PDA

View Full Version : PaceAdvantage.com turns 18-years-old this month!

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2017, 11:01 PM
Holy freakin' cow (or should I say BULL)!?!?!?

18 years?!?!?!

This website is old enough to vote now.

I can't believe I've been running this place since July 27, 1999.

But here is the proof...the furthest back I go on the Wayback Machine (their first snapshot is in October 1999...but you can see the 7/27/99 date at the bottom of the page):

https://web.archive.org/web/19991013114726/http://paceadvantage.com:80/

Damn....:lol:

Lemon Drop Husker
07-06-2017, 11:02 PM
:headbanger:

Very well done.

kingfin66
07-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Definitely say HOLY BULL! Congrats. That is a long time in Internet years.

dilanesp
07-07-2017, 12:01 AM

18 years?!?!?!

But here is the proof...the furthest back I go on the Wayback Machine (their first snapshot is in October 1999...but you can see the 7/27/99 date at the bottom of the page):

Old enough to bet a horse race too. :)

Cholly
07-07-2017, 12:27 AM
Old enough to bet a horse race too. :)

and old enough to drink...Bartender, pour him a double and put it on my tab.

cj
07-07-2017, 12:42 AM
and old enough to drink...Bartender, pour him a double and put it on my tab.

Not in the US! :)

HuggingTheRail
07-07-2017, 12:53 AM
18 years old??? That's more mature than a portion of the people that post here!!:lol::lol:

To be serious, congrats Mike. Thank you for the site, and all that you (and the mods) do. This site has helped me learn a lot, laugh a lot, and I've rolled my eyes so hard at times that I've almost Yahtzee'd..... I have only had the opportunity to meet one person from here in real life, but feel like I know so many here.

Hope the next 18 are great, and thanks again!

Love the poll question on that link....should PVal be allowed to ride again? How many times have you used that one since? :lol:

JustRalph
07-07-2017, 01:31 AM
I miss prodigy

Augenj
07-07-2017, 04:52 AM
And globally ranked now at 5,284 out of 785,860 as a website. ;)

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/paceadvantage.com

NorCalGreg
07-07-2017, 06:41 AM
I miss AOL dial-up

onefast99
07-07-2017, 09:47 AM
You did a great job here. Did you ever anticipate the popularity of this site when you first started it?

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2017, 10:11 AM
And globally ranked now at 5,284 out of 785,860 as a website. ;)

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/paceadvantage.comYou're confusing numbers on the alexa website...I'm nowhere near that popular.

And for the record, alexa stats are estimates, and some of them are WAY OFF, unless they are directly hooked into your site, which they are not here...

Augenj
07-07-2017, 10:13 AM
You're confusing numbers on the alexa website...I'm nowhere near that popular.

And for the record, alexa stats are estimates, and some of them are WAY OFF, unless they are directly hooked into your site, which they are not here...
You should have run with it... :lol:

Red Knave
07-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Congrats PA. As always, classy, tough, fair and even a little bit funny. :cool:

cj
07-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Congrats PA. As always, classy, tough, fair and even a little bit funny. :cool:

Agree, classy, tough and fair.

barahona44
07-07-2017, 11:37 AM
All I'll say is that when I turn on ye olde computer (or the wife's ye olde tablet), the first place I go to is Pace Advantage.

You know it, you love it, you can't live without it. :)

Congrats on 18 years! :ThmbUp:

Tape Reader
07-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Nice looking site from the start. Congrats! No, Big Congrats!!

whisperlunch
07-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Great site. Congrats

KidCapper
07-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Congrats PA! I have certainly enjoyed my 8 plus years as a part of this ride!:headbanger: Here's to the next 18! :ThmbUp:

DeltaLover
07-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Congrats Mike!

Greyfox
07-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Well done! :ThmbUp:
And many more years we hope.

Wiley
07-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Congratulations PA on 18 years. A lot of great horse racing information has gone under the bridge here in that time.

I found this site as a member of the old YouBet message board and someone mentioned it on there. Ahhh, the less than great memory of the old dial up days and the minuscule video screens that would invariably freeze up mid stretch with my horse on a tenuous lead....

I thought when I got a cable modem I would never lose at this game. Somehow I proved myself wrong on that one...

Bullet Plane
07-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Congrats! Great site and great network of people on board.

JimG
07-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Been with you since opening day. It has been a pleasure.

jimmyb
07-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Happy anniversary PA!!!

MPRanger
07-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Congratulations and thank you.

whodoyoulike
07-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Congratulations and Happy 18th Anniversary!

So, according to the Alexa site you have 7% international viewers. Not bad.

betovernetcapper
07-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Congratulations & check the 7% of international viewers for terrorists. :)

Tom
07-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Wow! 18 years.
Amazing run.

I remember my first few times here....just a few people at the time. Boy did that change in a hurry. The old food fights in OT, in the racing section, ATM_ATW, Peep, Frank, Kat, Sain......you've had a better line up then Law & Order! :pound:
Met a lot of great people through this place over the years, in the real world. Including YOU!

C O N G R A T S U L A T I O N S!!!!!!

And Happy Birthday.

Robert Fischer
07-07-2017, 10:01 PM
As far as I can tell, this is the best horse racing forum.

AND U got 18 years!

wow,

wow.

Zaf
07-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Congrats this is the website that I have visited the most in the last 15 years. :headbanger:

Z

cj
07-08-2017, 12:51 AM
Congrats this is the website that I have visited the most in the last 15 years. :headbanger:

Z

Yeah, sure it is! :)

Hope all is well buddy.

Zaf
07-08-2017, 01:28 AM
Yeah, sure it is! :)

Hope all is well buddy.

All good !!! Hope on your end too ! Hope to see you at Saratoga this year ?

D

TJC
07-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Congratulations on a remarkable achievement PA.

Other than Brisnet (for file downloads) this is the only horse racing site that I visit.

Wishing you continued success always.

TJC

sjk
07-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Congrats PA

SK

098poi
07-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Congratulations PA. You've done a great job with this site. There are so many knowledgeable people here. Handicapping, wagering, racetracks, the industry as a whole etc. (and any other topic one may have questions about) I know you recently did an upgrade to the site and it is very quick now and works great on my computer and my phone. I know you have to do your share of babysitting here but otherwise I like your hands off approach.

For example Facebook is obsessed with forcing user interaction. (I know FB is free and if I don't like it I don't have to use it) I log in to FB on my phone and it calls me Bob. (that's my name) "How are you Bob? You recently took this photo would you like to post it? We made a little video of your last 6 months here would you like to share it?" Facebook I am not interested in sharing every cup of coffee and every toilet flush with every person I have ever met. We get it. If I want to post something, I will! If I am seeking more friends I will do a search!

OK my rant is over. Keep doing what you're doing PA.:ThmbUp:

Track Phantom
07-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Congratulations! Well done. I've been around for about 10 of those years and have enjoyed it. Thank you.

JustRalph
07-08-2017, 05:57 PM
I miss AOL dial-up

Yep, but PA outlasted AOL

Can you imagine? He took down all the big boys

thespaah
07-09-2017, 12:02 AM

18 years?!?!?!

Congrats!
After a few years of posting on the DRF message board, it was shut down. It was by accident that I found this site. So glad I did.

NJ Stinks
07-10-2017, 12:31 AM
I hope you enjoy the next 18 years too, PA. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
07-10-2017, 12:46 AM
Well, PA... The board is finally legal.

CincyHorseplayer
07-10-2017, 04:22 AM
Seriously?! Best resource plus we love this. Amazing place to be involved in! Mike roll it tough brother! I haven't met everybody but been shit talkin ya for years. Win win either way! Cincy love app out!

formula_2002
07-10-2017, 04:41 AM
well done. keep it going.

Jeff P
07-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Yep, but PA outlasted AOL

Can you imagine? He took down all the big boys

He sure did. (Amazing, isn't it?)

Turf Paradise used to have a player's room for simulcasting up on the 3rd floor.

I recall being there on a Monday holiday (probably Presidents Day 2000) playing the races at Gulfstream. The guy who was sitting next to me had a laptop with Equisim on it. He noticed I was using computer printouts and started a conversation about computer handicapping.

At some point he told me about this horse racing message board he had discovered called Paceadvantage and the rest is - well - history.

Congrats Mike!

-jp

nijinski
07-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Congrats on your 18th ! :jump:

Dave Schwartz
07-10-2017, 08:47 PM
I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!

plainolebill
07-11-2017, 12:54 AM
PA first, the rest nowhere. Well done, many happy returns.

thaskalos
07-11-2017, 01:21 AM
You're confusing numbers on the alexa website...I'm nowhere near that popular.

You are popular enough.

I was at my local OTB a couple of months ago, sitting next to a semi-regular who likes to ask me aggravating handicapping questions throughout the racing day. He noticed that I was browsing your website on my phone...and our conversation proceeded as such:

HE: "Are you a member of that site?"

ME: "Yeah...I've been a member there for a while now. It's a pretty cool place, where we hold some interesting conversations from time to time."

HE: "Yeah...I've been lurking there for a while...and I was thinking of joining up. But I can't stand some of those know-it-alls there...who can't stop bragging about what "great horseplayers" they are. All of them are 'pros'...who supposedly have this game 'all figured out'. Makes me sick to my stomach."

ME: "Yeah...I guess some of that goes on there once in a while. But it's easy to ignore, IMO. All in all...I find the place pretty enjoyable."

HE: "The guy who pisses me off the most is some guy named "thaskalos". He talks like that blind old guy in the old TV show KUNG FU...pretending that he is a "wise pro", and shit. I bet he is some bust-out who still lives in his mother's basement."

I gave him a disgusted look, and almost jumped down his throat...but then I noticed the $3000-worth of losing mutuel tickets that I had scattered in front of me...and I quickly deduced that this was the wrong time to defend my honor as a "wise pro". I gave him a fake smile...and ended the conversation tersely.

Congratulations, PA...and thank you for all the wonderful work that you do. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
07-11-2017, 09:01 AM
That's a great story thask...not sure I believe it all, but if it's all true, great story for sure...

cj
07-11-2017, 10:08 AM
That's a great story thask...not sure I believe it all, but if it's all true, great story for sure...

Gus talks to himself sometimes, that is all.

Valuist
07-11-2017, 12:52 PM
You are popular enough.

I was at my local OTB a couple of months ago, sitting next to a semi-regular who likes to ask me aggravating handicapping questions throughout the racing day. He noticed that I was browsing your website on my phone...and our conversation proceeded as such:

HE: "Are you a member of that site?"

ME: "Yeah...I've been a member there for a while now. It's a pretty cool place, where we hold some interesting conversations from time to time."

HE: "Yeah...I've been lurking there for a while...and I was thinking of joining up. But I can't stand some of those know-it-alls there...who can't stop bragging about what "great horseplayers" they are. All of them are 'pros'...who supposedly have this game 'all figured out'. Makes me sick to my stomach."

ME: "Yeah...I guess some of that goes on there once in a while. But it's easy to ignore, IMO. All in all...I find the place pretty enjoyable."

HE: "The guy who pisses me off the most is some guy named "thaskalos". He talks like that blind old guy in the old TV show KUNG FU...pretending that he is a "wise pro", and shit. I bet he is some bust-out who still lives in his mother's basement."

I gave him a disgusted look, and almost jumped down his throat...but then I noticed the $3000-worth of losing mutuel tickets that I had scattered in front of me...and I quickly deduced that this was the wrong time to defend my honor as a "wise pro". I gave him a fake smile...and ended the conversation tersely.

Congratulations, PA...and thank you for all the wonderful work that you do. :ThmbUp:

BTW, which OTB do you frequent? I'm guessing our paths crossed in the past.

Nutz and Boltz
07-11-2017, 01:00 PM
The burning question is "which will fade away first, PA or horse racing in general" ?

WALLENDA
07-11-2017, 01:08 PM
I started reading Racing message boards back in 2001.

There were quit a few of them back then, I remember handicapping contests between the different boards.

Most are gone now sadly. PA thankfully continues on :ThmbUp:

Boris
07-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Wow! 18 years.
Amazing run.

I remember my first few times here....just a few people at the time. Boy did that change in a hurry. The old food fights in OT, in the racing section, ATM_ATW, Peep, Frank, Kat, Sain......you've had a better line up then Law & Order! :pound:
Met a lot of great people through this place over the years, in the real world. Including YOU!

C O N G R A T S U L A T I O N S!!!!!!

And Happy Birthday.

Don't forget PA's personal favorite Duke. 👍

While I don't contribute much any more, I still read this site most days. Congrats on on the birthday. Hard to believe us posters from day 1 didn't burn it down.

proximity
07-12-2017, 06:56 AM
He talks like that blind old guy in the old TV show KUNG FU......

master? do you not know all the horses in that racing form by memory?

yes grasshopper!! but can any gambler afford such arrogance?
:)

Alwaysonpoint36
07-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Just saw the bridgejumper thread linked in a paulick report article. PA KEEPS WINNING

Mind you I caught this on Facebook. Cool stuff

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/show-us-money-plight-simple-wager/

reckless
07-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Congrats Mike on your great, great website.

Continued success with PA and any other endeavor you engage in.

maddog42
07-12-2017, 08:43 PM
I show up late to this birthday party and you guys are already drunk!Fortunately I did my catching up just now with a few beers. 18 years old? I have underwear older than that. What's the big deal?
Seriously Mike. Congratulations. You deserve success for putting up with guys like me. Happy Birthday.

Longshot6977
07-12-2017, 08:51 PM
[quote=I miss AOL dial-up[/quote]

I miss CompuServe BBS

Congrats Mike, Happy Birthday PA

dnlgfnk
07-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Congratulations.

It was on this site that I witnessed indisputable evidence for the expertise of "the Crowd". It may have been Jeff P who posted a database displaying the incredible accuracy of the public, whose odds-to-win pct. correlated almost perfectly, even at small increments like 3-1/7-2...9-2/5-1.

Toss in a few threads about Bill Benter, et.al., incorporating public odds as a significant factor, and I altered my approach for the better.

PaceAdvantage
07-14-2017, 08:22 AM
I miss CompuServe BBS

Congrats Mike, Happy Birthday PAI was on all those early horse forums...CompuServe...Prodigy....GEnie (remember that one? Had some spirited Holy Bull arguments on GEnie...LMAO).

And to think, on Prodigy, you had to use your REAL NAME as your display name...:lol:

ALL CIRCUITS GO
07-14-2017, 09:58 AM
I admit that I visit often, don't post much. I also admit that this site has been an invaluable fountain of information and ideas for me. In addition, it has provided some great moments of levity. THANK YOU Mike for keeping this great site going!

:cool:

cj
07-15-2017, 12:37 AM
I've joked around in this thread, but in all seriousness, I can never pay back what this site has given to me. I went from a complete unknown to somebody that actually works for the Daily Racing Form and even had articles and selections published in print for the Kentucky Derby edition nationwide. I've been on TVG many times, do weekly webcasts for DRF, have done radio interviews with Steve Byk, had articles published on various sites, etc, etc, etc. None of this happens without Pace Advantage and its owner.

It is pretty crazy really. My first post ever here was about a horse named Inaugural Address that went on to win that day and pay $20 or something like that. Things really took off with War Emblem winning the Derby as a horse I was really high on, both in the Illinois Derby and the Kentucky Derby. But I know as well as anyone there was luck involved. I could have just as easily posted a loser first out and then latched on to some horse that ran 18th in the Derby. I'm a much better player now than I was 15 years ago when I joined, and I pick plenty of losers, way more than winners.

But that luck paid off and people showed some interest in the figures I was posting and things just took off. A poster that no longer is here but I'm still friends with (keilan) helped a lot, as did my brother Justin. But again, none of it happens without this site and Mike putting up with my crap.

I've made so many friends here it is crazy, both online and in person. I could never name them all without slighting somebody and I never want to do that. From the Saratoga get togethers to just meeting up with guys and ladies all over the country, it has been great.

This place literally changed my life, and for the better. Who knows what I would have done after retiring from the Air Force if I hadn't stumbled upon this site during lunch at work one day. Whatever it would have been, it wouldn't hold a candle to what I have now and I'll be forever grateful.

PaceAdvantage
07-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Wow man...that was pretty awesome of you to write that. I will counter that you've done as much for me and this site as I and this site have done for you...you've added tons of valuable content and contributions through the years, and that's kept people coming back, so I THANK YOU as well...

Not to mention your impeccable moderation skills.... :ThmbUp:

outofthebox
07-20-2017, 04:12 PM
This is an awesome site. Congratulations for keeping it rolling all these years.