PDA

View Full Version : increase at Oaklawn this year

lamboguy
04-25-2017, 01:39 PM
http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Oaklawn_Park_Closes_Out_2017_Season_with_Increase_ in_Handle_123#

this increase in handle came from the ontrack show pools because they lowered the takeout and wound up with less breakage as well. interesting.

they also have the luxury of large field sizes and their races are pretty interesting with all the places that the horses are coming from.

Jeff P
04-25-2017, 02:21 PM
An increase in on track business because of reduced takeout on the show pool.

Imagine that.

-jp

green80
04-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Hopefully some of the other tracks will follow Oaklawns lead.

Augenj
04-25-2017, 03:37 PM

Imagine that.

-jp

The California Horse Racing Board

dilanesp
04-25-2017, 04:52 PM

Imagine that.

-jp

What are you talking about? The handle clearly increased because they hired a better announcer.

lamboguy
04-25-2017, 05:52 PM
What are you talking about? The handle clearly increased because they hired a better announcer.no doubt Vic had something to do with the increase, but the track management were the smart ones to hire him and come up with that show gimmick and probably more that we don't know about.

HuggingTheRail
04-25-2017, 05:58 PM
What are you talking about? The handle clearly increased because they hired a better announcer.

Sharp post :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

:headbanger:

Jeff P
04-25-2017, 07:33 PM
That was actually pretty funny. :)

-jp

Nitro
04-25-2017, 07:35 PM
http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Oaklawn_Park_Closes_Out_2017_Season_with_Increase_ in_Handle_123#

this increase in handle came from the ontrack show pools because they lowered the takeout and wound up with less breakage as well. interesting.

they also have the luxury of large field sizes and their races are pretty interesting with all the places that the horses are coming from.Yes, very interesting!
I had wondered why the developer of the tote analysis I fervently use had revised the Oaklawn program. Now it’s no a longer a mystery as to why it provided so many valued results. It was certainly on target for the majority of races on specific days f the week.
What are you talking about? The handle clearly increased because they hired a better announcer.No doubt about it!

NTamm1215
04-25-2017, 07:50 PM
no doubt Vic had something to do with the increase, but the track management were the smart ones to hire him and come up with that show gimmick and probably more that we don't know about.

Hate to break it to you, but he had nothing to do with it.

SoCalCircuit
04-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Hate to break it to you, but he had nothing to do with it.

What are you talking about? All Vic's betting on the live races while working has to be the source of the increase.

NTamm1215
04-25-2017, 07:56 PM
What are you talking about? All Vic's betting on the live races while working has to be the source of the increase.

Well done.

castaway01
04-26-2017, 09:15 AM
The show bet bonus is actually a pretty clever idea by Oaklawn. From what I read, the take for on-track show bets went from about 17% to 10% (Oaklawn would not disclose the exact formula) and handle on show bets went up 34%. Since it was only for on-track bettors, Oaklawn didn't have to deal with the ADWs taking almost all of the profit and/or complaining about their income going down (since they make takeout minus signal fee percentage). It would only really work at places like Keeneland or Saratoga that have actual human beings at a racetrack, but it's a cool idea that they'll hopefully expand in logical ways (i.e., to other pools).

dilanesp
04-26-2017, 11:48 AM
The show bet bonus is actually a pretty clever idea by Oaklawn. From what I read, the take for on-track show bets went from about 17% to 10% (Oaklawn would not disclose the exact formula) and handle on show bets went up 34%. Since it was only for on-track bettors, Oaklawn didn't have to deal with the ADWs taking almost all of the profit and/or complaining about their income going down (since they make takeout minus signal fee percentage). It would only really work at places like Keeneland or Saratoga that have actual human beings at a racetrack, but it's a cool idea that they'll hopefully expand in logical ways (i.e., to other pools).

Of course racetracks should reward live customers. They buy food, parking, admission, programs, and stuff at the gift shop. The way it stands now, with rebate shops offering the lowest takeout, is perverse.

thespaah
04-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Imagine the increase in handle if Oaklawn( a rather ironic name) installed a turf course

lamboguy
04-27-2017, 08:06 AM
at first when they first started the boost in on track show payoffs i didn't think that the show pool was much different. after a couple of days of seeing the bigger payoffs it exploded to over $40k per race on regular days.

the show handle went up and other pools didn't suffer. they will probably try the place pool next and maybe even the win pool.

those straight pools have always been the backbone of the racing business and its good to see that Oaklawn is making an attempt to shore those pools back up. i have to give them credit for coming up with this and probably some other places will try the same thing.

o_crunk
04-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Hard to say the gains at OP are related directly to show wagering.

They added a Pick 5, which replaced something called the Classix. The Classix in 2016 handled $250K total. The Pick 5 in 2017 handled $2.5M total. So that's where the lion share of increases came from. The WPS pool did improve 3.8% total ($2.7M). All other bet types up as well, led by the Pick 3 (+11%, $660K), Exacta (+1.5%, $700K), Superfecta (+5%, $1M), etc etc.

clarkd32
04-27-2017, 07:35 PM
anyone see any attendance figures for 2017 meet?