PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Myeloma and My Family.

CincyHorseplayer
05-04-2017, 09:30 AM
There has been something I have wanted to share with everybody for a while. With Simon from TVG having multiple myeloma I am occasionally reminded of the disease when watching horse racing. Have been wanting to reach out to him but also to share this with this crowd. I have been on here since 2008. The year before that 2007 my mom was diagnosed with MM and the oncologist told her straight up she would need chemo and a stem cell transplant and life expectancy was 5 years tops. My mom literally told him F you that is unacceptable. She was mad and sad for obvious reasons but even more so because she was afraid she would never see any great grand children.

Fast forward to 2017, she has doubled the life expectancy, and the oncologist is telling her some new groundbreaking drugs are just around the corner. Something wouldn't dare iterate a decade ago. She has survived 2 stem cell transplants. Still works part time. Just got back from St George Island for 2 weeks vacation, and loves, as a German woman to have her beers and yes gamble in this family! Shocker since I play the horses all year. She is a pretty good handicapper! Point being her life is full and has not slowed her down and we are celebrating 10 years this spring.

Also I have a grandson whose 2nd birthday is this month and 2 weeks ago we found out my daughter is having twins in August(boy and girl) so my mom is getting to see those great grandbabies after all!

But while feeling so tremendously blessed myself not only to have my mom still but also to be getting a great sense of reverence and optimism myself with these grandbabies I wanted to share this story because I know multiple myeloma affects so many people out there. I have been in the hospitals for months and have seen the ravages on the cancer wards from older folks to young mothers in their 20's. But my message is one of hope. There is hope. Not just for new medical research but as it exists. My mom has had cancer 3 times and has survived and has thrived. MM is NOT a death sentence.

Just wanted to reach out to any of my fellow horseplayers whose lives this may affect. There is reason for optimism. And on Derby week I felt there was no better time to share this as waves of optimism are hitting me as I handicap this morning! Good luck in both the Derby and Oaks and in life my brethren!

Rod

wisconsin
05-04-2017, 09:52 AM
That's a good story to hear. Thank you for sharing and prayers to your mom as she battles on.

Inner Dirt
05-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Glad to hear your mom beating the odds, and cancer sucks.

johnhannibalsmith
05-04-2017, 11:25 AM
What a refreshingly optimistic, positive thing to read.

Keep the faith.

Jess Hawsen Arown
05-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Beautiful story. Yes, cancer is no longer an automatic death sentence. My wife and I both have different forms and we are moving right along.

Just make sure you look both ways when crossing the street. ;)

RunForTheRoses
05-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Great to hear this, you never know what medical advances may happen. Nice putting a human spin on that.