PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Non BC Pick Six EVER ??? Mon. at DMR

Turfday
08-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Pleasantly Perfect just got beat. The P6 pool today was over $3 million. If there is a live ticket into the ninth race and final leg, the winner is likely going to get the entire pool.

If not, the P6 pool at Del Mar on Monday might be the biggest ever in racing history except for a Breeder's Cup day.

Turfday
08-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Payoff was more than $2.1 million to one lucky ticket holder. The cons paid off for five at almost $9,000. Big difference, wouldn't you say ?

MikeH
08-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Reports are that the winning ticket was bought by the foreman in Jeff Mullins' barn. The ticket was about $1,200, he had 80% of it, and singled Mullins' horse in the 9th.

For those of us handicappers who have sufficient arrogance to think that the barns don't know anything, well... enuf said!

Kindly note that this is written in the first person...

Jeff P
08-02-2004, 12:42 AM
If that's the case, come tomorrow, is the guy still working for Mullins? Or does he go out and get his own stable? Or perhaps his own island?

And now, just for fun, anyone want to compare notes and do a leetle red boarding?

I had the Mullins horse in the 9th as a single. To me the real trick on today's DMR card was coming up with the winners in the 4th, 6th, and 8th races. Short of using the all button, there's just no way I get any of these on my tickets.

Anyone else?

JustRalph
08-02-2004, 12:43 AM
They say the holder of the ticket was an owner.......see below

Owner Guenther Wins $2.1 Million Pick Six
Date Posted: 8/1/2004 11:23:03 PM
Last Updated: 8/1/2004 11:23:03 PM

A California and Del Mar record Pick Six payoff was set Aug. 1 when a single ticket containing all six winners, held mostly by Desperado Stables owner Scott Guenther, was worth $2,100,117.
With a two-day carryover of $717,343 and $2,490,228 wagered Sunday, there was a total Pick Six pool of $3,207,571.

Winning Pick Six horses, all non-favorites for races four through nine, were Gent, $11; Smokette, $17.60; Short Route, $106.20; Ya Lajwaad, $15.40; Choctaw Nation, $14.60, and Golden Souvenir, $8.20.

The winning ticket was purchased on track at Del Mar for $1,176.

Major shareholder in the successful ticket was owner Guenther, who races under the nom de course of Desperado Stables, a partner in the ownership of 2003 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Buddy Gil, trained by Jeff Mullins.

Guenther said it was "pretty bold and daring to single" Golden Souvenir, trained by Mullins, in the last race. But he said including Short Route, the 52-1 shot who won the sixth race, was "pretty easy."

"I own a piece of Mud Route (the winner's sire), but that's not the reason," he said. "I didn't do it out of emotion. He's getting really precocious young runners. And I think the horse is out of a Phone Trick mare, and I just saw Mud Route over Phone Trick and since it was a short race, I figured speed and precocity, so I said I gotta' include the horse."

Guenther had 80% of the ticket. Three partners split the other 20%.

It was a nice day for Mullins as well. He sent out Choctaw Nation to upset odds-on favorite Pleasantly Perfect in the San Diego Handicap (gr. II) and also won the ninth and final race today with Golden Souvenir, owned by Golden Eagle Farm.

The Pick Six payoff eclipsed that of $1,528,818.60 paid out last year on the same calendar day – Aug. 1, 2003. That was the previous state record as well.

The national record for a Pick Six payoff is $3,068,138.60. It was accomplished at Gulfstream Park on Nov. 6, 1999 in the Breeders' Cup Ultra Pick Six.

delayjf
08-02-2004, 02:19 PM
the Mullins horse in the 9th was about 3-1, so hard to see the conspiracy here. Question is, how did he get the 50-1 horse???

chickenhead
08-02-2004, 02:51 PM
choctaw is my boy...I called him out in the selection forum long time ago...sorry I wasn't playing, that's a nice price.

Valuist
08-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Supposedly the winning group also had the consolation 13 times for another $107K in chump change. Not a bad day.

Macdiarmadillo
08-02-2004, 08:10 PM
delayjf wrote:
Question is, how did he get the 50-1 horse???

Guenther said it, maybe not perfectly; it's the breeding. This was a 5.5f race for 2yo fillies. Mud Route runners are precocious = win young and early. Phone Trick (dam sire) runners are usually speed and sprinters. The others, except maybe Rubby G, have breeding for distance or turf. Doesn't mean any of them couldn't have won this, but you have to think that all of them were not intended to win at this distance. Short Route's connections were probably trying. And where their stats were somewhat weak IMO (which led me to not consider them), at least they weren't 0-for-lifetime like some others there.

I think we all know he didn't single this race. It WAS pretty gutsy to single the last, but they might have had to do this to keep the ticket at around $1000. Skill, vision and luck is what it takes, and those guys had it all that day.

Turfday
08-02-2004, 09:01 PM
The 6th race winner Short Route paid $106.20 to win. Trainer Joe Herrick was 0/23 with first-time starters since Jan. 1, 1995. He's been an 8-9% trainer all along with about 30-35 starters per year. Very low profile and trains his stock at San Luis Rey Downs training center.

The 6th race second choice at 2/1 was the Ron McAnally-trained House of Danzing, with some fast works, including a couple of :58 and change drills. He was the "buzz horse" and, in fact, was touted on TVG by Frank Lyons, who said McAnally told him the filly could really run.

What Lyons failed to realize was that Hall of Fame trainer McAnally was an AWFUL 16/220 (7%) with first-time starters since Jan. 1, 1995 and get this............ 1/45 with firsters at Del Mar in that time period....a meet he supposedly excels at. You could win a trivia contest with that last stat.

House of Danzing was not unexpectedly down the track.

MOST INTERESTINGLY....is that there's a rumble that the CHRB is looking into the PICK THREE (not Pick Six) payoff ending in the sixth race with the big longshot winner Short Route.

Do you think the Pick Three winners of that sequence just might have been a bit SHORT CHANGED ???

4th race winner Gent paid $11.00 (beat a heavy favorite)

5th race winner Smokette paid $17.60 (bet from 15/1 to 7/1)

6th race winner Short Route paid $106.20

PICK THREE payoff is..........$882.10

PARLAY payoff is..............$5,140.00