PDA

View Full Version : R8 Bemont $150K Elusive Quality

Lemon Drop Husker
04-29-2017, 06:32 AM
The Grand Lady is open, and we get good racing from the very start.

Only 9 in here, but a winner is a tough one to find in this field:

:1: Kharata: Likes to hang around and be in the mix. Just doesn't ever do the deed.

:2: Greenpointcrusader: A big early name on the Derby Trail last year. Looks like a complete money burner.

:3: Siding Spring: Getting better and like the :2:, much has been expected.

:4: Never Gone South: Gamer. Supposedly over-matched in here.

:5: Disco Partner: Fits. He always fits. Can he win?

:6: Alex the Terror: 7F may well be his limit, and he may well be good enough to do it. The MTOer need this to come off the grass, and if it does, he could be a single.

:7: Great Wide Open: His first in the states makes ICE laugh.

:8: Calgary Cat: Class of the field. Should sit well back and come late like a turf pro. The one to beat.

:9: Hammers Vision: A 4YO on the turf, early in his 4YO season is always interesting to me. Rosario in the irons, I see this one as having a massive shot to beat these. 5/1 or better, it is a must play.

SUMMARY: Taking the :9:. Gonna throw in the :6::3: with him.

PhantomOnTour
04-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Sadly, I see no value here at all, esp with two MTO's that will reduce this field to a max of seven runners.
If you think the :3: is a serious pace threat i suppose he could be played, but this looks like a PASS for me.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-29-2017, 11:20 AM
:1: Kharafa has run well fresh, and made his 2016 debut in this race, losing by five lengths. He's definitely a horse for course, but his downside is that he tends to be more of a bridesmaid than a bride.

:3: Siding Spring should be the speed here, and has wired fields at 7 1/2 furlongs. If he has things his own way on the front he'll be dangerous.

:5: Disco Partner switches over to the Clement barn for this run, and Clement is good with his new charges. He's no value at 2-1 ML, and while he has a win at the distance at BEL he might be more comfortable with a furlong less to run. He seems to have an affinity for the BEL turf and is graded stakes placed.

:8: Calgary Cat never really had a chance in the BC Turf Sprint last year but he still made a good accounting of himself. In that race he broke from the 6 position, didn't show any interest in keeping up with the faster breakers, was quickly shut off and stayed well back until the stretch run. Coming out of the turn he had to go very wide - the comment says four wide, but he ultimately had to go widest of all - and made a desperate close to get the fourth place finish. He's had graded stakes success in his native Canada. The only real question is whether the 7F distance will allow him to show his best race, but if he is in shape, he has every right to win this race.

The projected finish:

:8:
:1:
:3:
:5:

Secondbest
04-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Going to go with the 4 Never Gone South .First time turf by Munnings who is 12% with first time turf. Ran a 101 bris on the dirt 2 back. One negative is trainer is only 6% dirt to turf. However at 15-1 ML a small win with an exacta under the two chalks looks worth it. Anything less than 12-1 no bet.

Andy Asaro
04-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Lack of pace in the race.

:3: Sliding Spring should be on or near the lead. :9: Hammers Vision might be close to the pace today.

Works on comebackers :5: Disco Partner and :8: Calgary Cat seem to favor Calgary Cat (0-17 with 61 to 180 days off) with some sharp works but Trainer stats say Disco Partner (22% off 61- 180 days).

Have to use :3:,:8:,:9: and might toss in the :4:Never Gone South. Will likely bet :9: Hammers Vision at 6-1 or more.

Good luck

storyline
04-29-2017, 02:07 PM
The :4: horse "Never Gone South" tries turf for the first time and will be a price.

I'll play him to win with x's underneath to the :3: :5: and :8:

Ocala Mike
04-29-2017, 04:57 PM
:9: W/P for me.

Lemon Drop Husker
04-29-2017, 05:07 PM
:9: looks fabulous

Secondbest
04-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Going to go with the 4 Never Gone South .First time turf by Munnings who is 12% with first time turf. Ran a 101 bris on the dirt 2 back. One negative is trainer is only 6% dirt to turf. However at 15-1 ML a small win with an exacta under the two chalks looks worth it. Anything less than 12-1 no bet.

Ran dead last. Never a factor.Good thing he was 10-1 .So no bet for me . Not betting a loser it's like winning