PDA

View Full Version : WHO IS BARACK OBAMA?????

delayjf
08-02-2004, 12:18 PM
How did this guy get annointed the future savior of this nation. Looks like he'll win a non-contested senate race, no big deal

PaceAdvantage
08-02-2004, 12:22 PM
I think these conventions always tend to introduce a "new star" of the party. Barack Obama seems to be the Democrat's version...

Kind of like a debutante ball....LOL

andicap
08-02-2004, 01:20 PM
All non-partisan ship and ideology aside (I refuse to argue politics any more here), Obama has the potential to be the first black nominee for president. He will be flat out well qualified for the job after a term or two in the Senate.
He is so popular in Illinois that he would have destroyed his GOP opponent who decided not to run again (not the guy who dropped out because he was harrassing Jeri Ryan -- you can't make this stuff up).
Not sure The New Yorker's website has archives but they did a nice profile on him a while back.

He's brilliant, accomplished, and extremely personable. Not a flaming liberal (well to you guys he is), not at all like Al Sharpton, a demogogue if I've ever seen one. (I argue with my liberal friends about him all the time. I agree with the pundits who said his speech last week -- while a real treat -- probably Kerry more harm than good.)

Anyway, if you research this guy you'll find he's not just a state senator from Illinois. He's pragmatic, can get along with Republicans, and has excellent political instincts. (check out some Chicago Tribune's online or other Illinois papers -- Republicans have good things to say about him, although they don't like him politically, they will say he's extremely gifted in many ways.)

Democratis have not any "stars" since Clinton emerged but Obama -- despite the name he's American through and through -- is a Real McCoy. (BTW, this is irrelevant, but he's half-black. His mom is from Kansas, his dad from Kenya.)

I would hate to think that this country is so divided that people will automatically start to destroy someone just because they disagree with him on the issues.
With Sharpton, I agree he is personally repugnant. Tawana Brawley, probably a former drug dealer or at best, conduit. His behavior in the primaries toward Howard Dean was inexcusable.
How the hell can you criticize the governor of Vermont for not having enough blacks in your cabinet. THERE ARE NO BLACK PEOPLE in VT fer chrissakes.

The hope is that African-Americans will follow Obama not Sharpton and judging by the lack of votes Al got in the primaries, that's a real possibility.

Valuist
08-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Obama is very polished. Do not be surprised to see him become a major Presidential candidate down the road.

schweitz
08-02-2004, 04:26 PM
[i]Originally posted by andicap [/i

The hope is that African-Americans will follow Obama not Sharpton and judging by the lack of votes Al got in the primaries, that's a real possibility. [/B]

African Americans would be better off following anybody but Sharpton or Jackson---in my opinion.

chickenhead
08-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Maybe we can have Colin Powell vs. Obama?

sq764
08-02-2004, 04:38 PM
I think he's a cross between Sharpton and Mfume..

They both have some decent points, but they are overshadowed by their flare for the dramatic and egotism.

Thomason
08-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Colin Powell would have been elected President by now if he were a Democrat.

chickenhead
08-02-2004, 08:08 PM
do you think the RNC pressured him into not running? I think Colin would have won if he had ran, either party...

Tom
08-02-2004, 09:34 PM
andicap.....you liked Dean once, didn't you? :rolleyes:

Mt concern with Obama is that if the DNC likes him, what is he hiding? DNC doesn't typically favor resposnisble people. I think he would probably not be presidential material. Never knew a demo that was.