PDA

View Full Version : the future of exotic wagering and racing

fishorsechess
08-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Remember the good old days when life was simple?
You bet win, place or show.
Then came the exactas, then Pick Six's , trifectas
Pick 3 and 4's.
At major racetracks Im wondering what the future has
in store.

My guesses:

1) Twin trifectas at racetracks. Las Vegas books already
have this. The twin races can be from different racetracks.
2) International wagering where more foreigners
will bet U.S. racetracks and vice versa.

Sort of wondered what happen to the Pick 9.
I guess if its too difficult a bet people lose interest.

superfecta
08-05-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by fishorsechess
Remember the good old days when life was simple?
You bet win, place or show.
Then came the exactas, then Pick Six's , trifectas
Pick 3 and 4's.
At major racetracks Im wondering what the future has
in store.

My guesses:

1) Twin trifectas at racetracks. Las Vegas books already
have this. The twin races can be from different racetracks.
2) International wagering where more foreigners
will bet U.S. racetracks and vice versa.

Sort of wondered what happen to the Pick 9.
I guess if its too difficult a bet people lose interest. good ole days?Not to me.Good ole days didn't have simulcasting either.Exotics and simos are good for the game,whats needed is educating the novice about the bets,to get the interest up.

Holy Bull
08-05-2004, 01:54 AM
A lot of people really get their interest piqued when they here they lose 25+% off the top for the takeout.

Macdiarmadillo
08-05-2004, 01:55 AM
The win pick 9 here was so cheap about consolations, I think it discouraged a lot of people. The tracks wanted to make it a hard bet to build up big carryovers. They could try it like football cards, where a certain number of wins get a part of the total pool. That might infringe on the pick six crowd.

Where Del Mar had that huge caryrover, some places never have enough P6 players, period, to have big carryovers, like CD. So there's a potential for smaller pools when you have lots of exotics to choose from.

Tracks experimented with Vegas-style head-to-head betting. And there's the Ky Derby/ BC futures betting. Watch what Vegas comes up with and finds successful and the tracks will follow.

Speed Figure
08-05-2004, 02:13 AM
Oaktree is coming with a $1 pick 5.

Jeff P
08-05-2004, 02:48 AM
Where Del Mar had that huge caryrover, some places never have enough P6 players, period, to have big carryovers, like CD. So there's a potential for smaller pools when you have lots of exotics to choose from.

Sometimes I like to go in the exact opposite direction that everybody goes.

One of my favorite types of plays has always been what I call a "Trash Can Pick Six" ticket. I like to play a small ticket, usually $16.00 (3 races with 2 horses each and 3 races where I have single selections) at tracks with tiny carryovers that attract very little pick six attention. Places like Turfway, Ellis, and Canterbury are perfect for this. My goal really isn't to try and take down the whole pot. If and when that ever happens I'll be the most amazed person on this earth. Instead my goal is a consolation payoff. I never ceased to be amazed at the number of times I've hit surprisingly decent Pick-6 consolation payoffs with only 3 of 6 or 4 of 6 using exactly this type of strategy.

JohnGalt1
08-07-2004, 08:53 AM
In my ignorance this Spring I played a $48 pick six at LaD not knowing they they have very small pools, especially with no carryover.

I hit 5/6. The race I missed had 3 horses and I collected $87.

The next days carryover was $337!!!

I do like to play smaller tracks but there has to be at leat $3000 carryover, because no whale is going to put $1000 dollar tickets like they do in California.