PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Football

Tom
06-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Barn-burner of a game tonight, Calgary v Ottawa.
28-28, into overtime.

I love CFL.

Greyfox
06-24-2017, 01:53 AM
Ended tied after double shootout overtime. 31-31
The two teams play in Calgary again next week.
Unfortunately, their colors are very similar.

reckless
06-24-2017, 07:06 AM
Wasn't one team nicknamed the Roughriders... and the other Rough Riders ??

woodtoo
06-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Yes Ottawa Rough Riders folded and have re-emerged as the Redblacks
a name sure to be not duplicated.:lol:
Any one have an idea what a redblack is? Been trying to figure this out.

HoofedInTheChest
06-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Any one have an idea what a redblack is? Been trying to figure this out.
The colours red and black have been primarily used in the uniforms of Ottawa sports teams, and the previous two CFL franchises.

Any name that started with R gave them the possibility of preserving that iconic "R" on the helmet.

The sawblade is a tribute to Ottawa's heritage as a logging town.

woodtoo
06-24-2017, 02:26 PM
The colours red and black have been primarily used in the uniforms of Ottawa sports teams, and the previous two CFL franchises.

Any name that started with R gave them the possibility of preserving that iconic "R" on the helmet.

The sawblade is a tribute to Ottawa's heritage as a logging town.
Thanks,this makes sense. Another mystery solved on PA.:D

jocko699
06-24-2017, 04:14 PM
My father was a vice-president with Northrup Aerospace in the 70's and he had to go to Toronto for a month to assist in setting up a plant there. I got to join him for a week and the President of the new Toronto tickets had season tickets to the maple leafs and the Argonauts.

I had never seen a hockey game, southern California kid, and was amazed by the speed on the ice. I quickly fell in love with the sport and have never left.

We went to an Argonaut game, Terry Metcalf was playing for them, and it was the coldest football game I ever went to. The seats were steel bleachers and while the game was very interesting compared to the NFL style of football I will never forget how cold I was.

HoofedInTheChest
06-24-2017, 04:44 PM
We went to an Argonaut game, Terry Metcalf was playing for them, and it was the coldest football game I ever went to. The seats were steel bleachers and while the game was very interesting compared to the NFL style of football I will never forget how cold I was.
That must have been the old Exhibition Stadium, they tore it down and built the new BMO Field for the soccer team, at the same location. The Argos moved in last season, much to the dismay of the soccer team.

http://football.ballparks.com/CFL/Toronto/oldaerial.jpg

jocko699
06-24-2017, 05:02 PM
That must have been the old Exhibition Stadium, they tore it down and built the new BMO Field for the soccer team, at the same location. The Argos moved in last season, much to the dismay of the soccer team.

http://football.ballparks.com/CFL/Toronto/oldaerial.jpg

Thanks for the info. Hopefully no more steel bleachers!!!!

Marshall Bennett
06-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Aren't the majority of the players up there rejects from the NFL?

woodtoo
06-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Aren't the majority of the players up there rejects from the NFL?

We call them NFL caliber without the attitude.

Ever heard of Warren Moon?

HoofedInTheChest
06-24-2017, 05:58 PM

Let's be honest here....

Average Salary for a CFL Player – $80,000

Sinner369
06-25-2017, 02:28 AM
Let's be honest here....

Average Salary for a CFL Player – $80,000

The CFL is not the NFL and had never claimed to be.........the CFL rules state that you have to start 7 Canadians per team.

Also, Canada has 1/10 the population of the USA and the TV contract is minuscule compared to the NFL.

But the game is unique with is three downs and wider field and less time outs.

Personally, I think the CFL game is more exciting and more wide open to watch than the NFL.

cj
06-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Remember when Baltimore won the Grey Cup! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4w24_DdJMk

HoofedInTheChest
06-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Remember when Baltimore won the Grey Cup! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4w24_DdJMk
In lovely Regina, did you make the trip? :lol:

You had Don Matthews as a head coach, he passed away last week.

HuggingTheRail
06-25-2017, 04:37 PM
I attended the BC Lions game last night - had free tickets, and it was my first CFL game in over a decade. If that is what the league is offering now....no thanks! To give the benefit of the doubt - it was the opening game of the season. However, both the game and in-game experience were sorely lacking. I have the opportunity to go again in August, but not sure that I will....

Marshall Bennett
06-25-2017, 04:50 PM

Well um...sorta, having been an Oilers fan living in Houston most of my life. You name one player that transferred and ended his career in the NFL. I would think there would be a few playing up there with uniquely higher salaries, but can't think of any. While the game is slightly different there and a local appeal might apply, I'd hardly ever compare it to the NFL in stature.
Someone mentioned that at least 7 members of each team must be Canadian. You don't think in an instant they'd be playing here if offered a spot on an NFL roster?

Tom
06-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Living in an are where the Bills are force fed every week, watching CFL is nirvana to me!

You know what the most exciting thing about Buffalo football is?

Watching the fans jump off the Peace Bridge.

Greyfox
06-25-2017, 06:27 PM
The athleticism of many CFL players is as good as the athleticism of NFL players.
CFL players typically are lacking "something" that NFL players have.
For example, size might be one factor or consistency another.
Adarius Bowman dropped a ball in his hands last night that would not be tolerated in the NFL.
But Bowman and others have similar speed to any NFL receiver.
Also, player of the game last night between Edmonton and BC was John White.
He carried the ball last night 17 times for 104 yards.
The problem is he's only 5'8" and weights only 186 pounds.
He's just too small for the NFL, even though the athleticism is there.
That said, on most nights the CFL games are often more exciting than NFL games.
The field is 15 yards wider, and 10 yards longer and the end zones are deeper.

cj
06-25-2017, 07:35 PM
In lovely Regina, did you make the trip? :lol:

You had Don Matthews as a head coach, he passed away last week.

I passed on that one! If I remember correctly, they lost in the title game the prior year on a field goal but even if it was missed they would have lost on a rouge most likely.

highnote
06-26-2017, 12:25 AM

Doug Flutie wasn't too shabby, either.

garyscpa
06-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Or Joe Theismann.

HoofedInTheChest
06-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Toronto – 32
Hamilton – 15

https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/879063441939599360

woodtoo
06-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Well um...sorta, having been an Oilers fan living in Houston most of my life. You name one player that transferred and ended his career in the NFL. I would think there would be a few playing up there with uniquely higher salaries, but can't think of any. While the game is slightly different there and a local appeal might apply, I'd hardly ever compare it to the NFL in stature.
Someone mentioned that at least 7 members of each team must be Canadian. You don't think in an instant they'd be playing here if offered a spot on an NFL roster?

I've heard of NFL signing bonuses that were higher than some CFLers whole careers. Most games are highly competitive.
If you combined Moons CFL and NFL passing yardage it would be a record.
Warren Moon was fantastic.:ThmbUp: