PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Sunday, May 14

Teach
05-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there.

Race One:
:6: HARD HITTER. Good stalking position. Outside post helps. Cornelio & Linda, a solid combo. 2nd in this
company in last. Any slight improvement… Solid wet-track pedigree. Only win came on muddy track. Highest last-race speed rating. Third start off a layoff (I like that angle). Decent-recent 5-panels morning-work. Other: :2:

Race Two:
:6: SKYLINE DRIVE. Moves up on a wet track. Rajiv has started to pick it up. Christophe Clement est tres bien! Clement does especially well with horses going from MSWs to Maiden-claiming (One of the biggest class drops in racing: Anthony “The Big A” Stabile). Elusive Quality on top, a solid wet-track sire. A change of scenery, a change of surfaces = a trip to the winner’s circle? Voila! Others: :5:, :1:.:4:

Race Three:
:6: UNDERCOVER AGENT is my pick in this 7-panels, state-bred, maiden-claiming sprint. First, this ridgling is taking a class-drop that makes him most competitive with this bunch. The 3 year-old has a solid, wet-track pedigree, both top and bottom. Third start off a layoff (Mike Hushion does well in that category). This ridgling has a second and third in two wet-track tries. His dam, Unbridled Star, was an outstanding broodmare. Dylan Davis is in the irons. Others: :7:. :2:, :3:

Race Four:
:2: MOLLICA is my pick. I tagged him as more of a dirt horse than a turfster. This colt has faced better. He should move up on the wet going. I like horse that are progeny of Uncle Mo (Indian Charlie). I also like the jockey-trainer duo of Cornelio Velasquez and Linda Rice. Linda’s very good with horses that join “the selling ranks” for the first time. Others: :5:, :4:, :6:

Race Five:
:6: ABOUT THAT BASE is a longshot try – at least on the ML. I believe this filly moves up on a wet track; she’s one for two on a wet surface. She has the services of Johnny V. and trainer Todd Pletcher. This filly has been off for five months; yet, if she’s reasonably ready, she can compete here. Others: :2:, :4:, :5:

Race Six:
:3: KRISTA’S PERSONA is my choice in this New York state-bred claiming sprint. This mare has a decent wet-track pedigree (I like Maria’s Mon on the bottom). This 5 year-old has won in this company; she’s dropping off her last race. Trainer Steve Klesaris does well with horses entered in claiming events. “Double A,” Angel Arroyo has the call. Others: :4:, :5:, :6:

Race Seven:
:7: MALIBU PRINCESS is an MTO who moves up in a race that is now being run on the main. One of NYRA’s finest, Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Rudy Rodriguez trains this daughter of Malibu Moon (A.P. Indy). This Royal Damsel-bred should be out and gunning for the lead when the gates open; she’ll be playing: catch-me-if-you-can. Others: :4:, :3:, :5:

Race Eight:
In the finale, I like the “outside” horses. My top pick is: :15: NORTHERN SCREAMER. This 5 year-old mare has solid, wet-track pedigree, both top and bottom. I’m particularly partial to Northern Afleet (Afleet). Yes, this mare is stepping up in competition to the allowance ranks; yet that’s more than made up for by the fact that the race will now be run on the main. Irad Ortiz, Jr. has the call for trainer Danny Gargan. Gargan does particularly well with winners of their last race. Others: :13:, :14:, :11: