Prelim Sat dirt Beyers for Belmont:
Mor Spirit 117
Tapwrit 103
War Story 102
American Anthem 102
West Coast 99
Abel Tasman 99
Songbird 97

I wonder if Abel Tasman is actually faster than Songbird.

Afleet
06-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Beyer thinks so; me not so much

cj
06-13-2017, 09:33 PM
Beyer thinks so; me not so much

She was faster on Saturday.

GMB@BP
06-13-2017, 09:54 PM
She was faster on Saturday.

Sat felt like a workout, where you know you are with a inferior workmate so you just kind of run around and then accelerate at the end of the workout.

Its pretty rare that a speed horse lets another horse come past them and then just go on by whenever they want to. Its not a usual move, let alone in a top grade 1 race.

cj
06-13-2017, 10:57 PM
Sat felt like a workout, where you know you are with a inferior workmate so you just kind of run around and then accelerate at the end of the workout.

Its pretty rare that a speed horse lets another horse come past them and then just go on by whenever they want to. Its not a usual move, let alone in a top grade 1 race.

No doubt, I wasn't saying it was her best effort by any stretch. I was responding to the Beyer comment. I seriously doubt he thinks Abel Tasman is a faster horse than Songbird.

GMB@BP
06-13-2017, 10:59 PM
No doubt, I wasn't saying it was her best effort by any stretch. I was responding to the Beyer comment. I seriously doubt he thinks Abel Tasman is a faster horse than Songbird.

Yea, was just using your post to make a point about Songbird. It was a strange race in a few ways.

dilanesp
06-13-2017, 11:11 PM

I don't. Now. But if AT continues to progress, it could be fun to watch later in the year (especially if Songbird gets pace pressure).

cj
06-13-2017, 11:13 PM
I don't. Now. But if AT continues to progress, it could be fun to watch later in the year (especially if Songbird gets pace pressure).

Of course. And you just never know, especially with fillies. There is no guarantee she'll come back as good as she was. Rachel and Untapable are a few recent examples. There are many, many more.

ReplayRandall
06-13-2017, 11:27 PM
Prelim Sat dirt Beyers for Belmont:
Mor Spirit 117
Tapwrit 103
War Story 102
American Anthem 102
West Coast 99
Abel Tasman 99
Songbird 97

I'm starting to see the future of the Beyer figures, and that future looks dim, slowly fading into obscurity, as superior numbers/projections move into their rightful place at the forefront of the handicapper's focus.....The Sheets are facing the same slow fade into obsolescence, it's only a matter of time until they're gone as well.....Just my take, as a previous user of both, a non-user for over 5 years now, and I'm much better off for leaving them behind.

classhandicapper
06-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Of course. And you just never know, especially with fillies. There is no guarantee she'll come back as good as she was. Rachel and Untapable are a few recent examples. There are many, many more.

I agree. Even when they come back good, you often don't get any further development. Quite a few seem to mature earlier than their male counterparts.

I was a big defender of hers last year and still think she was better than some figure oriented handicappers thought (just not quite as good as the more seasoned and older Beholder at that stage). But I wasn't particularly impressed with this first race back. They left CA to avoid the tougher mares, this wasn't a particularly strong field, the race was not fast, and if anything, she was in the better path. She'll probably move forward, but she BETTER if she wants to beat some of the mares in CA.

Fager Fan
06-16-2017, 08:18 AM
I agree. Even when they come back good, you often don't get any further development. Quite a few seem to mature earlier than their male counterparts.

I was a big defender of hers last year and still think she was better than some figure oriented handicappers thought (just not quite as good as the more seasoned and older Beholder at that stage). But I wasn't particularly impressed with this first race back. They left CA to avoid the tougher mares, this wasn't a particularly strong field, the race was not fast, and if anything, she was in the better path. She'll probably move forward, but she BETTER if she wants to beat some of the mares in CA.

I've heard this a lot about this race, and understand it (though Stellar Wind seems to be the lone CA horse, not multiple CA horses to worry about). But I thought Stellar Wind's winning time didn't seem too fast either. I didn't explore it further, I didn't look at the other times for the day or look to see what figures she got, so perhaps you or others would care to help me out?

The photos I've seen looked like she was really hot/tired coming back. Every vein popped.

cj
06-16-2017, 09:30 AM
I've heard this a lot about this race, and understand it (though Stellar Wind seems to be the lone CA horse, not multiple CA horses to worry about). But I thought Stellar Wind's winning time didn't seem too fast either. I didn't explore it further, I didn't look at the other times for the day or look to see what figures she got, so perhaps you or others would care to help me out?

The photos I've seen looked like she was really hot/tired coming back. Every vein popped.

Stellar Wind

120 TimeformUS, Beyer 100

Songbird

116 TimeformUS, Beyer 97

Fager Fan
06-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Stellar Wind

120 TimeformUS, Beyer 100

Songbird

116 TimeformUS, Beyer 97

Thanks. I was wondering what I was missing with the multiple comments (not here) that SW would've whipped her bad. Instead, they're not far apart despite the first race back, flying cross country to new surface, and giving substantial weight. Should be a good matchup whenever it happens.

classhandicapper
06-16-2017, 10:12 AM
I should add that Smith clearly did not ask Songbird for her best late and never really asked her early at all. So it's hard to tell what was in the tank, but I don't think the fillies behind her in that race are especially good and it wasn't like she drew off with ease when finally ridden.

There are a few good older mares.

Stellar Wind is terrific.
Forever Unbridled was getting good late last year.
Val Dori is good.

Don't forget Unique Bella. She might move past all of them before it's over.

GMB@BP
06-16-2017, 11:31 AM
I should add that Smith clearly did not ask Songbird for her best late and never really asked her early at all. So it's hard to tell what was in the tank, but I don't think the fillies behind her in that race are especially good and it wasn't like she drew off with ease when finally ridden.

There are a few good older mares.

Stellar Wind is terrific.
Forever Unbridled was getting good late last year.
Val Dori is good.

Don't forget Unique Bella. She might move past all of them before it's over.

I doubt UB would ever run against Songbird, well not if it can be avoided that is.

Also I think UB is a ways out from a return.

Fager Fan
06-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Forever Unbridled is good. I forgot about her. I don't even know if she's run yet this year.

cj
06-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Forever Unbridled is good. I forgot about her. I don't even know if she's run yet this year.

Saturday at Churchill.

Fager Fan
06-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Saturday at Churchill.

Thanks for the heads up!