PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Heatwave Out West. 117 in Vegas?

maddog42
06-20-2017, 09:26 AM
http://gizmodo.com/the-southwest-us-is-about-to-get-torched-by-a-brutal-he-1796222030

Vegas may set a new record says CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/us/weather-west-heat-wave/index.html

BaffertsWig
06-20-2017, 09:38 AM
120 in Phoenix today.. I can't even begin to imagine what their electric bills are during the summer months. :eek:

Inner Dirt
06-20-2017, 10:18 AM
At least it is dry heat. I would take 117 with 15% humidity over 90 degrees and 70% humidity any time. I used to live in the Southern California desert, would go out all the time and do activities when it was over 110. Great time for golfing the green fees were deeply discounted mid day, public tennis courts were pretty much empty. As long as you stay hydrated hotter and dry isn't that bad, you can get used to it. You will never get used to high humidity with milder temps, it will sap your energy every time.

RunForTheRoses
06-20-2017, 11:12 AM
I lived in Vegas in June 1994, I had only moved out there a couple months before. At that time, I believe it was the hottest June on record. So so hot like living in an oven. Saw a concert out at the Silver Bowl and it was scorch city. I used to take the bus and got a helluva sunburn waiting for it, not much shade but a palm tree here or there. I remember coworkers were golf fanatics and they played at 6 in the morning to somewhat avoid the heat.
That's said like inner dirt said hot and humid is worse. I remember there was a news story that summer focused on Louisiana and the insane humidity levels there. Also, Vegas and the southwest can get real hot in the summer but you also get 70 and sunny in February, it is only brutally hot for about three months.

ElKabong
06-20-2017, 11:13 AM
I blame it on summer time...

ElKabong
06-20-2017, 11:21 AM
That's said like inner dirt said hot and humid is worse. I remember there was a news story that summer focused on Louisiana and the insane humidity levels there.

I agree with you. In June of 1980 we had a record heat wave. Got up to 116 twice, the whole summer we had no rain and something like 90 days of 100+ degree heat

It didn't feel any hotter than a typical 95 degree here most of those days because there was no humidity to speak of (usually have humidity here). Go to Lafayette LA, it's unbearable in the summer. Been there quite a bit in the past, you need to take 3 showers a day. The humidity there is that thick. I'd take 117 degrees over that any day

Robert Fischer
06-20-2017, 11:25 AM
el hombre weather pattern

jocko699
06-20-2017, 11:51 AM
120 in Phoenix today.. I can't even begin to imagine what their electric bills are during the summer months. :eek:

I lived in Tucson a few years ago while building a project at Davis-Monthan AFB. It was usually about 4-6 degrees cooler in Tucson than Phoenix. Of course when it's a 115 who cares, lol.

We had our AC set at 70 but I do no recall ever paying more than $150.00 or so a month. When we lived in California it was a different story and I recalled bills as high as $300.00 during the summers.

barn32
06-20-2017, 12:09 PM
It was 85° in Las Vegas this morning and I had to wear my sweater.

Al Gore said there would be days like these and he was right.

If we only had leadership like the Great Al Gore today.

Marshall Bennett
06-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Its always a "dry" heat at those temperatures as the heat burns off any humidity. The heat actually becomes more of a threat than humidity ever can. Go outside and jog in it a while and see what happens.
Humidity is often horrible in Houston this time of year. Few people enjoy sweating by merely walking outside. On the flip side many more suffer heat related illnesses in 110+ temperatures. I drove to Vegas one summer when it was 117. I'll never forget opening my car door at the hotel, was like stepping into a furnace. A mild breeze actually made it even worse. I'll take 90 and humidity any day of the week over anything like that.

Inner Dirt
06-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Its always a "dry" heat at those temperatures as the heat burns off any humidity. The heat actually becomes more of a threat than humidity ever can. Go outside and jog in it a while and see what happens.
Humidity is often horrible in Houston this time of year. Few people enjoy sweating by merely walking outside. On the flip side many more suffer heat related illnesses in 110+ temperatures. I drove to Vegas one summer when it was 117. I'll never forget opening my car door at the hotel, was like stepping into a furnace. A mild breeze actually made it even worse. I'll take 90 and humidity any day of the week over anything like that.

You are the only one so far on that side. I have actually rode 10 miles on a bicycle (as a test) when it was 126, jogged 3 miles in Vegas when it was 115, and ran 10 miles in Riverside Ca when it was 110. Of course I was a young man then. You can get used to the heat, as for high temps burning off humidity in the mentioned area the summer humidity is low even if it is only 85 degrees at 7am.

barn32
06-20-2017, 01:20 PM
I've lived in Las Vegas for eight years, and yesterday was the first time I can remember (while I was taking a walk) having my arms feeling burned while I was walking. And I had only been out for a short time.

Valuist
06-20-2017, 03:02 PM
104 in San Jose yesterday. So much for dry heat. Any time its over 100, it feels like a furnace.

Tom
06-20-2017, 05:18 PM
IT was 117 in Vegas when BillW an I were there are few years ago.

You know what I like about 117 degrees?

NOTHING!!!!!!

PaceAdvantage
06-20-2017, 06:06 PM
I was in Vegas at least a good 15-20 years ago when it was over 110...I think it got to 113-115 during the day.

It was not pleasant.

Jeff P
06-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Moved to Phoenix from Philly when I was 10.

I have one very vivid memory from the day we arrived. About 30 minutes out the pilot had announced in one of those classic southern drawls commercial airline pilots seem to have that the temp in Phoenix was a warm 97 degrees. (It had been something like mid 60's that day when we boarded the plane in Philly.)

Back then you boarded and exited airplanes via a staircase located on the tarmac.

I remember walking down the stairs, taking a few steps on the tarmac, and feeling the desert for the first time. It wasn't unbearable but for about the first 30 seconds, because I could hear jet engines, I thought that the heat was because we were on the tarmac and somehow jet engines were blowing hot air on us.

But as we walked to the baggage claim area -- which was outside back then -- I realized that jet engines had nothing to do with it and what I was feeling wasn't about to go away any time soon.

Btw, 97 (the temp that first day) is nothing. I recall a couple of days where it got so hot they actually had to shut the airport down because the insurance carriers would only cover an air disaster up to a certain temp (120 I think it was.)

Lived in Phoenix for about 35 years and am in San Diego as I type this.

Just took these screenshots a few minutes ago -- tale of two cities:

Phoenix weather:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/avatars/PHX_06202017-1552hrs.jpg

San Diego weather:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/avatars/PacificbeachCA_06202017-1354hrs.jpg

-jp

RunForTheRoses
06-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Lived in Phoenix for about 35 years and am in San Diego as I type this.

Just took these screenshots a few minutes ago -- tale of two cities:

Phoenix weather:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/avatars/PHX_06202017-1552hrs.jpg

San Diego weather:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/avatars/PacificbeachCA_06202017-1354hrs.jpg

-jp

.[/QUOTE]

Ever since I lived in Vegas, I'm back east now, I'm a idk Goldilocks Bear who doesn't like it too hot or too cold. Hate hot and humid A LOT, also don't like freezing my b--off in the winter either. San Diego/La Jolla 78 year round is what I aspire to.

RaceBookJoe
06-20-2017, 11:58 PM
Parts of the vegas valley hit 120 today . Official temp is taken at the airport though, and I believe its a shaded area where that temp is taken. Power bills jump like crazy for me. Highest bill I ever had in the summer was just over $400 a few years ago, usually over $300 during the summer months. Winters are much more affordable though :)