PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Monday, May 29

Teach
05-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Good morning on this Memorial Day, 2017. I would like to begin by thanking the men and women in uniform for their service. I would also like to thank those who served our country in past wars. We must not forget those who gave their lives so this country can remain free.

Well, it’s the last day of a five-day stretch. As I look back, I’m 12 wins out of 37 races during those four days; that’s about a 33% win percentage.

Let’s look back at yesterday’s card.

Race One: “Double-A,” Angel Arroyo, continues on a roll as he won the opener (two wins on the day) aboard :3: Set The Trappe. I thought the :2: could do it, but he finished third. If you boxed my first three selections in an exacta, it paid $17.60 for $2. A $12 investment would have netted you: $5.60. The :3:-:1:-:2: Tri paid $30.60.

Race Two: I picked the winner: :1: Sophia's Choice. She paid $4.30. :7: was one of my other three selections. A $2 exacta paid: $21.40. The tri paid: $92.50. The :2: was another one of my alternate choices.

Race Three:
I picked the winner: :9: Bustin It. He paid $3.10. Although I didn't pick the place horse, the :3:; I did mention him as looking good on the track. The :6:, Sol The Freud, was one of my "others". He paid $8.80 on the end; he also completed a $141 tri.

Race Four:
My top pick, the :5:, Consumerconfidence, finished second. Yet, if you boxed my choices, you would have hit the exacta, tri, and super. The exacta paid: $21.60; the tri: $163; and the dime-super: $22.40.

Race Five:
My top pick was :6: Duquesne Whistle; he finished third. The winner, :4:, Cause For Surprise, was one of my others. If you had boxed my four horses in a tri, it paid: $53.

Race Six: I picked :6:, Whiskey Seven; he finished off the board. However, if you had boxed my four horses in that race, you would have hit the exacta for: $20.

Race Seven: My second choice, :6:, Closing Bell, won it.

Race Eight: My top pick, the :6:, was scratched. My next three selections all hit the board. If you had boxed them, the exacta paid: $22.80; the tri paid: $41.80.

Race Nine: My choice: :6:, Astounding, won. I had the :6:-:8: exacta, cold. It paid. $24.80. I also picked the late .50 Pick-4. It paid $129 (see yesterday's postings for the exact 4-race ticket).

I'll be back later with my selections for today's Belmont card.

Teach
05-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Race One:

:14: SARATOGA CHARLIE is an MTO who draws in as the race has been taken off the turf. This Mineshaft-brewed colt has a degree of wet-track pedigree (he finished second in his only wet-track try). The colt picks up the services of Irad Ortiz, Jr. Nuff Ced. This chestnut colt fits comfortably in this company. If the outside part of the track is what I think it is...he should benefit. Leah Gyarmati trains. She does well with horses making their first start with a trainer. Others: :5:, :11:, :1:

Race Two:

In this lawn sprint, I'm going with :8: LADY JOAN. She was overmatched in the PG Johnson Stakes at "The Spa". Prior to that she broke her maiden at 5 and 1/2 panels. This daughter of Courageous Cat has a first and a second in four tries on the grass. Luis Saez is a top-flight jock who garnered his share of wins on the turf. Phil Serpe trains. Others: :2:, :4:, :3:

Race Three:

:7: GREAT EXPECTATIONS ships in from Santa Anita where chestnut colt has been "knocking on the door." A solid, recent West Coast morning work was a determining factor in my selection. So too are the services of Joel Rosario. Peter Eurton trains. He does well when taking the blinkers off. This Giant's Causeway-bred should benefit from a wet track. Others: :1:, :5:, :6:

Race Four:

On the turf in the eight-panels Mt. Vernon. :5: FOURSTAR CROOK catches my eye. 6-straight wins. Add to the mix the riding services of one of the best in the country, Javier Castellano, and the training skills of an outstanding trainer, Chad Brown. Well, you have a very solid combination. Just a note of caution: this Freud-bred bay mare has been away from the races for several months. That being said...six wins and a second in nine tries on the lawn... Others: :7:, :1:, :2:

Race Five:

:9: QUESTIG is my pick in this route that's been taken off the turf. I like this filly's wet-track pedigree. I also believe she can "get the distance". Add to the equation the riding skills of Javier Castellano and conditioning ability of Robert Ribaudo. I believe this filly can adapt to the main. Others: :11:, :1:, :3:

Race Six:

:11: Kathryn the Wise is my selection the 200k Critical Eye route. The outside may well be the place to be. This well-bred filly has won both her pari-mutuel starts. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons for trainer Chad Brown. A solid wet-track pedigree and an array of very good morning works bolsters confidence. Others: :1:, :4:, :3:

Race Seven:

:6: Syndergaard is my pick in the Mike Lee at seven panels. Solid wet-track pedigree. This colt has been overmatched in recent races. Johnny V., The Hall of Famer, for the top-notch trainer and Kentucky Derby winning conditioner, Todd Pletcher. Solid recent morning works bolster confidence. Others: :1:, :10:, :8:

Race Eight:

In the 200k Commentator, I like :6: Royal Posse. Javier in the irons for Rudy Rodriguez. This gelding has been first four times and second four times in eight wet-track tries. This 6 year-old should have no trouble covering eight panels. Others: :10:, :5:, :9:

Race Nine:

Back on the yielding lawn in the one-mile Kingston on The Widener. My pick: :1: Macagone. This Artie Schiller (a "shout out" to Richard Migliore) should benefit from his inside starting post. The 6 year-old should also benefit from the chauffeuring services of "The king of Philadelphia," Kendrick Carmouche. This bay gelding won his last at a mile on a yielding "Big A" turf course. "The hall of Famer," Bill Mott, trains. Others: :2:, :8:, :4:

Race Ten:

In the finale, the 7-panels Bouwerie, I like :7:, North End. This bay filly was overmatched in the Grade II Gazelle. She's now in with the caliber of distaffer she can compete with. Again, it's the dynamic duo of The Preakness Stakes, Javier Castellano and Chad Brown. Add to the equation a solid wet-track pedigree. Others: :8:, :3:, :1: