PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Park race 4 May 21- No contest

Longshot6977
05-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Kudos to the MP officials for declaring a no contest/full refunds on all bets after 2 jocks (Gallardo Antonio and Trevor McCarthy)went down on the turf in front of the stands and the outriders came out to flag the horses to the outside in the stretch run. :ThmbUp:
Gallardo got up right away, but Trevor sat on the grass for a while being attended to. I hope both are ok.

I believe there was a recent similar scenario at another track where the race was declared official. :ThmbDown:

Update: Trevor was sent to Monmouth Medical Center to have his left shoulder checked out.

biggestal99
05-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Kudos to the MP officials for declaring a no contest/full refunds on all bets after 2 jocks (Gallardo Antonio and Trevor McCarthy)went down on the turf in front of the stands and the outriders came out to flag the horses to the outside in the stretch run. :ThmbUp:
Gallardo got up right away, but Trevor sat on the grass for a while being attended to. I hope both are ok.

I believe there was a recent similar scenario at another track where the race was declared official. :ThmbDown:

Easy call by the stewards.

This is jersey, no Callie.

Allan

maliksealy210
05-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Hope that everyone is ok, both equine and human athletes.

Centeno's trip on the :6: was interesting... came completely out of the irons, re-engaged, and then was still going to win - big time first time starter there.

SuperPickle
05-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Anyone got video? I checked both my ADWs and no replay.

forced89
05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm sure they did the right thing but it is tough on the Owners who will have to eat 3 or 4 weeks more day rate, etc until their horse gets to run again.

Brogan
05-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Anyone got video? I checked both my ADWs and no replay.
It is on the Monmouth Park site, but can't make the video full screen:

http://www.monmouthpark.com/index.aspx?id=10830

Good job by the outriders protecting the fallen riders and those attending them.

Brogan
05-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Go to YouTube directly instead:

https://youtu.be/uVovmGe7o_U

castaway01
05-22-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm sure they did the right thing but it is tough on the Owners who will have to eat 3 or 4 weeks more day rate, etc until their horse gets to run again.

True but you can't have horses run over fallen jockeys in the stretch. The only choice was to stop the race.

cj
05-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Of course it was the right call. I can't ever remember a race being declared official while there were still jockeys being attended to while laying in the stretch.

zawaaa
05-23-2017, 02:32 PM
should've been declared for purse money only, obviously.

cj
05-23-2017, 02:46 PM
should've been declared for purse money only, obviously.

You can't set that precedent. Do that and you have guys riding to win in spite of safety.

zawaaa
05-23-2017, 03:28 PM
You can't set that precedent. Do that and you have guys riding to win in spite of safety.

that sounds like some awfully cynical reasoning there, cj

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2017, 03:31 PM
There are injured jockeys on the track where the horses are going to have to go by to finish the race. Why in the world would you want the race to continue for purse money only? I can't believe we're having this discussion.

zawaaa
05-23-2017, 03:42 PM
There are injured jockeys on the track where the horses are going to have to go by to finish the race. Why in the world would you want the race to continue for purse money only? I can't believe we're having this discussion.

it really has nothing to do with racing. they can give equal purse money to the entire field for all i care.

the important thing is that the horses did try to run and even if it had to be declared a non-event it would still be a nice gesture by the track to give out the allotted purse money for the race.

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2017, 03:48 PM
it really has nothing to do with racing. they can give equal purse money to the entire field for all i care.

the important thing is that the horses did try to run and even if it had to be declared a non-event it would still be a nice gesture by the track to give out the allotted purse money for the race.That would be quite generous considering they took in no money from wagering.

onefast99
05-24-2017, 12:54 PM

the important thing is that the horses did try to run and even if it had to be declared a non-event it would still be a nice gesture by the track to give out the allotted purse money for the race.
...and based on the way things are going at MP no one is going to get any welfare checks!