PDA

View Full Version : Paul Lo Duca leaves TVG

Andy Asaro
07-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Wish him luck whatever he does.

GMB@BP
07-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Nice guy...guess people will move on to the next guy to hate on.

whisperlunch
07-02-2017, 09:36 PM
So Big head (Orange on a toothpick) is leaving?

Hmmm?

I think it's baseball related. Stay tuned. He is a cool dude 😎

ronsmac
07-02-2017, 09:42 PM
I'm going to miss him. It was fun watching Paul, Todd and Simon together.

whisperlunch
07-02-2017, 10:33 PM
I'm leaning towards upper management in MLB

lamboguy
07-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Wish him luck whatever he does.i 2nd that

Tom
07-03-2017, 12:17 AM
NYRA has an empty chair now that the Mig is leaving.....
He could hit baseballs off the roof onto the inner turf course.

spiketoo
07-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Couldn't care less. Like others have said they'll just get another klown to chatter with Schmeckel like they are on the View.

Honestly, any one of us here can do what he did on camera.

onefast99
07-03-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm leaning towards upper management in MLB
Always came up to our box during the "good" days at MP. One of the more diverse members of the TVG group.

Dahoss9698
07-03-2017, 11:03 AM

I doubt it.

Bullet Plane
07-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Wow! That is terrible news for TVG.

He was the top handicapper on the show, in my opinion.

I really liked his insights.

spiketoo
07-03-2017, 12:22 PM
I doubt it.

OK I'll qualify it then. I could. I can handicap races and tell you why I like a horse.

However, there are races I do pass so maybe you are correct.:rolleyes:

Andy Asaro
07-03-2017, 12:56 PM
OK I'll qualify it then. I could. I can handicap races and tell you why I like a horse.

Sometimes you have to fill air time and be somewhat entertaining. Not an easy job. I wouldn't want to do it.

NJ Stinks
07-03-2017, 01:03 PM
I remember Paul and Todd had a rather nasty (especially for TVG on air folks) exchange working live at Keeneland this spring. A horse won a race at around 7-5 by about 5 lengths. For whatever reason Paul immediately said that horse would never win another race. Todd retorted with something about what didn't Paul like? It was obviously as dominant a win as one can expect by the favorite or something like that, says Todd. Things got worse (nastier) between the two in this exchange and the next thing you know they are off the air for two hours before returning before the end of the card that day.

I thought to myself when it happened that I can fully understand hanging around with Todd for any length of time could drive anybody crazy. But Todd seems to be untouchable at TVG and Paul dissing Todd on the air was not the best move ever made by "the four time all-star". (Please note Todd still may not be able to stop saying that ad nauseam! :rolleyes: )

Anyway, anybody else remember that exchange between the two at Keeneland this spring? Do you think I misremembered above?

Andy Asaro
07-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I remember Paul and Todd had a rather nasty (especially for TVG on air folks) exchange working live at Keeneland this spring. A horse won a race at around 7-5 by about 5 lengths. For whatever reason Paul immediately said that horse would never win another race. Todd retorted with something about what didn't Paul like? It was obviously as dominant a win as one can expect by the favorite or something like that, says Todd. Things got worse (nastier) between the two in this exchange and the next thing you know they are off the air for two hours before returning before the end of the card that day.

I thought to myself when it happened that I can fully understand hanging around with Todd for any length of time could drive anybody crazy. But Todd seems to be untouchable at TVG and Paul dissing Todd on the air was not the best move ever made by the "the four time all-star". (Please note Todd still may not be able to stop saying that ad nauseam! :rolleyes: )

Anyway, anybody else remember that exchange between the two at Keeneland this spring? Do you think I misremembered above?
Certain people are untouchable but that's what I liked about Paul. There are certain people who call them when they don't like what they say and tell them no more interviews for the network if they do it again. Maybe he'll open up about it if he lands a job in baseball.

Tom
07-03-2017, 01:45 PM
I thought to myself when it happened that I can fully understand hanging around with Todd for any length of time could drive anybody crazy.

We agree on that one!:lol:

You know who the best announcer is?
The muzak they play at night for the minor tracks.
Who needs mindless chatter to fill air time?

thaskalos
07-03-2017, 01:47 PM
We agree on that one!:lol:

The muzak they play at night for the minor tracks.
Who needs mindless chatter to fill air time?

Couldn't agree more. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

cj
07-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Being on television and even radio is not easy. I got plenty of training in the Air Force on public speaking, was an instructor for a few years and did many other presentations in front of large groups and still think it is tough.

thaskalos
07-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Being on television and even radio is not easy. I got plenty of training in the Air Force on public speaking, was an instructor for a few years and did many other presentations in front of large groups and still think it is tough.

Most people are deathly afraid of getting up and speaking in front of an audience...and that's when speaking about normal, EVERYDAY things. And then to get up there and talk about something technical like HANDICAPPING HORSES, while trying to appear literate to a diverse audience...as neophytes like Todd Schrupp are hanging around, asking you to explain yourself further? I couldn't do it, and still keep my composure. I'd get into an argument with the other hosts...and get fired on the first day of work.

JustRalph
07-03-2017, 02:44 PM

That's where I learned to do it too. I did the bi monthly base orientation briefing for new arrivals after taking one Air Force public speaking class. After about six months it became much easier and I've been able to do it ever since.

Later in life I faced an even more tough challenge. Singing with a band. That was rough .......but it got easier too.

BombsAway Bob
07-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Wish him luck whatever he does.

If i were a betting man,
I'd expect him to broadcasting again when Saratoga begins...
Tony A. really liked his on-air work. (& i do too.)

CincyHorseplayer
07-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Most people are deathly afraid of getting up and speaking in front of an audience...and that's when speaking about normal, EVERYDAY things. And then to get up there and talk about something technical like HANDICAPPING HORSES, while trying to appear literate to a diverse audience...as neophytes like Todd Schrupp are hanging around, asking you to explain yourself further? I couldn't do it, and still keep my composure. I'd get into an argument with the other hosts...and get fired on the first day of work.

I have this thought about a lot of situations and most of them come true!

thaskalos
07-03-2017, 02:55 PM
If i were a betting man,
Are you the "BombsAway Bob" that Rich Perloff keeps mentioning on the air whenever I watch his show?

CincyHorseplayer
07-03-2017, 02:58 PM
I like Pauly and will miss him. We had a moment in the BC FM Sprint at Keeneland. This was fun to revisit! Crushed this race!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eEtcagG3lM

BombsAway Bob
07-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Are you the "BombsAway Bob" that Rich Perloff keeps mentioning on the air whenever I watch his show?

Guilty as charged.

Andy Asaro
07-03-2017, 03:31 PM
If i were a betting man,

I think you're right.

CincyHorseplayer
07-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Guilty as charged.

This was basic kindergarten intuition! How many of you could there be?!:cool:

Redbullsnation
07-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Expect him to get picked up by baseball?? MLB Tonight could use some fresh faces

spiketoo
07-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Sometimes you have to fill air time and be somewhat entertaining. Not an easy job. I wouldn't want to do it.

Then I guess I may be in the minority. I have no issues speaking in public or private. If I can entertain a room full of Mormons, then surely I can speak about the horses I like in front of a robotic camera.

Contrary to what others may think, its not rocket science. It's horseracing.

thaskalos
07-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Then I guess I may be in the minority. I have no issues speaking in public or private. If I can entertain a room full of Mormons, then surely I can speak about the horses I like in front of a robotic camera.

But, oddly enough...you don't do much "speaking" HERE.

TheGarMan
07-03-2017, 06:05 PM
I remember in the week leading up to the 2015 Breeders Cup, Paul was really touting Wavell Avenue over La Verdad and Cavorting. I think the others on TVG thought he was crazy...

His quote was something like, I don't "like" Wavell Ave here, I "love" Wavell Ave here, bet the farm...(Or something like that)

I was just impressed the set of "nads" it must take everyday to go out there in front of the world and passionately speak your "gut" feelings to everyone..

Oh, the results that day? :headbanger:

1. Wavell Avenue: $22.00, $10.20, $6.60
2. La Verdad: $8.00, $5.40
3. Taris: $4.80

I for one will miss Paul.

Dahoss9698
07-03-2017, 06:45 PM

This is an opinion I see frequently (on the internet) and I always laugh. It's not rocket science but it's also not easy.

The people saying it are usually jealous because it's a pretty cool job to be able to handicap and talk races for a living. Everyone thinks they can do it better than the people doing it but the reality is that they can't.

NY BRED
07-03-2017, 07:52 PM
I caugh the last few moments of Paul's discussions , and, he
mentioned going to visit NY seversal times.

A great exacta could be teaming up Paul with the Mig. on the
NYRA show...

sometimes dreams come true...

:jump::jump::jump:

GMB@BP
07-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Why go from TVG to NYRA, I mean unless its for money reasons at best that seems like a lateral move for more less their main broadcast face.

I would imagine he is doing something baseball related, but even then he has been gone like a decade out of the sport.

JustRalph
07-03-2017, 09:42 PM
https://twitter.com/RacingOnion/status/882046312539017217

oughtoh
07-03-2017, 09:51 PM

I thought to myself when it happened that I can fully understand hanging around with Todd for any length of time could drive anybody crazy. But Todd seems to be untouchable at TVG and Paul dissing Todd on the air was not the best move ever made by "the four time all-star". (Please note Todd still may not be able to stop saying that ad nauseam! :rolleyes: )

Pretty much what I remembered. Just turned it on right before that race and after the race was wondering what was going on between the two of them.

castaway01
07-03-2017, 10:14 PM
I caugh the last few moments of Paul's discussions , and, he
mentioned going to visit NY seversal times.

A great exacta could be teaming up Paul with the Mig. on the
NYRA show...

sometimes dreams come true...

:jump::jump::jump:

NYRA seems a logical fit for LoDuca but he definitely won't be teaming with Migliore....

thespaah
07-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Couldn't care less. Like others have said they'll just get another klown to chatter with Schmeckel like they are on the View.

Seriously, dude?...Pfffft

thespaah
07-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Unless you have been in the broadcasting business and dabbled in the arena of public handicapping, you have no clue.
So please. Before you start tooting your horn with the " I can do this" stuff, step back and take stock.....Then rethink your post.
Because in the immortal words of Jim Mora...."you may think you know, but you don't know. And you never will.".....'Nuff said. Done

thespaah
07-03-2017, 10:27 PM

I've done radio....Which does not take nearly as much prep as TV....Radio, sports broadcasting, is work. One just does not go on the air with a quiver empty of arrows....TV is far more involved.
Anyone can talk up a storm. The good ones do their homework, prepare and then produce a product that is not contrived or indifferent.

spiketoo
07-03-2017, 10:27 PM
This is an opinion I see frequently (on the internet) and I always laugh. It's not rocket science but it's also not easy.

The people saying it are usually jealous because it's a pretty cool job to be able to handicap and talk races for a living. Everyone thinks they can do it better than the people doing it but the reality is that they can't.

Well I guess that's because the internet is full of opinions.

I know what I can do and I also know my limitations. If others here feel they could not do it then they know their limitations also.

If I was being paid to offer my 'thoughts' on horseracing (as opposed to being a tout) and to offer my opinions with rationale as to why, then I'd have no problem doing it. I would have a problem however with towing the TVG corporate line to just 'send it in' on every race.

As to thaskalos stating that I don't do much 'speaking' here, that's true. Not a big poster in forums. Which has no bearing whatsoever on what I believe I can do. Nor trying to convince anyone of such.

whodoyoulike
07-03-2017, 10:47 PM

I know what I can do and I also know my limitations. If others here feel they could not do it then they know their limitations also.

If I was being paid to offer my 'thoughts' on horseracing (as opposed to being a tout) and to offer my opinions with rationale as to why, then I'd have no problem doing it. I would have a problem however with towing the TVG corporate line to just :1:'send it in' on every race.

As to thaskalos stating that I don't do much 'speaking' here, that's true. Not a big poster in forums. Which has no bearing whatsoever on what I believe I can do. Nor trying to convince anyone of such.

:1: I think this is what everyone is attempting to get across to you.

Unless you're gorgeous looking, a bunch of guys wouldn't want to just watch you just sitting there on TV every day tossing in your two cents every once in awhile. Unless you can juggle or jiggle.

JustRalph
07-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Pharmacy rep?

thespaah
07-03-2017, 11:16 PM

anyone with expertise and half a bag on to get over the anxiety of speaking in front of others can get up in front of group and drone on about what they think is important.
The key is to be able to hang on to an audience. That means keep them interested by having compelling things to say.
That IS rocket science.
Now that is not to say that some people simply have a gift. That occurs as well.
However, a small, very small percentage of the population has that talent..
And as one once said this escapes me "you cannot teach talent"

KidCruz
07-04-2017, 12:00 AM
He's tight with the Barstool Sports crew, who are based in NY. Would not be shocked if they are involved somehow.

thaskalos
07-04-2017, 12:51 AM
anyone with expertise and half a bag on to get over the anxiety of speaking in front of others can get up in front of group and drone on about what they think is important.
The key is to be able to hang on to an audience. That means keep them interested by having compelling things to say.
That IS rocket science.
Now that is not to say that some people simply have a gift. That occurs as well.
However, a small, very small percentage of the population has that talent..
And as one once said this escapes me "you cannot teach talent"

My memory isn't what it used to be, so, I could very-well be wrong here...but, has there ever been even ONE tvg host who has been accused of "captivating an audience"? These guys haven't exactly set the bar very high in the "professionalism" department.

JustRalph
07-04-2017, 06:01 AM
My memory isn't what it used to be, so, I could very-well be wrong here...but, has there ever been even ONE tvg host who has been accused of "captivating an audience"? These guys haven't exactly set the bar very high in the "professionalism" department.

Gary Seibel was head and shoulders above the rest in the pure broadcasting arena. He was more a harness guy but a real pro.

Robin Burns was enjoyable too, but was not originally hired as on air talent if I remember right. He had a back office job and just filled in on air.

spiketoo
07-04-2017, 09:59 AM
IMHO, Perloff and Hoover are knowledgeable and provide a value-add to the channel. Hoover had been a regular on local Socal radio for years (albeit with Mike Shillman). It appears he may have become a bit chattier to accommodate the requirement to banter with the other talking heads klowns.

As always, YMMV.

Dahoss9698
07-04-2017, 10:08 AM

If I was being paid to offer my 'thoughts' on horseracing (as opposed to being a tout) and to offer my opinions with rationale as to why, then I'd have no problem doing it. I would have a problem however with towing the TVG corporate line to just 'send it in' on every race.

In my experience the internet is full of bad opinions.

Youre certainly not the first person to think they could do a handicappers job as good or better than they are doing. And you're definitely not the first to say you wouldn't tow the corporate line if you did it.

Like I said, the internet is full of bad opinions.

spiketoo
07-04-2017, 11:52 AM
And in my experience the internet is full of people who can't read but instead prefer to intersperse their opinions into others.

I didn't say I could do it as good or better - I stated that I could do it. I'd guess I'd be placed on mute as much as the others are.

I also did not state I could do it and not tow the corporate objective. I stated I'd have philosophical differences with touting the audience to bet on every race just to increase the stations bottom-line and probably would not do it based on such.

cj
07-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Gary Seibel was head and shoulders above the rest in the pure broadcasting arena. He was more a harness guy but a real pro.

Robin Burns was enjoyable too, but was not originally hired as on air talent if I remember right. He had a back office job and just filled in on air.

I'm so old I remember spending nights at FreeState Raceway (RIP) listening to Robin call races.

Dahoss9698
07-04-2017, 01:05 PM
And in my experience the internet is full of people who can't read but instead prefer to intersperse their opinions into others.

I didn't say I could do it as good or better - I stated that I could do it. I'd guess I'd be placed on mute as much as the others are.

I also did not state I could do it and not tow the corporate objective. I stated I'd have philosophical differences with touting the audience to bet on every race just to increase the stations bottom-line and probably would not do it based on such.

Yawn. You said any one of us could do what he did.

You're wrong.

spiketoo
07-04-2017, 01:24 PM
I said that under the guise that anyone in this forum possesses the knowledge to perform his job and it requires no 'talent'. Most here seem to be able to discuss their handicapping without much prodding. The desire to do such on TV is solely up to them.

Ruffian1
07-04-2017, 01:43 PM
I'm so old I remember spending nights at FreeState Raceway (RIP) listening to Robin call races.

Loved Robin !

Here comes ... Come oooooon Fred

At Laurel he called a horse I had whose name was bobcaroltedalice and said as he was making the lead here comes all four of them.
My favorite was when a claimer of mine named Old Milwaukee was winning big he said
" with a dozen raw and a side of slaw, it doesn't get any better than that, its Old Milwaukee in front.

NY BRED
07-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Now I'm thinking a position with the Mets considering Paul's prior career?

:eek:

Andy Asaro
07-04-2017, 06:09 PM
NYRA

Take it to the bank.

JustRalph
07-04-2017, 09:27 PM

I spoke to him once when I lived in SoCal and found out he called races at Scioto Downs in Columbus Ohio. I probably heard him as a teen.

whisperlunch
07-04-2017, 10:21 PM
I first thought it would be MLB position. But he left like Gino Buccola left. Abruptly. They didn't renew Gino's contract but Paul has got into it with someone either a sex scandal or something similar.

cj
07-04-2017, 10:46 PM
I first thought it would be MLB position. But he left like Gino Buccola left. Abruptly. They didn't renew Gino's contract but Paul has got into it with someone either a sex scandal or something similar.

Come on man, you can't post stuff like this as pure speculation. I'd bet anything that isn't the case here, and I don't really know Paul at all.

whisperlunch
07-04-2017, 11:02 PM
I didnt say it was fact. Heck I don't know maybe it's a falling out with management or with another on air talent. Paul has a history of playing grab ass with young girls. Look at the headlines when he was with the Mets. You don't know that I'm wrong. This is a horse racing forum and it's up for discussion and debate. It's odd that he abruptly quits.

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2017, 11:30 PM
I didnt say it was fact. Heck I don't know maybe it's a falling out with management or with another on air talent. Paul has a history of playing grab ass with young girls. Look at the headlines when he was with the Mets. You don't know that I'm wrong. This is a horse racing forum and it's up for discussion and debate. It's odd that he abruptly quits.You probably could have just said that instead of "sex scandal" or whatever...not sure if cheating on your wife (allegedly...not sure any of this was actually proven) qualifies as a sex scandal in 2017.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=2319933&page=1

And not sure how any of this relates to him leaving TVG...but whatever...it's the internet...

elhelmete
07-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Come on man, you can't post stuff like this as pure speculation. I'd bet anything that isn't the case here, and I don't really know Paul at all.

Irresponsible is putting it kindly.

PointGiven
07-05-2017, 09:58 AM
First post, thought I would give this a shot.

I also just caught the last bit of the Keeneland thing. Remember thinking what's going on. Agree Todd has some sort of untouchable standing at TVG which I can't understand.

I liked Paul. Seems like a likable guy, Did a nice job on the handicapping. Definitely not the worst offender at being irritating and unprepared.

onefast99
07-05-2017, 10:37 AM
My take is he is a natural fit for NYRA. Since there will be an open spot I can see him at Saratoga in three weeks.

zawaaa
07-05-2017, 12:01 PM
TVG needs to learn from their past mistakes and stop hiring uncharismatic, poorly-spoken, non-horse racing fans who they think have some vague sense of relevancy.

as for NYRA they're doing just fine, thank you.

elhelmete
07-05-2017, 12:08 PM
TVG needs to learn from their past mistakes and stop hiring uncharismatic, poorly-spoken, non-horse racing fans who they think have some vague sense of relevancy.

as for NYRA they're doing just fine, thank you.

Non-horse racing fans? If what I've seen of many of them when they're OFF camera, at the track, they are anything but.

jballscalls
07-05-2017, 12:28 PM

That's also not what happened to Gino.

Andy Asaro
07-05-2017, 01:23 PM
First post, thought I would give this a shot.

I also just caught the last bit of the Keeneland thing. Remember thinking what's going on. Agree Todd has some sort of untouchable standing at TVG which I can't understand.

I liked Paul. Seems like a likable guy, Did a nice job on the handicapping. Definitely not the worst offender at being irritating and unprepared.

The big guys refuse to do interviews if they don't like something that's said or done. B.B. is the king of that tactic IMO

Andy Asaro
07-05-2017, 01:25 PM
I can't see Lo Duca and Serling getting along for very long. Will probably be good TV for a while. I know I'll watch the NYRA feed.

whisperlunch
07-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Jballs I never claime Gino was involved in anything. Only that Gino left pretty quick and when Gino left he claimed he was moving to something that would be announced. The way Paul just up and left is obviously not good. If he moves to nyra I'd be shocked. 1. It's a lateral move at best. I'm convinced shannanigs are at play. I find it funny that on a horse racing forum people get all bent out of shape on something this silly. There have been multiple reports of Paul and young girls, multiple reports of him owing money and getting sued , and out of nowhere he says I quit. I just state I think he's got jammed up or jammed somebody up. I hope you will let me have my opinion. Thanks

Andy Asaro
07-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Jballs I never claime Gino was involved in anything. Only that Gino left pretty quick and when Gino left he claimed he was moving to something that would be announced. The way Paul just up and left is obviously not good. If he moves to nyra I'd be shocked. 1. It's a lateral move at best. I'm convinced shannanigs are at play. I find it funny that on a horse racing forum people get all bent out of shape on something this silly. There have been multiple reports of Paul and young girls, multiple reports of him owing money and getting sued , and out of nowhere he says I quit. I just state I think he's got jammed up or jammed somebody up. I hope you will let me have my opinion. Thanks

If it was "not good" he wouldn't have been allowed to go on the air IMO. Pretty sure Gino was let go because of his position on the totem/talent pole.

PhantomOnTour
07-05-2017, 06:04 PM
he's from NY city...anyone give any thought to the idea that maybe he wanted to go home?

thaskalos
07-05-2017, 06:22 PM

It's one thing to say that you "think he got jammed up"...and it's something else to state that you are "convinced that shenanigans are at play" here. You can't be "convinced", unless you really KNOW.

PaceAdvantage
07-05-2017, 07:08 PM
This whisperlunch is a douche...plain and simple.

I know, that's an overused insult, but it fits.

As for the other person claiming a potential Paul L. + Andy S. pairing won't last long (I assume he thinks because they either don't like each other or have clashing personalities or whatever), I'd fade that bet in a heartbeat...

whisperlunch
07-05-2017, 07:17 PM
when was last time you or anyone commenting on this thread had a high profile job, was well liked, was pretty good at the high profile job, was considered one of their top cappers just out of nowhere say I'm done without there being a jackpot brewing?

Connect the dots

PaceAdvantage
07-05-2017, 07:27 PM
when was last time you or anyone commenting on this thread had a high profile job, was well liked, was pretty good at the high profile job, was considered one of their top cappers just out of nowhere say I'm done without there being a jackpot brewing?

Connect the dotsI can think of a bunch of reasons, other than the ones you're coming up with.

I'm not sure anyone would say a former All-Star MLB player that was doing horse racing commentary on a cable TV horse racing station that a good many people have never heard of, was sitting in a high profile job.

And btw, if you follow his twitter, he is saying there is no doubt he'll be somewhere making horse racing commentary/picks again soon...so it might appear the NYRA angle might be a solid lead in all of this:

https://twitter.com/paulloduca16/status/881887826668802049

After all, if you're gonna be doing horse racing, why not do it from your home state with the biggest and best year-round racing there is?

JustRalph
07-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Lo Duca's from Hong Kong?

cj
07-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Lo Duca's from Hong Kong?

How did Nitro log on as JustRalph?

whisperlunch
07-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Pace do you think leaving TVG to go to Nyra is a step up? Do you think it pays more? I'm being serious. Paul is one of the only ones on TVG that's worth a shit. I like breaking his balls cause he has a huge head literally and it gets people bantering back n forth. That's what this site is all about huh? I cant believe I get attacked because I said him leaving smells fishy. You and others are criticing me call Me names cause I stated an opinion. I didn't personally attack you. If Paul wants to come in here and call me a douche then I can understand. But heck now I've got the head honcho of this site pissed at me. I apologize. Jeez

RunForTheRoses
07-05-2017, 08:45 PM
It does seem a little strange that he left so hurriedly, when Ken Rudolph left there was advance notice, right? That said I don't think he left under scandalous conditions, well nothing would surprise me but I don't think so. On twitter Christina and Todd wished him well. With Del Mar and Saratoga coming up, who knows maybe he got bumped for another taking head. Who knows, its all conjecture.

I wouldn't exactly say he's a NY hometowner though. He was born in Brooklyn but grew up in Arizona. Also spent lots of time in LA.

cj
07-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Pace do you think leaving TVG to go to Nyra is a step up? Do you think it pays more? I'm being serious. Paul is one of the only ones on TVG that's worth a shit. I like breaking his balls cause he has a huge head literally and it gets people bantering back n forth. That's what this site is all about huh? I cant believe I get attacked because I said him leaving smells fishy. You and others are criticing me call Me names cause I stated an opinion. I didn't personally attack you. If Paul wants to come in here and call me a douche then I can understand. But heck now I've got the head honcho of this site pissed at me. I apologize. Jeez

You weren't asking me, but personally, yes, I think it is a step up and I think they pay more. It is also home. In fact, part of his announcement was "I'm going home."

Todd seem genuinely sad even though he knew what was coming. He clearly thinks a lot of Paul. It seemed like 100% Paul's decision and certainly not like he was being run off.

I've been wrong before, but if I'm wrong here those guys did one hell of an acting job.

PointGiven
07-05-2017, 09:36 PM
It does seem a little strange that he left so hurriedly, when Ken Rudolph left there was advance notice, right? That said I don't think he left under scandalous conditions, well nothing would surprise me but I don't think so. On twitter Christina and Todd wished him well. With Del Mar and Saratoga coming up, who knows maybe he got bumped for another taking head. Who knows, its all conjecture.

I wouldn't exactly say he's a NY hometowner though. He was born in Brooklyn but grew up in Arizona. Also spent lots of time in LA.

I don't think they will get anyone new. Worst fear is instead of more of Britney, Christina or Kurt, it will be extra Mike and Scott. Maybe more Matt, which is ok.

elhelmete
07-06-2017, 08:34 AM
It's pretty much the norm now that personnel exits are done quickly and very steriley whether or not the person is well liked, leaving for cause, or whatever. Just a sad fact of current HR think. This is doubly true in tv, my line of work.

In this case, if word somehow leaked out that Paul had even met with another channel what we're seeing would be well within normal.

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2017, 08:39 AM
You weren't asking me, but personally, yes, I think it is a step up and I think they pay more.Without any direct knowledge of the pay scales of each organization, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

I don't think people realize how crappy the pay can be in racing, even for someone on "TV"

Andy Asaro
07-06-2017, 08:51 AM
If i were a betting man,

Bob is the only one who mentioned this connection unless I missed one. Key fact.

Andy Asaro
07-06-2017, 09:08 AM
This whisperlunch is a douche...plain and simple.

I know, that's an overused insult, but it fits.

As for the other person claiming a potential Paul L. + Andy S. pairing won't last long (I assume he thinks because they either don't like each other or have clashing personalities or whatever), I'd fade that bet in a heartbeat...

Not saying they won't last long because it could be great TV. Saying they both have strong opinions and I can easily see a dust up when one gets cold while the other gets hot. Both Celebrities in their own rights. Ego's will eventually get in the way IMO.

onefast99
07-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Bob is the only one who mentioned this connection unless I missed one. Key fact.He will be at NYRA mark it down...good timing when Saratoga opens for his on air debut.

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Not saying they won't last long because it could be great TV. Saying they both have strong opinions and I can easily see a dust up when one gets cold while the other gets hot. Both Celebrities in their own rights. Ego's will eventually get in the way IMO.Well, given Andy's history, he's worked well with Mike Beer, Gabby Gaudet and David Aragona...all three are considered by most if not all as very sharp handicappers...he has no problem pairing up with players on his level or even above (although I personally think nobody is above Andy's level, but I'm a giant kiss-ass...)

I think Lo Duca and Serling will pair up well together, and will make a good team, just like he always has...

Immanuel Kant
07-06-2017, 11:07 AM
When LoDuca joins NYRA will one be required to have a NYRABets account or watch from NY state to view him?

cj
07-06-2017, 02:52 PM
When LoDuca joins NYRA will one be required to have a NYRABets account or watch from NY state to view him?

First off, probably best to wait on an announcement to see what he is doing. Second, if he is working at NYRA, why would you need a NYRABets account to watch or be in the state? I'm in Oklahoma and have neither (NYRABets won't take OK) and can watch all the NYRA video just fine. All it takes is an email address.

whodoyoulike
07-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Bob is the only one who mentioned this connection unless I missed one. Key fact.

I saw that post but didn't get the connection.

Who is Tony A. and what does he have to do with someone's on-air work?

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2017, 03:29 PM
I saw that post but didn't get the connection.

Who is Tony A. and what does he have to do with someone's on-air work?Tony A is the guy who used to be at TVG and is now at NYRA...

https://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/about/executive-management

RunForTheRoses
07-06-2017, 03:35 PM
First off, probably best to wait on an announcement to see what he is doing. Second, if he is working at NYRA, why would you need a NYRABets account to watch or be in the state? I'm in Oklahoma and have neither (NYRABets won't take OK) and can watch all the NYRA video just fine. All it takes is an email address.

I think he was just making a joke re the recent NYRA late Pick 5

Robert Fischer
07-06-2017, 04:19 PM
I don't know much about Lo Duca.

The recent give-and-take between Mirahmadi and Serling was entertaining.

whisperlunch
07-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Paul is not going to NYRA

Book it.

Franco Santiago
07-06-2017, 06:10 PM
For all those that like to engage in speculation.

http://1045theteam.com/tvg-analyst-todd-schrupp-talks-about-his-friend-paul-lo-duca/

whisperlunch
07-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Franco thanks that's good stuff. I may be eating crow.

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2017, 06:34 PM
But some of us knew that long ago (that you'd be chowing on a nice portion of crow)

whisperlunch
07-06-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm curious
Everyone at TVG has commented on Paul leaving. They have wished him well except Brittany Eurton. I wonder if that is a coincidence?

whodoyoulike
07-06-2017, 10:17 PM
I'm curious
Everyone at TVG has commented on Paul leaving. They have wished him well except Brittany Eurton. I wonder if that is a coincidence?

Are you suggesting TVG is horse racing's version of Fox News?

Dahoss9698
07-06-2017, 10:17 PM
I'm curious

This is an act right?

no breathalyzer
07-06-2017, 10:22 PM
This is an act right?

Prob. as much as your twitter shenanigans are :lol:

Dahoss9698
07-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Prob. as much as your twitter shenanigans are :lol:

Probably was too tough to type out? Were you confused on how to spell it?

no breathalyzer
07-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Probably was too tough to type out? Were you confused on how to spell it?

:lol:yea too tough and even more important too lazy to spell cjeck it Georgie

Dahoss9698
07-06-2017, 10:57 PM
:lol:yea too tough and even more important too lazy to spell cjeck it Georgie

This is what happens when you drink warm beers in your truck all day.

You're way more entertaining when you pretend to have a clue on races and mix in a few redboards.

Take a few aspirin and check back tomorrow.

johnhannibalsmith
07-06-2017, 10:59 PM
This is an act right?

It can't be completely. Someone is sitting around paying attention to this stuff. Who wished "Paulie" well, and who didn't. Then we get to the obvious implications. I mean really, it is hard to imagine how in the hell someone can even care enough.

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2017, 11:05 PM
There are a surprising number of people obsessed with racing personalities, especially those that are on TV.

My guess is jealously...or perhaps in some cases, something more ugly.

But I digress...

no breathalyzer
07-06-2017, 11:06 PM
that's funny.... i found you more entertaining when complained about all the bad rides you got on your old twitter handle... at least it was much better then your shtick now.. where you come across like a teenage boy who's step daddy is fcking your mother with out your approval

I don't red board.. i just don't post here anymore My ROI.. which doesn't matter... only when in your favor :lol::lol::lol::lol: is strong here... as seen in the HTW thread.. i stop posting when it ran off in to something else...

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Cool...people always ask me why I wait so long to kick certain people...and I usually reply that I like to wait for them to blow themselves up, as they always do.

And you just did.

Thanks for making it easy on me.

Have fun on twitter!

Dahoss9698
07-06-2017, 11:17 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what his post meant.

Can someone who speaks moron translate for me?

Dahoss9698
07-06-2017, 11:25 PM
It can't be completely. Someone is sitting around paying attention to this stuff. Who wished "Paulie" well, and who didn't. Then we get to the obvious implications. I mean really, it is hard to imagine how in the hell someone can even care enough.

That's what I don't get. Why anyone would care.

affirmedny
07-07-2017, 12:41 AM
I'm curious

She's on vacation in Spain. Was mentioned on the air many times.

RunForTheRoses
07-07-2017, 07:13 AM
She's on vacation in Spain. Was mentioned on the air many times.

I thought I heard Austria but yes vacation.

Andy Asaro
07-07-2017, 08:44 PM
https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/883486436699152385

Excerpt:

Lo Duca will debut when the storied Saratoga race meet opens on Friday, July 21.

Lo Duca will fill a role recently vacated by popular retired New York jockey and racing analyst, Richard Migliore, who announced he was leaving the NYRA several weeks ago.

Had the exclusive (sort of) days ago. Good luck to Paul

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Worst kept secret of the month...:lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Paul is not going to NYRA

Book it.Oh snap...

whisperlunch
07-08-2017, 01:11 AM
What a dumbass move. Leave So Cal for Ny circuit. More to this story I can promise

MonmouthParkJoe
07-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Worst kept secret of the month...:lol:

:D

Glad to have him on board.

As for leaving So Cal, I would have done it in a heart beat. He was born over here, and there has to be something said for having the best racing day in and day out on the NYRA circuit. Sure the winter sucks here, but it gives you better appreciation for the nicer weather and having seasons. 90 degrees on Christmas isnt cool. :D

Dahoss9698
07-08-2017, 07:45 AM
What a dumbass move. Leave So Cal for Ny circuit. More to this story I can promise

Internet equivalent to, "I was wrong, I've been wrong, but I refuse to admit it."

JustRalph
07-08-2017, 09:34 AM
I wonder what Jason is thinking down in Florida?

whisperlunch
07-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Dahoss, point taken. First i live in Florida i go over to Gulfstream, or I watch either TVG or ADW track feeds while playing horses. I don't really know exactly what job Paul has taken? I don't follow nyra to much. So at Gulfstream Ron Nicoletti does a show every day at Gulfstream. Is this what Paul will be doing on the NY circuit?

I think Paul was the top capper at TVG and it seems like a lateral move at best . Also very strange to me that a tv talent can leave immediately and go to another network in a matter of days. Usually they have contracts and they usually have a waiting period. I watched Paul at Gulfstream and he was very cool to everyone around.

elhelmete
07-08-2017, 09:48 AM
out ✌️

One can hope

Dahoss9698
07-08-2017, 11:02 AM
I wonder what Jason is thinking down in Florida?

Lo Duca isn't replacing Jason though. He's replacing the Mig.

NY BRED
07-08-2017, 10:04 PM
sorry, neither Paul or TLG could ever replace the Mig with his insight
on Jockey tactics or on the physical issues with tbreds prior to
being placed in the gate.
It would be great to see these 3 commentators this year at the Spa
even if they were together for a minimal amount of shows

Tom
07-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Too many people on that show already.
Too much chatter.

Show the horses warming up and play some music.

And bring back the Rockettes commercial.

onefast99
07-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Too many people on that show already.
Too much chatter.

Show the horses warming up and play some music.

And bring back the Rockettes commercial.Yesterday the TVG gang mentioned Paul at least 5 times in a two hour span. They must miss him a lot!

castaway01
07-10-2017, 10:55 AM
https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/883486436699152385

Excerpt:

Lo Duca will debut when the storied Saratoga race meet opens on Friday, July 21.

Lo Duca will fill a role recently vacated by popular retired New York jockey and racing analyst, Richard Migliore, who announced he was leaving the NYRA several weeks ago.

Had the exclusive (sort of) days ago. Good luck to Paul

I think me and 20 other people on this thread had the "exclusive".

onefast99
07-10-2017, 11:47 AM
He wasn't going to MLB that was a given. He loves the horses and I don't know of any owners or trainers who would need an ex 4 time all star MLB on their team as a hype guy. So the logical choice is NYRA since the Mig is leaving due to the travel time. I actually thought at one time while this thread was running with guestimates that GP would be a nice spot for him!

Andy Asaro
07-10-2017, 12:55 PM

You're right including me. I thought the exclusive was funny even though I like John Pricci.

JimG
07-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Looks like Tony A. is slowly getting his TVG folks over to NYRA. If he replaces Serling with Schrupp and Maggie with Britney Eurton, that would complete the sweep. Let's hope that never happens.

olddaddy
07-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Looks like Tony A. is slowly getting his TVG folks over to NYRA. If he replaces Serling with Schrupp and Maggie with Britney Eurton, that would complete the sweep. Let's hope that never happens.

If its a swap Im a happy guy.

PaceAdvantage
07-10-2017, 04:11 PM
I think Paul was the top capper at TVG and it seems like a lateral move at best . Also very strange to me that a tv talent can leave immediately and go to another network in a matter of days. Usually they have contracts and they usually have a waiting period. I watched Paul at Gulfstream and he was very cool to everyone around.Your problem is that you are treating TVG as if it were some major network TV station...it's not.

BombsAway Bob
07-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Your problem is that you are treating TVG as if it were some major network TV station...it's not.

It may not be big compared to many, but TVG did outlast Esquire Network, which ceased operations last week of June. That make "HorsePlayers" series a free agent... Viceland would be a nifty network to give it a shot.

KingChas
07-10-2017, 07:20 PM
It's official;
https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/news/top-horse-racing-analyst-and-former-mlb-all-star-paul-lo-duca-to-join-saratoga-live#

ldiatone
07-10-2017, 07:23 PM
and BloodHorse
3 hrs ·
The New York Racing Association July 10 announced the hiring of veteran horse racing analyst and Major League Baseball All-Star Paul Lo Duca.

VigorsTheGrey
07-10-2017, 10:15 PM
"Lo Duca will serve as an analyst on NYRA's acclaimed Saratoga Live program, joining a broadcast team that includes host Greg Wolf, handicapper Andy Serling, paddock analyst Maggie Wolfendale, trainer Tom Amoss, and analyst Gabby Gaudet."
https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/news/top-horse-racing-analyst-and-former-mlb-all-star-paul-lo-duca-to-join-saratoga-live#
The article above says that the host is Greg Wolf....did Greg leave TVG as well...?

Psychotic Parakeet
07-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Brad Free is "supposedly" getting picked up by TVG.

thaskalos
07-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Brad Free is "supposedly" getting picked up by TVG.

"Supposedly"? Peter Lurie said today that it's a sure thing.

thaskalos
07-10-2017, 11:22 PM
It's official;

Greg Wolf's charm eludes me.

GMB@BP
07-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Your problem is that you are treating TVG as if it were some major network TV station...it's not.

I love NYRA but its not exactly ESPN either. I would imagine this has more to do with being at home than any network versus the other.

GMB@BP
07-10-2017, 11:39 PM
"Lo Duca will serve as an analyst on NYRA's acclaimed Saratoga Live program, joining a broadcast team that includes host Greg Wolf, handicapper Andy Serling, paddock analyst Maggie Wolfendale, trainer Tom Amoss, and analyst Gabby Gaudet."
The article above says that the host is Greg Wolf....did Greg leave TVG as well...?

He left a looooong time ago to try main stream TV, think it was a show on Fox Sports....thats my recollection at least.

GMB@BP
07-10-2017, 11:40 PM

Did someone say Paul was too stiff? lol

PaceAdvantage
07-11-2017, 08:58 AM
I love NYRA but its not exactly ESPN either.Never said it was...never even implied it...

But some seem to be under the misguided impression that being on TVG is some big deal that someone couldn't possibly give up to go do something else...LOL

Or that they might be under CONTRACT....LMAO...and couldn't just walk away....

castaway01
07-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Free was on TVG yesterday afternoon. That doesn't mean he's getting a full-time TV gig but he's at least working for them.

whisperlunch
07-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Hey Pace, so I'm wrong by stating TVG on air talent have contracts?
And you think nyra is a step up from TVG?

I guess the news anchor position in Tulsa is a better job more exposure than Chicago ?

Paul very well could be getting more money it's possible but only because of his talent. I've always said he's the top 1-2 on TVG
But I completely disagree nyra vs TVG is a better job.

On air talent usually migrate towards $money & big markets. ( exposure )

sour grapes
07-11-2017, 11:13 AM
also could be a stepping stone towards NBC telecasts,I mean who is matt bernier compared to 4 time all star loduca.

johnhannibalsmith
07-11-2017, 11:21 AM
... 4 time all star...

Pleasy Andy don't do it.

deathandgravity
07-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Hoping since Bryan Cox was fired by Atlanta after the Super Bowl meltdown... he would end up back on TVG. :D

ldiatone
07-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Brad Free is now working at TVG.

PaceAdvantage
07-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Hey Pace, so I'm wrong by stating TVG on air talent have contracts?
And you think nyra is a step up from TVG?

I guess the news anchor position in Tulsa is a better job more exposure than Chicago ?

Paul very well could be getting more money it's possible but only because of his talent. I've always said he's the top 1-2 on TVG
But I completely disagree nyra vs TVG is a better job.

On air talent usually migrate towards $money & big markets. ( exposure )I know it's tough to just say you were dead wrong about Paul and where he was going and why he left TVG.

This other stuff is superfluous...and I never stated NYRA was a step up from TVG, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it is.

elhelmete
07-12-2017, 01:52 PM
I know it's tough to just say you were dead wrong about Paul and where he was going and why he left TVG.

This other stuff is superfluous...and I never stated NYRA was a step up from TVG, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it is.

I believe NYRA is on the come and TVG is stagnant, JMHO.

I will also say that y'all would be shocked at the lack of correlation between talent $$ and what channel they're on.

GMB@BP
07-12-2017, 05:15 PM
What channel is the NYRA broadcast on for DirecTV?

whisperlunch
07-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Was I wrong? Maybe- but we don't know all the facts on the reason he left. First I've noticed that you edit my tongue n cheek humor attempts as if I was serious. Why? Was m joking about him knocking boots that awful? I was joking. You and some people reading this are wound to tight. I was joking about his scandal. But when I see a guy with a somewhat checkered past with affairs and getting sued for unpaid bills just up and leave a network that's easily accessible thru many cable and satellite providers switch to a broadcast that's limited it makes me wonder. I love this site and it's got good info. I apologize if I've offended you or others reading this.

FakeNameChanged
07-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Hopefully that shovel breaks soon.

Andy Asaro
07-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Hopefully that shovel breaks soon.

https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/885266267237515264

Tom
07-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Greg Wolf's charm eludes me.

Nothing against him, I'm sure he is a nice enough fellow,but he does zero for me.

usedtolovetvg
07-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Nothing against him, I'm sure he is a nice enough fellow,but he does zero for me.

He's tight with TA.

Tom
07-12-2017, 09:42 PM
TA?

usedtolovetvg
07-12-2017, 09:51 PM
TA?

Tony Allevato

cj
07-12-2017, 10:10 PM
He's tight with TA.

The guy was doing studio work for nationally televised college football, and probably will continue if I had to guess. He would seem to have a lot more going for him than being tight with TA.

olddaddy
07-12-2017, 10:20 PM
The guy was doing studio work for nationally televised college football, and probably will continue if I had to guess. He would seem to have a lot more going for him than being tight with TA.

Ive seen him doing studio work for college basketball also. This is a perfect off season gig.

Hoops McCann
07-13-2017, 10:53 AM
What channel is the NYRA broadcast on for DirecTV?

i was curious too so i googled! :)

go to nyra.com and they have their tv schedule. they broadcast on a few different channels like NBCSN, FS2 and MSG+

JustRalph
07-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Greg Wolf is a super nice guy. I got to know him just as an acquaintance when I lived in SoCal. As to his broadcasting career, he was doing UCLA football while in college if I remember right. He's done a lot of small stuff to move up. He's paid his dues

usedtolovetvg
07-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Greg Wolf was part of a team that, clearly, made TVG number one in the ADW space. He is a solid broadcaster who has done his job. He does his research but understands his role. He allows the experts to do their job. That is a talent that is largely overlooked these days. He has a certain "boy next door" charm that makes him easy to watch. He controls the talent and makes for a longer than normal viewing experience. He seems like a decent guy. NYRA looks like they are trying to recreate the situation that carried TVG across the finish line first.

sour grapes
07-14-2017, 11:22 AM
todd schrumpf should also be added for his keen insight and antics that make him the number 1 man at tvg,in addition he has a winner every 3 months too.

thaskalos
07-18-2017, 02:43 AM
Brad Free doesn't seem as "polished" as I imagined him to be. I wonder if it's just "nerves"...

Racey
07-20-2017, 01:11 AM
I think Britney Eurton is the rising personality she should be leaving for bigger things soon enough.

Tom
07-23-2017, 05:57 PM
My 2 cents -

Paul, Andy, Maggie, Gabby.
Get rid of the other two guys who offer nothing and detract from the show. Especially Amoss. He pretty much stinks up the show.

Keep the four who know what they are talking about.

JimG
07-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Greg Wolf telling Andy Serling that no one is listening to him was disrespecful. Amoss and Serling arguing about horse of the year is a "who cares" moment at this time of year. I agree with Tom that Amoss and Wolf are not needed.

GMB@BP
07-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Greg Wolf telling Andy Serling that no one is listening to him was disrespecful. Amoss and Serling arguing about horse of the year is a "who cares" moment at this time of year. I agree with Tom that Amoss and Wolf are not needed.

Amoss and Andy basically flipping the position from last year to this year regarding a win in Dubai was pretty funny though. I get both their arguments.

I also agree with Paul, champions dont perform like that unless their is something wrong.

thaskalos
07-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Greg Wolf was part of a team that, clearly, made TVG number one in the ADW space. He is a solid broadcaster who has done his job. He does his research but understands his role. He allows the experts to do their job. That is a talent that is largely overlooked these days. He has a certain "boy next door" charm that makes him easy to watch. He controls the talent and makes for a longer than normal viewing experience. He seems like a decent guy. NYRA looks like they are trying to recreate the situation that carried TVG across the finish line first.

Easy to watch...but painful to listen to, IMO.