PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Kentucky Derby Beginner Guide (IT'S NOT PICKS!!!)

pmayjr
05-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Hi Guys.

The past few years I've made a beginner's guide to the Kentucky Derby. IT'S NOT MY PICKS OR PREDICTIONS. It gives a little bit on the basics of the race. Then I give an UNBIASED look at each horse. Positive points on each horse, and negatives. That way people can hopefully make a more informed decision on who they wanna bet on or cheer for.

I know it doesn't do much for most of you, because you guys really know your stuff. But I'm sure we all have friends, family, co-workers, etc that aren't into the sport, but are interested in the Derby. Feel free to pass this along to them to help them out.

I don't profit from this, and I don't even have a blog. I post it on another (non-horse racing) message board I frequent. But you don't need to belong to it or register for anything to view it.

Also- feel free to critique if you think I need to add something or cut something from it. But please remember, the target audience isn't for you guys, it's for novices and casual fans.

Thanks and good luck on Saturday!

https://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?90916-Kentucky-Derby-Beginner-Guide-2017-and-beyond&p=3138797&viewfull=1#post3138797

Lemon Drop Husker
05-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Hi Guys.

The past few years I've made a beginner's guide to the Kentucky Derby. IT'S NOT MY PICKS OR PREDICTIONS. It gives a little bit on the basics of the race. Then I give an UNBIASED look at each horse. Positive points on each horse, and negatives. That way people can hopefully make a more informed decision on who they wanna bet on or cheer for.

I know it doesn't do much for most of you, because you guys really know your stuff. But I'm sure we all have friends, family, co-workers, etc that aren't into the sport, but are interested in the Derby. Feel free to pass this along to them to help them out.

I don't profit from this, and I don't even have a blog. I post it on another (non-horse racing) message board I frequent. But you don't need to belong to it or register for anything to view it.

Also- feel free to critique if you think I need to add something or cut something from it. But please remember, the target audience isn't for you guys, it's for novices and casual fans.

Thanks and good luck on Saturday!

https://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?90916-Kentucky-Derby-Beginner-Guide-2017-and-beyond&p=3138797&viewfull=1#post3138797

Good stuff, but you're selling it waaaaaaay short.

This is far from a beginners or casual fan guide. IF that is the crowd you are looking for, then you are completely missing the target audience. They are looking for a 1 page brochure or beginners guide to bet.

If I'm doing a beginner's guide, I'd be short and sweet. That is what the "hopefully" new crowd that will take to horse racing will enjoy. Give them the interesting 3 or 4 favorites, and throw in a shot or two to pique their interest.

When you get that deep into playing the ponies (paragraphs on each horse), you lose every beginner or casual fan after 2 minutes. This is a slot machine world with cell pones, Instagram, Snapchat, and constant and instant communication between people 10s, if not 100s, if not thousands of miles apart.

Keep it less than 400 words, and a single page. Give 1 or 2 horses at best to WP (maybe even just W) and then 3 to 4 to do in an Exacta, maybe even an Exacta Box. Give them legit horses, horses with good stories.

Keep in mind, 5/1 on a single bet is huge for 1st time players, especially when it pays $12 or more at the payout window. Most even think 2/1 is incredible, much less just doubling their money at Odds On.

And lastly, if they are true beginners, they need to know how to bet. A link on how to make a W or Ex wager would be extremely helpful. Especially if it has a video.

gov135
05-04-2017, 08:35 PM
You forgot to say it is very fun. I enjoyed it, like a trip down memory lane. Thx.

garyscpa
05-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Yes, it was far from a beginner's guide. Very good and very detailed report. :ThmbUp:

pmayjr
05-05-2017, 12:33 AM
"tl;dr" is always a big concern.

But if you're actually looking to educate your self, even though there's a lot to read, I simplified the wording of the content.

I specifically avoided saying who I'd pick so anyone would feel comfortable to use it.

A beginner's guide doesn't go nearly as far with people if it seems like it's "Pete's Picks". That's why I specifically go out of my way to say "IT'S NOT PICKS".

I wish I could be more concise with some things, but since it's 1 time a year that most people care, I hope they're willing to spend a few minutes reading up.