PDA

View Full Version : Huntress Helena

Peter Berry
07-15-2017, 05:00 PM
For those of you not up to speed, Huntress Helena will race on back-to-back cards at Mountaineer. She scored her easiest win ever on Wednesday and backs up again on Sunday. Her record in 2-furlong races now stands at 20-16-3-1.

VeryOldMan
07-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

She is the final boss at 2f. Not in the same league, but it reminds me of Immortal Eyes at 4 1/2f at Charles Town for a very long time. Can be beaten but it takes work.

Zaf
07-15-2017, 11:41 PM
For those of you not up to speed, Huntress Helena will race on back-to-back cards at Mountaineer. She scored her easiest win ever on Wednesday and backs up again on Sunday. Her record in 2-furlong races now stands at 20-16-3-1.

Wow :ThmbUp: Looking forward to watching :headbanger:

Z

tanner12oz
07-16-2017, 01:55 PM
show plungers will be out in full force

lamboguy
07-16-2017, 03:24 PM
the same owner has 2 in that race, one of them might scratch.

Zaf
07-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Wow , What a performance !!! :headbanger:

Z

menifee
07-17-2017, 03:04 AM
She's unreal. It's unreal that they keep show plunging on her and she keeps hitting the board in every 2f race. There has to be another start like September 28, 2015 coming soon though... Also, at some point father time catches up to everyone.

UnionRags
07-17-2017, 03:41 AM
Appealing yankee> hh

mountainman
07-17-2017, 11:40 AM
She's unreal. It's unreal that they keep show plunging on her and she keeps hitting the board in every 2f race. There has to be another start like September 28, 2015 coming soon though... Also, at some point father time catches up to everyone.

There are classier horses at other tracks whose trainers could jack them up and probably beat Huntress Helena-my guess is more than a few. But the monetary incentive just isn't there.

Her best asset in a matchup with a potentially faster rival would be her good habits and professional conduct. She breaks cleanly and keeps a straight course. She just doesn't beat herself. And that's HUGE at 440. She was originally purchased, btw, for a mere 2k.

The next round of 2-furlong races will be written under starter/alw conditions complete with penalty clause.

It has crossed my mind to blog about her, but it's such an obvious topic..and Pete and I have beaten it to death on the feed.

If she seems even a bit more invincible than usual these days, I would attribute that to Rex Stokes. He's unreal from the gate and has mad skills. Skills perhaps squandered throughout a career that should have been epic.

lamboguy
07-17-2017, 12:09 PM
HUNTRESS HELENA answers the bell every time she steps on a race track. she was way more exciting to watch than SONGBIRD was Saturday.

people love to see stars of the sport like HUNTRESS HELENA. i talk about her all the time because she is my favorite horse right now and i only hope she keeps on winning.

onefast99
07-17-2017, 12:59 PM
HUNTRESS HELENA answers the bell every time she steps on a race track. she was way more exciting to watch than SONGBIRD was Saturday.

people love to see stars of the sport like HUNTRESS HELENA. i talk about her all the time because she is my favorite horse right now and i only hope she keeps on winning.
songbird looked good but Huntress looked unreal.

menifee
07-17-2017, 02:44 PM
There are classier horses at other tracks whose trainers could jack them up and probably beat Huntress Helena-my guess is more than a few. But the monetary incentive just isn't there.

Her best asset in a matchup with a potentially faster rival would be her good habits and professional conduct. She breaks cleanly and keeps a straight course. She just doesn't beat herself. And that's HUGE at 440. She was originally purchased, btw, for a mere 2k.

The next round of 2-furlong races will be written under starter/alw conditions complete with penalty clause.

It has crossed my mind to blog about her, but it's such an obvious topic..and Pete and I have beaten it to death on the feed.

If she seems even a bit more invincible than usual these days, I would attribute that to Rex Stokes. He's unreal from the gate and has mad skills. Skills perhaps squandered throughout a career that should have been epic.

I would love to see how she would do in a 440 race with top quarter horses. Has the Mountain ever carded a race with QH?

tanner12oz
07-17-2017, 06:37 PM
write a race for her on derby day

tanner12oz
07-17-2017, 08:47 PM
Who loses money in these negative show pools? Is it the track? They don't have to card these races I assume? Why would they keep carding these races if they are going to lose money on them? Maybe these are dumb questions but just some thoughts

mountainman
07-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Who loses money in these negative show pools? Is it the track? They don't have to card these races I assume? Why would they keep carding these races if they are going to lose money on them? Maybe these are dumb questions but just some thoughts

To my understanding, sir, whatever service or outlet incurring a minus pool in fact covers the loss.

Consequently, I do walk a fine line when endorsing specific bridge jumps. A very fine line.

It would be a bit more complicated to explain why we keep carding those races-and why they keep filling. But I'm willing when I get time.

Good derby field taking shape, btw, including a very prominent "get." For now , though, must remain silent as our rag tag forces battle those villians at Monmouth and Saratoga.

MonmouthParkJoe
07-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Correct on the negative pool part.

While I have no idea why they card these races I can maybe guess one small reason.

I never, ever, ever, watch or wager anything on Mountaineer. Over the last 15 years I really cant think of one single time. HOWEVER....

Since this board brought to my attention this horse, I have been making it a point to watch her races. This leads to me taking a look at the card she is running on. Followed by.....me betting on a number of races!

She is no Arrogate or CC, but I am a fan of her. I like watching her run, and as a result of them carding these races I am getting more exposure to their product and wagering on it. So while the races themselves arent great betting affairs, I am betting else.

Track Collector
07-18-2017, 05:59 PM
show plungers will be out in full force

This horse may be interesting to watch and fun to root for, but when it comes to large individual show bets, the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" is just waiting to be fulfilled.

With such an awesome record at 2f, I am surprised others want to run against Huntress Helena, unless they view it as a "paid" workout.

tanner12oz
07-19-2017, 02:57 PM
when she eventually runs outta the money which seems highly unlikely but will probably happen when ya least expect it the payouts will be astronomical

mountainman
07-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Correct on the negative pool part.

While I have no idea why they card these races I can maybe guess one small reason.

I never, ever, ever, watch or wager anything on Mountaineer. Over the last 15 years I really cant think of one single time. HOWEVER....

Since this board brought to my attention this horse, I have been making it a point to watch her races. This leads to me taking a look at the card she is running on. Followed by.....me betting on a number of races!

She is no Arrogate or CC, but I am a fan of her. I like watching her run, and as a result of them carding these races I am getting more exposure to their product and wagering on it. So while the races themselves arent great betting affairs, I am betting else.

Good to hear. And I wish our primary motive WAS that calculated. But, in truth, it's not easy to put out a race card these days, so we keep writing whatever fills. And her race continues to draw warm bodies. The rest is a bonus.

MonmouthParkJoe
07-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Good to hear. And I wish our primary motive WAS that calculated. But, in truth, it's not easy to put out a race card these days, so we keep writing whatever fills. And her race continues to draw warm bodies. The rest is a bonus.

Job well done. I believe it, not easy anywhere.

tanner12oz
07-29-2017, 03:28 PM
Can you spill the beans on derby probables now that we are a week out?

cj
07-29-2017, 03:37 PM

I thought I saw it said it was Patch.

cj
08-16-2017, 10:41 PM
Somebody put an end to these 2f races? Seems like it has been a while since I've seen one.

mountainman
08-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Somebody put an end to these 2f races? Seems like it has been a while since I've seen one.

Soon to return. Respite was planned. Distance more taxing than commonly thought.
Need new and legit challengers. Not optimistic in that regard. Huge minus pools, 3 length margins more likely.

mountainman
08-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Sorry, dude. missed this.

cj
08-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Soon to return. Respite was planned. Distance more taxing than commonly thought.
Need new and legit challengers. Not optimistic in that regard. Huge minus pools, 3 length margins more likely.

Come on, those aren't that taxing. :)

No doubt on the rest. I wouldn't card them personally unless they are going to be at least a little competitive.

mountainman
08-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Come on, those aren't that taxing. :)

No doubt on the rest. I wouldn't card them personally unless they are going to be at least a little competitive.

"Card" is a tricky, sometimes perilous term for people who do what I do, Craig. One with different checkpoints-and points of no return. There's much to consider in the writing and "using" of novelty races.

Some of it I'd be glad to explain, while other aspects are a bit touchier.

mountainman
09-02-2017, 08:42 PM
The matchup we had hoped for has materialized. Huntress Helena vs Roman Officer at her pet distance. Like Charles Bronson's character said to the imported "hitter" in the classic "Hard Times" : " These things have a way of coming around."

I've installed Roman Officer as the 3/5 morning line favorite, with Huntress Helens 5/2. I would have preferred to go just a bit lower on her, but the large 5 point gap to the next lowest price point would have necessitated making fast horses such as Appealing Yankee and Bebopaleon, each a winner at the quarter-mile distance, 20-1 (or higher), and that just didn't feel right.

Whatever the odds, the mare's best asset is that she doesn't beat herself. Huntress Helena breaks suddenly, and keeps a straight course. No such assurances with Roman Officer, who isn't as quick or consistent at the break, and has been known to lug in when asked for his all.

No question that the Charlestown horse is more rapid. From the standpoint of top-speed, Huntress Helena is bringing a knife to a gunfight, but that knife will be applied with surgical precision, and 2 furlong purses aren't always to the swiftest.

On a side-note, I'd be a tad surprised if EITHER camp goes strong in the show pool.

This all transpires in Monday's 8th race.

BombsAway Bob
09-02-2017, 09:53 PM
RE: Creative card-writing.
As September rolls in, when you have a race for 'the bottom'
(AKA NW-12months)
one of my first PP highlighting chores is to circle the career figures of horses that run locally & haven't run 1st-2nd in the past two calendar years. Often, this applies to a third or more of the field.
What i was wondering, could a race be written for non-winners in 18 months,
or since Jan.1,2016. Might a get a few speed-challenged runners out of the bottom condition, at least for the next 12 months.
Hope all is swell. Peace.

lamboguy
09-02-2017, 10:41 PM
The matchup we had hoped for has materialized. Huntress Helena vs Roman Officer at her pet distance. Like Charles Bronson's character said to the imported "hitter" in the classic "Hard Times" : " These things have a way of coming around."

I've installed Roman Officer as the 3/5 morning line favorite, with Huntress Helens 5/2. I would have preferred to go just a bit lower on her, but the large 5 point gap to the next lowest price point would have necessitated making fast horses such as Appealing Yankee and Bebopaleon, each a winner at the quarter-mile distance, 20-1 (or higher), and that just didn't feel right.

Whatever the odds, the mare's best asset is that she doesn't beat herself. Huntress Helena breaks suddenly, and keeps a straight course. No such assurances with Roman Officer, who isn't as quick or consistent at the break, and has been known to lug in when asked for his all.

No question that the Charlestown horse is more rapid. From the standpoint of top-speed, Huntress Helena is bringing a knife to a gunfight, but that knife will be applied with surgical precision, and 2 furlong purses aren't always to the swiftest.

On a side-note, I'd be a tad surprised if EITHER camp goes strong in the show pool.

This all transpires in Monday's 8th race.this race will be the most exciting race of the summer anywhere.

if you switched post positions, HUNTRESS HELENA would probably be the same odds or even favored over ROMAN OFFICER.

Zaf
09-04-2017, 11:11 PM
Another great and entertaining race ! Love it ! :headbanger:

Z

outofthebox
09-05-2017, 11:13 AM
I've never seen a jockey tease another jockey with gestures as they were finishing a race. Looks like the jock on the winner was egging the runner up to try and keep up....

Zaf
09-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Yes Mark did mention it after the race. I actually didn't notice it before then as I was fixed on Huntress Helena.

Z

picojim
09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
here is the replay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXYhDvJE7c

TiffaniO
09-10-2017, 10:15 PM
I'd guess Almodovar might not want to get in the MNR starting gate anytime soon...

mountainman
09-14-2017, 09:29 AM
jock fined 100..haven't seen ruling...editorialized on air about incident...K Patterson irate..

TiffaniO
09-14-2017, 01:52 PM
jock fined 100..haven't seen ruling...editorialized on air about incident...K Patterson irate..

KP irate at GA or irate at the jock being scolded?

$100 for that? Gosh seems a little light!!!

mountainman
09-15-2017, 11:06 PM
KP irate at GA or irate at the jock being scolded?

Irate at Mnr.

mountainman
09-15-2017, 11:07 PM
$100 for that? Gosh seems a little light!!!

Opinion varies.

mountainman
09-16-2017, 10:07 AM
I opined about this on the show. So I'm simply going to convey the violations stated on the ruling. There are two: failure to ride his mount out to the finish, and conduct 'unbecoming.'

Stokes' rumored version has Almodavar turning and teasing him to keep up. But I can't confirm what , if anything, was actually said.

cj
09-16-2017, 10:09 AM
I opined about this on the show. So I'm simply going to convey the violations stated on the ruling. There are two: failure to ride his mount out to the finish, and conduct 'unbecoming.'

If you fine winning horses for not riding the horse out to the finish you'll have fines in at least 50% of the races. That part of the ruling is ridiculous.

mountainman
09-16-2017, 06:46 PM
If you fine winning horses for not riding the horse out to the finish you'll have fines in at least 50% of the races. That part of the ruling is ridiculous.

I Think I said enough about this on the show. I n fact, I probably went too far. Just wanted to specify about the ruling. I do hear you, sir. Very clearly.

cj
09-16-2017, 10:47 PM
I Think I said enough about this on the show. I n fact, I probably went too far. Just wanted to specify about the ruling. I do hear you, sir. Very clearly.

Thanks, didn't hear the show, wish I had the chance to more often. I mean that sincerely.

cj
09-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Another dominating win tonight facing only females at 1-10. Unfortunately 5 of the 8 entrants scratched.

Zaf
09-27-2017, 12:31 AM
What was up with all the late scratches ? I was on the phone with a buddy and had the volume down and noticed a huge delay :confused:

Z

Zaf
09-27-2017, 12:33 AM
Anyway Kudos to HH she is very fast :headbanger:

Z

Mulerider
09-27-2017, 06:25 AM
What was up with all the late scratches ? I was on the phone with a buddy and had the volume down and noticed a huge delay :confused:

Z

Wondered about that myself. The :4: flipped in the gate and took a while to be extricated. All the horses had been backed out while that was going on, and then the :8: scratched while all the horses were still walking around behind the gate.