PDA

View Full Version : USA Basketball

cj
08-03-2004, 04:24 PM
This team is horrible. I could shoot a jumper better than every guy on that team. No way this group wins gold this year.

sq764
08-04-2004, 09:23 AM
It was embarrassing to see Italy lay the smack down on the 'greatest basketball country in the world', or so we'd like to believe..

Man could they pop the 3 pointer..

cj
08-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I think we are still the best country in the world in basketball, but only if our best players play. It wasn't long ago our best amateurs could beat these guys. Now, we need the cream of the crop.

SAL
08-04-2004, 10:41 AM
I would rather see our top college players on the team, rather than some of these overpaid, spoiled NBA players.

That being said, I think that it was a good wakeup call for them. They'll probably get their act together now and go on to win the gold.

sq764
08-04-2004, 11:03 AM
It does make me tear up with pride to see Allen Iverson, tatoos, criminal record and all, wearing those stars and stripes..

cj
08-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Damn, did anyone get a load of that celebration after beating non-Olympic qualifier Germany?

If we should happen to win the bronze medal game, I guess the nets are coming down!

kenwoodallpromos
08-06-2004, 02:48 PM
How's Yo and the Chinese team doing?

Hosshead
08-06-2004, 03:05 PM
You mean the team coached by Del Harris, the famous Chinese coach ?

kenwoodallpromos
08-07-2004, 02:40 PM
I heard the guy in the Yogi ad was playing for China; Yo, Yow, Ya'll?

dav4463
08-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Tim Duncan is the only player on the team playing decent ball. Everybody else looks lost. They go one on one way too much, can't shoot, they just look tight for some reason. Oh, and I like the way Bill Walton tries to justify the ineptness by commenting on the differences in officiating. Yeah, they don't let them travel, they call fouls, WHAT A CONCEPT !!! Maybe team basketball can beat streetball after all, what do you think ? I actually enjoyed watching the way Italy took it to the USA, they played a great game and deserved to win.

Suff
08-08-2004, 02:43 AM
they should be winning preps by 20.... and germany gave them a serious game..

whats up? CJ Your right.

cj
08-15-2004, 03:03 PM
This is had to say, but after watching the blowout loss to Puerto Rico, this team is worse than I originally thought.

3 for 25 from three point land? Are you kidding me? These were for the most part UNCONTESTED shots. I'd like to think they'll get it together in time for a medal run, but they just look bloody awful right now.

CryingForTheHorses
08-15-2004, 05:13 PM
I HATE BasketBall! LOVE Hockey.
Dont know if the Canadian NOT Canadienne in me.I feel Basketball is useless!! Bunch of guys too tall for their age running around sweating and stinking up the place...At least in a hockey game the guys are normal and wear hockey gear..Hate to hear the squeaking of the sneakers the size of pontoons on the gym floors that they play on.Nothing like the sound of a slidestop on a pair of ice skates..Just so you know..SHAQ in Florida doesnt mean anything to me..They need to bring Pat Quinn here.

Diehard Leaf Fan

cj
08-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Hockey?

I can hear the coach pleading with his star player..."Can you give me a minute and a half this time? We need you!"

sq764
08-15-2004, 05:45 PM
yeah, those 0-0 ties are SWEET!

Nothing like watching figure skating for 60 minutes and watch it end in a tie..

CryingForTheHorses
08-15-2004, 07:09 PM
LMAO@figureskating!

SQ,Can you figureskate? Like these guys.Hockey to me is the greatest, Its really the only sport besides horseracing that I Love.

dav4463
08-15-2004, 08:32 PM
I love basketball. I like hockey. I have to admit that in basketball it seems to me that the best team usually wins and overall they have more graceful and better athletes than hockey. Also, there is a lot more luck in hockey as evidenced by how often the lower seeded teams win in the playoffs. An upset in basketball is a real upset....in hockey it seems to happen all the time. When two teams battle for three periods and then a puck bounces crooked off a skate and goes in....in my opinion, the best team did not win....they got lucky !!! In basketball, football, and baseball you have to kick the other team's butt all the way through the game to win. Luck only plays a factor in a real close game where either team deserves to win.

nomadpat
08-15-2004, 11:05 PM
I have to admit watching the international version of basketball is more pleasant to the eye than the NBA. You can actually watch defense and teamwork instead of dumping into the post and watch Shaq dunk or one-on-one. It is nice to see other countries have improved their play in recent years. We'll see if Larry Brown can rally the troops!

Shacopate
08-16-2004, 05:01 AM
This is not a TEAM. Just a bunch of individuals trying to outdo each other. No heart, no pride.

Where is Micheal Redd? Not even on the team!

This guy can stroke it anywhere within halfcourt.

Where is Tayshaun Prince? Not even on the team!

This guy can guard anybody. Just ask Kobe, Miller, or TMAC.

We should have sent the Pistons.

shanta
08-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Shacopate
This is not a TEAM. Just a bunch of individuals trying to outdo each other. No heart, no pride.

Where is Tayshaun Prince? Not even on the team!

This guy can guard anybody. Just ask Kobe, Miller, or TMAC.

We should have sent the Pistons.

I agree 100% Shaco. That is NO TEAM out there. Puerto Rico scores almost 100 points. Are you serious? they would be lucky to score 60 against Detroit.

How bout taking the 5 best players in the league( non piston) and have them play Detroit. Who wins?

JustRalph
08-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Shacopate

Michael Redd is here in Columbus doing sports reports for our local media giant. He went to the same High School I did. He is much younger. I never knew the guy. He is very popular in this area. In fact he reported on the loss last night. He was asked by another reporter "why aren't you over there saving those guys" and he shook his head and kind of laughed. You could tell he wanted to unload about it, but held his tongue.

delayjf
08-16-2004, 11:34 AM
I saw on some TV show where the basketball team is or was staying on a lux cruise ship off the coast of Greece to the tune of 27,000 dollars a week, all comped.

I doubt they even care as long as America keeps kissing their asses once they get home. I can't believe I'm saying this but I find myself rooting against them.

kenwoodallpromos
08-16-2004, 01:59 PM
MC has a point.
I lost interest in bball when the patying, drugs, and dresses got more important than passing.
But I think hockey players spend more money on dentistry and replacing torn and stretched jerseys than bballers do on tattoos.

Storm Cadet
08-16-2004, 09:35 PM
USA Basketball made a huge mistake years ago when they decided to bring an all NBA team to Barcelona.

The pressure was on the USA after John Thompson screwed up the gold medal in Korea in '88. These pros since that origional Dream Team don't care one bit about national pride. They don't live with the athletes in the village, dont eat with them, they bring all their own personal trainers and entourages along, they are not nice to the regular USA athletes. Believe me:

I was there in '92 at Barcelona as the asst trainer with the Dream Team. I lived in the village and ate with the regular athletes. You can't believe how spoiled these hoops guys are. The group in'92 was great...they had to be away from the crowds with Jordan, Ewing, etc. But this group of pathetic players aren't as good in their sport as some other are in theirs. Mia Hamm is as big a world star as any, as is the Williams tennis player.

They are worried about terorists? We should be so lucky as getting these gangsters out of the NBA.

JustRalph
08-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Storm Cadet
You can't believe how spoiled these hoops guys are.

you should hang out with some PGA pro's sometime. Man....What a life! Spoiled Kids! Treated Like Royalty everywhere they go

kenwoodallpromos
08-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Interesting interview last nite on TV with a Bruins enforcer.

cj
08-21-2004, 05:16 PM
It was nice to see a Maryland Terp alum light up the "Dream Team" like a Christmas tree. Brought back some good memories. I've found an easier way to make money at Pinnacle, just bet against the US in bball!

Bubbles
08-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Why are news services dubbing the U.S. basketball team of this year "the Dream Team?" Sorry, but at last check, 2-2 against teams like Puerto Rico and Greece isn't exactly dreamy.

freeneasy
08-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by delayjf
I saw on some TV show where the basketball team is or was staying on a lux cruise ship off the coast of Greece to the tune of 27,000 dollars a week, all comped.

I doubt they even care as long as America keeps kissing their asses once they get home. I can't believe I'm saying this but I find myself rooting against them.

i hope they get their spoiled asses kicked rotten. tim duncan, i like tim duncan. and the whole thing to me is, is the togetherness of teamwork with which this team has played with, is nothing but a big fku slap in the face to larry brown, who happens to be one of the classiest guys in basketball. what a bunch of punks these players are chump'n larry brown off the way this team has. i make these richbitch-badboy overpaid asswipes 10-1 they havent paid attention to a single word that larry brown has been trying to a singleword that larry brown has been trying to coach into them. and thats why the teams that these guys play for are losers. and on your way home fellas, have a little cheese and embarassment with your whin-ing, losers. as far as iam concerned there isnt an apology that these guys can possibly offer for the embarassment theyve been to coach larry brown, their team, their home, their fans, these games and to themselfs. you can all go on back home now losers, your mama's been call'n ya

Tom
08-21-2004, 10:08 PM
I was watching the little girl bust her guts and perform her heart out the other night to become only the second American to win the overall floor gold and I was wondering if those big brave BB guys who didn't want to come over becsasue of terror threats were watching. If so, the might have something they have never seen before....a set of balls.
If there was ever a sport I have absolutley no use for it is basketball. And I have less use for basketball players.
:mad:

dav4463
08-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Tim Duncan is the only guy out there trying to play team ball. He is working hard on defense, grabbing rebounds, and taking much better shots than his team. It would be interesting if Argentina plays the USA. I want to see if Tim Duncan looks longingly at Manu Ginobli thinking " I wish I was playing with him instead !"

Shacopate
08-22-2004, 03:14 AM
It looks like the real "Dream Team" is the womens softball squad.

70+ straight wins. 7-0 in the Olympics with a combined score of 41-0. Now that's defense. They face Australia on the 22nd and hopefully go for the gold on the 23rd.

Also the star pitcher of the team, Jennie Finch, recently turned down Playboy for a shoot saying, "that's not what I'm about."

Class, pride and competitiveness. The basketball team could learn alot from these girls.

sq764
08-22-2004, 11:03 AM
What's sad is that internation rules actually expose the USA players and shows how many poor shooters are in the NBA.. It's a disgrace that simple jump shots are such a challenge for NBA players..

Secretariat
08-22-2004, 09:58 PM
US loses to Lithuiania!!!! 94-90

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/basketball/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcTEybmJhBF9TAzk2NjcyOTgwBHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-lithuania-usbko&prov=ap&type=lgns

I can't believe this...Lithuania?

Tom
08-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Dream Team turns out to be nighmare.
Yikes! I didn't think Lithuania had 7 people!:eek:
Are these guys actually paid to play this game?!?!?