PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe says Serena......

jocko699
06-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't be in the top 700 on a men's circuit.

While I think she possibly could win a set very rarely against those men in the top 700 I totally agree with John.

I believe she is one of the top 3 female tennis players of all time but she cannot compete against the males.

thaskalos
06-25-2017, 09:02 PM
McEnroe obviously wants to become the modern-day Bobby Riggs.

jocko699
06-25-2017, 09:05 PM
McEnroe obviously wants to become the modern-day Bobby Riggs.

I sincerely hope not.

JustRalph
06-25-2017, 09:10 PM
He wants to sell a book

thaskalos
06-25-2017, 09:15 PM
I say Serena challenges McEnroe to a match...and he accepts. "Soon at a pay-per-view near you." :ThmbUp:

jocko699
06-25-2017, 09:18 PM
I say Serena challenges McEnroe to a match...and he accepts. "Soon at a pay-per-view near you." :ThmbUp:

Okay, but that would not be in the context of his statement. I wouldn't pay for that. Now Federer against her, I'd pay to watch the embarrassment.

thaskalos
06-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Okay, but that would not be in the context of his statement. I wouldn't pay for that. Now Federer against her, I'd pay to watch the embarrassment.

What do you think would happen if Serena played McEnroe?

jocko699
06-25-2017, 09:25 PM
What do you think would happen if Serena played McEnroe?

Before or after she gives birth?

cj
06-26-2017, 08:17 AM

Why would she be embarrassed? Even if she lost 6-0, 6-0, that is what is supposed to happen. I'm pretty sure the best woman basketball player couldn't score a point on Lebron. Does that make her not any good? I don't get the point of comparing Serena to men.

ElKabong
06-26-2017, 01:40 PM
I listened to that portion of the McEnroe interview this morning. He couldn't have been more politically correct & accurate in his answers. He gave high priase to Williams, the interviewer was definitely trolling (the interviewer alluded that she thought Williams could beat ANY man). McEnroe was a pro in that interview.

Marshall Bennett
06-26-2017, 04:33 PM
I listened to that portion of the McEnroe interview this morning. He couldn't have been more politically correct & accurate in his answers. He gave high priase to Williams, the interviewer was definitely trolling (the interviewer alluded that she thought Williams could beat ANY man). McEnroe was a pro in that interview.
I watched it yesterday and agree. John gave tennis a badly needed shot in the arm when he started out. None of it was fake either. He truly was an emotional player and still is. He kept opponents on their toes and was intimidating. Conners hated playing him. By the way he's still quite good. Personally I don't think Serena would stand a chance, now or then. :)

cj
06-26-2017, 05:39 PM
By the way he's still quite good. Personally I don't think Serena would stand a chance, now or then. :)

She might have a small chance now. McEnroe can still play well but she hits harder, serves harder, and runs as fast. I suspect she would struggle against his style, one which she never sees playing against women.

AndyC
06-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Does anybody remember this?

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters
Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[34] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[35][36] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[37] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[38] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[39] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)#1998:_Karsten_Braasch _vs._the_Williams_sisters

barahona44
06-28-2017, 01:31 PM
I wonder how much Dmitry Tursunov is offended today? He's ranked # 701. :D

http://www.atptour.com/en/rankings/singles/?rankDate=2017-6-26&countryCode=all&rankRange=701-800

cj
06-28-2017, 04:19 PM
I wonder how much Dmitry Tursunov is offended today? He's ranked # 701. :D

http://www.atptour.com/en/rankings/singles/?rankDate=2017-6-26&countryCode=all&rankRange=701-800

The truth is she probably couldn't beat a man ranked in the top 2000. I just don't see why it matters. Women don't have to compete against men, nor should they.

thaskalos
06-28-2017, 04:48 PM
The truth is she probably couldn't beat a man ranked in the top 2000. I just don't see why it matters. Women don't have to compete against men, nor should they.

And yet...you expected Zenyatta to go out of her way to continually seek top male competition on DIRT...when the world's greatest female horses only competed successfully on a regular basis with their male counterparts, on the GRASS.

jocko699
06-28-2017, 05:18 PM
And yet...you expected Zenyatta to go out of her way to continually seek top male competition on DIRT...when the world's greatest female horses only competed successfully on a regular basis with their male counterparts, on the GRASS.

I go on record saying Zenyatta could have beaten Johnny Mac.

cj
06-28-2017, 05:24 PM

Actually no, not at all. She should have tried top males on synthetics, which is what they were running on in California at the time. She never once ran in any of the big three races for older in California while running against the same old tomato cans in the races for fillies and mares. If the surface were dirt, different story.

If you want to say that synthetics are dirt, I can't buy into that. She had already proven she could handle males on it as a 5yo.

thaskalos
06-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Actually no, not at all. She should have tried top males on synthetics, which is what they were running on in California at the time. She never once ran in any of the big three races for older in California while running against the same old tomato cans in the races for fillies and mares. If the surface were dirt, different story.

If you want to say that synthetics are dirt, I can't buy into that. She had already proven she could handle males on it as a 5yo.

There wasn't one male horse in EXISTENCE who would have traveled 5 BLOCKS to meet Zenyatta on the synthetic surface. Even you yourself kept trumpeting that Zenyatta should have run more against males on the DIRT...even at the risk of losing some of those races.

cj
06-28-2017, 06:05 PM
There wasn't one male horse in EXISTENCE who would have traveled 5 BLOCKS to meet Zenyatta on the synthetic surface. Even you yourself kept trumpeting that Zenyatta should have run more against males on the DIRT...even at the risk of losing some of those races.

There were plenty of males in SoCal that were running on synthetics. It was amazing the connections kept ducking the likes of Richard's Kid. In 2010, the males that won that big 3 races were Awesome Gem, Misremembered, and Richard's Kid. What were they afraid of?

She was a fabulous horse with connections that were afraid to lose. At the end, I didn't see the point of continuing to run against tomato cans. Maybe they needed the money. If that is the case, can't blame them. She actually might have been able to beat top males on dirt had they not waited until she was nearly seven years old to try.

Robert Fischer
06-29-2017, 03:59 PM
awkward Netflix original series, Tennis/Comedy, starring Michael Rapaport and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

http://oi66.tinypic.com/6pp1qg.jpg