PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out the class of Starter Allowance Races

fishorsechess
08-06-2004, 01:12 AM
I think its very difficult. Using purse values of races I
think is the closest you can figure.

BMeadow
08-06-2004, 03:08 AM
The problem is easily solved if you use ratings for individual horses (whether my own Master Win Ratings, Beyer numbers, Brisnet numbers, HDW numbers, etc.).

Check each horse's ratings. Compare these ratings with the ratings of horses in other classes. By doing this, you can easily see whether a horse is moving up, down, or sideways. You can also measure the field strength of the particular starter allowance, since starter allowances often vary tremendously depending on exactly which horses are entered.

Valuist
08-06-2004, 09:41 AM
I know this is a generalization, but I like to double the starter amount and use that as the claiming equivalent. A H5000 is usually similar to an open 10000 claimer, a H10000 to an open 20,000 etc.

JustMissed
08-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Starter races refer to a conditions such as "has started for a claiming price of".

The savey trainers will drop a class horse down to a low level claiming race, maybe months ahead, just to get their horse qualifed for a future starter race.

Don't go by claiming price as they could be deceiving.

We use the TSN/BRIS Race Rating to idenitify the contenders when the class level(grade of race) is difficult to determine.

JM

Buddha
08-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Valuist
I know this is a generalization, but I like to double the starter amount and use that as the claiming equivalent. A H5000 is usually similar to an open 10000 claimer, a H10000 to an open 20,000 etc.

I have noticed that to be close for the races at mountaineer. usually a $10000 horse that is eligble for starter conditions can win it.

thelyingthief
08-06-2004, 02:02 PM
an interesting twist on the recommendations of the pundits (who advise increasing the claiming level by fifty percent as a starting point) is the starter allowance in SCal for winners of MC40k. here the probable equivalence is 16k.

or worse.

so.cal.fan
08-06-2004, 02:47 PM
I agree with the thief.......most of those "starter alw" for horses who broke their maidens for 40K or less.....are REALLY cheap.
Jim Quinn says to rate them at or around a $20K race....but that is being very generous in most cases.
Barry is correct.......use the ratings.......for the most accurate guide to these races.

JustMissed
08-09-2004, 04:48 PM
5 Furlongs. STARTER ALLOWANCE. Purse $21,200. FOR FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS
OLD AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE STARTED FOR A CLAIMING PRICE OF $5,000 OR LESS IN
2003-2004. Three Year Olds, 116 lbs., Older, 121 lbs. Non-winners Of Two Races Since June 9
Allowed 3 lbs. A Race Since Then Allowed 6 lbs(Clai ming Races For $10,000 Or Less Not
Considered In Estimating Allowances) (Winners Other Than Maiden For A Claiming Price Of
$12,500 Or More Since February 9, 2004 Preferred) .
Post Time: (10:20)/ 9:20/ 8:20/ 7:20

Here is a nice Starter Allowance race to look at.

I like the 7 horse, Proud Tears. Ran a $5K open claimer in Tampa on 3/13 & $4K at Mnr on 4/12. Got claimed by current owner and has won the last four races, the last one being a A32400n2X.

I thought this was a good thread and you guys might enjoy handicapping a Starter.

Good luck,

JM

cj
08-09-2004, 04:54 PM
4 TASTE OF HADIF

He just looks faster than the rest. The claim last out was probably with an eye on this race in the condition book. At or near his 8-1 ML would be a very nice overlay.

sjk
08-09-2004, 07:13 PM
7-1-4

RXB
08-09-2004, 07:22 PM
If you know the specific conditions of the starter race, you can make a reasonable guess. However, starter races are written with a lot of different conditions that are not distinguishable in the class line from the pp's. For example, some will be written for horses that have started for a certain tag in a certain time period and have not won for a higher claiming price since becoming eligible.

Regarding the 40000s in SoCal, I had it pegged at 12.5k open claiming equivalency when they first started running them several years ago. Now, it might be more like 16k, because open claimers are becoming shoddier.

CryingForTheHorses
08-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by JustMissed
Starter races refer to a conditions such as "has started for a claiming price of".

The savey trainers will drop a class horse down to a low level claiming race, maybe months ahead, just to get their horse qualifed for a future starter race.

Don't go by claiming price as they could be deceiving.

We use the TSN/BRIS Race Rating to idenitify the contenders when the class level(grade of race) is difficult to determine.

JM

Your a sharp guy!
Yes a savy trainer will do that.Have seen a horse dropped up to a year before.You will also see a horse who used to run for 16k..They will give him 7-8 weeks off..Then drop to 8k..Run and win and back up to 16k.I wait for them kind.Most of the time they are good claims barring no issues with the horse.

46zilzal
08-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Forget the MAN MADE class sturcture and let the horse's performance tell you if it is up against horse's it can run with.