PDA

View Full Version : Horse of the Year

OTM Al
08-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Been thinking how this might boil down as part of looking forward to the BC. Its probably still a little early to bring up, but why not. Need a little fun with the Smarty retirement taking some of the wind out of it for me. Besides, we can look back in a few months and see just how wrong we were....Since juveniles really are meaningless at this time, will skip them

3yo Male....Smarty, that's a slam dunk
3yo Female...Ashado. I liked Madcap Escapade better, but she's out so that's that.

Turf Male....This is tough...whoever finishes best in the BC????
Turf Female...Musical Chimes

Sprinter....Pico Central

Older Female....Dare I say it, one more time for Azeri? One last head-to-head with the only real competition, Sightseek and then the BC. She takes them, it is hers.

Older Male....Going out on a limb here, but I'm not going to pick Pleasently Perfect. I got a feeling that the next couple months are going to be owned, make that ruled, by Peace Rules. This was Medaglia D'Oro's to win, but gee, they sent him to Dubai and retired him too. At least I got to see him live in the butt whuppin' he gave the competition at GP.

PaceAdvantage
08-03-2004, 05:05 PM
This is a real REAL longshot, but if Birdstone wins the Whitney or the Travers, and then wins the BC Classic, is Smarty still 3yo of the year?

kenwoodallpromos
08-03-2004, 05:28 PM
No Soutern Image?
If SM is retired prior to the Eclipse awards, will that have an effect?
What % of the general public who saw the 2003 KY Derby on TV remember who won?
Who is trainer of the year?
How about a new category for claiming trainer of the year?

OTM Al
08-03-2004, 09:29 PM
PA--

If Birdstone can do that, then he has to be considered for sure, but I really, really don't see it. He's a solid little fellow who I'd actually think, if he's got the foot build for it, might be better on the turf because of the distances. On the dirt , there's still much better out there.

ken---
No Southern Image because of the quarter crack problems. Last I heard he looked doubtful for the Pacific. I'm not sure we'll see him again. I may be dense here, but not sure who SM is. I'll leave the other catagories open for others to call, but I would put a nod in for Assmussen for trainer as he looks solid to break the wins record this year.

kenwoodallpromos
08-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Not SM; Smarty Jones retiring prior to awards.

CryingForTheHorses
08-04-2004, 08:32 AM
You can scream and laugh but Im sure Smarty will be 3yo m of the year.Winning the Derby gives him MEGA status.This guy excited the WHOLE world NOT just the USA.The other horses are going to have GOLDEN shoes to beat him.There ISNT another 3yo that won like SMARTY did.I just dont see a real CONTENDER to LOCK it up besides SMARTY