PDA

View Full Version : Classic Empire

PowerUpPaynter
05-01-2017, 09:49 AM
This horse has to be one of the least talked about expected favorites in a while. Think about it, we havent really talked much about him in this forum. Everything is Always Dreaming this and Always Dreaming that. Any news on how he has looked?

jay68802
05-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Classic Empire, the unanimous Eclipse Award-winning colt, breezed a half-mile in :49.20 at 6 a.m. with regular exercise rider Martin Rivera aboard in company with Perfect Performer (E.J. Bowler, :49.20) in an opening-quarter mile split of :24.40, before galloping out five furlongs in 1:03.

“His work gave me chills,” Casse said. “Now it’s a waiting game. It’s all about timing. I said a couple months ago when everyone was giving us a tough time, this is like a baseball game. It doesn’t matter how many runs you score, it just matters if you’re ahead in the last inning. I feel like we have the bases loaded.”

f2tornado
05-01-2017, 02:10 PM
He is the class of the field and I feel he is primed for a very live race. His final 1/8th in the Ark was one of the more impressive moves this season and the stopwatch confirms in about 12 2/5 seconds. The final time was only 2/5th off AP's time and 1/5th off Bodemeister while dealing with more adversity than either by handling traffic in the far turn and running 3-4 wide. RAN sire line and Buckpasser-x. Extremely hard to dismiss. He will join one or two others on top my tickets.

MNslappy
05-01-2017, 04:26 PM
One thing that struck me going back and watching his races is that he's already soundly beaten probably half the derby field going back to races last year. Have any of them improved enough to turn the tables on him at a mile and a quarter? I have my doubts. That certainly wasn't a dream trip in the Ark Derby either. I was more impressed rewatching it yesterday than I was a few weeks ago. He's a beast.

PowerUpPaynter
05-01-2017, 04:28 PM
One thing that struck me going back and watching his races is that he's already soundly beaten probably half the derby field going back to races last year. Have any of them improved enough to turn the tables on him at a mile and a quarter? I have my doubts. That certainly wasn't a dream trip in the Ark Derby either. I was more impressed rewatching it yesterday than I was a few weeks ago. He's a beast.

Sorta the same reason I like Practical Joke to run a good race. He has a great resume of derby horses he put in his rear view mirror already.

PhantomOnTour
05-01-2017, 05:07 PM
My main knock on Classic Empire:

since the advent of Beyer Speed Figures, only Sea Hero & Street Sense have won the Derby without equaling or improving on their best 2yr old Beyer prior to the Derby itself.
I don't think he has surpassed his fig for the BrCup Juvenile yet...so one can argue that he's no better than he was 7 months ago, while a lot of other runners are improving.

Just my two pennies

Julz
05-01-2017, 05:32 PM
I don't think he soundly beat conquest mo money, and Hence smoked conquest in the sun land derby, as well as Irap. He had to fight for Arkansas derby. Phantom is correct in that he has not come close to his 2 year old figure. I'm not saying he won't win, he may very well run away with it. My point is that if you are comparing races, then Hence probably looks best of all.