PDA

View Full Version : Andy Serling

ultracapper
05-03-2017, 02:19 PM
I've never shared this story before, because it's personal, and it was a private favor, from Andy to me. But after seeing the new and improved Andy Serling thread, I just felt the desire to share.

About 10 years ago my youngest son was in the 8th grade, and had to do a report on a "family interest". He chose my special little interest, horse racing. One of the segments of the report was to interview somebody, outside of the family, that was knowledgeable on the subject. I can't remember exactly how it came to Andy's attention, but one way or another, through the only contact I've ever had with him, a message board just like this, he offered to allow my son to call him, at his home, during off hours, in the evening, when New York is 3 hours ahead of us in Seattle, and let my son ask him some questions. Andy doesn't know me from Jack Robinson, but for him to do that was something I will always appreciate. I put in bold that one statement because it doesn't begin to convey how I really feel, but if I get too wordy, I'll screw it up. But I've stated many times on this board that I'm an unapologetic Andy Serling fan, and it's because of the kind of man he is. It has nothing to do with his handicapping or public persona.

Anyway, CJ can lock this one also, because I have no interest in being the initiator of another Andy Serling thread. But I did want to share this, and I hope it stays up for others to read.

cj
05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Thanks, that was nice of you to post.

Dahoss9698
05-03-2017, 03:42 PM
This post should give the jealous losers even more ammo but I consider Andy a friend. But even if he was not, I've never understood why other dudes devote so much time to hating on him.

It can really only be jealousy because what else would make grown men get so worked up about? He's got a pretty awesome job but it's not like he didn't work really hard to get there.

He's opinionated. So what? Isn't that what you want out of an analyst? Strong, educated opinions that are stood by? It's not like he takes himself too serious either...what other analyst would wear a dunce cap?

It's all kind of funny because he's so misunderstood.

woodtoo
05-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Its often the little things that make a big difference, like a phone call.:ThmbUp:

letswastemoney
05-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Andy once took my questions through a private message on Derby Trail for a Lady and the Track article (back when I used to write for them on a weekly basis).

I thought that was nice of him.

Tom
05-03-2017, 09:34 PM
The first time I met Andy, I was introduced to him by Suff, at our Toga get together this way:

"Andy, this is Tom. He doesn't like you!" :eek:

We had butted heads on this board a few times.
But sitting at the table next to him, listening to him talk about horse racing, his passion was undeniable. I could not justify my attitude about him. No one who loves the game as he obviously doses could be that bad. It must have been ME who missed the point.

He turned out to be a great guy and one who to this day I enjoy listening to and respect him as a person. He always treated me with respect every time we saw each other at Toga after that. No grudges, just a genuinely nice guy.

A tip o' my hat to Andy!:ThmbUp:

ultracapper
05-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Its often the little things that make a big difference, like a phone call.:ThmbUp:

It's the time, and the effort, to contribute, if only for a moment. I've seen him offer to many people on these public forums, an effort to help them make their one day at a NY track just a little better. It's commendable, and overwhelmingly trumps all the bullshit the petty ego seekers cry about when their positions may be challenged by him.

HuggingTheRail
05-04-2017, 11:41 AM
I LOVE him too.... :lol:

NTamm1215
05-04-2017, 11:47 AM
I'll say what some of you may agree with and some of you may not. I am biased because Andy is my friend, and it is surely due time he get some accolades here.

Andy Serling should rightfully be looked at as a handicapping pioneer, even as the 3rd member of a triumvirate with Steve Crist and Andy Beyer. He has made watching replays, using handicapping tools like DRF Formulator, and understanding trips part of the larger handicapping conversation during an era where technology has expanded.

Some of you may think you can do his job better than him. Some may think you're a better handicapper. It's OK, we all have strong opinions and should be willing to back them.

His passion for the game is endless and his willingness to interact with fans is admirable. He may not say what you like or deliver it the way you'd like for it to be delivered, but the positives far outweigh the negatives and the game is lucky to have him.

ultracapper
05-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Without even knowing it, he totally turned me on to replays. He would make statements about horses that would make no sense to me, not realizing he wasn't quoting the form. I'd wonder how the hell he deduced that from what I was looking at. Then I realized he was watching the race. Bang: enlightenment.

That was 10, 12 years ago. Best thing that ever happened to my game.

dilanesp
05-04-2017, 12:17 PM
It's the time, and the effort, to contribute, if only for a moment. I've seen him offer to many people on these public forums, an effort to help them make their one day at a NY track just a little better. It's commendable, and overwhelmingly trumps all the bullshit the petty ego seekers cry about when their positions may be challenged by him.

People are complex. It is possible for multiple things to all be true.

thaskalos
05-04-2017, 01:55 PM

Indeed. None of us are perfect...and we, at different times, deserve BOTH...the praise, AND the blame, for our behavior here. Serling is no different, in that regard.

EasyGoer89
05-04-2017, 02:33 PM
I'll say what some of you may agree with and some of you may not. I am biased because Andy is my friend, and it is surely due time he get some accolades here.

Andy Serling should rightfully be looked at as a handicapping pioneer, even as the 3rd member of a triumvirate with Steve Crist and Andy Beyer. He has made watching replays, using handicapping tools like DRF Formulator, and understanding trips part of the larger handicapping conversation during an era where technology has expanded.

Some of you may think you can do his job better than him. Some may think you're a better handicapper. It's OK, we all have strong opinions and should be willing to back them.

His passion for the game is endless and his willingness to interact with fans is admirable. He may not say what you like or deliver it the way you'd like for it to be delivered, but the positives far outweigh the negatives and the game is lucky to have him.

Andy is great at what he does and because of that, he makes it look easy, so that's why we all think 'hey I could do that' how hard could it be. It's much harder than people think, and the pressure to walk The fine line of not compromising the opinion with the personal relationships within the game is impossible to do for most people, how can you critique a horse or a ride or track mgmt when you have to see all these people in the hallway or paddock or even the local watering hole ?

Juggling a fair and balanced opinion in this regard is one of the most difficult tasks imaginable, Its very hard.

acorn54
05-04-2017, 02:45 PM
i always try to do toward others as i would want to be done to myself.
unfortunately for me that does not happen as much as i would like and other than the speed of light, bad karma is an absolute for me, anyway.

Robert Fischer
05-04-2017, 02:48 PM
He's on TV right now, analyzing Belmont Park's 4th race!

cj
05-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Since we're talking Andy, his Derby and Oaks analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjYvsnP3418

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hIVAB-5eM

ultracapper
05-04-2017, 09:54 PM

Very true. And I understand that being scolded, for a lack of a better word, by somebody that is publicly recognized, can sting a little more than if joe blow ultracapper calls you out. I understand all that. But sometimes we have to look at ourselves and ask if maybe we placed our lectern a little too high, or tried to show that we're plugged in at a little higher current than we really are, and the inevitable "prove it" was sure to come.

I've been called out here a number of times for statements I can't solidly support, most recently in the Chuck Berry thread. Though I stated something I know I've heard, and give credence to, I still had to step back because I can't prove something that hit somebody's nerve wrong. That's the way the game of "lookie what I know" or "aren't I the smart one" works. But it doesn't have to get vitriolic when your feelings get hurt, particularly when somebody has shown a very generous and considerate side of themselves.

If you want to be a "player", you're going to have to face the "real players" sooner or later.

Lemon Drop Husker
05-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Since we're talking Andy, his Derby and Oaks analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjYvsnP3418

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hIVAB-5eM

Good stuff. TY sir.

Can never doubt Andy's heart and love for horse racing. And his hard work spills out throughout on these links.

dilanesp
05-04-2017, 10:50 PM
While that's not exactly how I would describe my interactions with him, that's also not important. :) He's a notable person in the industry and a skilled handicapper, and I sincerely hope he finds his way back to the board.

onefast99
05-05-2017, 11:44 AM
While that's not exactly how I would describe my interactions with him, that's also not important. :) He's a notable person in the industry and a skilled handicapper, and I sincerely hope he finds his way back to the board.
I agree with you on this post 100%, I also haven't had many pleasant interactions with him but what he brings to the forum in knowledge alone makes him a very welcome addition!

HalvOnHorseracing
05-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Andy has longevity at NYRA, and I'd put that in the category of an accomplishment that underscores his talent. I know from experience it's a hard job and he does it well. I know a few immediately recognizable writers/handicappers who will monitor the posts but will not participate, by choice.

thespaah
05-06-2017, 10:18 PM
I've never shared this story before, because it's personal, and it was a private favor, from Andy to me. But after seeing the new and improved Andy Serling thread, I just felt the desire to share.

About 10 years ago my youngest son was in the 8th grade, and had to do a report on a "family interest". He chose my special little interest, horse racing. One of the segments of the report was to interview somebody, outside of the family, that was knowledgeable on the subject. I can't remember exactly how it came to Andy's attention, but one way or another, through the only contact I've ever had with him, a message board just like this, he offered to allow my son to call him, at his home, during off hours, in the evening, when New York is 3 hours ahead of us in Seattle, and let my son ask him some questions. Andy doesn't know me from Jack Robinson, but for him to do that was something I will always appreciate. I put in bold that one statement because it doesn't begin to convey how I really feel, but if I get too wordy, I'll screw it up. But I've stated many times on this board that I'm an unapologetic Andy Serling fan, and it's because of the kind of man he is. It has nothing to do with his handicapping or public persona.

Anyway, CJ can lock this one also, because I have no interest in being the initiator of another Andy Serling thread. But I did want to share this, and I hope it stays up for others to read.

Based on tweets back and forth and my face to face conversation with him at Saratoga last summer, I can tell you this, Andy Serling is a good guy. He was pleasant and willing to engage in a discussion regarding the early part of that day's card. Good back and forth. And he did this during the race program when his time is limited.

SuperPickle
05-06-2017, 11:21 PM
Full disclosure I don't know Andy, never met him but we have multiple friends and acquaintances.

My take on him has been simple. Andy can give it and he can take it and those people are few and far between these days. I think people simply don't know what to do with him.

shouldacoulda
05-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Years back, I couldn't stand him. Couldn't even listen to him, but he was always there on the screen and unavoidable. Then I heard him talking about his experiences talking about seeing Dr. Fager run at Aqueduct and as Tom stated above, his passion for the game was undeniable.

It's easy to judge somebody from a few minutes on the screen here and there, but you won't always be right in your conclusion. He does have a sarcastic sense of humor as do most New Yorkers, so I can see people in other parts of the country not understanding that. He does display humility here and there. My opinion of him has changed 180 degrees before this post. Maybe one day I will get to meet him. Who knows?

castaway01
05-07-2017, 11:00 AM
I would say that Andy does not suffer fools gladly. When he sees people online act like they know it all when they clearly can't tell which of the horse is which, he shoots them down. Is he blunt about it in a way some can't handle? Yes. But it's also pretty clear if you meet him in "real life" that he's a good, helpful guy. And to me that's what's important.

johnhannibalsmith
05-07-2017, 11:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX713WSACR8

EasyGoer89
05-07-2017, 11:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX713WSACR8

I'm jealous. I need my own song.

Send in the clowns maybe? :D

johnhannibalsmith
05-07-2017, 11:34 AM
I'm jealous. I need my own song.

Send in the clowns maybe? :D

;) :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

EasyGoer89
05-08-2017, 05:07 PM
;) :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

Ok I'm adopting this as the official SRU song! Thanks, I have a song now!

:headbanger:

ReplayRandall
05-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Ok I'm adopting this as the official SRU song! Thanks, I have a song now!

:headbanger:
When you're no longer here SRU, this is the song you'll be singing:

https://youtu.be/hFVuuRxM2VU