PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Tour de France

PhantomOnTour
07-01-2017, 03:56 PM
The world's greatest race began today.
Taking a small leap and predicting that a Frenchman will win it for the first time in decades...Romain Bardet is my choice.

#justkeeppedaling

_______
07-01-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure they designed this years stages for Bardet. .

I won't be a pussy and say Froome so...Tyler Phinney.

ElKabong
07-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Taylor Phinney's dad was a fairly good domestique (after his stage sprinting days were behind him). He pulled for Jerseys when he was ready to drop. He just couldn't climb with the best, but was a solid guy

The chicks sure digged him (Davis P), I remember a write up a female cycling journalist did back in 1989 or 90. She basically drooled over him in print.

davew
07-04-2017, 12:55 AM
I read a team has special jerseys with air bubbles that are supposed to reduce drag by 4-7% - can this be possible?

Greyfox
07-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Say what you want but for me the race is not the same without Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin.
The two guys who are calling the event are okay, but they've got a long ways to go to match the excitement of Phil and Paul.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/phil-liggett-paul-sherwen-itvs-tour-de-france-coverage-249523

I'd also like to see Bob Roll call the early part of the race.

PhantomOnTour
07-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Say what you want but for me the race is not the same without Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin.
The two guys who are calling the event are okay, but they've got a long ways to go to match the excitement of Phil and Paul.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/phil-liggett-paul-sherwen-itvs-tour-de-france-coverage-249523

If you're watching on MSNBC Phil and Paul are calling the race as always

_______
07-04-2017, 11:05 AM

I feel bad for British fans but here on NBCSN, you can still enjoy all of them. They've split the full coverage of past years into a pre-show with Roll, Christian Vande Velde (who has turned out to be as good a commentator as rider), and Paul Burmeister and the main coverage hosted by Sherwin and Liggett.

_______
07-04-2017, 11:18 AM
I read a team has special jerseys with air bubbles that are supposed to reduce drag by 4-7% - can this be possible?

I heard them described as skin suits that create a vortex (similar to an airplanes wings) behind the rider. They are using them in the two time trial stages. Other teams complained but they were determined to violate no rules and allowed.

Tour de France teams are 9 riders. There are 22 teams competing. Sky had 4 of the top 8 riders in the first time trial. They are the top team but that was still a pretty amazing result.

cj
07-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Nasty crash today, Cavendish trying to squeeze inside Sagan and went down hard, then two went right over him. I'll be surprised if he can continue.

PhantomOnTour
07-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Nasty crash today, Cavendish trying to squeeze inside Sagan and went down hard, then two went right over him. I'll be surprised if he can continue.

Looked like Sagan leaned over and "chicken winged" him with his elbow.
The stewards should have an inquiry LOL
It wasn't pretty

Greyfox
07-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately I don't get MSNBC or NBCSN.
I get Rogers Sports Net.
Those of you who get Phil and Paul more fortunate for sure.

cj
07-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Sagan is out of the Tour via DQ!

PhantomOnTour
07-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Sagan is out of the Tour via DQ!

Wow! I was half joking about the stewards inquiry :D

_______
07-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I'm surprised Sagan got the boot. I've seen Cavendish make that same move dozens of times. It's common in the sprints.

Look at the first stage in 2014 when Cavendish took himself out leaning on another rider.

I feel bad for Cavendish but Sagan was ahead and Cav didn't have room to come through next to the barrier.

Bad call.

Actor
07-04-2017, 03:07 PM
I read a team has special jerseys with air bubbles that are supposed to reduce drag by 4-7% - can this be possible?Yes. According to the Mythbusters!:ThmbUp:

Dahoss2002
07-05-2017, 02:31 AM
Wow! I was half joking about the stewards inquiry :D

W0W!! DQ a guy that won the last 5 or 6 green jerseys??? The elbow looked bad but Cav was looking for something that was not there IMO.

_______
07-05-2017, 11:09 AM
The slo-mo they showed on today's pre-race show really emphasizes how bad a decision this was. Cavendish leans over into Sagan while trying to force his way along the barrier. Cav is in his way down BEFORE the elbow comes out because Sagan isn't going to move over to give him room. Sagan has to change his pedaling style (bringing his right knee in toward the bike because he's going to hit Cav if he doesn't).

The commentators make the point that disqualification is supposed to be for a rider who intentionally (not recklessly) causes another rider to fall. Cav has a history that might lead you to think he could intentionally cause another rider to fall. Sagan is as clean as anyone involved in sprints can be.

Unless they are messaging that sprints will no longer involve contact between riders by throwing out the world champion, this was a complete injustice.

cj
07-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Aru takes yellow from Froome today. Froome definitely cracked late when the attack came.

PhantomOnTour
07-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Bardet wins the stage, the first in the Pyrenees this year. The Tour is likely to be won in the next few stages.

_______
07-13-2017, 03:51 PM
I don't think I've ever seen Froome crack. And as VDV said in the post race, within a sand wedge of the finish.

How brutal is that climb that someone like Froome loses 20 seconds in the last 150 meters? I also liked the "he paperboy'd" the end comment.

I'm starting to get a man crush on Christian. Great color guy.

_______
07-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Bardet wins the stage, the first in the Pyrenees this year. The Tour is likely to be won in the next few stages.

The time trial in Marseilles the last day before Paris could get Froome back in yellow if he is within a minute. He'll scrape time off either Aru or Bardet there.

I'm just thankful to see a chink in Sky's armor. Makes for a much more interesting Tour.