PDA

View Full Version : for smf

Observer
04-23-2001, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your outing to LS. That kind of thing happens from time to time. Horses that give the general appearance that they are too nervous or have "washed out" sometimes just have that habit but can run well regardless. The only way to know this is to know the horse, otherwise, like what happened to you, you might get turned off by what you see.

Anytime you go to the track, maybe make notes on horses general appearance. The next time you go to the track, maybe some of those horses will be running back, and you can compare your notes.

I remember there was a horse up at Saratoga that debuted last summer. His name is Amjaad. For his debut, he looked to me to be a little short on fitness, like he was carrying a bit too much weight. Turned out he wasn't quite ready for his debut, but he certainly did get tighter.

Anyway, you know how this game goes. That horse you've been following and losing with for the past so many races will win the very day you say "not today, that horse won't burn me again."

If I had to rate which was more important to me in terms of a horse's appearance, I'd be more turned off by a horse who was not carrying good flesh/coat as opposed to a horse that appears nervous. Some of these horses just get really keyed up, but if they were healthy and sharp looking in every other aspect, maybe consider if the value is there for you. And in my book, everyone's idea of value is different.

By the way, this works in reverse too. Some horses just seem a little too relaxed in the paddock and post parade. Don't let that fool you either. Some horses just have that general disposition too. Trust me, for every horse out there, there is a completely different personality behind him or her.

And then there are some horses that just stand out like diamonds in the post parade. Just recently, Le Grande Danseur returned at Aqueduct and looked amazing. He was so animated while warming up, a true eye-catcher. He went on to win, and he trotted back with the same enthusiasm and animation. I will be watching him next time he goes to the post to see if he's still as sharp.

smf
04-23-2001, 09:39 PM
Observer,

Thanks for the insights/ tips.

You're correct about the changing mindsets and appearances of these runners. When 'Olivia Leigh' (claimed 2 weeks ago) runs back, I want to see that mare in person. She looked (and ran) lousy last out. At even money she was a "pass" at a 5k tag. If she looks improved, then at a higher tag she could be a price, who knows.

Thanks again.

Observer
04-24-2001, 12:08 PM
No problem. Anytime! :)

Keep me posted on Olivia Leigh. I'm curious to hear what happens.

smf
04-26-2001, 11:39 PM
Observer,

You mentioned you wanted an update on OLIVIA LEIGH. She ran in tonite's 6th and won.

She didn't move up in claiming price but the field was similar. The thing that turned me off most about O-L last out was that her tail was flat on her butt. Also, that 'map of TEXAS' on her butt was missing as well.

Tonite, her tail was well set off her butt. Since there were no wins in sight on her pp, she was going to an avg trainer, and there was a layoff runner that was bet hard, I bet to place.

And she won!...., still w/o a map of TEXAS anywhere on her.

Thanx again.