PDA

View Full Version : Jockey Diane Nelson dies

PaceAdvantage
07-10-2017, 11:07 PM
She was only 54. This one comes as quite the shock. No cause of death is being revealed...article from BH:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/222508/jockey-diane-nelson-dies?source=rss

Diane J. Nelson, a multiple graded stakes-winning rider, who made her mark in the saddle and in front of the camera, died in early July and was memorialized in a service in her native New York July 10. She was 54.

Details were not made available. In a July 9 post on the Moloney Family Funeral Homes of New York website's condolence page, Denise Bisset, who is a relative, asked for understanding that the private viewing would be for immediate family only. There was no cause of death listed, nor an obituary.

NJ Stinks
07-11-2017, 01:08 AM
I always was confident in Diane's ability to ride. And I imagine the price was a bit inflated with Nelson riding in NY.

Anyway, it's definitely nostalgic reading about Diane's passing. She was way too young....

WALLENDA
07-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Horrible news.

I fondly remember her riding Lottsa Talc and Unreal Mot back in the 90s..

jimmyb
07-11-2017, 02:38 PM
I remember Diane from her Suffolk Downs days. Jill Jellison was another that left us too soon. RIP

agameofskill
07-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Very sad. Needless to say, she never had the best of mounts.

NJ Stinks
07-11-2017, 03:36 PM
I remember Diane from her Suffolk Downs days. Jill Jellison was another that left us too soon. RIP

I did not know about Jill Jellison so I just looked her obituary. So sad.

It does make one wonder how such fit women could be so unfortunate health-wise.

barahona44
07-11-2017, 03:48 PM
I did not know about Jill Jellison so I just looked her obituary. So sad.

It does make one wonder how such fit women could be so unfortunate health-wise.

When you hear the tales of self starving, huge amounts of time in the sauna and bulimia, all to make weight, you have to figure that will take a toll on some people's bodies.

Fager Fan
07-11-2017, 06:08 PM
When you hear the tales of self starving, huge amounts of time in the sauna and bulimia, all to make weight, you have to figure that will take a toll on some people's bodies.

A lot of young women can naturally make weight, even eating whatever they want, not working out extra, etc. on the other hand, almost no males can naturally make weight. I doubt that making weight had anything to do with her death. Regardless, she was much too young. RIP.

RunForTheRoses
07-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Rest in Peace

Rode a lot for Butch Lenzini. Also remember her on Boom Towner.

acorn54
07-11-2017, 09:05 PM
hearing of diane nelson's untimely death made for a sad day, brought back memories of the heyday 80's at belmont.
i don't get around much anymore either, the track today is not what i consider a party anymore, rather it feels like what one feels when one arrives after it has just ended.

Ian Meyers
07-11-2017, 10:12 PM
I don't think she was ever the same after Butch died in '96. She was the one that found his body.

For whatever reason she completely dropped off the face of the earth and wanted nothing to do with racing people. Very few of her former friends had been in contact with her in years.

She worked very hard at what she did. She came from a wealthy L.I. family and didn't need to ride to eat. I've heard she regretted it all years later. She could have stayed with modelling if she were willing to give up riding. FWIW, she died of natural causes. She had been ill for a while but no one outside her family knew that. I know the information surrounding the circumstances were kind of vague, but that's only because of how private she was.

R.I.P. Diane.:rip::(

Afleet
07-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Much too young to die. RIP

Fager Fan
07-11-2017, 11:34 PM
I don't think she was ever the same after Butch died in '96. She was the one that found his body.

For whatever reason she completely dropped off the face of the earth and wanted nothing to do with racing people. Very few of her former friends had been in contact with her in years.

She worked very hard at what she did. She came from a wealthy L.I. family and didn't need to ride to eat. I've heard she regretted it all years later. She could have stayed with modelling if she were willing to give up riding. FWIW, she died of natural causes. She had been ill for a while but no one outside her family knew that. I know the information surrounding the circumstances were kind of vague, but that's only because of how private she was.

R.I.P. Diane.:rip::(

I've read where some thought she had cancer but it seems no one knew for sure. I don't know her back story but it sounds like she had some tremendous difficulties in her life.