PDA

View Full Version : SMARTY JONES RETIRED

WINMANWIN
08-02-2004, 01:27 PM
According to Espn news, Smarty has been retired.

http://espn.go.com/horse/news/2004/0802/1850769.html

ceejay
08-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Too bad....

:(

CryingForTheHorses
08-02-2004, 01:47 PM
WOW SMARTY we are going to MISS you
NOW backto my previous posts...I told you guys I did see him limping...He has has SEVERAL bruises cut out of his hoof.This isnt a good thing for him....ABSESSES and bruises are caused from POOR circulation to the hoof.He has had to many to just say its a bruise..CAN result in LAMINATIS ..KILLER of SEVERAL BIG horses including BIG RED. I sure hope they take care of this problem fast as if infection sets in..ITS all over for SMARTY.Told you guys before that the SERVIS team was TOO quiet on this horse.LAMINATIS is when the coffin bone in the hoof rotates and the wall seperates from the hoof..NOT a good thing.Hopefully he will have the BEST vets and they will cure him.
JOHN SERVIS you did a great job with SMARTY and WE applaud you for the memories

alysheba88
08-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Disgraceful. Has nothing to do with any fake injury and everything to do with "Chappie's" greed. The whole SJ "story" was a fraud in hindsight. Glad he did not win the TC

Bubbles
08-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Doubt anything was about greed. If you were on your virtual deathbed after smoking three packs a day, wouldn't YOU like to make the most of your life?

alysheba88
08-02-2004, 02:40 PM
If I cared so little about myself to put myself on that death bed not sure I would care about anything. But thats beside the point.

Guy was set for life before SJ, but still not enough for him. That "peoples horse" stuff was all crap. Deliberate lies. "Chappy" is a fraud and phony. No one I know is surprised by this. To me it was a given he would never run again after the Belmont. Was laughing when they were even saying he could run at 4. Never a chance. Go Birdstone!

Pace Cap'n
08-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by alysheba88
The whole SJ "story" was a fraud...

Forging those victories???

alysheba88
08-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Pace Cappn, no not the victories (although the amount of hype for a horse who won only two grade ones in his life is unprecedented). Talking about the "peoples horse" stuff and how "we want to share him with the public". Nonsense.

Whirlaway
08-02-2004, 03:15 PM
It's too bad, but let's remember that the horse wore front wraps in all his races and was never destined for a long career.

alysheba88
08-02-2004, 03:19 PM
It was the same deal with Empire Maker last year. They were looking to retire him all year. Just looking for any excuse.

At least I think EM will be good in the shed, would be shocked if Smarty was not a bust as a stallion.

sq764
08-02-2004, 03:29 PM
I am shocked at the reaction of a horse retiring for millions in the breeding shed.. Doesn't this happen every single year??

Are the owners of SJ at fault? Service? NO!! How about the breeders willing to pay $20-30 million for him! How about the owners willing to pay the outrageous breeding costs to breed to SJ??

Like they say, don't hate the player, hate the game..

sq764
08-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Service wrapped it up in a nutshell:

"I don't see anyway he can earn on the racetrack in a year what he can earn next spring in the breeding shed"

http://espn.go.com/horse/news/2004/0802/1850769.html

Valuist
08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Alysheba-

I agree 100% on those two as stallion prospects. If I had a mare and could breed it to either Empire Maker or Smarty Jones for the same price, I'd choose Empire Maker.

andicap
08-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm always amazed at people who think that others should run their affairs as altruistically as possible in ways they would never do in their own lives.
I suppose all the Chapman's critics are doing what they can to give back to society. Christ, most people can't even be bothered to recycle. So get off your high horse (no pun intended) about the Chapmans. They are doing the most sensible thing possible. Who's to say the horse will come back the same way after such a tough campaign?

There is more at stake here than just the Chapmans getting their money. There are breeders, breeding agents, a whole sub-structure of the industry that would lose millions if something happened to SJ. Swale dropped dead of a heart attack, cost loads of people a lot of money. You think they're going to jeopardize that?

Now, I'm not condoning it. I think the sport's structure needs changing so that the SJs can run at 4.
I agree it's terrible for the sport that Smarty won't run at 4, but did Secretariat? And I don't recall anyone calliing Penny (whatever her name is now) greedy.

Remember how everyone said how great it would be for Funny Cide to race at 4? Yeah he's been a real boon to racing this year.

Bottom line: That's just the way the business is run nowadays, like it or not.

There's no doubt the horse is hurt. How can he not have those brusies and aches after nine really vigorous races in eight months. Lets stop with the silly conspiracy theories and come back to planet earth here.

Don't blame the Chapmans, blame the breeders who have changed the game from 40 years ago when horses were so rugged they could run once every three weeks.
------------------
And note to PA:

If I have to listen to one of two people to tell me if a horse is limping or not, would I believe

a) Some guy who runs an Internet forum,

b) an accomplished horse trainer with many years experience and a keen eye for horseflesh?

freehouse2002
08-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I am shocked at the reaction of a horse retiring for millions in the breeding shed.. Doesn't this happen every single year??

Are the owners of SJ at fault? Service? NO!! How about the breeders willing to pay $20-30 million for him! How about the owners willing to pay the outrageous breeding costs to breed to SJ??

Like they say, don't hate the player, hate the game..
Yes, this happens virtually every year, and yes the owners are at fault. First, they said that this was the "peoples horse," then they said, they would take him to Philly so the hometown fans could see him.

Then, all of a sudden, they couldn't afford the insurance premium for Smarty (valued at about $1 M) after this horse had won over $7 million, and needles to say, these people were wealthy before this horse ever ran. Now I could understand selling out if you were a small owner as this is a huge windfall, but honestly, did they need the money?? Hell no, they were pressured by the breeding farm to get this horse off the track. I will no longer buy into the hype of 3 year olds as in the last five years, we have lost potential stars such as Fu Peg, Point Given, Empire Maker (who I was never fond of, but given time he could've grown on me), and now Smarty.

If Funny Cide was not a gelding, then yeah, they probably would've done the same, but, those were small time owners, and I would've understood it more than this. Pretty much what is ticking everyone off is that the Chapmans are coming off as major LIARS. Thats enough, I have said my piece.

freehouse2002

CryingForTheHorses
08-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by alysheba88
Disgraceful. Has nothing to do with any fake injury and everything to do with "Chappie's" greed. The whole SJ "story" was a fraud in hindsight. Glad he did not win the TC

OMG ALYSHEBA88
My friend I do understand why you are mad,Its like a death..first denial...then acceptence..Just think, In a few years maybe we will have another one just like him.
I also dont think you know reality...This horse is worth mega bucks...Let me ask you this question...IF he were your horse..WHAT would you do...C'Mon tell us...YOU wouldnt take the MONEY.This horse has problems and there is NO sense running him , JUST to see him end up like ANTLEY"S horse.Be a man about things and say THANKS for the MEMIORES

JustMissed
08-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Can Smarty pass that bruising tendancy to his offspring?

JM

freehouse2002
08-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
OMG ALYSHEBA88
My friend I do understand why you are mad,Its like a death..first denial...then acceptence..Just think, In a few years maybe we will have another one just like him.
I also dont think you know reality...This horse is worth mega bucks...Let me ask you this question...IF he were your horse..WHAT would you do...C'Mon tell us...YOU wouldnt take the MONEY.This horse has problems and there is NO sense running him , JUST to see him end up like ANTLEY"S horse.Be a man about things and say THANKS for the MEMIORES
It's understood that the horse is valuable, but my case is this, do they really need the money?? Or was it just an excuse to try and give this horse an aura of invincibility?? I think that the majority of people will say THANKS to the HORSE for the MEMORIES..............it's just a lot of us don't care for the way the connections fooled us all. If you are going to retire the horse, say it right away.....dont give us BS saying that the horse will run again. It gets peoples hopes up. They should've just been honest from the beginning. All things aside, It was a great run from a good horse. We will never get to see if he could've been great.

freehouse2002

Binder
08-02-2004, 05:34 PM
I know I am sounding naive

But I think I would do the same thing if I were the Chapmans.
Just take what the horse has given you and let him stand tall
He ran his best. Won every race till his last and lost a heart breaker. The Chapmans saw and heard the reaction of the crowd the winning jockey and even the winning owner
He got injured. Now maybe they feel like it would be too much for them to see him lose again with an injury
Others have got out early He won every race they put him in till the last He deserves to go out on top
I think they are listening to their hearts

One More Time
Go Smarty Go

alysheba88
08-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Andicap and McShell Racing,

freehouse sums up my feelings perfectly. "Chappie' is well within his "rights" to do whatever he wants. I hope I didn't infer otherwise.

What gets me is the "people's horse" crap. That was and is all nonsense. They have been very dishonest about him all summer. Personally I think they are afraid of getting "found out". That he isnt Secretariat like so many have tried to make him to be. But again, they have every right to do what they are doing

To me the suckers are the ones paying $48 million.

Next time someone tries selling you on a three year old as "the peoples horse" dont buy it. Appreciate the older horses. The Azeri's the Pleasantly Perfect. Your favorite hard hitting local horse.

I am not mad about this. Smarty Jones was never my favorite. Dont get me wrong I wanted him to win the TC, but it wasnt like I had a strong attraction to the horse. Certainly didnt and dont't consider him an all time great. I am one of the few who think racing does not need "star horses" to prosper. They are nice, and I appreciate those that run for a few years. Always have a soft spot for the Skip Away types.

PaceAdvantage
08-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by andicap
And note to PA:

If I have to listen to one of two people to tell me if a horse is limping or not, would I believe

a) Some guy who runs an Internet forum,

b) an accomplished horse trainer with many years experience and a keen eye for horseflesh?

Wasn't just me pal. Two others that I respect greatly and have a lot more knowledge on horse physicality. I have said this in my posts many times...it wasn't just my opinion.

And the next time you post a handicapping opinion, I'll consider the source as well, seeing as you are not a professional handicapper....

alysheba88
08-02-2004, 05:46 PM
As far as waiting a few more years, by recent history we just need to wait until next year. Winning two legs of the TC is not a rare accomplishment anymore.

Maybe Smarty could have been a great horse but no way he can be fairly considered one now. If Birdstone wins a few more races he maybe isnt even top three year old. Say Birdstone instead of Rock Hard ten only because Birdstone beat Smarty. RHT very well may turn out to be better than Birdstone.

JimG
08-02-2004, 05:50 PM
I would have liked to see a healthy Smarty Jones against a healthy Pleasantly Perfect in the Classic. Oh well.

I hope Smarty Jones lives a long life and his offspring do very well.

Jim

Pace Cap'n
08-02-2004, 05:51 PM
On a side note......

In recent years, how many horses that have given a good account of themselves in the Belmont have gone on to success a a four-year-old? Or even raced past three?

On another side note, other than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, how many people don't need an extra 20mil or so?

JustMissed
08-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by JustMissed
Can Smarty pass that bruising tendancy to his offspring?

JM

Anyone care to answer this question?

JM

Bubbles
08-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n
On a side note......

In recent years, how many horses that have given a good account of themselves in the Belmont have gone on to success a a four-year-old? Or even raced past three?

I can think of two: Lemon Drop Kid and Aptitude.

Buckeye
08-02-2004, 06:16 PM
I am disappointed BECAUSE the Chapmans are not doing "what's best for Smarty Jones" the horse, or what's best for racing, they are making this decision primarily for financial reasons. I think they will regret it.

freehouse2002
08-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n
On a side note......

On another side note, other than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, how many people don't need an extra 20mil or so?

How exactly will 20 mil help this guy out?? He is on his deathbead. He won't last more than 5 years IMO. If I were him, being already wealthy, I would've run the horse because at that age, I doubt he has much more to get excited about. Whatever, I will stick to my older horses who have at least raced more than 9 times.

freehouse2002

CryingForTheHorses
08-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by JustMissed
Anyone care to answer this question?

JM \
I will try, The bruising of a horses foot can be caused by several things...The most common is stepping on a rock etc.A horse can also "Founder" in a very low degree..The worst degree is the rotation of the coffin bone.Brusing is caused by OVERWORK,Eating too soon when still hot inside, Drinking too much when hot!..Not being able to stride out..thus stubbing toes into the ground...Carrying TOO much weight,The list can go on and on.Heat comes out of a horses foot, Too much heat and you crack the shell.If he has had this problem for a while" I think he has' Im sure its more then your common bruise,You are asking a GREAT question JM, Not sure if I can honestly answer it, I do not believe it will be passed on in his genes at this stage.Hopefully its just a soft foot. Also makes me wonder if they used a full pad on his foot for the races.If you look at a horse's hoofs and see rings around his foot, That will tell you if he has had a lot of heat in his feet,Horse needs to soak in ebsom salts and hot water then wrapped with bran and mud.."old remedy"..This will pull the heat from the foot.Im sure he has had the best vets look at him.Its also makes me think he had this going into the Belmont, If he did , He showed a LOT of heart..Hats off to you SMARTY..WE will MISS you

Pace Cap'n
08-02-2004, 06:59 PM
As in 175# exercise riders?

PaceAdvantage
08-02-2004, 07:03 PM
They say these are bone bruises. Sounds like too much impact took its toll.

You know what "they" always say about the good ones. They are the ones that try very hard, go that extra mile, and exert themselves to the point of injury.....

Dan Montilion
08-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Damn that Bailey and Solis, now they have taken it too far.

Dan Montilion

CryingForTheHorses
08-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
They say these are bone bruises. Sounds like too much impact took its toll.

You know what "they" always say about the good ones. They are the ones that try very hard, go that extra mile, and exert themselves to the point of injury.....

ALL horses will excert themselves to the point of injury, IF forced, YES PA he did do that!!..I did post before how hard they trained him with that BIG guy on his back, GRANDSTANDING on him as ALL the people watched and really didnt know what damage HE was causing this horse.HELL the horse was Fit!.I could aslo see after the belmont, That it was the beginning of the end for Smarty. In this game, Good horseman are far and few between, The game is about money, NOT the horse like it used to be.

peakpros
08-02-2004, 07:23 PM
I realy don't care if Smarty Races or not.

My own personal belief (based on info I have heard at the Monmouth Stables )is that the injury thing is BS.

What bothers me is that ESPN calls SJ a great horse.

I think he was a good horse but GREAT? After 33 years at this sport he doesn't make my list of great horses.

CryingForTheHorses
08-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by peakpros
I realy don't care if Smarty Races or not.

My own personal belief (based on info I have heard at the Monmouth Stables )is that the injury thing is BS.

What bothers me is that ESPN calls SJ a great horse.

I think he was a good horse but GREAT? After 33 years at this sport he doesn't make my list of great horses.

Well dont keep us in suspense, PLEASE tell us what you heard?

peakpros
08-02-2004, 07:43 PM
My info says he has a slightly bruised foot. Maybe their wrong. Maybe their right.

But again I really don't care about SJ.

My opinion is that this is all money related and the owners have every right to do whatever they want.

Storm Cadet
08-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Guys the problem is NOT with his hoofs. It is with the cannon bone. The guys on TVG did an excellent and acurate job (Cory Black) showing and describing SJ injury. The SJ team did a bone scan procedure to rule out bone injury in the ankle joint (cannon bone) and it came out "hot" or reactive to the scan. This is NOT physical heat but a term used in the medical profession. When the scan taken shows increased areas of activity due to stress, it is termed hot.

It means that there is a reactive stress syndrome going on with SJ ankle bones. You can call them stress fractures, stress syndrome, whatever. But there are changes going on with the ankle bones and the proper way to treat this injury is rest and no further running on them.

It's similar to stress fractures that we get in our tibia (shin) and ankle talus bones. We get them from running on hard surfaces, too hard a training regime...whatever...the pounding is taking it's toll on the bones and don't forget, he's still only a kid 3 YO. Usual time for bones, both human and equine is 12-16 weeks for this condition. Similar to hearing of your kids complaining of pain in their knees at a young age from playing on a lot of hard surfaces. The cure is the same...REST and don't pound the area.

In equine situations, if this was an everyday colt 2-3-4 YO he would be sent to a facility like Kesmarc in Lexington where they do aqua therapy running in a pool, non weight bearing, swimming to keep fitness levels, jog on a rubber indoor track to reduce shock, and therapy to get him back to the races. But why do it with SJ? Just let him hit the shed...he's earned it!

To read more on Kesmarc and therapy for these injuries read:

http://www.kesmarc.com/

CryingForTheHorses
08-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Thankyou for the info,
Im wondering something..does anyone have a picture poster of SMARTY winning the derby?..If so PLEASE use a magna glass and look at his left front hoof that is in the air..I Agree he may have stress fractures as MOST horses will get his..thats why they cheapen..Back to the hoof....Look VERY closely at the middle of the hoof....It looks like the foot is filled with a substance called EQUILOX, Its a filler for broken hooves and is great for fixing quarter cracks.I may be wrong.. BUT NO FOOT NO HORSE.I would LOVE to be able to swim my horse here in florida,Too bad they dont have that at Calder.

JustMissed
08-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Thanks McSchell, Great Info.

I could see a look in the trainer's eye that I could not exactly put my finger on. Your explaination explains what he had on his mind.

Thanks again for your post.

JM

DJofSD
08-02-2004, 09:08 PM
I believe that weak hoofs that sometimes manifest themselves as white or light colored hoofs are inherited. I don't know about the frog having any problems that can be inherited. Would not surprise me if there were perhaps as frogs thinner than normal, prone to bruise easily.

Re the bone scan: was that using nuclear medicine techniques or was it just a normal radiograph and they looked for shadows and/or changes like in coffin bone problems.

Re the 175# rider: you guys should look at what 3 day event horses do and carry. These horses are strong and they are fit. And they're properly conditioned. Carrying the weight and competing is not a problem in and of it self.

DJofSD

Tom
08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
CNN report of his retirement refered to Philly Park as a "low rent" racetrack outside Phildelphia....bet that went over well!

Storm Cadet
08-02-2004, 09:27 PM
WAs nuclear in nature and showed positive in all four ankle joints.

kenwoodallpromos
08-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Overall, a well-deserved retirement for SM. Most all horses do as much as asked and SM did much more than his pedigree offered. To retire him and sell him for many millions is smart of the owners.
I think a lot of reasons go into when, how much and how hard to race a horse and and noticing what seemed to Tom to be a limp turned out to be somthing. Tom was right, and I was right for sayiong on this group prior to the Belmont they should not run him there.
I'm glad we have some experts in different areas of horse stuff.

alysheba88
08-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Exactly freehouse. That sporting "Chappie" will be dead in five years and already has more money then he knows what to do with. But accumulating even more is what drives him. So spare us the "peoples horse" stuff Chappie.

And no I would not sell out for more dollars when I had more than enough to last me, my children and their children's lifetime.

Zaf
08-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Tom
CNN report of his retirement refered to Philly Park as a "low rent" racetrack outside Phildelphia....bet that went over well!

LOL

I heard on the Roger Stein show that when they get the slots the average daily purses at PHA will be 500 K :eek:

ZAFONIC

sq764
08-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Yep.. And the Pennsylvania Derby was proposed to be $1.2 million purse by 2006...

I wouldn't mind living in that low rent district..

Irish
08-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi guys. I've only been back in NZ for a week, after a month in the US/Canada, so please bear with me for being behind the times with news.
I've read most of the threads here so assume it to be true that Smarty has been retired due to injury (needless to say there has been nothing in the NZ newspapers). There seem to be conflicting reasons as to his retirement. Any suggestions as to who I should believe??
Some of you may be pleased to read he raised a great deal of interest here and in Oz and had lots of us cheering for him. However, none of us have the ability to write the script for racing, it's one of those things that are in the lap of the Gods. (and don't the Gods sometimes get the entire bloody deal wrong??)
I expect the only blessing is that Smarty has been retired instead of doing himself a dreadful injury during a race.

Thanks people.