PDA

View Full Version : Migliore leaving NYRA TV

thespaah
06-16-2017, 04:26 PM
I did not see a thread on this. If I have missed it, apologies...
Richard Migliore announces his departure from NYRA TV.
I think he does an excellent job. I shall miss his presence with NYRA.
https://www.nyra.com/belmont/news/racing-analyst-richard-migliore-announces-his-departure-from-nyra

Dahoss9698
06-16-2017, 04:48 PM
He was a nice addition. But can see why he's stepping down. Can't imagine it's much fun living 200 miles from where you work.

Of course leave it to the Internet losers to act like NYRA did something wrong.

JustRalph
06-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Love the guy! OTM Al introduced me to him at AQU once. He was great to talk to. He put up with me and we talked about my fav ride of his.......

I hope somebody tells him he could do a nice PODCAST or video Podcast from the farm. Hell, I'd watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDTrsNOuraQ

He almost got MW there......

lamboguy
06-16-2017, 05:57 PM
he gave tremendous insight with an already great team. he will be missed

GMB@BP
06-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Well hoping everything works out because he was great on the broadcast.

NYRA has definitely lost some talent the past few months.

Tom
06-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Richie did a great presentation on a night school segment on how to play the NYRA tracks. Not the usual puff stuff you get from 99% of the "experts."

Well worth digging up and listening to that one if you are new to NYRA,

Still think a replay show is all they really need.

thespaah
06-17-2017, 09:39 AM
He was a nice addition. But can see why he's stepping down. Can't imagine it's much fun living 200 miles from where you work.

Of course leave it to the Internet losers to act like NYRA did something wrong.

Naah...in his presser, he made it abundantly clear he is leaving due to family and work ( farm) reasons.
BTW, Millbrook is in Dutchess County. Just east of Poughkeepsie.
About 90 miles from Belmont Park

MonmouthParkJoe
06-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Loved him on the show, but can you really blame him with his commute? Like 2 hours without traffic :eek:

Dahoss9698
06-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Naah...in his presser, he made it abundantly clear he is leaving due to family and work ( farm) reasons.

Yeah I meant about a 200 mile round trip. Trying to post on your phone sucks sometimes :lol:

NY BRED
06-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Loved Rich as a Jockey, and I admired his insight on
NYRA jocks regardless if they were at the top or the bottom
of the colony.

In short, he did not play the political game..

That said, and understanding the tough commute to Belmont, why not pull the plug after the Saratoga meet, which is an easier
commute and the place to be in August?

thespaah
06-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Yeah I meant about a 200 mile round trip. Trying to post on your phone sucks sometimes :lol:

Ya know....After I posted, I thought you may have meant round trip.
No worries.

thespaah
06-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Loved him on the show, but can you really blame him with his commute? Like 2 hours without traffic :eek:

Even if he drove to Poughkeepsie to catch Metro North, it's still a couple hours each way.

SuperPickle
06-18-2017, 01:06 AM
I'm not sure if it was Wednesday or Thursday but I was watched a race to see a friend of a friend's horse race. It was a one turn turf race. Mugs says the :7: looks like a supermodel. Says he's the best horse he's seen all card. Won and paid $30. That was 2-3 days ago.

Simply put the guy knows more about horses than this entire forum.

I also want to say something about his riding ability. He was in that legendary NYRA jocks room of the late 80's to late 90's. You had Cordero, Smith, Julie, Santos, Bailey, Robbie Davis, a baby Johnny V, and Antley. I'm sure I forgot a couple guys. Outside of Johnny V. He's last man standing. He's the missing link. Anyone from that era remembers he was lucky to get 4-5 mounts a day at Toga. When he had that career resurgence at the end right before he got hurt I kept using that as a point of showing of how much better those guys are than today's guys.

NY BRED
06-18-2017, 08:00 AM
[I . When he had that career resurgence at the end right before he got hurt I kept using that as a point of showing of how much better those guys are than today's guys.[/QUOTE]

Btw, Mig really wanted to return to racing depsite warnings from his
surgeons, and thankfully he followed their advice.

I still remember his apprentice year and the various racing fans
who loved this talented and fearless jockey.

Maybe Terry Finley and Dave Johnson can bring the Mig in
as a commentator on their Sirius show?

:jump::jump::jump:

SuperPickle
06-18-2017, 05:47 PM
[I . When he had that career resurgence at the end right before he got hurt I kept using that as a point of showing of how much better those guys are than today's guys.

Btw, Mig really wanted to return to racing depsite warnings from his
surgeons, and thankfully he followed their advice.

I still remember his apprentice year and the various racing fans
who loved this talented and fearless jockey.

Maybe Terry Finley and Dave Johnson can bring the Mig in
as a commentator on their Sirius show?

:jump::jump::jump:[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% sure how well publicized this was but right before h got hurt he was in the process of finalizing a deal with Godolphin to be their number 2 rider behind Frankie for the summer flat meet in Europe. Yeah it was number two but you know how many days they have two big horses running at different tracks?

The injury cost him the accomplishment of a life time.

PaceAdvantage
06-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Simply put the guy knows more about horses than this entire forum. I laughed

Fager Fan
06-19-2017, 07:47 AM
I'm not 100% sure how well publicized this was but right before h got hurt he was in the process of finalizing a deal with Godolphin to be their number 2 rider behind Frankie for the summer flat meet in Europe. Yeah it was number two but you know how many days they have two big horses running at different tracks?

The injury cost him the accomplishment of a life time.

Their number 1 horses didn't win as often as they should, so I'm not sure that being #2 was such a terrible loss of accomplishment.

It's nothing compared to Ramon, who was forced to retire at the top of his game, which was as the best and most desired rider in the country.

PaceAdvantage
06-19-2017, 10:35 AM
I'm not 100% sure how well publicized this was but right before h got hurt he was in the process of finalizing a deal with Godolphin to be their number 2 rider behind Frankie for the summer flat meet in Europe.In 2009, the NYT says he was under contract with Godolphin to be a "hybrid exercise rider, jockey and assistant trainer for its herd of high-priced horses."

Nothing about being the #2 rider behind FD for the summer flat meet in Europe...

reckless
06-19-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if it was Wednesday or Thursday but I was watched a race to see a friend of a friend's horse race. It was a one turn turf race. Mugs says the :7: looks like a supermodel. Says he's the best horse he's seen all card. Won and paid $30. That was 2-3 days ago.

Simply put the guy knows more about horses than this entire forum.

I also want to say something about his riding ability. He was in that legendary NYRA jocks room of the late 80's to late 90's. You had Cordero, Smith, Julie, Santos, Bailey, Robbie Davis, a baby Johnny V, and Antley. I'm sure I forgot a couple guys. Outside of Johnny V. He's last man standing. He's the missing link. Anyone from that era remembers he was lucky to get 4-5 mounts a day at Toga. When he had that career resurgence at the end right before he got hurt I kept using that as a point of showing of how much better those guys are than today's guys.

I met Migliore in 1981 the year he won an Eclipse Award as racing's top apprentice jockey. He rode first call and primarily for Steve DiMauro of Wajima fame and an ex-rider himself. Joe Shea was his agent. Shea was once the agent for Ron Turcotte, among others.

I don't recall The Mig ever cracking the Top 5 in the standings in those early years against NYRA's hall of fame jock's room but he always held his own with them. I always said he was the most underrated rider of his time, fwiw, but I truly believed it then, and still do today as well.

At and about the same time the great horseman, Mike Hushion, was building his very own racing stable after many years working for H. Allen Jerkens. One year in the late 80s and early 90s (?) it all clicked for Hushion. In a Racing Form article Hushion mentioned the success he and Migliore were having. Hushion said that Migliore helped him immensely on his own time in the early years and he (Migliore) never asked me (Hushion) for any thing in return. I promised him that once I got some horses of some count, I'd ride him.

Hushion was good to his word and he and Migliore would win a boat load of races together for many, many years after.

Anyone who even remotely knows Migliore knows that his 'greatness' as a racing analyst and commentator is no fluke.

MonmouthParkJoe
06-19-2017, 12:20 PM
I met Migliore in 1981 the year he won an Eclipse Award as racing's top apprentice jockey. He rode first call and primarily for Steve DiMauro of Wajima fame and an ex-rider himself. Joe Shea was his agent. Shea was once the agent for Ron Turcotte, among others.

I don't recall The Mig ever cracking the Top 5 in the standings in those early years against NYRA's hall of fame jock's room but he always held his own with them. I always said he was the most underrated rider of his time, fwiw, but I truly believed it then, and still do today as well.

At and about the same time the great horseman, Mike Hushion, was building his very own racing stable after many years working for H. Allen Jerkens. One year in the late 80s and early 90s (?) it all clicked for Hushion. In a Racing Form article Hushion mentioned the success he and Migliore were having. Hushion said that Migliore helped him immensely on his own time in the early years and he (Migliore) never asked me (Hushion) for any thing in return. I promised him that once I got some horses of some count, I'd ride him.

Hushion was good to his word and he and Migliore would win a boat load of races together for many, many years after.

Anyone who even remotely knows Migliore knows that his 'greatness' as a racing analyst and commentator is no fluke.

If i remember correctly he was under some sort of contract when he was an apprentice for those first few years. Once he bought it out, he was able to ride for other trainers as he pleased. That is when his career took off.

JimG
07-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Migliore has signed with XBTV. https://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/migliore-joins-xbtv-racing-analyst-expanding-digital-media-teams-east-coast-coverage/

Dahoss9698
07-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Watching Twitter react to the Mig going to XBTV has been hilarious. Why is it that the people that know the least are always the ones talking the most?

JustRalph
07-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Where are the Xbtv studios?

JimG
07-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Where are the Xbtv studios? Santa Anita, but it sounds like Mig is going to be based on the east coast concentrating on workouts and body language.

davew
07-19-2017, 10:14 PM

How far from Saratoga and Aqueduct?

ldiatone
07-20-2017, 12:53 AM
XBTV welcomes Richard Migliore

Cice
07-20-2017, 09:12 AM
It sounded like he was trying to be home more, I wonder what happened with NYRA for him to leave?

GMB@BP
07-20-2017, 08:10 PM
It sounded like he was trying to be home more, I wonder what happened with NYRA for him to leave?

They are building a studio in his house so he does not have to travel.

JustRalph
07-20-2017, 08:13 PM
They are building a studio in his house so he does not have to travel.

I figured as much. That makes it all sound like it was an offer he couldn't refuse

jballscalls
07-21-2017, 09:37 AM
I figured as much. That makes it all sound like it was an offer he couldn't refuse

I had Jason Blewitt on my show a couple weeks back and he said that when he was first working with XBTV that the "east coast correspondent" was kind of what they were pitching to him, but he wanted less travel/more stability, so chose to go to GP full time. Seems this was a better fit for Mig cause they can do a lot of stuff from home, then just travel to east coast bigger events on weekends, as opposed to driving 5 days a week to and from NYRA tracks.

Tom
07-21-2017, 04:49 PM
I once bet a horse in my pajamas.
How he got in my pajamas I will never know!
------The Mig, 2017