View Full Version : Guy on the Track during GG Turf Race

SuperPickle
05-12-2017, 07:45 PM
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36641

https://twitter.com/3coltshandicap/status/863151221518909444

deathandgravity
05-12-2017, 08:00 PM
WTF? Was he crew?
Seem to remember a few years ago the maintenance crew @ Del Mar being out on the turf course during, but nothing that close

deathandgravity
05-12-2017, 08:02 PM
employee...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-golden-gate-employee-20170512-story.html

SuperPickle
05-12-2017, 08:22 PM
So stewards, outriders, and patrol judges and no one notices guy on turf course.

Same deal at SA when the padding blew onto the track last year.

Someone should be fired. No one will be fired.

The new normal.

NorCalGreg
05-12-2017, 08:39 PM
That was just Cratos checking the moisture content of the turf.

Fred Mertz
05-12-2017, 08:43 PM
That was just Cratos ...

You funny.

I lost my ass at Churchill today and won't ask you to look at it.

CincyHorseplayer
05-12-2017, 11:41 PM
That was just Cratos checking the moisture content of the turf.

Nicely done!:D

PoloUK6108
05-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Common sense and competence is becoming more of a rarity all the time

MonmouthParkJoe
05-13-2017, 06:23 AM
Article stated he didnt know it wasnt on the turf.

I really dont know how you have no idea the race is on the turf, or as previously stated how not one racing official couldnt see this person on the track.

kevb
05-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Watch the head-on replay. Surreal.

Tom
05-13-2017, 09:53 AM
He shipped in from Pimlico.

Inner Dirt
05-13-2017, 09:55 AM
A lot of time the track announcer has warned jockeys of hazards on the track, was it hard to see the guy from the position the race was being called? For the record I didn't watch the race replay as I have capped satellite internet and the only videos I watch are races I bet on.

upthecreek
05-13-2017, 04:11 PM
A lot of time the track announcer has warned jockeys of hazards on the track, was it hard to see the guy from the position the race was being called? For the record I didn't watch the race replay as I have capped satellite internet and the only videos I watch are races I bet on.
No mention from the traack announcer I had to watch it 2x the see the guy

dilanesp
05-13-2017, 06:46 PM
So stewards, outriders, and patrol judges and no one notices guy on turf course.

Same deal at SA when the padding blew onto the track last year.

Someone should be fired. No one will be fired.

The new normal.

I think the padding was DMR.

EasyGoer89
05-13-2017, 09:18 PM
In all my years at tracks and watching races, I've never seen a solo worker on the turf unless it was the actual head superintendent. Also, those guys are out there to fill divots, I didn't notice this guy has a divot tool,, or bucket or anything. Lastly, his body language didn't appear to be a guy who was startled at onrushing horses he turned his back and didn't cover his head. I'm going to be a little skeptical of the official story until more info comes out.

cj
05-14-2017, 12:31 AM
In all my years at tracks and watching races, I've never seen a solo worker on the turf unless it was the actual head superintendent. Also, those guys are out there to fill divots, I didn't notice this guy has a divot tool,, or bucket or anything. Lastly, his body language didn't appear to be a guy who was startled at onrushing horses he turned his back and didn't cover his head. I'm going to be a little skeptical of the official story until more info comes out.

Why post if you didn't even bother to read the link? The official story was that he was working on the timing system. Why would he have tools to fill divots?

dilanesp
05-14-2017, 12:59 AM
Why post if you didn't even bother to read the link? The official story was that he was working on the timing system. Why would he have tools to fill divots?

Now we know why this never happens at Gulfstream.

EasyGoer89
05-14-2017, 01:19 AM

There's a tool that maintenance guys use to pack down divots.

cj
05-14-2017, 01:30 AM
There's a tool that maintenance guys use to pack down divots.

I know what a divot tool is. Saying "fill in" wasn't the best term. That said, both the article and my post say why the guy was on the course. So again, why would he have a divot tool to work on the timing system?

https://www.bklynlibrary.org/sites/default/files/styles/eventcal_large/public/images/events/calendar/rif_107.png?itok=eaZxQuN8

EasyGoer89
05-14-2017, 02:34 AM
I know what a divot tool is. Saying "fill in" wasn't the best term. That said, both the article and my post say why the guy was on the course. So again, why would he have a divot tool to work on the timing system?

https://www.bklynlibrary.org/sites/default/files/styles/eventcal_large/public/images/events/calendar/rif_107.png?itok=eaZxQuN8

When I'm convinced the official story is true, I'll let you know.

JustRalph
05-14-2017, 02:43 AM
Now we know why this never happens at Gulfstream.

Now that's funny! 👍

NorCalGreg
05-14-2017, 03:04 AM

So who decides the "thumbnail/image" question? I'm seeing more and more full page images again

Andy Asaro
05-14-2017, 08:54 AM

May have been high on shrooms. Hence the cover story

Andy Asaro
05-14-2017, 08:58 AM

I don't believe anything they tell you when something happens in Ca.

BIGTKLO
05-14-2017, 09:32 AM
He shipped in from Pimlico.

Lee Chang Ferrell, that's the guy who took a swing and a miss at Artax.

cj
05-14-2017, 11:39 AM
When I'm convinced the official story is true, I'll let you know.

You didn't even read the story. You got caught and you're trying to deflect. Don't comment on stuff you don't read. It's bad form.

Hambletonian
05-14-2017, 12:24 PM
To me it looked like he was attempting to gravely injure himself. Suicide by horse.

You cannot tell me for one moment he could not hear them coming, and then he does not even face them, or flee, he kneels down facing the other way and gets knocked over.

He could have killed someone. Jail or a mental health institution.

cj
05-14-2017, 03:08 PM
I'll be there today. I'll see if he's working.

SuperPickle
05-14-2017, 07:48 PM
I love how the Alex Jones folks on this board can make some fantasy out of any event.

The guy was a electrician working on the timing system. He was under the assumption they were off the turf. Somebody let him on the course to do the work and either abandoned him or forgot him.

He was most likely as stunned to see horses coming at him and we were to see him on the course.

Btw... I'm just happy CJ's constant complaining about bad timing is seeing some action. :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

Andy Asaro
05-14-2017, 08:18 PM
To me it looked like he was attempting to gravely injure himself. Suicide by horse.

You cannot tell me for one moment he could not hear them coming, and then he does not even face them, or flee, he kneels down facing the other way and gets knocked over.

He could have killed someone. Jail or a mental health institution.

I'm going with this explanation.

cj
05-14-2017, 09:42 PM
I'll be there today. I'll see if he's working.

I found him. The story is 100% true. He works on the timing system. Here is a pic of me in the grandstand so you know I was there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_0OIFqUwAAKzPr.jpg

Fager Fan
05-15-2017, 01:28 AM
Care to expound? His actions defy any logical explanation. He was in the middle of the course, and in the time it took him to kneel, he could've run towards the outside rail and gotten out of the way.

I thought Andy and others were being kooks until I watched the replay, and they're right. His reaction is mystifying.

EasyGoer89
05-15-2017, 01:48 AM
I found him. The story is 100% true. He works on the timing system. Here is a pic of me in the grandstand so you know I was there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_0OIFqUwAAKzPr.jpg

So you post a picture of Tom Amoss and expect us to believe you were there?

;)

v j stauffer
05-15-2017, 02:22 AM
Care to expound? His actions defy any logical explanation. He was in the middle of the course, and in the time it took him to kneel, he could've run towards the outside rail and gotten out of the way.

I thought Andy and others were being kooks until I watched the replay, and they're right. His reaction is mystifying.

Perhaps the person has a substance abuse problem? Could maybe explain his reaction. Or what didn't seem to be a reaction many of us could have expected.

cj
05-15-2017, 02:35 AM
What is a normal reaction when you suddenly realize a bunch of race horses are about to run you over? I sure don't know and I doubt any of you do either.

dilanesp
05-15-2017, 02:37 AM
What is a normal reaction when you suddenly realize a bunch of race horses are about to run you over? I sure don't know and I doubt any of you do either.

I feel that way every time I place a bet.

v j stauffer
05-15-2017, 03:00 AM

Don't feel bad.

Being in the SF Bay area can induce trolling in even the strongest posters.

EasyGoer89
05-15-2017, 06:16 AM

I'm pretty sure the normal reaction isn't to quietly sit down while turning your back to the threat while not covering your exposed head.

cj
05-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Don't feel bad.

Being in the SF Bay area can induce trolling in even the strongest posters.

I'm trolling? That's rich. You guys are dreaming up half-baked suicide theories but I'm trolling. You must have had too much of the Arkansas spring water.

dilanesp
05-15-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm trolling? That's rich. You guys are dreaming up half-baked suicide theories but I'm trolling. You must have had too much of the Arkansas spring water.

You flipped it. Vic was saying you were being trolled by posters jealous that you were in the Bay Area.

cj
05-15-2017, 12:31 PM
You flipped it. Vic was saying you were being trolled by posters jealous that you were in the Bay Area.

Hmm, possible I guess. Maybe this chilly air has affected my reading comprehension. But then again, Vic did bring up a possible substance abuse problem based on a five second video so I'm not so sure.

CincyHorseplayer
05-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Whatever happened can we just declare this funny yet?! That vid, which appears gone, was a total riot! I did not want to see the guy get close to being hurt but cmon brotato chip!

ReplayRandall
05-15-2017, 02:12 PM
At the end of the video, it states the employee was working on the timing system:

https://youtu.be/W8JSfuHI6Oo

CincyHorseplayer
05-15-2017, 02:23 PM
At the end of the video, it states the employee was working on the timing system:

https://youtu.be/W8JSfuHI6Oo

I have always wondered. As a handicapping factor. How long it would take a hoof to hit me in the head at eye level. Turf horses have a different stride. This could be significant research. Every angle takes a pioneer.

v j stauffer
05-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Hmm, possible I guess. Maybe this chilly air has affected my reading comprehension. But then again, Vic did bring up a possible substance abuse problem based on a five second video so I'm not so sure.

This is one of the greatest cities on the planet.

A wonderfully diverse melting pot.

Certainly you should be able to find something better to do with your time?

Does PA pay you some special "stir things up" fee when things get a little quiet around here?

ReplayRandall
05-15-2017, 03:23 PM
CJ, if you come across this post, trust me when I tell you that you will thoroughly enjoy a refreshing walk through-----> Muir Woods

...It's a sure winner.

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2017, 03:31 PM

Does PA pay you some special "stir things up" fee when things get a little quiet around here?Shhhhhhh...what the hell do you think that envelope is for that arrives with your name on it every few months, Vic?

v j stauffer
05-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Shhhhhhh...what the hell do you think that envelope is for that arrives with your name on it every few months, Vic?

Damm. I always just assumed it had Anthrax in it.

Fager Fan
05-15-2017, 06:15 PM

Actually a lot of us know as it happens when you deal with horses. You run or move out of way if possible. You can also hold out or wave your arms or otherwise make yourself something the horse tries to swerve to avoid, but that's something you learn to do because it can go against the instinct to run/move. The very last reaction would be to kneel in front of them.

Fager Fan
05-15-2017, 06:21 PM
Perhaps the person has a substance abuse problem? Could maybe explain his reaction. Or what didn't seem to be a reaction many of us could have expected.

Maybe. It's too bizarre to believe the story at face value. Maybe they were trying to protect his privacy if he's really in trouble (like an addiction or suicidal).

Hambletonian
05-15-2017, 06:37 PM

No dude, you are the one who is stretching reality here.

My explanation makes a heck of a lot more sense than yours.

And by the way, if a field of horses is running at me, I am sure as heck going to get out of the way...as would anyone else with an ounce of self preservation.

cj
05-15-2017, 07:29 PM
No dude, you are the one who is stretching reality here.

My explanation makes a heck of a lot more sense than yours.

And by the way, if a field of horses is running at me, I am sure as heck going to get out of the way...as would anyone else with an ounce of self preservation.

You guys are complete loons IMO. The story given was completely plausible and in fact true. Believe what you want.

cj
05-15-2017, 07:35 PM
CJ, if you come across this post, trust me when I tell you that you will thoroughly enjoy a refreshing walk through-----> Muir Woods

...It's a sure winner.

Done, did so much today it was crazy. I'm too old for all this!

dilanesp
05-15-2017, 07:43 PM
Done, did so much today it was crazy. I'm too old for all this!

I bet you also refined your figure calculations for Tapeta. :)

Andy Asaro
05-15-2017, 08:14 PM
You guys are complete loons IMO. The story given was completely plausible and in fact true. Believe what you want.

Your word is good for me.

elhelmete
05-15-2017, 08:30 PM
I bet you also refined your figure calculations for Tapeta. :)

And wind speed and direction (at SFO airport) and RH%.

Oh and my algorithm says the guy in question weighs 79 pounds.

NorCalGreg
05-15-2017, 08:40 PM

Does PA pay you some special "stir things up" fee when things get a little quiet around here?

What city might that be? You live in one of the wealthiest counties in America... "wonderfully diverse melting pot" from your side of the bay....not the side I live on.

v j stauffer
05-15-2017, 09:26 PM
What city might that be? You live in one of the wealthiest counties in America... "wonderfully diverse melting pot" from your side of the bay....not the side I live on.

Ok.

Are you suggesting I move so you can feel better about my posts and opinions?

Or are you simply auditioning for a spot in PA's tri monthly "stir it up" stipends?

dilanesp
05-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Ok.

Or are you simply auditioning for a spot in PA's tri monthly "stir it up" stipends?

Vic:

You ever called a race with a guy on the track?

whodoyoulike
05-15-2017, 09:42 PM

Not everyone living in Cali has a substance abuse problem that's something those living elsewhere have been spreading since the 60's.

whodoyoulike
05-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Saw the video, where was the timer located, underground?

jimmyb
05-15-2017, 09:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTPn6hQThWM

Fager Fan
05-15-2017, 10:09 PM

Yes, it's plausible to kneel in front of something that will run you over instead of getting the hell out of the way. Seriously?

Why won't you expound on this if you talked to the person? What did he give as the explanation for such an inexplicable reaction?

NorCalGreg
05-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Ok.

I'm suggesting 99% of you fakes living in wealthy, lily-white Marin County would call this "wonderfully diverse"---as long as they don't move into your town.

whodoyoulike
05-15-2017, 10:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTPn6hQThWM

I also recall another incident which was at Dmr where a drunk guy ran onto the track in the stretch and took a swing at one of the horses. Neither he nor the horse got hurt. He was just lucky.

cj
05-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Summary:

Guy working on timing system doesn't realize race is on turf course.

Guy hears or sees horses coming and reacts late, curls in a ball, and luckily gets out unscathed.

People at PA watch 5 second grainy video and conclude guy tried to commit suicide and/or has substance abuse problems despite a plausible and reasonable explanation being put out almost immediately after the race from a respected reporter.

SRU, without even reading the story, chimes in to further add to the conspiracy theories, posting just to post as he often does.

I'm called a troll for pointing out the lunacy of those conclusions.

Sound about right?

Jeff P
05-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Summary:

Guy hears or sees horses coming and reacts late, curls in a ball, and luckily gets out unscathed.

People at PA watch 5 second grainy video and conclude guy tried to commit suicide and/or has substance abuse problems despite a plausible and reasonable explanation being put out almost immediately after the race from a respected reporter.

SRU, without even reading the story, chimes in to further add to the conspiracy theories, posting just to post as he often does.

Sound about right?

In my mind the relevant questions are:

a. Who put him in harm's way/allowed him to remain where he was while horses were warming up for an upcoming turf race?

b. How the hell do the stewards, outriders, riders who are warming horses up on the dirt before crossing over onto the turf course not see him/realize that he's on the turf course?

c. Will this be talked about publicly at one of the upcoming CHRB meetings? Only to become just another example of something gone awry that gets swept under the rug?

-jp

cj
05-15-2017, 11:30 PM

a. Who put him in harm's way/allowed him to remain where he was while horses were warming up for an upcoming turf race?

b. How the hell do the stewards, outriders, riders who are warming horses up on the dirt before crossing over onto the turf course not see him/realize that he's on the turf course?

c. Will this be talked about publicly at one of the upcoming CHRB meetings? Only to become just another example of something gone awry that gets swept under the rug?

-jp

No problem with those at all. There are definitely should people that should have some explaining to do. What I have a problem with was the sudden leap to suicide attempt / substance abuser.

Fager Fan
05-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Summary:

Sound about right?

He didn't curl up in a ball. He kneeled. He did zero to protect his head or chest. Had he curled up into a ball we wouldn't be having this discussion.

cj
05-15-2017, 11:36 PM
He didn't curl up in a ball. He kneeled. He did zero to protect his head or chest. Had he curled up into a ball we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The video from the side looks like he thought he was clear but once the wide horses came he curled up. The video isn't that great so I'm not positive.

Regardless, I find the leap to conclusions here ridiculous. I doubt a guy working on the timing system has gone through classes on how to react if a group of horses is charging at you. Sometimes people freeze in dangerous situations. It doesn't mean he was high or intending to kill himself.

EasyGoer89
05-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Summary:

Sound about right?

There's no 'conclusions' we are still unsure what happened. Some of us aren't buying the 'official story' the way it was presented. Why would you point out 'lunacy' for people questioning official accounts?

cj
05-15-2017, 11:40 PM
There's no 'conclusions' we are still unsure what happened. Some of us aren't buying the 'official story' the way it was presented. Why would you point out 'lunacy' for people questioning official accounts?

Because the questioning is based on nothing other than wild ass speculation. You didn't even bother reading the official story so WTF would you know?

EasyGoer89
05-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Because the questioning is based on nothing other than wild ass speculation. You didn't even bother reading the official story so WTF would you know?

I watched the incident before I heard 'what happened' and came to the conclusion that the persons body language and actions didn't come across like someone shocked that horses were bearing down on him, he acted like he was resigned to the fact he was going to get hit, he turned around and sat down quietly w back of his head exposed, who does that?

So I expected to hear something different 'officially' and when I didn't, I decided I wasn't convinced.

Why is that lunacy?

cj
05-15-2017, 11:53 PM
I watched the incident before I heard 'what happened' and came to the conclusion that the persons body language and actions didn't come across like someone shocked that horses were bearing down on him, he acted like he was resigned to the fact he was going to get hit, he turned around and sat down quietly w back of his head exposed, who does that?

So I expected to hear something different 'officially' and when I didn't, I decided I wasn't convinced.

Why is that lunacy?

I would guess because you're a lunatic? :lol::lol::lol:

ReplayRandall
05-15-2017, 11:55 PM

Why is that lunacy?
Maybe he was wearing earbuds and felt the ground shake as the horses came upon him, thus his late roll and tuck....

MONEY
05-15-2017, 11:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzP0kI1Z_98

Looks to me like he 1st panicked, then tried to get out of the way.
If he was attempting to get run over by the horses he would have moved towards the inside rail where most of the horses were instead of to the outside.

v j stauffer
05-15-2017, 11:56 PM
Not everyone living in Cali has a substance abuse problem that's something those living elsewhere have been spreading since the 60's.

Really? Thanks for the heads up.

Before your post I thought everybody in California has a substance abuse problem.

v j stauffer
05-15-2017, 11:59 PM
I'm suggesting 99% of you fakes living in wealthy, lily-white Marin County would call this "wonderfully diverse"---as long as they don't move into your town.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't realized the 99% of us who live in Marin County are "fakes".

ReplayRandall
05-16-2017, 12:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzP0kI1Z_98

Looks to me like he 1st panicked, then tried to get out of the way.
If he was attempting to get run over by the horses he would have moved towards the inside rail where most of the horses were instead of to the outside.
HE WAS FACING AWAY FROM THE HORSES....SO WHAT PANIC ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, THE ANNOUNCER'S? THE DUDE WAS PROBABLY WEARING EARBUDS LIKE I JUST GOT THROUGH SAYING EARLIER.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 12:03 AM
Vic:

You ever called a race with a guy on the track?

Don't think so. I'm sure I would have remembered that.

Certainly a zoo full of animals. Cat, Dog, Geese, Ducks, Fox, Rattlesnake, Coyote, Alligator et al.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 12:07 AM
Summary:

Sound about right?

I didn't conclude anything. I just suggested it for consideration where logic doesn't seem the best road to understanding.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 12:10 AM

-jp

A CHRB board meeting probably wouldn't be the proper agenda for delving into what happened.

More likely the stewards would hold a hearing with all involved and chronicle the results of that inquiry in the weekly stewards minutes.

MONEY
05-16-2017, 12:17 AM
OK
I just zoomed in.
Unless this guy has 3 legs he has a some kind of tool in his hand that he is using for something on the ground to his right.

cj
05-16-2017, 12:26 AM
A CHRB board meeting probably wouldn't be the proper agenda for delving into what happened.

More likely the stewards would hold a hearing with all involved and chronicle the results of that inquiry in the weekly stewards minutes.

The stewards will hold a hearing to determine why the stewards were negligent? That's just great.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 12:35 AM
The stewards will hold a hearing to determine why the stewards were negligent? That's just great.

There are obviously many more pieces to this puzzle than just the stewards.

Troll me this.

Troll me that.

You are a machine.

Keep a close eye on that mailbox CJ.

You've more than earned it.

cj
05-16-2017, 12:41 AM
There are obviously many more pieces to this puzzle than just the stewards.

Troll me this.

Troll me that.

You are a machine.

Keep a close eye on that mailbox CJ.

You've more than earned it.

Sure there are, but I'd assume stewards should check the course before any race is run, no? Nobody is trolling. Stop being a dick.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 01:00 AM
Just as an FYI it's not that crazy the stewards could have missed seeing him until it was too late.

I know if I was one of the stewards I'd want to pull my finger nails out if I missed it.

But consider this. Just before a race starts the three stewards have different responsibilities.

One will be looking at a bank of TV's that shows every stewards angle. But easily could have not caught the person on camera.

The 2nd steward is responsible until the gate opens to be at the ready at the computer terminal that closes the betting windows.

The 3rd steward will be looking at the race track but other than something catching their eye suddenly. That focus will be towards where the most action is. The impending start. That third steward must also immediately covey to the steward at the lockout terminal the race has started.

That's happens in a split second where the 1st one says "gates open" and the 2nd quickly responds "locked". After that the 2nd steward will also become focused on the just started race. He or she can choose to look at the race live or the bank of TV's or a combination of both.

Frankly when I was a steward I can see how I could have missed this person. Stewards also rely heavily on many other sets of eyes to potentially spot things for them. The Outriders, Patrol Judges and sometimes even the track Veterinarian and or their assistant who are in the pickup truck that follows the ambulance that follows the field.

Should someone have seen this guy before it got to that VERY dangerous point. Yes. Of Course.

However to just throw the blanket of negligence or incompetence over the 3 stewards in the stand. Is IMO to not fully understand the inner workings of every race every day.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 01:12 AM
Sure there are, but I'd assume stewards should check the course before any race is run, no? Nobody is trolling. Stop being a dick.

And to think once upon a time I called EMD a moron and the board was ablaze for weeks. I said moron because the real truth. Farcical liar, seemed too harsh. Years later that one sorted itself out and we all know the result.

It's gone from playfully calling a fellow poster a moron. To now a moderator calling a contributing poster a Dick.

If I was PA I would certainly have to re-think if your rhetoric is representing his site in the best possible way.

If it was my call I'd have to lean towards no. But what the heck does a Dick know?

And I must be a DICK because the great CJ says it's true.

mostpost
05-16-2017, 01:14 AM
You are making sense. The conspiracy theorists are not. Why would track officials say the man was an employee if he wasn't. Drop and cover (isn't that a military term?) is the most logical and instinctive thing to do in a case like that. Trying to get out of the way could lead to a person running right into the danger they were trying to avoid.

This would be a really stupid way to commit suicide. You are more likely to end up seriously injured or even paralyzed. Walking in front of a train would be much more efficient. (Disclaimer: Do not walk in front of trains.)

cj
05-16-2017, 01:23 AM
However to just throw the blanket of negligence or incompetence over the 3 stewards in the stand. Is IMO to not fully understand the inner workings of every race every day.

I was not doing that and if that is how it came across, it wasn't meant that way.

VigorsTheGrey
05-16-2017, 01:38 AM
And to think once upon a time I called EMD a moron and the board was ablaze for weeks. I said moron because the real truth. Farcical liar, seemed too harsh. Years later that one sorted itself out and we all know the result.

It's gone from playfully calling a fellow poster a moron. To now a moderator calling a contributing poster a Dick.

If I was PA I would certainly have to re-think if your rhetoric is representing his site in the best possible way.

If it was my call I'd have to lean towards no. But what the heck does a Dick know?

And I must be a DICK because the great CJ says it's true.

I was called a "Dick" today as well by the moderators so go figure...I once went to a coffee shop whose owner loved to insult his patrons...later, nobody went to his shop...

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 02:21 AM
I was called a "Dick" today as well by the moderators so go figure...I once went to a coffee shop whose owner loved to insult his patrons...later, nobody went to his shop...

Funny how that works.

Oh well.

As the great Hyman Roth, played by the equally great Lee Strausburg, once said.

"THIS IS THE LIFE WE'VE CHOSEN"

depalma113
05-16-2017, 06:05 AM
Looks to me like a deeply religious individual who fell to his knees and prayed for mercy when he was suddenly at death's doorstep. Happens all the time all over the world.

Fager Fan
05-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Just as an FYI it's not that crazy the stewards could have missed seeing him until it was too late.

I know if I was one of the stewards I'd want to pull my finger nails out if I missed it.

But consider this. Just before a race starts the three stewards have different responsibilities.

One will be looking at a bank of TV's that shows every stewards angle. But easily could have not caught the person on camera.

The 2nd steward is responsible until the gate opens to be at the ready at the computer terminal that closes the betting windows.

The 3rd steward will be looking at the race track but other than something catching their eye suddenly. That focus will be towards where the most action is. The impending start. That third steward must also immediately covey to the steward at the lockout terminal the race has started.

That's happens in a split second where the 1st one says "gates open" and the 2nd quickly responds "locked". After that the 2nd steward will also become focused on the just started race. He or she can choose to look at the race live or the bank of TV's or a combination of both.

Frankly when I was a steward I can see how I could have missed this person. Stewards also rely heavily on many other sets of eyes to potentially spot things for them. The Outriders, Patrol Judges and sometimes even the track Veterinarian and or their assistant who are in the pickup truck that follows the ambulance that follows the field.

Should someone have seen this guy before it got to that VERY dangerous point. Yes. Of Course.

The clip famously shown is the head on view. I watched the regular view of the race and the first time through, even though I knew it was there, I totally missed it. I had to replay a number of times to see. I totally get why anyone watching the horses from a normal view (and in the regular race view) missed it.

Fager Fan
05-16-2017, 08:21 AM
OK
I just zoomed in.
Unless this guy has 3 legs he has a some kind of tool in his hand that he is using for something on the ground to his right.

I watched again a number of times and while I didn't see a tool, I'm willing to hear how checking the timing system involves going out to the middle of the course and then dropping to your knees.

The only plausible explanation I can come up with is the above - that there is some reason why the checker would drop to his knees. There is no explanation for dropping to his knees if he actually knew the horses were coming, so I'm going with him hearing the horses but thinking he was hearing them on the other course (earbuds? Not. No chance they're allowed even if someone would be crazy enough to wear on this job) and had no idea he was about to be hit.

jimmyb
05-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Here in Massachusetts we have a couple of eating establishments that have been in existence for over a century. It is a custom to get insulted at some point during your dining experience I always love going to these places.

Casey's Diner was first established in 1890 with a 4-stool, horse drawn wagon that Fred Casey purchased from the Brooks family. The current diner was built in 1922 by the Worcester Lunch Car Company and has been located in downtown Natick since 1927. It has passed from father to son for four generations.

Famous for its steamed hotdogs, Casey's is a local landmark in Natick, serving generations of families for more than a century. The Diner is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the oldest operating diners in Massachusetts (possibly even the United States!).

Be prepared for a healthy dose of snarkiness. If you get insulted, all the better.

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2017, 11:06 AM
I was called a "Dick" today as well by the moderators so go figure...I once went to a coffee shop whose owner loved to insult his patrons...later, nobody went to his shop...it's been about 18 years already...I'm still waiting for everyone to disappear...

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Here in Massachusetts we have a couple of eating establishments that have been in existence for over a century. It is a custom to get insulted at some point during your dining experience I always love going to these places.

Casey's Diner was first established in 1890 with a 4-stool, horse drawn wagon that Fred Casey purchased from the Brooks family. The current diner was built in 1922 by the Worcester Lunch Car Company and has been located in downtown Natick since 1927. It has passed from father to son for four generations.

Famous for its steamed hotdogs, Casey's is a local landmark in Natick, serving generations of families for more than a century. The Diner is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the oldest operating diners in Massachusetts (possibly even the United States!).

Be prepared for a healthy dose of snarkiness. If you get insulted, all the better.

We have a couple of places here in China Town that we specifically go to because the crusty old waiters are darn right mean.

Great fun!

cj
05-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Since half-cocked conspiracy theories seem to be the order of the day, how about this one!

A certain announcer might have a grudge against Golden Gate so he can't see the forest through the trees. Maybe it really grinds his gears that despite being a local, the track has gone through several announcers in recent years and none are named Vic. This includes the first ever female announcer, a guy right out of college, and most recently a guy whose prime was 30 years ago.

Probably has nothing to do with anything---never mind.

Valuist
05-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Was there any riots in Berkeley last week? It's just a short ride away from GG.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Since half-cocked conspiracy theories seem to be the order of the day, how about this one!

A certain announcer might have a grudge against Golden Gate so he can't see the forest through the trees. Maybe it really grinds his gears that despite being a local, the track has gone through several announcers in recent years and none are named Vic. This includes the first ever female announcer, a guy right out of college, and most recently a guy whose prime was 30 years ago.

Might be something to that.

Certainly I expect your being half cocked could have merit.

Inner Dirt
05-16-2017, 01:15 PM

Watch that, Alan Buchdahl was calling the races the first time I ever set foot on a thoroughbred track at Santa Anita in 1979, his calls bring back fond memories. I figured he had long since retired till he turned up at Golden Gate.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Perhaps it's just my own paranoia.

But this out of the blue, unsolicited rant seems a bit DaHossian.

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2017, 01:34 PM
bringing Dahoss into this is not a great idea...I smell another thread closure coming.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Watch that, Alan Buchdahl was calling the races the first time I ever set foot on a thoroughbred track at Santa Anita in 1979, his calls bring back fond memories. I figured he had long since retired till he turned up at Golden Gate.

I've always felt Alan was a great announcer. Still do.

His calls come across with a certain "big time race track" feel.

Not easily done.

Good to have him on the Mic at GGF.:ThmbUp:

Binder
05-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Looks to me like a deeply religious individual who fell to his knees and prayed for mercy when he was suddenly at death's doorstep. Happens all the time all over the world.

I agree , The lord heard his prayer and showed his love for the man, the jockeys and all his creatures that no one was harmed

cj
05-16-2017, 01:47 PM
From what I have heard Alan has done a great job. That doesn't mean his prime wasn't long ago.

cj
05-16-2017, 01:48 PM
...unsolicited...

That's funny. Good one, Vic.

NorCalGreg
05-16-2017, 02:08 PM

If you miss EMD...he can be found on twitter babbling on about how "people on this forum hate to see anyone win"

One good thing about twitter...when you block someone--they completely disappear from your life.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 02:10 PM
That's funny. Good one, Vic.

Ok. Let's try this one.

Why not trying to post on this thread's subject matter and be less consumed on what one person has to say?

Why do my posts seem so much more important to you than anyone else's?

Why do you say I came to conclusions when clearly what I wrote showed nothing to substantiate that opinion?

Why do you feel the need to call contributor's to this and many other threads foul names like DICK?

It seems to me that moderator's by definition are entrusted with keeping civil control of the threads.

While clearly you've chosen to be by far the most volatile voice in this thread.

It make zero sense to me why you seem to feel the need cause angst.

When if you simply chose to do your job it would have the absolute opposite effect and not draw us all into the inevitable PA abyss.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 02:11 PM
If you miss EMD...he can be found on twitter babbling on about how "people on this forum hate to see anyone win"

One good thing about twitter...when you block someone--they completely disappear from your life.

He sent me a direct message on Twitter this morning.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 02:17 PM

But don't forget there's a 99% chance anything I say to you is FAKE. :cool:

Andy Asaro
05-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Playing Favorites

or

Ratzky on the latest Ripley's Believe it or not goings on in horse racing.

www.rogerstein.com

Excerpt:

Aside from this employee doing his best impression of Fredo out on the lake, it’s hard to believe none of the stewards, the patrol judge or anybody else for that matter didn’t see this Einstein out on the course prior to the running of the five-furlong lawn party.

dilanesp
05-16-2017, 02:56 PM
I've always felt Alan was a great announcer. Still do.

His calls come across with a certain "big time race track" feel.

Not easily done.

Good to have him on the Mic at GGF.:ThmbUp:

A lot of bad puns these days. Lion Command "roaring up on the outside". "They're locked up for the Alcatraz." Etc. :)

cj
05-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Ok. Let's try this one.

Why not trying to post on this thread's subject matter and be less consumed on what one person has to say?

Why do my posts seem so much more important to you than anyone else's?

Why do you say I came to conclusions when clearly what I wrote showed nothing to substantiate that opinion?

Why do you feel the need to call contributor's to this and many other threads foul names like DICK?

It seems to me that moderator's by definition are entrusted with keeping civil control of the threads.

While clearly you've chosen to be by far the most volatile voice in this thread.

It make zero sense to me why you seem to feel the need cause angst.

When if you simply chose to do your job it would have the absolute opposite effect and not draw us all into the inevitable PA abyss.

Before I head out to explore more of the Bay area, I'll wrap this up from my end.

I wasn't consumed with any one person. It was responding to the silly theories long before you chimed in. Get over yourself.

They're not. Messiah complex?

If you wrote something, I assume that is your opinion. It was ridiculous to even postulate the guy might have a substance abuse problem based on that video.

If being called a dick upsets you, not much I can say other than toughen up. You were in fact acting like one when surmising me posting my opinion was some ruse to drum up interest.

I've chosen to be active (hardly volatile) because I felt people in this thread were being ridiculous. I thought it initially, and after visiting Golden Gate I know it. It was reported by a respected DRF reporter that did his homework before putting out the story. End of story. But not at PA. Lets speculate that the guy was trying to commit suicide or has drug problems. I found that disgusting personally.

I felt I was being a moderator when I was pointing out the above. I'm also just a poster most of the time. And by the way, this isn't a "job". I have a real one of those full time. I make the same amount of money moderating as you do posting.

RunForTheRoses
05-16-2017, 03:54 PM
We have a couple of places here in China Town that we specifically go to because the crusty old waiters are darn right mean.

Great fun!

My Bay Area friend told me about this place and Edsel:

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2012/04/19/chinatown-institution-sam-wo-is-closing/

Then there's this chain, never went, not appealing to me but:

http://www.dickslastresort.com/mobile/

whodoyoulike
05-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Your conspiracy theories are probably just that.

But, isn't GG part of Stronach's race tracks?

dilanesp
05-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Your conspiracy theories are probably just that.

But, isn't GG part of Stronach's race tracks?

It is. I don't know the story of why Vic and Gulfstream parted ways, but I don't think that I have heard of Vic being in the running for a Stronach job since then.

For the record this is Stronach's loss. Vic is an excellent announcer and I miss him here in Southern California.

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2017, 04:55 PM
For the record this is Stronach's loss. Vic is an excellent announcer and I miss him here in Southern California.Didn't you say announcers don't make a bit of difference and are basically useless? Or was that only Durkin? :lol:

dilanesp
05-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Didn't you say announcers don't make a bit of difference and are basically useless? Or was that only Durkin? :lol:

I said they aren't important. They aren't. Keeneland survived for decades without them, and NYRA thrived for decades with Fred Capposella and declined with better announcers.

But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Vic's voice when I was at the track. If we are going to have an announcer, Vic's a good one.

whodoyoulike
05-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Getting back to topic.

Where is the timer located?

I always thought they were located on or near the rails. The video is very clear and I just don't see a timer.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Getting back to topic.

Where is the timer located?

I always thought they were located on or near the rails. The video is very clear and I just don't see a timer.

It's a beam from inner to outer rail which the horses pierce.

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2017, 05:56 PM
It's a beam from inner to outer rail which the horses pierce.You beat me to this...

I think anybody conjuring up something other than the official story is really reaching...why even bother? The official story is believable enough. Nobody knows exactly how they are going to react in that kind of situation. And people make some serious errors of judgement under extreme stress, especially life-threatening situations.

I'd turn my back too...I wouldn't want to see that coming at me in the end.

Inner Dirt
05-16-2017, 07:06 PM

Great fun!

Funniest thing I saw in a restaurant was in what looked like a Denny's sized family owned diner south of Louisville close to our motel when attending the derby in 1999. Let me preference I am with a friend who complains about smoking and is a picky eater. We came from California where smoking had been banned in restaurants for quite some time.

Before taking our order our waitress with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth is flagged down by a nearby table, she is over heard saying to the guy about his food. " Look mister if you don't like your eggs now you definitely ain't going to like them when I bring them back, I am busy, the cook is busy and we don't have time for your crap."

First my friend wants to leave, I then remind him it is midnight miles out of town and the only other nearby option is the snack machine at the motel. I am terrified he will do something to get our food poisoned. Actually the food was good and plentiful, as long as the mismatched tableware and Nurse Ratched didn't bother you it was a great place. The next day I told my friend we should catch breakfast there on the way to the track, he was driving so we ended up at McDonalds.

v j stauffer
05-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Funniest thing I saw in a restaurant was in what looked like a Denny's sized family owned diner south of Louisville close to our motel when attending the derby in 1999. Let me preference I am with a friend who complains about smoking and is a picky eater. We came from California where smoking had been banned in restaurants for quite some time.

Before taking our order our waitress with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth is flagged down by a nearby table, she is over heard saying to the guy about his food. " Look mister if you don't like your eggs now you definitely ain't going to like them when I bring them back, I am busy, the cook is busy and we don't have time for your crap."

First my friend wants to leave, I then remind him it is midnight miles out of town and the only other nearby option is the snack machine at the motel. I am terrified he will do something to get our food poisoned. Actually the food was good and plentiful, as long as the mismatched tableware and Nurse Ratched didn't bother you it was a great place. The next day I told my friend we should catch breakfast there on the way to the track, he was driving so we ended up at McDonalds.

I love stories like that. My guys in China Town here in SF are actually pretty good waiters.

Just mean as hornets. And wonderfully impatient.

Intimidating.

Not a good track for FTS's.:eek:

whodoyoulike
05-16-2017, 08:52 PM
It's a beam from inner to outer rail which the horses pierce.

Thanks.

I saw the video provided in an earlier post #43 and was looking at the inner rail and just saw a rail. The video is pretty clear for the inner rail and I don't think there is anything there but, maybe on the outer rail which isn't as clear which would be the inner rail of the main track.

And, if it is on the rail what was he doing in the middle of the turf course?

I'm imagining the beam is similar to the finish line setup which is very prominent. I may be wrong because I've never paid attention to the other timers except for the finish line.

depalma113
05-17-2017, 01:09 AM
it's perfectly logical to them for someone to check the electronic timer by being in the middle of the turf course,

If the timing system uses subterranean loops, it's very logical.

Fager Fan
05-17-2017, 01:48 AM
If the timing system uses subterranean loops, it's very logical.

It's too bad the heavy hands of the mods have struck again. We all love being treated like kindergarteners as well as with a high degree of hypocrisy.

There is no wire within a PVC pipe a foot below the track, nor are the horses carrying transponders. Even if they did, no one's going to be digging a one foot hole in the middle of a course in the middle of a race card, even if that is how one "checks" the electronic timer (which surely it isn't).

depalma113
05-17-2017, 02:11 AM
It's too bad the heavy hands of the mods have struck again. We all love being treated like kindergarteners as well as with a high degree of hypocrisy.

There is no wire within a PVC pipe a foot below the track, nor are the horses carrying transponders. Even if they did, no one's going to be digging a one foot hole in the middle of a course in the middle of a race card, even if that is how one "checks" the electronic timer (which surely it isn't).

Horses carry transmitters every day with Trakus and other systems, so why is that such a reach? Unless you have knowledge of what type of timer system they use, he could very well be out there digging holes in the turf to fix it.

Hambletonian
05-17-2017, 08:24 AM

Why the hostility? Some of us do not buy the official explanation for a number of reasons---mostly due to the way odd body language. None of us are saying we are absolutely right...just that the facts we see with our eyeballs do not match up with the official story as well as it might.

You on the other hand resort to insults, the last stage of a discussion when a person realizes that their argument may not be particularly convincing.

Fager Fan
05-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Horses carry transmitters every day with Trakus and other systems, so why is that such a reach? Unless you have knowledge of what type of timer system they use, he could very well be out there digging holes in the turf to fix it.

During the middle of a racecard? One guy is going to dig a foot down, without a shovel, and cut through a PVC pipe, without a cutting tool, and fix wiring, seal back the pipe, then replace the the base and sod correctly? And somehow he knew exactly where to dig to fix supposed bad wiring? I'm pretty sure fixing such wiring would require a small team with plenty of time and the correct tools to pull out and replace the wiring.

All the times we've read about a surface composition including its base, I've never read about the PVC pipe carrying the timing wire.

cj
05-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Why the hostility?

You on the other hand resort to insults, the last stage of a discussion when a person realizes that their argument may not be particularly convincing.

Skipped over Vic insulting me a few times I see. Nice.

elhelmete
05-17-2017, 10:45 AM
This was easy to find at DRF:

"There also are timing complications regarding turf courses, where rails are often set up in different lanes to avoid damage caused by the overuse of a portion of the course. By simple geometry, moving a rail from the inside toward the outer rail lengthens the course because horses will now have to cover more ground while running around the turn and while getting from the start of the turn to the end of it.

As a result, beam-based systems have to install multiple sets of sensors in order to have a beam at each possible point of call based on the lanes that can be used. According to Rosenzweig, Del Mar needed 120 sensors to cover all of its course configurations, including the main track, and this was prior to the track’s turf course being ripped out for a widening project.

According to officials, every U.S. track has a set of sensors for every turf course configuration, with one exception, Gulfstream, where the turf course has as many as 10 different lanes."

v j stauffer
05-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Skipped over Vic insulting me a few times I see. Nice.

Just one day of cutting the crap. We'll all embrace and rejoice in just ONE day! :ThmbUp:

depalma113
05-17-2017, 11:51 AM
During the middle of a racecard? One guy is going to dig a foot down, without a shovel, and cut through a PVC pipe, without a cutting tool, and fix wiring, seal back the pipe, then replace the the base and sod correctly? And somehow he knew exactly where to dig to fix supposed bad wiring? I'm pretty sure fixing such wiring would require a small team with plenty of time and the correct tools to pull out and replace the wiring.

All the times we've read about a surface composition including its base, I've never read about the PVC pipe carrying the timing wire.

If he believed the race was not on the turf, why wouldn't he go out and try to fix it? It doesn't take a team to work on it and it doesn't take hours. Also, there is nothing in the video where you can prove what tools he does or does not have. So you saying he didn't have a shovel is pure fabrication.

Lastly, and most likely, it was an antenna buried at a particular spot. It doesn't have to be a wire running underground across the entire length of the track.

Fager Fan
05-17-2017, 12:39 PM
If he believed the race was not on the turf, why wouldn't he go out and try to fix it? It doesn't take a team to work on it and it doesn't take hours. Also, there is nothing in the video where you can prove what tools he does or does not have. So you saying he didn't have a shovel is pure fabrication.

Lastly, and most likely, it was an antenna buried at a particular spot. It doesn't have to be a wire running underground across the entire length of the track.

I'm pretty sure we could see a freaking shovel.

Again, you're talking about a system they don't have, so why keep arguing it?

cj
05-17-2017, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty sure we could see a freaking shovel.

Again, you're talking about a system they don't have, so why keep arguing it?

It just so happens I had questions about the timing of turf races when the rails are out at Golden Gate before this ever happened. There were clearly issues in my mind. I was going to be in the area and was invited to discuss it. I spoke with people from the timing company and the track personally.

No matter how crazy it may look to you, the guy was on the course to work on the timing system. It is as simple as that. Unless you think the DRF reporter, Golden Gate Fields management, the timing company, and myself are all lying, I'm not sure why this is persisting. There really is nothing to see here.

dilanesp
05-17-2017, 01:40 PM
It just so happens I had questions about the timing of turf races when the rails are out at Golden Gate before this ever happened. There were clearly issues in my mind. I was going to be in the area and was invited to discuss it. I spoke with people from the timing company and the track personally.

No matter how crazy it may look to you, the guy was on the course to work on the timing system. It is as simple as that. Unless you think the DRF reporter, Golden Gate Fields management, the timing company, and myself are all lying, I'm not sure why this is persisting. There really is nothing to see here.

Now I'm thinking it's YOUR fault. :) You make a bunch of complaints on turf course timing at GGF, so they sent this guy out on the course to fix it!

cj
05-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Now I'm thinking it's YOUR fault. :) You make a bunch of complaints on turf course timing at GGF, so they sent this guy out on the course to fix it!

I hope not! In reality these timing devices should be checked often, much more than they are in my opinion.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2017, 01:51 PM
No matter how crazy it may look to you, the guy was on the course to work on the timing system. It is as simple as that. Unless you think the DRF reporter, Golden Gate Fields management, the timing company, and myself are all lying, I'm not sure why this is persisting. There really is nothing to see here.It comes down to the ol' "undying need to be RIGHT on the Internet...even if you're wrong."

HoofedInTheChest
05-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Some of you guys are making something out of nothing.

Woodbine was having problems with their timing system when the season opened, and after a couple of weeks it was discovered that groundhogs were chewing through the fiber optic cable that Trakus had laid out. It might be a good idea to use some conduit next time fellas.

For all we know the “guy” could have been looking for irregularities on the turf course, or looking for holes that an animal might have dug up, or trying to find a sensor, or whatever.

As they say in life..... timing is everything.

I think the guy made the right call, he faced in the opposite direction and crouched down so he wouldn’t take a hoof to the top of the head.

jimmyb
05-17-2017, 02:24 PM
It comes down to the ol' "undying need to be RIGHT on the Internet...even if you're wrong."

Some may have been tongue in cheek, but I could be wrong.:)

dilanesp
05-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Some of you guys are making something out of nothing.

Woodbine was having problems with their timing system when the season opened, and after a couple of weeks it was discovered that groundhogs were chewing through the fiber optic cable that Trakus had laid out. It might be a good idea to use some conduit next time fellas.

They just need to hire Bill Murray's character from "Caddyshack".

HoofedInTheChest
05-17-2017, 03:36 PM
They just need to hire Bill Murray's character from "Caddyshack".
Carl Spackler

Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet-Cong...Varmint-Cong. So you have to fall back on superior firepower and superior intelligence. And that's all she wrote.

Hello? Anybody home? Hello, Mr. Gopher! It's me, Mr. Squirrel. Just a harmless squirrel. Not a plastic explosive or anything. Nothing to be worried about. I'm just here to make your last hours on earth as peaceful as possible. Don't mind this. This is doctor's orders. You don't mind if I just pop in there for a few laughs? That's right. Or in the words of Jean-Paul Sartre: "Au revoir, gopher." This is going to be sweet.

Fager Fan
05-17-2017, 04:28 PM

The DRF reporter just reported what he was told. You've given no indication that you have any firsthand knowledge of what happened. So no, I don't think either of you are lying as without firsthand knowledge, you can't be lying.

Fager Fan
05-17-2017, 04:30 PM
It comes down to the ol' "undying need to be RIGHT on the Internet...even if you're wrong."

No, it comes down to the explanation making no sense, and to date, no one has offered up anything to clarify what happened.

cj
05-17-2017, 04:53 PM
The DRF reporter just reported what he was told. You've given no indication that you have any firsthand knowledge of what happened. So no, I don't think either of you are lying as without firsthand knowledge, you can't be lying.

You've dug your heels in. I admire stubbornness, but you're done in this thread.