PDA

View Full Version : First time Pimlico

Pete WTV
05-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Going to Preakness for the first time with a few non horse racing friends, any tips for a good experience? Thanks.

cj
05-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Going to Preakness for the first time with a few non horse racing friends, any tips for a good experience? Thanks.

Use public transportation.

PowerUpPaynter
05-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Go to 'Power Plant Live' on the inner harbor Friday night... such a great place.

Saturday allow time to catch a cab to the track. If you are staying on the infield, bring cheap chairs that you will just end up leaving there and get a good spot in front of a monitor when you get in.

arw629
05-11-2017, 11:17 PM
Don't leave Ben's Cat off your pick 5 tix....still sick that he beat bold thunder a few yrs ago and cost me a very juicy pick 5

It was black Eyed Susan day actually

cj
05-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Don't leave Ben's Cat off your pick 5 tix....still sick that he beat bold thunder a few yrs ago and cost me a very juicy pick 5

It was black Eyed Susan day actually

He beat me on Black Eyed Susan day last year too, nosed out a big price I bet.

Si2see
05-12-2017, 10:23 AM
He beat me on Black Eyed Susan day last year too, nosed out a big price I bet.

Ever since that day he has been a great play against. He has the biggest local following for any Maryland horse in my gambling lifetime ( 15 years )

Mike ( picsix ) might not want to relive this story but at the Laurel Champions tournament in August he woke me up in the morning to specifically tell me he was playing against ben's cat with a big longshot names John Jones..... Well Mike unfortunately was out of the contest an hour before that race.... John Jones wires the field at a BIG Price. Mike was sick for the rest of the weekend ( partly because of how many beers he drank to get over the bad luck he had :lol: )

OP, I might make the trip up from Virginia Friday for Black eyed susan, I always enjoy that day. However preakness not so much. My advice is get reserved seats on the track side, and travel in groups when entering and exiting.

Jason

tanner12oz
05-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Step 1 lower your expectations

rrpic6
05-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Buy cooked food outside Pimlico before or after the races from the people cooking out in their front yards. Great BBQ, burgers, fried fish, etc. The food inside, except for the pizza is not very good. Scope out the bathrooms before you actually need to use one. Could save yourself from a reallly shi**%# day.

RR

tanner12oz
05-13-2017, 11:53 AM
you can bring in food and drink in clear bags and containers. no booze allowed anymore and they are kinda strict in examining things for booze (my binocular flask was confiscated last year). the food inside in all overpriced, crappy served by miserable people. the bathrooms are gross and will be needed if you food. the light rail/bus shuttle is like $3 and picks up from all over the place. the light rail portion works well but the bus sucks. they keep moving the pickup and drop off around which makes for a shorter walk but you sit in traffic on a hot crowded bus FOREVER. why they moved the pickup/dropoff from the backside area is beyond me...its the shortest distance back to the highway...total stupidity.

make your bets early...no pa system so all you hear is bass from the infield all day...the jumbotrons are usually barely seeable.....

is what it is...hardly a "jewel" of the triple crown

alhattab
05-13-2017, 05:20 PM
you can bring in food and drink in clear bags and containers. no booze allowed anymore and they are kinda strict in examining things for booze (my binocular flask was confiscated last year). the food inside in all overpriced, crappy served by miserable people. the bathrooms are gross and will be needed if you food. the light rail/bus shuttle is like $3 and picks up from all over the place. the light rail portion works well but the bus sucks. they keep moving the pickup and drop off around which makes for a shorter walk but you sit in traffic on a hot crowded bus FOREVER. why they moved the pickup/dropoff from the backside area is beyond me...its the shortest distance back to the highway...total stupidity.

make your bets early...no pa system so all you hear is bass from the infield all day...the jumbotrons are usually barely seeable.....

Sounds awesome I can't wait to go next weekend!

PhantomOnTour
05-13-2017, 10:24 PM

Sounds like you have a terrible time, but continue to show up year after year :confused:
There's over 120,000 people there...how easy do you expect it to be when you enter and leave the premises?
You don't need to make your bets early if you know where to bet (ground floor in the grandstand using the SAM machines on the back side of all the windows with live tellers), and there is a PA system, but a huge loud crowd tends to drown it out.
And...at the height of action on Preakness day I know of a public bathroom in the grandstand that's a breeze to get in and out of...LITERALLY NO WAIT AT ALL....the ladies room is an entirely different story though.

You can bring your own food on Preakness day also, and avoid the long lines for racetrack fare.
I've been every year since 1999 and have a fantastic time...every time.
If you can get there Friday for Black Eyed Susan Day you may love it more than Preakness Day..it's great.

JustRalph
05-14-2017, 02:21 AM
Go the day before the Preakness. Best tip ever.........

tanner12oz
05-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Sounds like you have a terrible time, but continue to show up year after year :confused:
There's over 120,000 people there...how easy do you expect it to be when you enter and leave the premises?
You don't need to make your bets early if you know where to bet (ground floor in the grandstand using the SAM machines on the back side of all the windows with live tellers), and there is a PA system, but a huge loud crowd tends to drown it out.
And...at the height of action on Preakness day I know of a public bathroom in the grandstand that's a breeze to get in and out of...LITERALLY NO WAIT AT ALL....the ladies room is an entirely different story though.

You can bring your own food on Preakness day also, and avoid the long lines for racetrack fare.
I've been every year since 1999 and have a fantastic time...every time.
If you can get there Friday for Black Eyed Susan Day you may love it more than Preakness Day..it's great.

Its tradition and the tickets have been in the family for over 30 years. I also go on Friday. I know your trying but compared to other big race days and other tracks it totally sucks. Sorry just imo.

charm city whizz
05-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Go the day before the Preakness. Best tip ever.........

Never read a truer post in my life

PhantomOnTour
05-16-2017, 12:01 AM
I can't imagine that Churchill Downs is any easier to get into or out of on Derby day...anyone who's been there please chime in.
Didn't Belmont have extended delays leaving the track a few years ago? Very long lines for the trains if I recall.

Not sure what all of you who are unhappy with the Pimlico experience on Preakness Day are actually expecting / looking for...
> top notch food? C'mon, it's a race track, they're not serving Duck L'Orange or braised pork cheeks
> shorter bathroom lines? Yo, there's 120,000 people there, what do you really expect?
> Lines too long at the tellers? Well yeah, tons of rookie players not familiar with the lingo, the betting menu, etc etc etc...get a voucher and go use the SAM machines. I routinely leave my seat in the grandstand at about 5-7MTP and have NEVER been shut out, ever.

***if you're a drinker and you're clever you can sneak alcohol in on Preakness Day easily...been doing it for 17yrs (think like a college kid and it's a breeze...lol)

Yes, I will admit that the big screens on the infield are not very good, but I'll trade that for the experience of seeing top notch race horses rolling by in upper stretch right in front of me. We sit btw the 3/16 pole and the 1/8 pole; a place I normally never watch races from...it's a fantastic spot to be as they are in the heat of the battle just off the far turn.

Y'all just go 'head and stay home if it's so bad.
I'll be at Pimlico

charm city whizz
05-16-2017, 11:08 AM
I can't imagine that Churchill Downs is any easier to get into or out of on Derby day...anyone who's been there please chime in.
Didn't Belmont have extended delays leaving the track a few years ago? Very long lines for the trains if I recall.

Not sure what all of you who are unhappy with the Pimlico experience on Preakness Day are actually expecting / looking for...
> top notch food? C'mon, it's a race track, they're not serving Duck L'Orange or braised pork cheeks
> shorter bathroom lines? Yo, there's 120,000 people there, what do you really expect?
> Lines too long at the tellers? Well yeah, tons of rookie players not familiar with the lingo, the betting menu, etc etc etc...get a voucher and go use the SAM machines. I routinely leave my seat in the grandstand at about 5-7MTP and have NEVER been shut out, ever.

***if you're a drinker and you're clever you can sneak alcohol in on Preakness Day easily...been doing it for 17yrs (think like a college kid and it's a breeze...lol)

Yes, I will admit that the big screens on the infield are not very good, but I'll trade that for the experience of seeing top notch race horses rolling by in upper stretch right in front of me. We sit btw the 3/16 pole and the 1/8 pole; a place I normally never watch races from...it's a fantastic spot to be as they are in the heat of the battle just off the far turn.

Y'all just go 'head and stay home if it's so bad.
I'll be at Pimlico

I don't think there is a person there on Friday (55,000) with the nice weather finally) that wants to be there more then you👍👍👍👍👍 still remember the :9:you had last year or year before in Susan

Parson
05-17-2017, 08:15 AM
as a regular on Thurby ( the day before the KY Oaks), Oaks day, and KY derby day, I can say if you park about 5-6 blocks out in someone's yard the exit is much easier upon departure. As for hiding booze, I have done it successfully every year except the year my youngest daughter was 7. I got caught with a bottle of bourbon. Her response " Next year Daddy, let me carry it in. They would not think to search a little girl for booze":lol: I guess she spends way too much time with her Daddy.
I have not been to Pimlico since 1988 and the infield was a free for all back then. I think they have calmed it down. When we were there, we had a keg in a shopping cart with a cold plate and general admission was only $5.00. Oh those misspent days of my youth>>>>:rolleyes: