PDA

View Full Version : CD Stupidity Alert

drib
05-05-2017, 10:06 AM
With 30 MTP for race 1 at CD, the dish TV feed is carrying a message that NBC Sports has the rights to CD race coverage today (12PM-6:30PM). Right now there is no feed available; perhaps someone will look at their watch and start showing the early races. What is funnier (and a sad commentary on the popularity of horse racing) is that, today, NBC Sports is interrupting their CD coverage for 2 hours to show the Tottenham soccer game! With usual alternates CNBC, and MSNBC otherwise occupied, I can find no race listings from 3PM-5PM today. It is quite possible that these hours will suffer a nationwide TV blackout thx to English soccer. Perhaps there will be some provision announced during the early NBC sports coverage, but don't hold your breath.
I should note that the CD feed for race 1 available from the usual internet betting sites.

drib
05-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Well they ran first race with no TV available. Given that the many simo outlets usually get their feeds from dish TV, I wonder if the race was shown.

upthecreek
05-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Well they ran first race with no TV available. Given that the many simo outlets usually get their feeds from dish TV, I wonder if the race was shown.

I watched it streaming on 4NJbets No TV coverage on TVG, only TVG2

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Watching the NBC telecast right now...and the first thing that struck me...Jerry Bailey has more hair than the last time I saw him...:lol:

MonmouthParkJoe
05-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Fantastic. I get to miss the first two legs of my pick 4

upthecreek
05-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Watching the NBC telecast right now...and the first thing that struck me...Jerry Bailey has more hair than the last time I saw him...:lol:
I thought that yesterday I thought I was seeing things Also Krista Voda? is doing a good job

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Speaking of stupidity, Laffit Pincay just asked Ian Wilkes how his big horse Classic Empire is doing...:lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2017, 02:22 PM
They just showed a replay of the Animal Kingdom Derby, and I was reminded how much I loved Shackleford...that horse was just so damn cool...

And surprisingly, he has quite the extensive Wiki page...lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shackleford_(horse)

dilanesp
05-05-2017, 02:34 PM
With 30 MTP for race 1 at CD, the dish TV feed is carrying a message that NBC Sports has the rights to CD race coverage today (12PM-6:30PM). Right now there is no feed available; perhaps someone will look at their watch and start showing the early races. What is funnier (and a sad commentary on the popularity of horse racing) is that, today, NBC Sports is interrupting their CD coverage for 2 hours to show the Tottenham soccer game! With usual alternates CNBC, and MSNBC otherwise occupied, I can find no race listings from 3PM-5PM today. It is quite possible that these hours will suffer a nationwide TV blackout thx to English soccer. Perhaps there will be some provision announced during the early NBC sports coverage, but don't hold your breath.
I should note that the CD feed for race 1 available from the usual internet betting sites.

If NBC paid for exclusivity, they can insist on this.

Vinnie
05-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Who's got more forehead Jerry Bailey or the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones?! "Your'e all a bunch of dim dims". :lol: You could show an entire motion picture across that forehead of his. I know that I am ripping on him a bit, but, I really do like Jerry Bailey an awful lot.

upthecreek
05-05-2017, 02:54 PM
I watched it streaming on 4NJbets No TV coverage on TVG, only TVG2

TVG just stopped streaming, I can't watch any races til NBC comes back on WTF:bang:

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2017, 03:03 PM
For what it's worth, TwinSpires has been streaming CD all day long...

BIG49010
05-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Reminds me the Indy 500 when you could only listen to or attend the race live, and then they would show it on TV in the evening when it was over.

People wonder why racing is dying, it's stupid shit like this!:bang:

WP1981
05-05-2017, 03:42 PM
They also said during the soccer game you could still watch the live coverage from CD on nbc sports extra online. When I click the live feed there it shows a replay of the show from 9am today. :bang:

castaway01
05-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Who's got more forehead Jerry Bailey or the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones?! "Your'e all a bunch of dim dims". :lol: You could show an entire motion picture across that forehead of his. I know that I am ripping on him a bit, but, I really do like Jerry Bailey an awful lot.

If you're going to pick obscure references for your insults, you should at least know that the Great Gazoo called everyone "dumb dumbs", you dumb dumb.

Like the enhanced hair on JD Bailey, looking good.

Thomas Roulston
05-05-2017, 04:01 PM
MSG+ will be airing racing from Belmont from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM ET.

CincyHorseplayer
05-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Racing at 10:30 in the morning with about an hour space between race from 2pm on. This sucks. Belmont is off turf too. Cincy not having a fun week. No BBQ smoker goin. No horseshoes. I need drinks and ̶h̶o̶o̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ and hotel campout!:D

Tom
05-05-2017, 06:47 PM

He was shivering all day, so maybe he grew a winter coat! :pound:

jahura2
05-05-2017, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=Vinnie;2162904]Who's got more forehead Jerry Bailey or the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones?! "Your'e all a bunch of dim dims". :lol: You could show an entire motion picture across that forehead of his. I know that I am ripping on him a bit, but, I really do like Jerry Bailey an awful lot.[/QUOTe

Haha. I've been calling Bailey the Great Gazoo for years and no one knew what I was talking about. Great minds think alike Vinnie.

CincyHorseplayer
05-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Racing at 10:30 in the morning with about an hour space between race from 2pm on. This sucks. Belmont is off turf too. Cincy not having a fun week. No BBQ smoker goin. No horseshoes. I need drinks and ̶h̶o̶o̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ and hotel campout!:D

Sorry man! Was in doldrums because of race 9!

Vinnie
05-05-2017, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Vinnie;2162904]Who's got more forehead Jerry Bailey or the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones?! "Your'e all a bunch of dim dims". :lol: You could show an entire motion picture across that forehead of his. I know that I am ripping on him a bit, but, I really do like Jerry Bailey an awful lot.[/QUOTe

Haha. I've been calling Bailey the Great Gazoo for years and no one knew what I was talking about. Great minds think alike Vinnie.

Thanks Jahura2, I appreciate it!! :)

Fager Fan
05-06-2017, 09:19 AM
If NBC paid for exclusivity, they can insist on this.

And CD could've negotiated to allow the races that they weren't showing to be shown somewhere else.

But CD decided they'd rather have the additional $100 rather than do what they needed to make sure fans and handicappers could see the full race card.

Thomas Roulston
05-06-2017, 11:24 AM
I will be resuscitating this thread on July 30th - the last day of the CD meet - if any turf races are taken off the grass.

What would they be "saving" the turf course for - next year?

And what is wrong with running on a "heavy" turf course? Don't they do it in Europe all the time?

dilanesp
05-06-2017, 01:13 PM
And CD could've negotiated to allow the races that they weren't showing to be shown somewhere else.

But CD decided they'd rather have the additional $100 rather than do what they needed to make sure fans and handicappers could see the full race card.

It is not that simple. I have seen licensing and production agreements. They are long and complex. A key goal of the broadcaster is to reduce the number of alternative channels. Insisting that other broadcasters can carry the races can cost NBC serious money, which will be reflected in the rights fee.

CincyHorseplayer
05-06-2017, 01:38 PM
I will be resuscitating this thread on July 30th - the last day of the CD meet - if any turf races are taken off the grass.

What would they be "saving" the turf course for - next year?

And what is wrong with running on a "heavy" turf course? Don't they do it in Europe all the time?

Absolutely. It's not like they are tearing the course to shreds like Gulfstream!

FrankieFigs
05-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Folks, I've got the live feed up on xbtv....

thespaah
05-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Fantastic. I get to miss the first two legs of my pick 4

Wait a minute. Let me get this straight.
If one has RTN through Dish or the on line version, CD races were blacked out?
BTW, i was watching the coverage on NBCSN until 1pm. I had to go out for a while
Anyway. About RTN...Anyone?

thespaah
05-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Reminds me the Indy 500 when you could only listen to or attend the race live, and then they would show it on TV in the evening when it was over.

Apparently the geniuses over at NBC/Comcast thikl we are tuned in and watch all the commercials.
I have news for them, we're not....

FrankieFigs
05-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I didn't have an issue all day. Watched XBTV show on my iPad and the live track feed from TwinSpires on my computer. Never skipped a beat.

thespaah
05-06-2017, 07:38 PM

And the TV broadcast was the next day!

thespaah
05-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Absolutely. It's not like they are tearing the course to shreds like Gulfstream!

You are referring to that green and sand colored thing in the Gulfstream infield as a turf course? YIKES!

Fager Fan
05-07-2017, 08:16 AM
It is not that simple. I have seen licensing and production agreements. They are long and complex. A key goal of the broadcaster is to reduce the number of alternative channels. Insisting that other broadcasters can carry the races can cost NBC serious money, which will be reflected in the rights fee.

These weren't alternatives. NBC wasn't showing the races after the 8 Belles until 5pm. CD should've negotiated to allow TVG to show them.

Tom
05-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Even during N:puke:C live coverage, the failed to show some races.

No reason to not allow other to aside from NBC blatant greed and disrespect for the people who keep the game going the other 364 days a year.

My wish is that NO ONe outside the game would cove any of it - Derby, BC,....what does the game lose? A few stupid hats and a crowd of A listers trying to get face time as being cool?

You do know what the A in A lister stands for, right?:rolleyes:

Inner Dirt
05-07-2017, 09:57 AM

When was that? I have been watching the INDY 500 every year for decades and don't remember that.

BIG49010
05-07-2017, 03:02 PM
When was that? I have been watching the INDY 500 every year for decades and don't remember that.
According to wikipedia live coverage began in 1986, you must be a youngster!

JustRalph
05-07-2017, 03:45 PM

It depended on your market. It was that way in Columbus Ohio in the 70's. We were a little over two hours from the speedway and the local affiliate would run a damn movie. We could hear it on the radio though.

They would then run the race at midnight after the local news. I was a teen and my parents wouldn't let me watch that late because my brothers and sisters would be kept up until 2-3a.

About 1980 they saw the success of the first Daytona 500 going live and they started running Indy live.

The 79 Daytona race with the huge blizzard, the big fight and all that entailed was a seminal moment for car racing everywhere.

dilanesp
05-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Even during N:puke:C live coverage, the failed to show some races.

No reason to not allow other to aside from NBC blatant greed and disrespect for the people who keep the game going the other 364 days a year.

My wish is that NO ONe outside the game would cove any of it - Derby, BC,....what does the game lose? A few stupid hats and a crowd of A listers trying to get face time as being cool?

You do know what the A in A lister stands for, right?:rolleyes:

I don't know the specifics of NBC's contract, but given the Derby gets a 10 rating which is gigantic for a Saturday afternoon, I suspect we are talking about a very significant amount of money to CDI's bottom line.

Fager Fan
05-07-2017, 07:55 PM
I don't know the specifics of NBC's contract, but given the Derby gets a 10 rating which is gigantic for a Saturday afternoon, I suspect we are talking about a very significant amount of money to CDI's bottom line.

NBC isn't getting any racing ratings when they're not showing racing.

It couldn't have been that difficult to allow a tiny cable channel (TVG) to show the races they weren't.

dilanesp
05-07-2017, 08:57 PM
NBC isn't getting any racing ratings when they're not showing racing.

It couldn't have been that difficult to allow a tiny cable channel (TVG) to show the races they weren't.

I'm pretty sure if NBC insists on contractual exclusivity that it must be worth something to them even if it sandbags TVG on the undercard. I have some guesses as to why, but I am not in the room so I can't be sure.

Inner Dirt
05-08-2017, 08:39 AM

According to wikipedia live coverage began in 1986, you must be a youngster!

Like Ralph said I think it varied my market. I was in California until 2010. I am not a youngster born in 1961 and followed sports when most kids were watching cartoons. I only remember listening to the 500 on the radio when we lived in the Palm Springs area 1968-73. I still find it hard to believe the race was on tape delay till I was 25. I could be wrong.