PDA

View Full Version : what is your fav handicapping angle

n.c
05-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Mine- go with two horses (key), that has run over the track and same distance( or close to it), then start to put them at the top 2 spots and take 4 other horses..horse must have run over the track last 30 days.

1-2/1-2-3-4-5-6( exacta)
1-2/1-2-3-4-5-6/1-2-3-4-5-6 tri(.50 cent)
1-2/1-2-3-4-5-6/1-2-7-8-9/1-2-3-4-5-6(.10 super)
1-2/1-2-7-8-9/1-2-3-4-5-6/all(.10 cent super)

then bring down the 1-2
3-4-5-6/1-2 exacta
3-4-5-6/1-2/3-4-5-6 tri
3-4-5-6/1-2/7-8-9/all .10 super
7-8-9 have no shot to win and they will not beat both 1-2

1-2 at the top, i use them in the next 3 spots, thinking that race is going the way i handicapped, since 1 or 2 won the race

if 1-2 comes in second, i usually do not put 1-2 at the 3rd spot, since chances of my horse coming in 2 and 3rd is low and race is not going the way i am thinking

today Belmont race 6 msw..Number 10 and 8

if both horses miss the top 2 spots, you get wiped out

biggestal99
05-21-2017, 08:07 PM
3 out of the money finishes, class drop, track switch, 6-1 or better.

Works miracles.

Allan

n.c
05-21-2017, 08:19 PM
if horse has early speed

last week, msw to mcl , churchill downs

Eddie Kenneally and Donnie Von Hemel both had early speed fade msw droppers

while both around ml 5-1

Kenneally horse went out at 7/2 while Von Hemel goes out at 11-1

Kenneally horse won and VonHemel came 2nd...Was able to zero in on the Keneally horse at the top due to the shift in line.

FakeNameChanged
05-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Here's a retired friend's only angle at my OTB:

Horse was ITM 3rd race back, last two races out of the money. Odds 9-1 minimum, preferably last race finished within 8 beaten lengths, preferably both last two races. He wants last race to have been in a month more or less.
He sits likes a sphinx until he gets his odds. Seen him cash prices in the 60-100+ range. Will play wps if odds warrant it. He's a patient guy and has all his possible plays written in a notebook along with his Daily program.
He also uses this play for simulcast at Chile.

n.c
05-21-2017, 08:43 PM
could work, towards the end of the meet.. last 2-3 days of the meet..most of the good trainers dumping horses and majority of the horses tired...so you have a horse that looks bad on the form, but is not a tired horse.

n.c
05-21-2017, 08:48 PM
last day of the meet, top 4 horses all bombs, paid .20cent superfecta 76,000 dollars last year.

NorCalGreg
05-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Horse was ITM 3rd race back, last two races out of the money. Odds 9-1 minimum, preferably last race finished within 8 beaten lengths, preferably both last two races. He wants last race to have been in a month more or less.
He sits likes a sphinx until he gets his odds. Seen him cash prices in the 60-100+ range. Will play wps if odds warrant it. He's a patient guy and has all his possible plays written in a notebook along with his Daily program.

Trace:

I like your friend's angle (naturally, being a horseplayer I'd need to "fix" it before playing it :D)

I'd guess any success he has ---has as much to do with his money discipline and record-keeping--as the angle.

FakeNameChanged
05-21-2017, 09:56 PM
3 out of the money finishes, class drop, track switch, 6-1 or better.

Works miracles.

Allan
Along that same line, for a horse coming back off a long layoff, I had an angle called the Big three to be a possible play in order of preference: Class Drop, Distance change(1 f. min.), and Jockey change with min. 4-1 odds. If not a win bet, I usually included in exactas with my top play. A 4th angle on layoffs along with the Big Three was a Track change, but it didn't have as high a correlation as the other three. If none of them existed, it was a red flag to me. Preferred to have at least two of three, but all three or even four catches my interest.

jimmyb
05-21-2017, 10:06 PM
Got this one from Andy Beyers Picking Winners:

Change of pace, especially with maidens.

Race 1 Showed early speed and quit.
Race 2 closed.

This can be reversed.

I've made some nice scores with this.

thaskalos
05-22-2017, 08:03 AM

Any idea how much he wagers on his picks?

castaway01
05-22-2017, 09:49 AM

Enough that he was able to retire.

thaskalos
05-22-2017, 09:53 AM
Enough that he was able to retire.

The $2-bettors DON'T retire?

CincyHorseplayer
05-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Favorite angle. I have 2 horses in a race of which I think are roughly equals in ability, everybody else looks mediocre at best. One horse is 9/5, the other one is 5-1. I bet the 5-1 and double key both in exotics. That's it.

FakeNameChanged
05-22-2017, 04:35 PM

From what I've seen it's usually in the $5-10 range with an occasional $20 bet. Retired, disabled at 66 with a bad leg and now back living off his pension, IRA and SS. The OTB gets him out of the house, where he can nurse one or two beers and smoke while watching a few races. He tells me some days he doesn't bet, and passes at 8-1. In spite of his one way of playing, he's pretty knowledgeable about handicapping. Many of the guys at the OTB don't have PP's or programs, they just play $.10 supers all day looking at ML's. One guy told me, it beats sitting at home alone all day(widower).

PhantomOnTour
05-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Horse showed speed in a sprint and now drops in class and stretches out to a route.

n.c
05-22-2017, 06:14 PM
if a MAY foal throws out a super first race, and is one of the fav next time out, i stay away from it. Jan/Feb foals at long odds good key horses on MSW races..

n.c
05-22-2017, 06:43 PM
is more enjoyable than betting $100. So less pressure, and you can enjoy the race..Handicapping mind changes when dollar amount goes up:D you will start to think 100 different scenarios as the betting amount goes up.

Augenj
05-22-2017, 07:37 PM
Bet a grey/roan horse to win in a turf race if he/she is the only grey/roan. I'm going to run the numbers on this someday. :)

Robert Fischer
05-22-2017, 08:39 PM
i don't do angles, but I'll play along for fun

Claimed last time, by high% trainer(>20%)
UP in class today
between 2-1 and 5-1 today
BET

Claimed 2back, by low% trainer (<10%)
Up in class Last Time
Dropping Back down to original class(or thereabouts) Today
between 2-1 and 5-1 today
TOSS

n.c
05-22-2017, 11:03 PM
from post 1 and it tanks , then it gets the post relief at much better odds next time out..young horses shy away from the rail

Robert Fischer
05-23-2017, 04:27 PM

Race 2 closed.

This can be reversed.

I've made some nice scores with this.:4: in race 6 indiana coming up , interesting long shot

FakeNameChanged
05-24-2017, 11:03 AM

Two potential plays in 3rd race at TDN-1M-5000N3L.
#5-Bold Mark 8-1ML, back in 8 days, won 3rd race back in Nov. High pct. Jock and Trainer, so I doubt we get 9-1, 2/14 lifetime.

#7-Canoe Club- 15-1 ML back in 11 days, 3rd in April, 10% jock and trainer is 0/5, but I don't know all the tdn trainers. Looks to be more of a sprinter, but back class much higher than this race. 2/29 lifetime.

Both out of the money last two races. Hopefully I'll see my buddy at OTB and ask his opinion.

FakeNameChanged
05-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Two potential plays in 3rd race at FL. 1M-5000N3L.
#5-Bold Mark 8-1ML, back in 8 days, won 3rd race back in Nov. High pct. Jock and Trainer, so I doubt we get 9-1, 2/14 lifetime.

#7-Canoe Club- 15-1 ML back in 11 days, 3rd in April, 10% jock and trainer is 0/5, but I don't know all the fl trainers. Looks to be more of a sprinter, but back class much higher than this race. 2/29 lifetime.

Both out of the money last two races. Hopefully I'll see my buddy at OTB and ask his opinion.

Correction the above is 3rd race at Finger Lakes.

whodoyoulike
05-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Bet a grey/roan horse to win in a turf race if he/she is the only grey/roan. I'm going to run the numbers on this someday. :)

Today would be a good day.

I've heard of this angle for over 20 + years. And for some reason it seems to work but I've noticed especially for classy race horses. And, it didn't seem to matter whether on turf or dirt.

Augenj
05-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Today would be a good day.

I've heard of this angle for over 20 + years. And for some reason it seems to work but I've noticed especially for classy race horses. And, it didn't seem to matter whether on turf or dirt.
I never heard of it before but noticed it on my own. Like I said earlier, the numbers are going to prove it right or wrong.

jk3521
05-24-2017, 05:14 PM

I used to know an old guy who played only grey/roan horses. He joked that the other horses thought that they were ghosts and let them pass !:D

Augenj
05-24-2017, 06:23 PM
I used to know an old guy who played only grey/roan horses. He joked that the other horses thought that they were ghosts and let them pass !:D
I don't think they had a choice if it was Tapit or his progeny. :D

Tom
05-24-2017, 10:25 PM
1. Third off a layoff, back figs can win this race.
Showed some improvement in the second race, or jockey change to a better rider, or class drop.

2. 3yo who just made a big move ahead to pair it up or mobe a little more ahead., or 3yo who just equalled or passed his 2yo top fig

3. Cut back in distance, especially if old sprint figs are good enough to win today.

4. Comes out of a very fast paced race.

Racey
05-25-2017, 01:06 AM
analyze race flow horse up close to a C ranked race in the DRF

FakeNameChanged
05-25-2017, 05:07 PM

Calling this one, Bob's Angle. Played one today in GP's 5th race, see Nitro's thread on selections. #5 Banco Dinero, 12-1 ML Won Big by 5L's, paid $20.80-9.40-5.20 horse was 3rd three races back at 16K, today's race at 10K, last two races his BL's were 6 & 2-1/4. Last race was 22 days ago, with a 3f blowout 5 days ago and 5f. work 12 days ago. My buddy wasn't there unfortunately.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138629 Post #2

CincyHorseplayer
05-25-2017, 07:55 PM
1. Third off a layoff, back figs can win this race.
Showed some improvement in the second race, or jockey change to a better rider, or class drop.

2. 3yo who just made a big move ahead to pair it up or mobe a little more ahead., or 3yo who just equalled or passed his 2yo top fig

3. Cut back in distance, especially if old sprint figs are good enough to win today.

4. Comes out of a very fast paced race.

Definitely some of my faves and have proven the test of time.

ReplayRandall
05-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Here's my first post on PA:

The Play-----> Horse must have been claimed in last race no lower than $5K followed by an immediate lay-off of no more than 100 days (give or take), coming back to race with a class hike. Odds must be 9/2 or higher. No other conditions required concerning distance, track, trainer or surface needed.........Claim+Lay-off+Hike------->$$

n.c
05-25-2017, 08:05 PM
1st race from the rail, finished 2nd to Pletcher horse

Today it moves to pp2, and wins easy..but was heavy fav. It would have won from post 1..Asmussen 2 year old. Competition was weak.

n.c
05-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Horse going to to Turf for the first time, off turf, runs on dirt and has ok numbers. IF dirt speed is ok, then the turf speed is going to be better, ie the trainer thinks this is a turf horse. IF the horse gets a 78 on dirt, it is possibly a 85 on turf, since dirt is not horse's strength.

Belmont- race 6 on Sunday
Trainer Danny Gargan-
Horse gets gelded, throws out a bullet on work outs
1st race back, on turf, but it goes off turf, and it throws a ok number

next race, goes out at 47-1, on turf, finishes 2nd to Chad Brown horse
Then on Sunday , it wins at 5-1

biggestal99
05-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Here is one for the late fall

1. 2 yo
2. 4th start
3. Ascending beyers.
4. $

Allan

NorCalGreg
05-26-2017, 06:58 AM
Here is one for the late fall

1. 2 yo
2. 4th start
3. Ascending beyers.
4. $

Allan

....without a win first-3?

reckless
05-26-2017, 07:28 AM
I heard this at a seminar at Parx a month or so back... the person who said it said it's a great play and has been for many, many years for him. He brought this up that day when he picked the horse that fit this angle on top, which it won at 7-2.

Here's the angle: horse finished second in his last race, beaten a length or less and must finish way, way ahead of the third horse, like 5-6 lengths and more. That's it. Simple, I know.

The seminar presenter said that these days with smaller fields this type of play doesn't usually pay the kind of mutuels that it once did. He said be prepared to play a short priced horse on average than what most of us would rather bet. But as I said, the horse he picked that day did win and pay 7-2 in a 6-horse field.

biggestal99
05-26-2017, 08:28 AM
....without a win first-3?

Never thought about adding that. I kinda assumed that the ascending beyers would take of that matter.

Allan

NorCalGreg
05-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Never thought about adding that. I kinda assumed that the ascending beyers would take of that matter.

Allan

Only reason I ask is...a method I have with ascending speed, pace figs, etc--a layoff or a win resets the sequence. The layoff is obvious, and the win a lot of times the horse "tops out" ---is the reason for the reset.

FakeNameChanged
05-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

Only reason I ask is...a method I have with ascending speed, pace figs, etc--a layoff or a win resets the sequence. The layoff is obvious, and the win a lot of times the horse "tops out" ---is the reason for the reset.

Hmmm, improving speed numbers, sounds vaguely familiar.

Secondbest
05-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Here's one. Ran closer to the pace than any of previous races with a faster 2nd call time. Even better if it's a 5 yr old gelding

jay68802
05-26-2017, 12:21 PM
One of my favorite angles is playing a horse with a closer running style that was much closer to the pace in its last race and now is running in a race that is at least 1f shorter in distance.

reckless
05-26-2017, 05:02 PM
I must not know the definition of an 'angle'.

A lot of the suggestions seem to me to be nothing but basic, albeit, good handicapping.

FakeNameChanged
05-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post

He sits likes a sphinx until he gets his odds. Seen him cash prices in the 60-100+ range. Will play wps if odds warrant it.

Two potential plays in 3rd race at TDN-1M-5000N3L.

#7-Canoe Club- 15-1 ML back in 11 days, 3rd in April, 10% jock and trainer is 0/5, but I don't know all the tdn trainers. Looks to be more of a sprinter, but back class much higher than this race. 2/29 lifetime.

#5-Bold Mark scratched. #7-Canoe Club at 36-1 qualified and dueled for the 1st half and faded.

Play at GP yesterday won at 20.60, see Nitro's thread. And two plays today both at less than 9-1, but second one won at 7.80, see GP selections thread.

So only four plays so far, pre-race on selections, 2 won, but only two qualified at 9-1. I ran into Bob today(his angle) and and picked his brain a few minutes before leaving, He said he prefers all three races to be fairly recent. He will also look at 2nd call or stretch for the 8 lengths rule if horse is shortening up from a route to a sprint. He said he recently bet $28 to place on a horse and regretted it when it won at big odds, not sure how he came up with that amount.

n.c
05-27-2017, 08:28 PM
off turf due to weather, comes back to turf today, for the first time, finished 2nd at 31-1, had ok dirt numbers, add few more pts if it was on Turf angle.
Casse fav wins the race. Exacta $134 with the fav on top.

Fightingirish51195
05-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Horses coming out of mile races (that love running a mile) going a mile and a quarter

appistappis
05-31-2017, 03:00 AM
on tracks that close for the winter......1st time 4 yr old.

dkithore
05-31-2017, 12:28 PM
The $2-bettors DON'T retire?
You are a good student of Psychology Thask.

n.c
05-31-2017, 07:47 PM
to keep an eye on the number of furlongs the horse worked out ..vs the number of days

on Sunday, Churchill, MCL 10k, last race of the day, long shot came in 2nd place...on cheap mcl, trainers shy away from working out the horse, thinking that the horse might break down during training...so if the horse actually works out,like 3 or 4 times over the last 3 weeks, it is actually a sound horse.
This was the only horse that worked out few times.

Amoss horse won the race, but it was a huge dropper from mcl 30k to 10k...

Immortal6
06-02-2017, 07:10 PM

Gonna try this angle on the :8: in the upcoming Race 9 at Belmont. Contessa/Castellano gives me hope in what looks like a wide open race. Will report back with results.

Immortal6
06-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Gonna try this angle on the :8: in the upcoming Race 9 at Belmont. Contessa/Castellano gives me hope in what looks like a wide open race. Will report back with results.

Ran 2nd for most of the race, was passed in the final 1/16th to finish 4th.

biggestal99
06-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Another one of fav angles

3 year old

1 start at 2.

Bet down in that start past 5-1 at a major track.

And ran out.

First start as a 3 year old should be well meant

Allan

FakeNameChanged
06-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Here's my first post on PA:

The Play-----> Horse must have been claimed in last race no lower than $5K followed by an immediate lay-off of no more than 100 days (give or take), coming back to race with a class hike. Odds must be 9/2 or higher. No other conditions required concerning distance, track, trainer or surface needed.........Claim+Lay-off+Hike------->$$
Today in 1st race at Parx. #1-Refuseing-laid off since April and claimed for 12500 in Tampa. Today's race for 20,000 at 6f. My handicapping pointed me to the #4-Bud Fox at 2.4-1.

They ran #1-$41.40-14.60-9.80
#4-placed 4.40
Exacta paid 176.20
I forgot to add, that Klesaris, put a 16% jockey on. Vargas kept him on the rail the whole trip, slow start, got steadied on the turn and surged in the stretch to win by 4-1/2l's.
Would be glad to buy RR a drink or two after that one.

dansan
06-06-2017, 07:34 PM
ponies moving up in class

oughtoh
06-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Entry and one horse scratches

ReplayRandall
06-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Today in 1st race at Parx. #1-Refuseing-laid off since April and claimed for 12500 in Tampa. Today's race for 20,000 at 6f. My handicapping pointed me to the #4-Bud Fox at 2.4-1.

They ran #1-$41.40-14.60-9.80
#4-placed 4.40
Exacta paid 176.20
I forgot to add, that Klesaris, put a 16% jockey on. Vargas kept him on the rail the whole trip, slow start, got steadied on the turn and surged in the stretch to win by 4-1/2l's.
Would be glad to buy RR a drink or two after that one.

Congrats on the nice hit Whosonfirst.....XX Dos Equis, no lime, if you please..:cool:

Fred Mertz
06-06-2017, 10:01 PM
That's my angle. I'm betting it blind at Churchill on Twilight Thursday.

I did glance at the entries and boxed the 5, 7 in the exacta in the same race. #7 is Uncle Mo daughter.

Crossing my fingers...

jimmyb
06-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Horse wins or places at a mile and a 16th, cuts back to 7 Furlongs next out.

Fightingirish51195
06-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Horses coming out of mile races (that love running a mile) going a mile and a quarter

A 27-1 shot wins at Belmont. Fits this angle. A shame I didn't use him

thespaah
06-15-2017, 10:48 PM
-Blinkers on/off first time
-Sprint to route going longer first time
-Turf pedigree. dirt to turf first time.
-Off track success pedigree. Off/wet track first time
-7f to one mile. Lone speed.
-second off claim, same or one level higher/lower/
-Second off layoff if first was off the board finish or in money but beaten more than 3 lengths....The idea behind that one is the first off the layoff was a 'tightener'...Must be same level or condition

Copyroomjim
06-16-2017, 10:37 AM
1. Were claimed last out,

2. Have been off since claim 30-90 days,

3. Have a work of any distance since claim, and

4. Raised to a higher level race than claimed.

n.c
06-16-2017, 10:26 PM
behind it??? mile to a mile and a 1/4??? why the pop??

do you play the horse again, if it comes back at 1 1 1/4???:popcorn:

delayjf
06-24-2017, 12:58 PM

Very similar to Taulbot's beaten A Angle.

agameofskill
06-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Two Bafferts in same race. One is 4/5, the other is 8/1 ... :D

horseplayer
07-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Race 2 closed.

This can be reversed.

I've made some nice scores with this.

Yrs ago bought a list of angles from a seller believe it was a guy named Kelso Sturgeon - had an angle similar - horse changes running style in last race from next to last race - can close in one race and then front run in another race and vice versa - but did not limit it to any race type category

dansan
07-06-2017, 08:16 PM
always take bigger odds

elhelmete
07-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Two Bafferts in same race. One is 4/5, the other is 8/1 ... :D

Yup!

One I like to use, but don't necessarily consider too scientific is this:

In a race with a decent sized field, I see one or two horses taking a lot of $$, depressing their ML odds noticeably.

In that field I take notice if one horse's odds did not rise proportionally, but stayed closer to the ML.

deelo
07-19-2017, 05:43 PM
1. Ran on Turf in past, competitive at some point during race.
2. Laid off 60+ days, the more the better
3. Returns from layoff to race on dirt and runs best early pace of career (or dramatically improves final)
4. Switches back to Turf in less than 30 days, shorter the better

Have hit a plethora of double-digit odds including several 50/1+

n.c
07-20-2017, 08:51 PM
does it kinda fit your horse????? race, 8..walsh trainer??

i like the 4 with 1, 2 but might put this Arcelor, number 6 into the mix.

speed on dirt, first race in 6 months, previously ran ok on turf, with wes ward, but walsh been hot this year, good work outs..

Afleet
07-20-2017, 08:57 PM
'You take a horse w/a big ass in a field like this'
-Let it Ride