironically Mike Smith mentioned he rode A T Cordero style;

I really believe Angel forced Smith out of NY , wouldn't be surprised to see
Ortiz,who has(had?) Angel as his agent repay the favor if they meet again
in a race in NY.

GMB@BP
07-23-2017, 08:56 PM
in a race in NY.

Never heard that one before

NY BRED
07-25-2017, 10:14 PM
In the late 1980's many of the NY Jockeys went on strike demanding
better pay,edical benefits etc.

I believe struggling jockeys from other State swere contacted ,
and Mike Smith was one of the Jockeys that came from the
far west to compete in NY.

Did a quick check, could not find this specific information pn the internet.

Regardless, I believe these two jocks weren't exactly buddies
and Mike's statement on Sunday confirms that thought.

Anyone recall Mike's arrival in NY ?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

GMB@BP
07-25-2017, 10:27 PM

I will have to ask on that one. I did have dinner once with Smith, JV and Cordero once and all I remember was this guy is a legend (Cordero) and he was so cool. Was the night I met Paul LoDuca and thought he was very easy to talk to for a pro ball player. It was a big group at the BC, maybe 06 or something like that.

cj
07-25-2017, 10:48 PM

The timing looks off for Smith according to this article. He arrived in 1989.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-12-22/sports/sp-11735_1_exercise-rider

Dahoss9698
07-25-2017, 11:01 PM
Bob joked while being interviewed by TVG yesterday, stating losses
by some of his major tbreds may have contributed to his gray har.

Today's inquiry as the Spa may have also impacted his "roots"

ironically Mike Smith mentioned he rode A T Cordero style;

in a race in NY.

When did Angel represent Jose Ortiz?

ReplayRandall
07-25-2017, 11:21 PM
When did Angel represent Jose Ortiz?

Since Jose came to the states in 2012, his agent from the start and presently is Jim Riccio Jr.......Angel is a family friend through the Ortiz brother's mentor, who is Pito Rosa.

Dahoss9698
07-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Since Jose came to the states in 2012, his agent from the start and presently is Jim Riccio Jr.......Angel is a family friend through the Ortiz brother's mentor, who is Pito Rosa.

Yeah I didn't think he ever was. Angel's been Johnny V's agent forever and was representing Eric Cancel for a bit and might still be.

lamboguy
07-26-2017, 11:42 AM
Since Jose came to the states in 2012, his agent from the start and presently is Jim Riccio Jr.......Angel is a family friend through the Ortiz brother's mentor, who is Pito Rosa.if i am not mistaken, STEVE RUSHING represents Irad Ortiz.

ReplayRandall
07-26-2017, 12:13 PM
if i am not mistaken, STEVE RUSHING represents Irad Ortiz.

True, but we were discussing Jose, not Irad. FWIW, Riccio carries Eddie Castro's book as well as Jose Ortiz's....

Dahoss9698
07-26-2017, 12:53 PM
True, but we were discussing Jose, not Irad. FWIW, Riccio carries Eddie Castro's book as well as Jose Ortiz's....

Joe Bravo too, right?

ReplayRandall
07-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Joe Bravo too, right?

Danny Neid has Joe Bravo's book....

AskinHaskin
07-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Confirming that Mike Smith's first recorded mounts at NYRA tracks were at Aqueduct (and only Aqueduct) during the year "1989".

There were 137 mounts in total, and they could have been in December, or March of '89, for all I can tell without deeper scrutiny.

Dahoss9698
07-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Danny Neid has Joe Bravo's book....

According to Jimmy Riccio's twitter he has Bravo's book

ReplayRandall
07-26-2017, 02:10 PM
According to Jimmy Riccio's twitter he has Bravo's book

When he set up his twitter account in 2013, those were his jocks.....He just failed to update his intro page....Notice how he doesn't mention Eddie Castro?....Maybe it's something he just overlooked.

http://thoroughbredtrainersinformationguide.com/jockeyagent-directory/saratoga/

reckless
07-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Confirming that Mike Smith's first recorded mounts at NYRA tracks were at Aqueduct (and only Aqueduct) during the year "1989".

There were 137 mounts in total, and they could have been in December, or March of '89, for all I can tell without deeper scrutiny.

It was at Aqueduct late in the season. One day, Mike gave an absolutely great ride for trainer Bobby Lake. It was on the inner track and Mike put the horse on the rail... and stayed, and stayed, and stayed until the very last-sixteenth or so. Then the slightest of holes opened and boom, Smith went through and won going away. The horse was like 10-1 and not some sure thing.

There was buzz throughout the grandstand, and I personally heard more than one person say stuff like: 'cool ride', 'patient ride' and 'those other jocks would have snatched the horse up and go 5-wide', and 'they all go wide around here'. People noticed that Smith stayed on the inside and was very, very patient.

I truly think that ride really may have helped get Smith started in New York and the rest as they say is history.

Steve Adika may have been Smith's first agent in New York, if memory serves me well.

Dahoss9698
07-26-2017, 02:56 PM
When he set up his twitter account in 2013, those were his jocks.....He just failed to update his intro page....Notice how he doesn't mention Eddie Castro?....Maybe it's something he just overlooked.

http://thoroughbredtrainersinformationguide.com/jockeyagent-directory/saratoga/

That guide is years old. It still has Castellano with Matt Muzikar. Look at some of the names on it. He has Joe Bravo and Jose Ortiz currently. He no longer represents Eddie Castro.

ReplayRandall
07-26-2017, 03:48 PM
That guide is years old. It still has Castellano with Matt Muzikar. Look at some of the names on it. He has Joe Bravo and Jose Ortiz currently. He no longer represents Eddie Castro.

Made a couple of phone calls....you're correct.

soonboomer
07-26-2017, 10:23 PM
It was at Aqueduct late in the season. One day, Mike gave an absolutely great ride for trainer Bobby Lake. It was on the inner track and Mike put the horse on the rail... and stayed, and stayed, and stayed until the very last-sixteenth or so. Then the slightest of holes opened and boom, Smith went through and won going away. The horse was like 10-1 and not some sure thing.

There was buzz throughout the grandstand, and I personally heard more than one person say stuff like: 'cool ride', 'patient ride' and 'those other jocks would have snatched the horse up and go 5-wide', and 'they all go wide around here'. People noticed that Smith stayed on the inside and was very, very patient.

I truly think that ride really may have helped get Smith started in New York and the rest as they say is history.

Steve Adika may have been Smith's first agent in New York, if memory serves me well.

Smith rode at Remington at the inaugural meet fall '88. Won a bunch of races......everyone knew he could ride.

GMB@BP
07-26-2017, 10:31 PM

now there is a name I have not heard in a long while