PDA

View Full Version : Seen the LA Dodgers record? Houston?

JustRalph
07-16-2017, 02:58 AM
Dodgers are 63-29

Houston a couple games behind that

Dodgers on pace for 111 wins according to MLB Tv

Amazing stuff.....

thaskalos
07-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Houston is making a mockery of the AL...but the Dodger/Washington matchup promises some late-season excitement in the NL. The Scherzer/Strasburg/Gonzalez pitching lineup cannot be taken lightly...and the Nationals offense is more than adequate for the task at hand. If only they could patch up that horrendous relief pitching that they are plagued with.

Zydeco
07-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Especially the way the Dodgers started.

barahona44
07-16-2017, 06:26 PM
1998 Yankees
2009 Yankees
2013 Red Sox
2016 Cubs

Those are the only 4 teams in the past 22 seasons, when the wild card playoff format was introduced, that have won the World Series with the best regular season record.

The best team still has to play two short playoff rounds where anything can and does happen.Often, the best record is a byproduct of playing almost half your games in a crap division.

olddaddy
07-16-2017, 07:56 PM
And dont forget what injuries can do to a team. Remember the wahoos of last year, one can only imagine how things would have turned out if their starting staff wasnt decimated with injuries.

horses4courses
07-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Give Houston and the Dodgers a "special award" for excellence through June.:lol:
The real season begins in October.

kingfin66
07-18-2017, 10:55 PM
2001 Seattle Mariners. Tied the MLB season record for wins with 116. The rest is abysmal history.

Valuist
08-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Great examples and Kingfin mentioned the 2001 Mariners. It's a long season with highs and lows. Having said that, the Dodgers deserve to be the solid favorite to win it all. Great lineup, starting pitching and bullpen. Not many weaknesses.

Jeff P
08-04-2017, 06:03 PM
The Dodgers obviously have talent.

In my mind the question becomes:

Can they get it done when it counts?

Source:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kershcl01.shtml

Clayton Kershaw W L PCT ERA
-----------------------------------
Reg Season: 141 62 .695 2.34
Post Season: 4 7 .364 4.55

-jp

JustRalph
10-22-2017, 01:59 AM
Give Houston and the Dodgers a "special award" for excellence through June.:lol:
The real season begins in October.

Ok....what do we give them now?

How about a World Series........

CincyHorseplayer
10-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Being in Cincy loved watching the Scrubbies get analized at Wrigley! Borderline or sometimes actual fight at every Reds-Cubs game. Anyway I can't believe how good the Dodgers look at the plate and I'm not talking about the names. There are guys I barely know who are killin it! Houston hitting sub .200 for the ALCS was disturbing as they are a solid offensive team. But this should be a good WS. Hey and good eye if only on the obvious in June! 162 don't lie!

Secondbest
10-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Go Astros

kingfin66
10-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Ok....what do we give them now?

How about a World Series........

It is nice to see two really good teams in the World Series. You never know what can happen with wild cards and multiple series to be won. This is first time that two 100-win teams have been in the WS since 1970. I am still surprised that neither Washington nor Cleveland even got to the LCS. In particular, I thought the Nats were the most complete team.

Marshall Bennett
10-22-2017, 12:43 PM
First game I believe is crucial for both teams. Giving the Astros a leg up by winning game 1 on the road could be huge.
Go Astros!! :)

barahona44
10-22-2017, 12:47 PM
Houston hitting sub .200 for the ALCS was disturbing as they are a solid offensive team.

You is exactly correct which is why methinks the Astros are going to win it all.Good hitters don't stay that way forever and the Astros were making solid contact last night even on their outs.Looking for a turnaround, Houston in 6 ,I sez.

Geesh, I'm old enough to remember when Houston was called the Colt 45's!

Valuist
10-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Seager back for the LAD is big. He's such an important part to both their offense and defense. Let's see how Kershaw is in game 1. He hasn't been nearly the pitcher in postseason that he is during the regular season. Must win for LAD in game 1. Astros will have Verlander going in game 2 and he has been lights out since coming over from Detroit.

JustRalph
11-02-2017, 12:23 AM
A great WSeries

Vindicated the thread

Fireworks going off everywhere

Houston :ThmbUp:

ElKabong
11-02-2017, 01:01 AM
Great examples and Kingfin mentioned the 2001 Mariners. It's a long season with highs and lows. Having said that, the Dodgers deserve to be the solid favorite to win it all. Great lineup, starting pitching and bullpen. Not many weaknesses.

You pretty much summarized the situation, save one weakness. The way the manager handles the pitching staff.

I thought he put the staff in a bind since game two....even tho it was darvish that eventually buried their chances with a poor start tonight...All during game seven I was thinking that the LA pitching would crater if the dodgers ever made a comeback. Just had that feeling. Even their closer looked gassed tonight

dnlgfnk
11-02-2017, 02:09 AM
You pretty much summarized the situation, save one weakness. The way the manager handles the pitching staff.

I thought he put the staff in a bind since game two....even tho it was darvish that eventually buried their chances with a poor start tonight...All during game seven I was thinking that the LA pitching would crater if the dodgers ever made a comeback. Just had that feeling. Even their closer looked gassed tonight

The Dodgers received nothing from Darvish, who relies significantly on a slider, said to be the type of pitch that the slicker World Series baseballs were affecting negatively.

thaskalos
11-02-2017, 03:23 AM
Darvish didn't deliver in the series...but neither did the highly-praised top 5 of the Dodger lineup. Turner was a non-factor...and Bellinger was exposed as being no match for the breaking-ball. A great series, but an anti-climactic final game. Springer was awesome...and Morton and Peacock showed up when it counted most. The best team prevailed, just like last year...IMO.

Marshall Bennett
11-02-2017, 06:23 AM
Been waiting over 50 years for this day. ** ASTROS ** :headbanger: