PDA

View Full Version : New Track Visit

Track Collector
06-18-2017, 12:44 AM
I am visiting in-laws in FL.

A few months ago I found a place nearby (about 30 minutes away) located near The Villages that has a poker room, so I had tentative plans to get away for part of a day. The place is called Oxford Downs. In order to "comply" with the regulations to have a card room, they run a number of QH races over several days. Subject races are said to be match races, with the horses coming out of a normal starting gate. There is pari-mutuel wagering, but no past performances and no board displaying the current odds.

Today on PaceAdvantage, one of the headlines stated that racing was currently underway, and this coming week they "run" on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I should have linked the article before it dropped off the screen.

They have an agreement with "some group" of horsemen, and purses for this season will be about $200,000 which is about 4% of what they have made on the card room. Supposedly handle for last year's meet topped $7K. :eek:

Many in the Industry consider this an "unsanctioned" meet, but because they will offer pari-mutuel wagering, I'm going to count and add this track to my official Track Collecting list! And thanks to PA as I would have had no idea that they were racing at this particular time.

My handicapping skills for the Monday visit will be interesting to say the least. With Win betting only and no horizontal wagers, my handicapping will consist of the following:

--- Visually observe the horse and/or jockey
--- Mental telepathy
--- Flip a coin
--- Always bet on the #1 (or #2) horse
--- Ask the teller if his/her machine shows a "hidden" pool distribution to try to learn who the local sharpies have bet on.

I could also pass a race, but wagering on most of the races is required to count the visit, so that is not happening. If the forces were totally against me, the most I could lose is something like $16-$20, which I will hopefully make up in the Poker Room. :)

This experience should be a blast!!! :cool:

Redboard
06-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. Do they have a year-round OTB there? Im moving to The Villages on Wednesday(Piedmont) and will try to get there on Friday. Ill be looking for an OTB IN the area. I was under the impression Id have to go to Tampa Bay downs and it would be nice to find something closer.

cj
06-18-2017, 01:29 PM
If this is anything like Hialeah, and it sounds just like it, I could never support it.

NJ Stinks
06-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Do they have a year-round OTB there? Im moving to The Villages on Wednesday(Piedmont) and will try to get there on Friday. Ill be looking for an OTB IN the area. I was under the impression Id have to go to Tampa Bay downs and it would be nice to find something closer.

Scroll down in the link below, Redbeard. It lists the June simulcasting schedule.

http://betoxford.com/horse-racing-starts/

Track Collector
06-18-2017, 04:00 PM
If this is anything like Hialeah, and it sounds just like it, I could never support it.

I would prefer "sanctioned" races as well, but for now it is what it is.

That said, I doubt that the wagering handle of myself and the 50 or so other folks who choose to bet tomorrow is going to provide any real level of "support". I may never have another opportunity to visit, so I am taking advantage of the timing and my closeness to the facility.

Come to think of it, I'm going to be ticked off if they don't have free parking and free race programs. :p

cj
06-18-2017, 04:07 PM
I would prefer "sanctioned" races as well, but for now it is what it is.

That said, I doubt that the wagering handle of myself and the 50 or so other folks who choose to bet tomorrow is going to provide any real level of "support". I may never have another opportunity to visit, so I am taking advantage of the timing and my closeness to the facility.

Come to think of it, I'm going to be ticked off if they don't have free parking and free race programs. :p

I hear you, and I'm sure they don't even care if they get any support at all. Maybe it is better than Hialeah. That whole situation just turns my stomach.

barahona44
06-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Link to the article that was on PA the other day.

http://www.ocala.com/news/20170616/quarter-horse-racing-underway-in-south-marion-county

Track Collector
06-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the linked article, barahona44.

Well today is in the books. By law they need to run 20 "programs" a year. Today they were scheduled to run two separate programs of 8 races each. The first session started at noon and the second session was scheduled to start at 2:15 p.m.

Races were run about every 7 to 8 minutes. Because of this I missed betting on a few races. Of the ones I did wager on, I managed to lose a grand total of $0.60. I did not see any live tellers, but the self-service machines, which also could be used for the simulcast races, did display the race odds, so I could use "that" information to assist in my selection choice. I also recall hearing, whether it was true or not, that most, if not all of the participants, were First Time Starters. Each race was 1f (110-yards) and had a purse of $1200. I was not able to determine what the split was, but I am sure the loser of the race had to receive something for their efforts. I did notice a sign though that indicated that the takeout rate was a very competitive 15%. I was also told the track was a 5/8-mile oval, and one could notice the elevation undulation, kind of like that of Kentucky Downs.

The day started out with beautiful whether, but then around 12:40 p.m. a rainstorm blew in. After about 15-20 minutes the sun was out and it looked like the rain was about to stop. This was very-short lived, and eventually the first session (after 7 races) AND the entire second session was cancelled. I suspect the second session will need to be made up, but who knows. Maybe on one of the remaining days they will have THREE racing programs! :D

On the outside of the building in front of the finish line by about a furlong was an attractive area under roof which I think was called the "Tiki" bar.

Parking was free as I had expected it to be, but "programs" were $1. :mad: (I may post a copy of one of the pages of this immensely informative "program" when I get home when I have access to a scanner.). In reality though, I purchased a program not for the info that was in it, but as a record to help validate that a visit to this track was made.

An interesting experience for sure, and fortunately I was able to make up the $1.60 (program and wagering losses) with a very nice session in their poker room. :jump:

wisconsin
06-20-2017, 09:55 AM
When you are collecting tracks like we do, any kind of track will do.

Scheduled stops in 2017

Hazel Park
North Dakota Horse Park (Fargo)
Horesmen's Omaha

Track Collector
06-20-2017, 12:39 PM
When you are collecting tracks like we do, any kind of track will do.

Scheduled stops in 2017

Hazel Park
North Dakota Horse Park (Fargo)
Horsemen's Omaha

Went to Hazel Park I think about 3 years ago. (Whatever year, it was the one when thoroughbred races returned after a long hiatus.). I think you will enjoy it. There was a very nice, but somewhat small seating area that was elevated above ground level that was back some from finish line. For another very nice viewing point, go into the separate building which is to the right of the track and main tote board. The building has multi-levels. I think it was the top level that allowed one to sit right up against to glass to overlook the track at what is normally termed the "Clubhouse" turn. Surprisingly for such a small track oval, this other building faces a second tote board since the main one is at any angle at that viewpoint and hard to read. While they probably will not be running live races, during the day one can make a short drive for extensive simulcasting at harness track Northville Downs.

I went to North Dakota Horse Park on their very first day in 2004. Nothing particularly noteworthy, but a new track like you said. I know they have been off a few years here and there due to finanical troubles, so it is good to get them in when you can. Chippewa (in Belcourt, ND) runs 3-4 weekends I think in June. Highly recommend them!

I have been to Horsemen's Park Omaha a number of times while visiting other area tracks, but not while they had live racing. I originally considered a visit this year in July along with another trip, but decided it was not a good idea to be away from home for so long this year. (Need to keep the wife somewhat happy you know. :)). Perhaps in 2018.

If you have not been there already, you need to put Prineville, OR on your short-list. They race 4 consecutive evenings in mid-July. I enjoy this meet so much I have gone there the past 6 or 7 straight years. As a fellow track collector perhaps we can meet up some day at Prineville or one of these other tracks. :ThmbUp:

wisconsin
06-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Went to Hazel Park I think about 3 years ago. (Whatever year, it was the one when thoroughbred races returned after a long hiatus.). I think you will enjoy it. There was a very nice, but somewhat small seating area that was elevated above ground level that was back some from finish line. For another very nice viewing point, go into the separate building which is to the right of the track and main tote board. The building has multi-levels. I think it was the top level that allowed one to sit right up against to glass to overlook the track at what is normally termed the "Clubhouse" turn. Surprisingly for such a small track oval, this other building faces a second tote board since the main one is at any angle at that viewpoint and hard to read. While they probably will not be running live races, during the day one can make a short drive for extensive simulcasting at harness track Northville Downs.

I went to North Dakota Horse Park on their very first day in 2004. Nothing particularly noteworthy, but a new track like you said. I know they have been off a few years here and there due to finanical troubles, so it is good to get them in when you can. Chippewa (in Belcourt, ND) runs 3-4 weekends I think in June. Highly recommend them!

I have been to Horsemen's Park Omaha a number of times while visiting other area tracks, but not while they had live racing. I originally considered a visit this year in July along with another trip, but decided it was not a good idea to be away from home for so long this year. (Need to keep the wife somewhat happy you know. :)). Perhaps in 2018.

If you have not been there already, you need to put Prineville, OR on your short-list. They race 4 consecutive evenings in mid-July. I enjoy this meet so much I have gone there the past 6 or 7 straight years. As a fellow track collector perhaps we can meet up some day at Prineville or one of these other tracks. :ThmbUp:

The far away tracks, such as the Oregon/Washington leaky roof circuit will likely need to wait until retirement. 53 tracks and counting, many more to go.

MonmouthParkJoe
06-21-2017, 08:35 AM

Friend of mine is the announcer at Chippewa. Called the races for us at Rillito. Young guy and does a great job.