PDA

View Full Version : Rage against the machine Part II

highnote
02-19-2002, 11:17 AM
This post is in response to the "Rage against the machine" post.

Several clients have asked me to write code for them to read the toteboards. I have provided that service for some of them. And would be willing to supply it to others as well. I also sell ready to run software on my website that automates the Dr. Z system using internet toteboards. My software has been available for a couple years so I suppose some of my clients could be placing large wagers using it. However, I still find plenty of Dr. Z bets - place/show/exacta and quinella. I wish we could get trifecta feeds. I'm working on it.

As far as rebates, I suggest using Barry Meadows site at betehorse.com. If all players switch to offshore betting sites the industry will have to deal with it. The bettors have a lot of power... if they want to use it.

I've had pretty good luck betting over the internet. I have an account with BRISBET. I've been able to bet at nearly the last second. I have an account with Connecticut OTB and am able to bet at the last second with a voice operator.

If you want to get an edge I recommend using a little game theory. You've got to bet early so you can knock the other computer guys out of the pool. They will bet when they see an edge -- so by betting early you can take the edge away. True, you've got to be a big bettor, but it's possible.

By the way, if a big bettor gets a 5% or 10% rebate then on a typical $2.40 show payoff that player would get a $2.50 or $2.60 payoff instead. That's a big difference.

Look, the big bettors have always had an edge. In the days before computers they bought Ragozin sheets. How many $2 bettors would spend $25 or $30 per day for a set of sheets. Now, the big boys are spending big bucks to develop software to make big bets at remote locations. How many $2 bettors would do that. The $2 bettor has to think differently. For instance, you can buy Equiform sheets for selected tracks for $10 per day. They're an excellent product. I know a couple big bettors (who aren't computerized bettors) who use them regularly. Equiform's edge hasn't disappeared, yet. When/if it does then go and find something new.

A good friend of mine is an expert paddock handicapper. I went with him to the racetrack every Saturday for a year. He consistently made money by following the "Saturday" horses from week to week. He gets to know them by sight. He sees when they are progressing and declining. He made a lot of money. He was also a big bettor and bet with conviction. I once saw him bet a $100 exacta - straight. (I would've boxed it). His horses ran 1-2, but in the wrong order. He only lost by a nose. It didn't faze him. If he didn't feel he was absolutely correct then he didn't bet. He didn't make recreational bets. He didn't care about computer bettors or sheet players. In fact, he relished their play. When they were wrong he cleaned up. His strategy was to plot and plan. Then strike when the iron was hot. Remember, this is a pari-mutuel game. If you're trying to bet like the players who bet the most money are bet then you're probably going to lose. You've got to do what others aren't doing.

Believe me, the computer guys don't always get it right. And when they're wrong you can clean up. Just be patient. They don't play every track. They probably don't play harness or dogs or small pools. You can make good money using the Dr. Z system on small pools -- Delta Downs, Los Alamitos, Mountaineer, etc.

As an aside -- the Hong Kong betting syndicate made $50,000,000 in their best year. Their system is outlined in Dr. Z's book "Efficiency of Racetrack Betting Markets". That book is the bible for anyone who wants to devise a computer horseracing model. You'll need math skills to devise a system using the methods described in the book. If you're the type of person who has devoted a large portion of your life to developing the necessary math skills then you deserve to reap the rewards.

I don't want to use this site as an advertising vehicle, but if you want more info about software for toteboard access, horse race modeling, etc., you can visit my site http://www.hypernormal.com.

Good luck and good betting.
John

GR1@HTR
02-19-2002, 11:37 AM
John, intereted tool for sure. Didn't you also have another web site last year or am I thinking of something else.

highnote
02-19-2002, 03:10 PM
No. This is my only site.