PDA

View Full Version : Looking for software

Tom
06-18-2017, 10:33 AM
I used to use Snapfiles Simple File joiner, but my computer crashed and I don''t have the set up file anymore.

I need a program that will take multiple txt files and combine them into one large text file. The files are txt results/charts files, one for each track each day. I combine them into one monthly file to use to feed Access.

Anyone using something like this?

DeltaLover
06-18-2017, 10:47 AM
I used to use Snapfiles Simple File joiner, but my computer crashed and I don''t have the set up file anymore.

I need a program that will take multiple txt files and combine them into one large text file. The files are txt results/charts files, one for each track each day. I combine them into one monthly file to use to feed Access.

Anyone using something like this?

In linux this can be done as follows:

cat file1 file2 file3 > newfile

see here for more:

https://superuser.com/questions/111825/a-command-line-or-batch-cmd-to-concatenate-multiple-files

In windows is should be done using the type command:

type file1 file2 file3 > newfile

or

copy file1+file2+file3 targetfile

headhawg
06-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Check out this page, Tom: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/combine-or-merge-all-text-files-with-txtcollector/

You might find something you like there. I use Notepad++ as an editor but haven't tried the combine.dll plugin. If you go that route, make sure to download the 32-bit version of Notepad++ as the plugin won't work with the 64-bit version. PM me if you need some help.

vegasone
06-18-2017, 10:53 AM
If you can get to the command line you can type a command to combine them . Been about 100 years but it was something like type *.txt > name.txt (or .whatever)

Also should be quite a few open source programs I have seen in the past that would do it. Whether the end result comes out correctly would depend on the original containing characters that would screw it up.

Tom
06-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Luckily, I fond the original set up exe file on my older computer, so I re-installed it on that one. It is a very easy prgram - you just highlight all the files you want to join and click on ADD.

Thanks tot replies, guys.