PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather vs McGregor

kevb
07-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Who's gonna win?

kevb
07-17-2017, 09:02 AM
I think McGregor will pull up lame before the fight. It works for McGregor two ways. 1) he avoids the humiliation of getting whipped in the ring, and 2) he "beats" Mayweather by denying him the pay day Mayweather need for his back taxes.

Inner Dirt
07-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Someone picked McGregor I would love to hear their reasoning. Predicting rounds is a tough call. Even though McGregor will have trouble laying a glove on Mayweather, Floyd doesn't take risks and isn't huge in the power department. Pretty sure Mayweather would have no trouble winning every round and taking it the distance, but I don't think that would happen because of the condition of McGregor's face. I will go with Mayweather over 4 rounds, stopped on cuts.

Robert Fischer
07-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Looks like an entertainment event, more than a serious sporting event.

Potential to be a good show(or a gimmicky disrespect to the game), and it will be a good payday.

Can McGregor box well enough to add any sense of legitimacy?

Can Mayweather act well enough to help McGregor portray a sense of legitimacy?

olddaddy
07-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Mayweather will carry the tomato can, it will be over 4.

PICSIX
07-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Rumors that McGregor has been knocked out in sparring! How many rounds can Mayweather carry the fight?

Lemon Drop Husker
07-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Retired boxer going against an MMA guy. :rolleyes:

They are having 4 sites for s media pump up to promote this "fight".

MMA geeks are gonna pay the absurd $100 to watch this disaster.

What a complete waste of time and money from anybody and everybody involved.

kevb
07-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Something to think about:

http://bit.ly/2uHhfOh

If the fight goes, then I think McGregor will bum rush Mayweather and throw bombs for about a minute. If he connects, anything could happen, but that doesn't work, then he is in for a long night of hurt and humiliation.

Dahoss2002
07-19-2017, 03:55 AM
Mayweather TKO by 5th round

Inner Dirt
07-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Something to think about:

http://bit.ly/2uHhfOh

If the fight goes, then I think McGregor will bum rush Mayweather and throw bombs for about a minute. If he connects, anything could happen, but that doesn't work, then he is in for a long night of hurt and humiliation.

Way better boxers than McGregor have tried that on Mayweather and last I checked he is 49-0 and has not officially been knocked down. He is the master of not getting hit and slipping punches.

Robert Fischer
07-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Way better boxers than McGregor have tried that on Mayweather and last I checked he is 49-0 and has not officially been knocked down. He is the master of not getting hit and slipping punches.
:ThmbUp:

The guy who made this video has the technical knowledge of a boxing trainer.
Usually breaks down the action and blends it with some music.
He has a nice collection of boxing videos on his yt page. The Ali-Foreman breakdown and the 'short studies' video series are some of my favorites.

here, he dissects Money Mayweather's game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmdJXCBU068

Inner Dirt
07-19-2017, 12:35 PM
:ThmbUp:

The guy who made this video has the technical knowledge of a boxing trainer.
Usually breaks down the action and blends it with some music.
He has a nice collection of boxing videos on his yt page. The Ali-Foreman breakdown and the 'short studies' video series are some of my favorites.

here, he dissects Money Mayweather's game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmdJXCBU068

And there are enough people who think a fighter with ZERO professional boxing matches has a chance against this guy that he is only -700 to win.
Mayweather has to be the most unbeatable 1-9 horse in the history of gambling. This would be like Secretariat in his prime racing mules going 1 1/2 miles at Belmont.

Robert Fischer
07-19-2017, 02:13 PM
And there are enough people who think a fighter with ZERO professional boxing matches has a chance against this guy that he is only -700 to win.
Mayweather has to be the most unbeatable 1-9 horse in the history of gambling. This would be like Secretariat in his prime racing mules going 1 1/2 miles at Belmont.

If the fight is on the level, I agree.

jms62
07-19-2017, 02:27 PM
If the fight is on the level, I agree.

Ding... Ding... Ding... Imagine the money involved if McGregor scores a "Lucky" KO. We are talking 2 rematches

Track Collector
07-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Ding... Ding... Ding... Imagine the money involved if McGregor scores a "Lucky" KO. We are talking 2 rematches

We are talking Mayweather here. Money is extremely enticing, but his ego will demand that his undefeated record be protected at all costs for his boxing legacy. That said, I see him minimizing all potential risks via his skillful boxing talents, taking the easy money, shutting up McGregor by TKO or totally lopsided decision, and making this a one and done match.

_______
07-24-2017, 07:58 PM
The whole thing is a shit show.

Mayweather will unquestionably win this battle but McGregor and MMA will just as unquestionably win the war.

MMA will be dancing on boxing's grave in 10 years. This fight marks the day when boxing recognized it's new master and bowed.

zico20
07-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Mayweather can win in any round he pleases. The 20th ranked boxer in his weight range would easily defeat McGregor.

kevb
08-21-2017, 06:39 AM
The whole thing is a shit show.

Mayweather will unquestionably win this battle but McGregor and MMA will just as unquestionably win the war.

MMA will be dancing on boxing's grave in 10 years. This fight marks the day when boxing recognized it's new master and bowed.

You might well be right, but I an looking forward to the fight. I'm not going to pay to watch it, but there is some drama--a different kind of drama that would be in a Mayweather out of retirement vs whoever is #2 #3 or #7.

Here is a link to an interesting article about the "fight".
http://bit.ly/2wgN9l5

Lou DiBella, Boxing:
“I don’t believe anyone’s getting cheated, I don’t believe it’s immoral or unethical,” DiBella says. “It is what it is. The world is the world. There are a lot of things I shake my head at all the time in 21st-century America. People like events and celebrity and conflict and immediate gratification.

“I don’t understand the Kardashians being stars. I don’t understand Housewife shows... It’s happening because a lot of people want to pay to see it.”

mountainman
08-22-2017, 10:23 AM
My brother and I will buy the fight because it's an event. A fun novelty. But Mayweather is a cinch. He will torture his foe.

And even IF McGregor manages to land a bomb, who says it will phase Mayweather??? Mayweather's granite chin is by far his most overlooked attribute. I've seen strong punchers land big shots, but Mayweather barely blinked.

Mc990
08-22-2017, 02:46 PM
This fight line has to be one of the more absurd things I've ever seen in gambling. It's currently sitting anywhere between -400 and -500...

Yes, this fight is a sideshow but it's also an opportunity that doesn't come around too often. The edge on Mayweather at this number is substantial... It has to close higher, right? Are the books going to get any buy back? At what number?

It's fascinating to me.

_______
08-22-2017, 02:59 PM
This fight line has to be one of the more absurd things I've ever seen in gambling. It's currently sitting anywhere between -400 and -500...

Yes, this fight is a sideshow but it's also an opportunity that doesn't come around too often. The edge on Mayweather at this number is substantial... It has to close higher, right? Are the books going to get any buy back? At what number?

It's fascinating to me.

Kevb's link above had a quote from the manager at a book that bettors aren't even asking the odds before betting on McGregor.

This is one of the rare occasions where a prohibitive favorite is actually an overlay.

I got -450 at Bovada. I won't watch the fight but I bet it.

proximity
08-22-2017, 05:05 PM
if floyd loses this right on the heels of being unfollowed by bieber on instagram...... :faint:

barn32
08-22-2017, 05:45 PM
I think this fight will go the distance, so that makes the best bet Mayweather in a decision for ~+275.

Inner Dirt
08-25-2017, 08:35 AM
I can't for the life of me believe this event will be as profitable as they expect. Around me looks like just Hooters and large movie theater chains are showing it. The theaters want $40 a head, Hooters $50 with $30 a food voucher for future visits. Since I never eat at Hooters might as well figure their cost at $50. With those prices why would anyone go out and watch the fight?

Not worth it for those prices to satisfy my curiosity to see if Mayweather will just embarrass him and make him a bloody mess. I though maybe Joe's Dive Bar & Grill would show it for the cost of a couple beers and a burger, no such luck.

lamboguy
08-25-2017, 09:06 AM
i was in Vegas the week of the McNeely Tyson fight. Showtime had a deal that if the fight doesn't go 4 rounds you get your money back.

the fight line is Tyson -3500.

i see Vinney Vecchione who was McNeely's trainer. he was also a horse trainer at some point of time. he comes up to me and asks me if i can get down on the under for him at the sport books. i told him to take a hike.

i wound up betting it myself knowing Vinnie's as a double crosser. Showtime or someone associated with the fight had to say something to Tyson to make sure he doesn't split that kids head open until at least the 4th round.

the fight starts and sure as hell, 30 seconds into the fight Vecchione gets cute and throws his white towel into the ring and the referee stops the fight.

when i had placed my bet at the Mirage at the time, Jimmy Vaccaro came up to me and said he was loaded on the over and that i could bet as much as i wanted on under without moving the number!

the only ones that won on the fight were the sports books, Showtime had to lose a lot of money and i have no idea if Tyson got paid the full $6 million for the fight.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-25-2017, 08:07 PM
I think this fight will go the distance, so that makes the best bet Mayweather in a decision for ~+275.

I wouldn't bet this "fight" if my worst enemy gave me free money to wager on the event.

lamboguy
08-25-2017, 08:21 PM
i just looked at the line and its only 4-1. that don't sound right to me

_______
08-25-2017, 09:32 PM
i just looked at the line and its only 4-1. that don't sound right to me

It's not. He would be an underlay at 15-1.

Inner Dirt
08-26-2017, 08:52 AM
I would be curious as to the background of the people betting McGregor. I would venture a guess most are MMA fans that don't know much about Floyd Mayweather or even boxing for that matter and are the type that rarely bet on anything. Like I have said before, even top notch amateur fighters that have won Olympic medals start out fighting club fighters with uninspiring records. We have a guy making his pro boxing debut against a guy who is 49-0 and whose style doesn't even give him a punchers chance. This might not be as ugly as it should because of Mayweather's style.

Hank
08-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Voila

Tom
08-26-2017, 06:21 PM
People are paying to see this thing????
WWE is free and just as legit.:lol:

lamboguy
08-26-2017, 07:26 PM
https://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/mayweather-vs-mcgregor-fight-odds-pop-bets/

this still looks crazy to me!

jimmyb
08-26-2017, 08:58 PM
How many rounds will Floyd carry McGregor? I say 4.

PhantomOnTour
08-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else hope that McGregor gets frustrated and decides to go MMA on Mayweather and roundhouse him to the head?
That way they both lose...best case scenario IMO
:D

PhantomOnTour
08-26-2017, 11:30 PM
Fight delayed...cable companies/PPV entities are crashing all over the country

dartman51
08-27-2017, 12:54 AM
Ref stops it in the 10th. Favor Mayweather. No knockdowns. :eek:

CincyHorseplayer
08-27-2017, 03:10 AM
I was pissed. This is why I grew up on boxing and hate it now. Let a MF'er get KO'd like the good old days. 1 more round and the Mick would have been obliterated!

JustRalph
08-27-2017, 10:15 AM
That was easy money for Mayweather....

From the highlights I saw, Mayweather barely broke a sweat

MutuelClerk
08-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Pretty good overall. Floyd let McGregor punch himself out. Stamina was the key. McGregor knows all these submission moves and such but he didn't seem to have much leverage in his punches. If he did, maybe a different fight. I thought the ref stopped the fight at the right time. I'm not so sure the good ole days is the way to go when fighters after their careers have brains like scrambled eggs and cant complete sentences. Floyd fought everyone early in his career. Kind of picked his spots later. Great fighter. Even better businessman telling the Arums and the Kings to go intercourse themselves. Admittedly not the greatest person on the planet.

Tom
08-27-2017, 11:51 AM
I'm not so sure the good ole days is the way to go when fighters after their careers have brains like scrambled eggs and cant complete sentences.

Don't most of them start out that way?

PhantomOnTour
08-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Teddy Atlas was fantastic in the post fight commentary on ESPN

lamboguy
08-27-2017, 12:34 PM
i just saw that one guy got $100 million and the other $30 million for the ten rounds and they will probably do it again for more money!

jimmyb
08-27-2017, 01:13 PM
The fight in it's entire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOZcarvsTM

elysiantraveller
08-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Went a little longer than I expected and Conor had a pretty good strategy going into the fight and was surprisingly controlled. Once that right hand got tired of being up though Floyd went to work pretty quickly.

mountainman
08-27-2017, 04:16 PM
The guy hits like a little girl. Mayweather figured that out and then waded right through McGregor's best punches with utter contempt.