PDA

View Full Version : Fluids With Negative Mass

maddog42
04-30-2017, 05:46 AM
http://www.iflscience.com/physics/fluid-negative-mass-moves-backwards-pushed-forwards/

Greyfox
04-30-2017, 10:11 AM
http://www.iflscience.com/physics/fluid-negative-mass-moves-backwards-pushed-forwards/

Fascinating stuff that if it turns out to be true is very hard to for most of us conventional thinkers to get our minds around.
Thanks for posting that maddog. :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
04-30-2017, 10:27 AM
A startling reality.

It was very difficult for my mind to process this because it gets clogged up on the idea of pushing it forward causes it to go backward. My mind's eye sees that as pushing a blocking sled carrying (say) 400 lbs of weight and having the sled wind up behind you.

What really messed with my mind was the fact that I am in the way! How does it get past me?

But in fluid mechanics, things are different as the the fluid simply comes backwards in my direction and flows around me.

Still, the mental picture is difficult to grasp.

Thanks for the cool idea to think about.

JustRalph
04-30-2017, 06:55 PM
When this first came out I thought it was bullshit.

After a week.......I still do.....if it's true then a re-write of some other laws of nature are needed.

Just like dark matter........show me........

RunForTheRoses
04-30-2017, 08:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOGxePBs50

maddog42
05-01-2017, 07:51 AM

After a week.......I still do.....if it's true then a re-write of some other laws of nature are needed.

Things like surface tension can cause things to react funny. At the sub-atomic level weird shit happens. Things like dark matter were theorized to keep the Standard Model (which explains so many phenomenon). Science isn't always right, but it is the best we have. Some scientific theories defy common sense, but end up being correct like relativity. I am skeptical about Dark Matter also but sometimes the foo shits.

maddog42
05-01-2017, 07:57 AM
I was only partially right about the Standard Model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_beyond_the_Standard_Model

tucker6
05-01-2017, 08:22 AM

I was skeptical of dark matter too, but when you have a gravitational pull where none should exist, something is missing from the equation. Dark matter explains it, but as you say, show it to me. Like all great theories and such, the proof timeline can lag the theory by many years. We may be dead by the time the truth is known.

barahona44
05-01-2017, 11:26 AM

Dark lives matter! :)

OK,I'll go away now.

Actor
05-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Dark lives matter! :)Dark matter lives! :cool:

Actor
05-01-2017, 04:31 PM
...if it's true then a re-write of some other laws of nature are needed.Not really.

f = ma

implies

a = f / m

Therefore a positive force f applied to a negative matter m results in a negative acceleration a.

Jeff P
05-01-2017, 07:46 PM
A strange thought occurred to me after reading the article...

If you use a laser to super cool enough of this stuff's nuclei at a (sub) atomic level:

Supposedly it behaves as if it has negative mass.

If so:

How does this stuff react to gravity?

Does gravity pull it downward and closer to the center of the Earth like everything else?

If it really does behave as if it has negative mass, I wonder if there's any chance gravity might repel it - away from the center of the Earth upwards towards space?

At least until enough of its nuclei begins to warm again.

At which point I presume it would then start behaving like everything else.

-jp

Lose The Juice
05-01-2017, 09:16 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2290/2125423904_4bbd2d7299.jpg

Fluids? :headbanger:

_______
05-01-2017, 10:16 PM
A strange thought occurred to me after reading the article...

If you use a laser to super cool enough of this stuff's nuclei at a (sub) atomic level:

Supposedly it behaves as if it has negative mass.

If so:

How does this stuff react to gravity?

Does gravity pull it downward and closer to the center of the Earth like everything else?

If it really does behave as if it has negative mass, I wonder if there's any chance gravity might repel it - away from the center of the Earth upwards towards space?

At least until enough of its nuclei begins to warm again.

At which point I presume it would then start behaving like everything else.

-jp

Einstein taught us to think of gravity this way:

Imagine a sheet of paper with a ball bearing on it. The paper warps around the ball bearing. Anything traveling in a straight line falls toward the warping and is either deflected in it's path or captured.

The paper is space/time. The ball bearing is anything with mass.

Don't think of gravity as a force that pulls on things. It's more a hole created by objects that other objects (which have their own warping of space/time) fall toward.

I'm not sure the analogy you propose works.

tucker6
05-02-2017, 05:11 AM
Einstein taught us to think of gravity this way:

Imagine a sheet of paper with a ball bearing on it. The paper warps around the ball bearing. Anything traveling in a straight line falls toward the warping and is either deflected in it's path or captured.

The paper is space/time. The ball bearing is anything with mass.

Don't think of gravity as a force that pulls on things. It's more a hole created by objects that other objects (which have their own warping of space/time) fall toward.

I'm not sure the analogy you propose works.

Not a hole but a distortion in the space/time fabric.

JustRalph
07-02-2017, 10:00 AM

http://www.newsweek.com/dark-energy-exist-einstein-general-relativity-630260?utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

More skepticism

classhandicapper
07-02-2017, 03:32 PM
We may be dead by the time the truth is known.

It's also quite possible that each of us will find out the truth when we die. That's my preferred outcome, though I'm willing to wait quite awhile. ;)