PDA

View Full Version : This website is exactly what you make of it...YOU and only YOU...not me

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2017, 10:07 AM
I would just like to state something for the record. All those complaining about message boards or twitter or this website or whatever...BLAME YOURSELVES.

Don't blame me. This website, and everywhere else you go...it's made up OF ALL OF YOU.

If ALL OF YOU wanted to have quality conversations about upcoming races, or handicapping principles, or the state of affairs of the world (in off topic), it's UP TO YOU to start those kinds of threads, and contribute quality content to it.

It's up to ME to rid the board of people and comments that are not appropriate.

It's up to YOU to NOT RESPOND to bullshit and troll replies. Once you start RESPONDING, it blows up quickly...then when I show up, or another moderator shows up, I don't have just ONE troll comment or inappropriate post to delete, now I have all these REPLIES and BACK AND FORTH from the very people who are now going to COMPLAIN what a cesspool this place is...and BLAME ME for not being around 24/7 to delete every single thing that upsets them.

Here's a novel idea...LET SOME THINGS GO...ignore the BS, and it will get deleted within a few hours at best. And the repeat offenders will eventually be kicked off the island.

But don't go around blaming me for what ALL OF YOU decide to post here...ALL OF YOU make this place EXACTLY WHAT IT IS...good and bad alike.

thaskalos
04-25-2017, 10:21 AM
I would just like to state something for the record. All those complaining about message boards or twitter or this website or whatever...BLAME YOURSELVES.

Don't blame me. This website, and everywhere else you go...it's made up OF ALL OF YOU.

If ALL OF YOU wanted to have quality conversations about upcoming races, or handicapping principles, or the state of affairs of the world (in off topic), it's UP TO YOU to start those kinds of threads, and contribute quality content to it.

It's up to YOU to NOT RESPOND to bullshit and troll replies. Once you start RESPONDING, it blows up quickly...then when I show up, or another moderator shows up, I don't have just ONE troll comment or inappropriate post to delete, now I have all these REPLIES and BACK AND FORTH from the very people who are now going to COMPLAIN what a cesspool this place is...and BLAME ME for not being around 24/7 to delete every single thing that upsets them.

Here's a novel idea...LET SOME THINGS GO...ignore the BS, and it will get deleted within a few hours at best. And the repeat offenders will eventually be kicked off the island.

But don't go around blaming me for what ALL OF YOU decide to post here...ALL OF YOU make this place EXACTLY WHAT IT IS...good and bad alike.

Sure. Now, WE are responsible for what this place has become. We should "BLAME OURSELVES"...because this website is made up of "ALL OF US".

But in that OTHER thread...you told Murph that "YOU can do whatever you WANT here". "YOUR world...YOUR house...YOUR rules...YOUR whims"...you said.

Will you please make up your mind, PA?

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Sure. Now, WE are responsible for what this place has become. We should "BLAME OURSELVES"...because this website is made up of "ALL OF US".

But in that OTHER thread...you told Murph that "YOU can do whatever you WANT here". "YOUR world...YOUR house...YOUR rules...YOUR whims"...you said.

Will you please make up your mind, PA?Nothing to make up. My only goal when starting this place was to get it to the point where MY CONTENT wasn't what drove this place, but all of YOURS. And it reached that point many, many years ago.

My posts are but a fraction of the overall content here.

Yes, the collective YOU are responsible for how good or how bad this place gets. 100%

Greyfox
04-25-2017, 10:38 AM
The website's quality is determined to a point by the quality of the responses on various threads.

PA has stated that the quality is based on "You and You Only...Not me."
That would be totally true if PA never made interjections and commentaries on various threads here and there.
To date that is not the case.
I enjoy his contributions even when I don't agree with some of them.
So PA has to assume some responsibility along with the rest of us for the quality of various threads.

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2017, 10:42 AM
The website's quality is determined to a point by the quality of the responses on various threads.

That would be totally true if PA never made interjections and commentaries on various threads here and there.
So PA has to assume some responsibility along with the rest of us for the quality of various threads.OK, that makes sense. Since I am also a contributor here, I am also responsible for the website quality and since I am also the admin, I share in that responsibility as well.

BUT, my point is, it's all of you that have WAY MORE CONTROL over the direction this website goes, and the quality of the content, then I can EVER hope to have.

If you all want to get into flame wars constantly, there is very little I can do to stop it...yes, I can delete posts and ban people, but it just cycles over and over again because people REFUSE to STOP ENGAGING what are obviously useless contributions. But hey, who am I to stop you? It's obvious that at times, this is what people want, because they get so worked up and post machine-gun rapid style in response to the slightest troll posting. You guys love this, apparently.

Can't get enough of it...then you all cry about what a dump this place is...

Greyfox
04-25-2017, 10:47 AM
..then you all cry about what a dump this place is...

My guess is that the vast majority of contributors here are quite thankful that the site exists and are satisfied with it.
You can't please every one though and I can see where it must get tiring responding to those few squeaky wheels who keep demanding grease.
No one's perfect but from what I've seen, you're doing a good job for the most part. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
04-25-2017, 10:51 AM

So PA has to assume some responsibility along with the rest of us for the quality of various threads.

:ThmbUp: I couldn't agree more.

The only thing that I, personally, find "wrong" with this site is PA's refusal to instill some sort of "order" in the off-topic section of this forum. He treats the off-topics section as if it were another site altogether, and even instigates some of the arguments there...without realizing that the hostility that's allowed to brew there is bound to infiltrate into the racing side of the forum.

The posters are allowed to "take the gloves off" when they visit the off-topics, and then they are expected to rediscover their civility when they return to the horseracing section of the site...as if human behavior could be altered at the drop of a hat.

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2017, 10:53 AM
I guess I'm snow blind then. I don't see off-topic as hostile as you see it. Strong differences of opinion, yes. And that should be encouraged.

Maybe I can interest you in becoming an off-topic moderator? cj doesn't like to go in there...:lol:

thaskalos
04-25-2017, 10:55 AM
I guess I'm snow blind then. I don't see off-topic as hostile as you see it. Strong differences of opinion, yes. And that should be encouraged.

Maybe I can interest you in becoming an off-topic moderator? cj doesn't like to go in there...:lol:

You don't see the off-topics as being "hostile"...but you notice the hostility in the racing side of the forum? That's funny.

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2017, 10:58 AM
You don't see the off-topics as being "hostile"...but you notice the hostility in the racing side of the forum? That's funny.I said "as hostile" as you. You seem to think there is a major problem in there, that somehow carries over to horses. I don't see that either (the carryover, not that there isn't some hostility in both).

I don't see where off-topic is to blame for racing and vice versa.

thaskalos
04-25-2017, 11:10 AM
I said "as hostile" as you. You seem to think there is a major problem in there, that somehow carries over to horses. I don't see that either (the carryover, not that there isn't some hostility in both).

I don't see where off-topic is to blame for racing and vice versa.

You can't overlook (and even cultivate) the hostility in one part of your site...while endeavoring to maintain civility on the rest of the board. You either want your guests to be CIVIL here...or you DON'T. This "distinction" between "on-topic" and "off-topic" exists only in your MIND...because this is still the same website. And this notion that "we all cry about what a dump this place is" exists only in your mind as well. NONE of us have ever called this place a "dump".

AndyC
04-25-2017, 12:04 PM
You can't overlook (and even cultivate) the hostility in one part of your site...while endeavoring to maintain civility on the rest of the board. You either want your guests to be CIVIL here...or you DON'T. This "distinction" between "on-topic" and "off-topic" exists only in your MIND...because this is still the same website. And this notion that "we all cry about what a dump this place is" exists only in your mind as well. NONE of us have ever called this place a "dump".

Why must both sides of the forum be homogenous? Do you really believe that a reaction to "what do you look for in turf sprints" would elicit the same emotional (civil) response that a topic such as "ban all muslims" would. I for one appreciate the differences between the two forums. It's nice to be able to express an opinion without the PC police knocking it down.

sour grapes
04-25-2017, 12:07 PM
i agree the off topics is only reflecting the great divide in america.

thaskalos
04-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Why must both sides of the forum be homogenous? Do you really believe that a reaction to "what do you look for in turf sprints" would elicit the same emotional (civil) response that a topic such as "ban all muslims" would. I for one appreciate the differences between the two forums. It's nice to be able to express an opinion without the PC police knocking it down.

I speak for myself here...and I voice my OWN opinion. And my opinion is that gathering a bunch of guys in an online forum so they could call each other "idiot" isn't "nice"...nor is it an appropriate way of publicly expressing a view-point. But, hey...as I've said to you before...you are entitled to your OWN opinions about things...and you are welcomed to disagree with me.

I speak for me here...and you speak for you.

DeltaLover
04-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Some of my comments about what I think that is needed for PA to become an even better site:

Moderation policy needs to be changed:

https://stackoverflow.blog/2009/05/18/a-theory-of-moderation/
https://stackoverflow.com/help/whats-reputation

The forum software is antiquated. See the following for better approaches:

https://www.reddit.com/
https://news.ycombinator.com/
http://stackoverflow.com/
http://flarum.org/features/

Redundant thread topics.Topics must comply to specific guidelines that must be applied strictly.

https://stackexchange.com/tour

Off topics create a lot of noise and need much stricter moderation.
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136470

Lack of RSS feed.
https://problogger.com/what-is-rss/

AndyC
04-25-2017, 01:42 PM
.....I speak for me here...and you speak for you.

I don't recall speaking for you.

sammy the sage
04-25-2017, 09:19 PM

This is SO TRUE...good points by Thaskalos....

newtothegame
04-26-2017, 08:11 AM
For whatever its worth, here are my two cents...(and not even sure its pure copper) lol
There is a HUGE difference between the horse racing side and the off topic side. Mostly the difference occurs in peoples passion about topics as the off topic side affects us much more then the horse racing side. Last years derby winner has NO impact on me, my family, or my life. However, most of the topics that are brought up in off topic do! Therefore, that side of the forum will have much more passion involved. That passion sometimes degrades into people being not so "nice".
However, I would suggest that terms like "nice" and 'mean", "ugly" whatever you wish to use are subjective. It is up to the moderators to determine what is appropriate and not appropriate. I would live by whatever they decide as long as it is even handed. I would also suggest a warning before removing a persons right to post along with the "offensive" term or terms used.
I personally love off topic as it truly gives a good representation of what makes this country great. Difference of opinions and varying backgrounds.
At one point or another, I am sure I have disagreed with EVERYONE. I usually allow my verbage or wording to follow what was thrown at me. Call me an idiot and ill call you one right back! I can keep it above water or as far in the mud as anyone wishes to take it.
I say let off topic be off topic and let racing be racing...they are totally separate in my mind!

onefast99
04-26-2017, 11:26 AM
I have to ask the million dollar question, What brought you over to PA in the first place? Was it the information you could obtain from reading the racing forum combined with sharing your ideas and thoughts on anything and everything related to horse racing or was it the ability to say anything you want in the off topic forum where mud slinging is a daily event? I prefer the racing side!

therussmeister
04-26-2017, 01:56 PM
If this were my site I'd get rid of the off topic forums entirely except the poker and computer forums.

I know my biggest regret here was venturing into off topic forums. I was a member for about six months before I did.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-26-2017, 03:04 PM

I'll just say from my experience, the off-topic threads can be rife with anger, hostility and name calling, and it comes from people on all points on the political continuum. I came to the realization that most of the conversation was not about a spirited intellectual debate on the issues. Most people weren't interested in doing more than reinforcing their position while making fun of the opposite side. The participation also felt overwhelmingly from one side.

My solution was to simply stop participating. It was hard at first but I'm really far better off (and perhaps the off topic threads are too) for limiting my participation to the horseracing side only.

newtothegame
04-26-2017, 05:15 PM
If this were my site I'd get rid of the off topic forums entirely except the poker and computer forums.

I know my biggest regret here was venturing into off topic forums. I was a member for about six months before I did.

Serious question......
Why get rid of something that you don't even participate in?
That's the great thing about each and every individual thread. Everyone has a CHOICE as to whether they wish to participate. You choose not to and that's awesome for you. But why limit it to those of us who do?
Isnt that a form of censorship?

Tom
04-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Very early on here, I got into it with Whitehos and PA.

We ended up apologizing and having posts deleted.
The skeleton of the thread.....:rip:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

burnsy
04-26-2017, 07:56 PM

Totally agree, the off topic deal should not even be here. Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence. This should be a sports and handicapping site. Someone comes on here and says that crap influences their life more than horse racing? Speak for yourself buddy, go to some BS political blog and go back and forth with all the brain trusts on there. I value my time too much to listen or read that crap. Although I have made a few comments pointing out how futile and ridiculous it is. People really believe all that crap makes difference? That's just hilarious. Like any of that really matters. Its more important that I hit a few races then pay attention to that nonsense any day. You have Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the two parties in that order.........give me a break, passionate over which side bends you over....that's a hoot........I hate to burst the bubble.......there is no difference ....figure it out

JustRalph
04-26-2017, 08:24 PM
If the game was thriving, this and many other threads wouldn't even exist.

Tom
04-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Totally agree, the off topic deal should not even be here. Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence. This should be a sports and handicapping site. Someone comes on here and says that crap influences their life more than horse racing? Speak for yourself buddy, go to some BS political blog and go back and forth with all the brain trusts on there. I value my time too much to listen or read that crap

So who is making go to OT?
I'll tell you who - YOU.
You have not got will power to stay away. You waste your time because you do not self control to stay away. IF you stay on the racing site, it is exactly the site you want it to be.

But as PA aptly said, it is to you what YOU make to be.

No one is to blame for your life's failure but you.
The BS here is highlighted for you to read easily, so as not waste too much of your precious time.

HAND.

thespaah
04-26-2017, 11:11 PM

"and BLAME ME for not being around 24/7 to delete every single thing that upsets them."
Ahh. The delicate flower thingy.....Yep there seems to be a particular type of personality that believes they have the right to NOT be exposed to things that make them uncomfortable.
The result goes one or two ways.
1. They tattle to the people in charge
2. Instead of dismissing or ignoring, they feel compelled to respond in an effort to shut up the offending individual. At that point the thread in question spirals downward, circling the bowl.
Invariably this type of person takes to complaining to others. Offering their low opinion of the message board. Irony....THEY themselves are part of the problem.....That's a head scratcher.
My policy is to ignore the troll, etc. In almost every instance, they eventually go away.....No cesspool. All is right with the world.

kingfin66
04-27-2017, 01:18 AM

Simply stated, you are frustrated about the tone of the discourse that you have been seeing lately. I understand that. Your message begs a response, and I am going to keep mine simple. I understand where you are coming from and will do my best to contribute in a positive manner, or possibly just not contribute at all and be a lurker. The one thing that I would ask of you is that you consider what Thaskalos and others have said regarding OT. I am not advocating removing it as it seems at least, if not more, popular than the horseracing part of Pace Advantage. I do think that the tone of OT does spill over into the racing section even if political talk is not allowed. I understand that you do not necessarily agree with this. My recommended solution would be to moderate the entire site; OT and racing in the same, fair (you are nothing if not fair), as close to consistent manner possible.

The Triple Crown is coming next week. We should all try to use it as a starting point to excellent racing discussion and embrace the enjoyable events that the sport has to offer.

Good night.

Dahoss9698
04-27-2017, 07:36 AM
Totally agree, the off topic deal should not even be here. Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence. This should be a sports and handicapping site. Someone comes on here and says that crap influences their life more than horse racing? Speak for yourself buddy, go to some BS political blog and go back and forth with all the brain trusts on there. I value my time too much to listen or read that crap. Although I have made a few comments pointing out how futile and ridiculous it is. People really believe all that crap makes difference? That's just hilarious. Like any of that really matters. Its more important that I hit a few races then pay attention to that nonsense any day. You have Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the two parties in that order.........give me a break, passionate over which side bends you over....that's a hoot........I hate to burst the bubble.......there is no difference ....figure it out

Sharp post.

Amusing watching how "passionate" people are about ganging up on people that lean a different way politically and watching them think they're actually doing something other than reinforcing their own beliefs.

Different strokes I guess.

burnsy
04-27-2017, 07:50 AM
So who is making go to OT?
I'll tell you who - YOU.
You have not got will power to stay away. You waste your time because you do not self control to stay away. IF you stay on the racing site, it is exactly the site you want it to be.

But as PA aptly said, it is to you what YOU make to be.

No one is to blame for your life's failure but you.
The BS here is highlighted for you to read easily, so as not waste too much of your precious time.

HAND.

True, and for about 98% of the time I do stay away........as I said , I make a few comments just to point out how dumb that crap is. But I'll stick to my major premise. There are tons and tons of that political crap on here, you can watch that garbage 24/7 on TV and even choose which inaccurate "spin" you want. and even call it the "news" :lol:. But lets face reality, how many forums or coverage is there of horse racing? This should be a HORSE RACING FORUM, there are literally thousands of places to quibble over the other nonsense. I'm guessing there's more than one other person that agrees with me. If I want the "WWE" BS, I can find that every where. :lol:

newtothegame
04-27-2017, 07:58 AM
You don't need to use "someone",,,I don't hide what I said, nor am I vague.
I said that off topic, is more passionate for some as those topics affect their lives more then horse racing. If racing affects your life more, then so be it. That's why there is a horse racing side.
I enjoy the off topic side much more as those topics affect MY life more then horse racing. Sorry if that offends you.
Then you go on to say " Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence". Now please tell us how that is any different then calling someone an "idiot" in off topic? Or is it that because you chose different nomenclature that you are somehow above the fray??
You don't have to read off topic...that's the great part!
I never said either party supports me. I have consistently said that both parties are the problem. Yet you tell me to speak for myself, yet now your putting words into my mouth....that is the hilarious part!!
Have fun in the racing section and may you have as many winners as possible.
Rock on sir!

newtothegame
04-27-2017, 08:02 AM
True, and for about 98% of the time I do stay away........as I said , I make a few comments just to point out how dumb that crap is. But I'll stick to my major premise. There are tons and tons of that political crap on here, you can watch that garbage 24/7 on TV and even choose which inaccurate "spin" you want. and even call it the "news" :lol:. But lets face reality, how many forums or coverage is there of horse racing? This should be a HORSE RACING FORUM, there are literally thousands of places to quibble over the other nonsense. I'm guessing there's more than one other person that agrees with me. If I want the "WWE" BS, I can find that every where. :lol:
Up top...that forum button, allows you to view (or not) whatever you like sir....

Fager Fan
04-27-2017, 08:38 AM
I side with the crowd that says to not go there if it doesn't interest you. I've only visited 4 sections here. General racing, TC, handicapping, and general off topic. Some of those I don't visit currently (handicapping and off topic). Pick and choose what interests you. You shouldn't ask for forum to be removed because you don't like them. Others do.

castaway01
04-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Great post Burnsy.

Off topic is a joke and poisons the rest of the site.

I'll say it again for the special snowflakes who are typing "Don't read it then". IT POISONS THE REST OF THE SITE. You know, the important part of it, the horse racing part. Even if you don't read off topic, people carry their petty grudges over here as well as the tone of their replies.

There are plenty of political sites that do politics much, much better than the pointless, mindless ranting here. However, no site does horse racing better. To allow the garbage side of the site to ruin the rest of it is misguided.

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Off topic is a joke and poisons the rest of the site.I completely disagree

Even if you don't read off topic, people carry their petty grudges over here as well as the tone of their replies. I completely disagree as well. There have been people that have gone at each other in OT but on the horse racing side they are helping each other out.

Let me give you something to think about.

People will carry into the horse racing section WHATEVER IS GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES at the moment, good or bad.

Do you think the nonstop bashing of certain racing personalities or certain horse racing venues or certain jockeys or certain poor rides or certain announcers has ANYTHING to do with grudges being carried over from OFF TOPIC?

99% of the time I would say that it does NOT.

And yet, that kind of stuff is the stuff a LOT of people complain about...it's the kind of stuff that has caused certain people to stop posting. And it has nothing to do with grudges carrying over from off topic.

What happens in OT is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to the quality of the racing topics.

It's a total straw man as far as I'm concerned, at least as it pertains to the topic of this thread.

kingfin66
04-27-2017, 10:07 AM
I think it is the hostile tone that carries over from OT to Racing. It is all one website. If there is an air of hostility in one part of the website, it will carry over to the other sections. OT is, in a sense, giving people permission to have the hostile tone. Perhaps people are not even aware of how hostile their tone is? There have times when I have posted things and then read them back and wondered what I was thinking.

This is an interesting discussion. Thanks for having it, but please be open-minded. None of the current concerns are really anything new are they they?

AndyC
04-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Great post Burnsy.

Off topic is a joke and poisons the rest of the site.

I'll say it again for the special snowflakes who are typing "Don't read it then". IT POISONS THE REST OF THE SITE. You know, the important part of it, the horse racing part. Even if you don't read off topic, people carry their petty grudges over here as well as the tone of their replies.

There are plenty of political sites that do politics much, much better than the pointless, mindless ranting here. However, no site does horse racing better. To allow the garbage side of the site to ruin the rest of it is misguided.

There is zero evidence that OffTopic poisons the rest of the site.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-27-2017, 12:23 PM

I don't know. I'm sure there have been some personal confrontations in OT where I am sure people have formed negative opinions about others, and those opinions may carry over. I don't know that there is clear evidence. Just speculating.

riskman
04-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Pace Advantage has members that are divurgent in their intetests in horse racing, politics religion and many other endeavors including their primary work responsibilties. Interests in thorough bred and harness racing is what drove us here. Horse Racing is a large industry
World wide.Plenty to discuss and write about.
PA and its owner and moderators do a good job. The annoying troll manages to slip in once in awhile to disrupt the forum. Do not reply to them. If necessary put them on ignore. Shut them out. It is hard to do it, but do not let them win.

Off Topic is fine with me. I am more of a lurker than a poster on this site. Hope to learn and enjoy for years to come.

Murph
04-27-2017, 01:38 PM
I completely disagree

I completely disagree as well. There have been people that have gone at each other in OT but on the horse racing side they are helping each other out.

Let me give you something to think about.

People will carry into the horse racing section WHATEVER IS GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES at the moment, good or bad.

Do you think the nonstop bashing of certain racing personalities or certain horse racing venues or certain jockeys or certain poor rides or certain announcers has ANYTHING to do with grudges being carried over from OFF TOPIC?

99% of the time I would say that it does NOT.

And yet, that kind of stuff is the stuff a LOT of people complain about...it's the kind of stuff that has caused certain people to stop posting. And it has nothing to do with grudges carrying over from off topic.

What happens in OT is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to the quality of the racing topics.

It's a total straw man as far as I'm concerned, at least as it pertains to the topic of this thread.I think the OT here is awesome. I do understand how "nonstop bashing" gets tiresome in our horse discussions for everyone it seems but the OP and a detractor. I agree with PA here about any OT grudges comming into it.

I think it is the hostile tone that carries over from OT to Racing. It is all one website. If there is an air of hostility in one part of the website, it will carry over to the other sections. OT is, in a sense, giving people permission to have the hostile tone. Perhaps people are not even aware of how hostile their tone is? There have times when I have posted things and then read them back and wondered what I was thinking.

This is an interesting discussion. Thanks for having it, but please be open-minded. None of the current concerns are really anything new are they they?No. The tone in OT seems always ready to explode. It's expected like a pressure cooker on the stove and my mom is cooking. No one is minding the stove and the pot can explode any time! Everyone seems happy not to carry the mess into the horse side.

I don't know. I'm sure there have been some personal confrontations in OT where I am sure people have formed negative opinions about others, and those opinions may carry over. I don't know that there is clear evidence. Just speculating.IDK either Halv. For my part I won't post into the basher type topics again. I wil also try to mind my own 'stove' and relieve some pressure instead of building it up. Wish me luck. ;)

AndyC
04-27-2017, 01:42 PM
I don't know. I'm sure there have been some personal confrontations in OT where I am sure people have formed negative opinions about others, and those opinions may carry over. I don't know that there is clear evidence. Just speculating.

I think a jerk will always be a jerk.

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2017, 01:42 PM
I do understand how "nonstop bashing" gets tiresome in our horse discussions for everyone it seems but the OP and a detractor.Hah...good one...sort of subtle, but effective. Good job.

Murph
04-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Hah...good one...sort of subtle, but effective. Good job.
Seriously.

I don't think it is about one or two specific topics or certain people. We all have a hand and a say in it and how we want to go forward.

Murph
04-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Hah...good one...sort of subtle, but effective. Good job.

It seems you have attempted to set the tone by suggesting my comment is intended to provoke or inflame something specific. NOT my intention at all. Thank you for suggesting that I may not really mean what I just posted on the subject. I'm sorry you have misinterpreted my intention.

I suppose I should just let it go.

v j stauffer
04-27-2017, 02:30 PM
It seems you have attempted to set the tone by suggesting my comment is intended to provoke or inflame something specific. NOT my intention at all. Thank you for suggesting that I may not really mean what I just posted on the subject. I'm sorry you have misinterpreted my intention.

Now I'm TOTALLY confused and I don't even care.:confused:

thaskalos
04-27-2017, 02:39 PM

There is also "zero evidence" that anyone is beating the horseracing game long-term. Is "evidence" EVERYTHING?

v j stauffer
04-27-2017, 02:57 PM
There is also "zero evidence" that anyone is beating the horseracing game long-term. Is "evidence" EVERYTHING?

You're right Thask.

Lot's of people beat the horseracing game long term.

The vast majority couldn't care less about proving it to anyone.

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2017, 04:04 PM

I suppose I should just let it go.Well, I took your comment about "nonstop bashing gets tiresome for everyone but the OP" to mean ME, since I am the OP in this thread...as if I encourage or endorse the nonstop bashing.

Perhaps I misunderstood.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Just a perception. If the OT had a more heterogeneous group, one that had a bell curve of opinions on any respective topic, it would be spectacular. But, it is what it is, and you either think it's great (because you happen to be on the majority side) on a topic or not so great (because you are on the minority side). You're never going to change the fact that a lot of posts start with "Yeah, but if it was Obama or Hillary (insert negative comment here). " Or, "Yeah, if it was Trump (insert really negative comment here)", and inevitably things go downhill from there. I think for a lot of people the OT is a great place, and for that reason I think it's fine that it is part of PA. It didn't work for me, but that certainly isn't a reason to delete it.

shouldacoulda
04-27-2017, 05:35 PM
I have always considered this forum the place for hard core horse players. I have no interest in the off topic sections because 60% of people are stupid. I'm glad I'm in the other 30% with all of you. I see many familiar names still active here. Good to see that. Wondering if Alcapper has perfected his program yet.

barahona44
04-27-2017, 05:43 PM
I have always considered this forum the place for hard core horse players. I have no interest in the off topic sections because 60% of people are stupid. I'm glad I'm in the other 30% with all of you. I see many familiar names still active here. Good to see that. Wondering if Alcapper has perfected his program yet.

What happened to the other 10%?:)

MONEY
04-27-2017, 05:46 PM
60% of people are stupid. I'm glad I'm in the other 30%

This is hilarious http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Simulcaster/smilies20355.gif (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Simulcaster/media/smilies20355.gif.html)

HuggingTheRail
04-27-2017, 06:06 PM

The first 10% goes to the Lord - think I read that in the Religion thread in off-topic...

Exotic1
04-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the laugh !! :)

10% margin of error.

Too funny.

Exotic1
04-27-2017, 06:22 PM
The first 10% goes to the Lord - think I read that in the Religion thread in off-topic...

Excellent.

DeltaLover
04-27-2017, 06:40 PM
If you have nothing to say, you better stay quiet!

As an example of the moderation that I believe is needed, the last five messages (any many more) in the thread should have been deleted:

This is hilarious http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Simulcaster/smilies20355.gif (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Simulcaster/media/smilies20355.gif.html)

Thanks for the laugh !! :)
10% margin of error.
Too funny.

Excellent.

Exotic1
04-27-2017, 06:52 PM

As an example of the moderation that I believe is needed, the last five messages (any many more) in the thread should have been deleted:

You're correct.

Murph
04-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Well, I took your comment about "nonstop bashing gets tiresome for everyone but the OP" to mean ME, since I am the OP in this thread...as if I encourage or endorse the nonstop bashing.

Perhaps I misunderstood.Not to point to you or criticize at all. I mean any thread all the time, PA. I am on board with you to improve the tone of our conversations and I will reflect that in my actions.

Pretty soon you will never notice I am posting unless you want to notice by choice.

HuggingTheRail
04-27-2017, 06:59 PM

Sharp post :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:. Congrats on becoming a moderator

Murph
04-27-2017, 07:03 PM

But this is the best stuff of the OT that we have come to know and love. Really funny material, you just gotta leave it in. Maybe some of the 'tude does make it's way in here.

newtothegame
04-27-2017, 07:12 PM

I just love how those who aren't in off topic, or those who complain about off topic use terms like "civility", "Tone", demeanor etc etc and then we get stuff like the above????

So if someone in off topic calls others stupid, they are uncivil and terrible.
Yet when someone from the racing side does it its civil and appropriate??
For lack of better cliché, I guess that's a horse of another color :pound::pound:

barahona44
04-27-2017, 07:14 PM

Should we put out an Amber Alert on your sense of humor?

Since I got the ball rolling, the poster (Shouldacoulda) said 60% of people were stupid and he was glad he was in the other 30%.Two possibilities: 1)He meant it as a joke or 2) he hit the 3 key by mistake.Just having a little chuckle.Laughter's the best medicine, y'know.

I explained this to you because I can't be sure you understood my motivation.

Have a splendid evening. ;)

whodoyoulike
04-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Hey, this is the internet!! If you or anyone else didn't appreciate the humor, I don't know what else to say to you.

Well, actually, I do.

Fager Fan
04-27-2017, 10:07 PM
You're correct.

Lol.

I appreciated the laughs and would hate if some heavy-handed moderation wouldn't allow such.

kingfin66
04-27-2017, 10:25 PM
I just love how those who aren't in off topic, or those who complain about off topic use terms like "civility", "Tone", demeanor etc etc and then we get stuff like the above????

For lack of better cliché, I guess that's a horse of another color :pound::pound:

Granted I have missed obvious attempts at humor in my years as a PA member; however, this was not only an attempt at humor but a direct hit. His comment was F-U-N-N-Y; at least it was to me.

Here is how the joke works. He said that 60 % of the people in OT are stupid. That sounds pretty bad, but then he adds that he is in the other 30%. So that adds up to 90 % which is why of saying that he is with the other 60 %. It is kind of like saying, "I used to not know how to spell [fill in the blank] but now I are one."

Read back through and you will see it. You are vigorously defending OT which is fine, but you are missing some subtleties in doing so.

whodoyoulike
04-27-2017, 11:15 PM

I've seen you post before because I've read some of yours in OT. But, you've mentioned that you don't post in the horse racing side which I don't understand.

What brought you to this Horse Racing Forum?

At the beginning, I never even ventured into the OT threads and then one day I did and then some guy started in on me regarding one of my posts. I had never encountered his handle before (and he had 000's of posts) and I had already been here for several years.

I asked him this same question and never received an answer.

So, why would you be interested in a horse racing forum to discuss only non-horse racing topics?

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2017, 11:25 PM
So, why would you be interested in a horse racing forum to discuss only non-horse racing topics?It could be they have two different handles on here...one for racing and one for off-topic. That's one explanation that doesn't seem totally out of line.

AndyC
04-27-2017, 11:47 PM

Really? That's your response. Wouldn't it just be easier to point out some examples to back up your position?

AndyC
04-27-2017, 11:56 PM
....So, why would you be interested in a horse racing forum to discuss only non-horse racing topics?

Initially it is the racing that is the hook. But frankly many of the racing discussions are boring because they tend to discuss the same issues over and over. But what I have found is that people in or into racing are not boring and they aren't one-dimensional. It is no accident that many like to congregate in the off-topic section.

JustRalph
04-28-2017, 12:26 AM
Initially it is the racing that is the hook. But frankly many of the racing discussions are boring because they tend to discuss the same issues over and over. But what I have found is that people in or into racing are not boring and they aren't one-dimensional. It is no accident that many like to congregate in the off-topic section.

Good post!

whodoyoulike
04-28-2017, 12:46 AM
It could be they have two different handles on here...one for racing and one for off-topic. That's one explanation that doesn't seem totally out of line.

This never occurred to me.

So, they can for some reason have a discussion with themselves (but you're saying one for racing and one for OT so not probable) and draw some unsuspecting person into their thread if they wanted which is misleading as hell IMO which seems way out of line to me.

I remember several members suspected one of doing just this with two other handles who continuously complemented each other and basically built themselves up. I never was certain that this is what was going on but it caused me to always be skeptical when interacting with any of them.

whodoyoulike
04-28-2017, 12:57 AM

I realize most people in general are not one-dimensional but this person stated he doesn't discuss horses. So, my question is what brought him to this horse racing site.

To congregate and only stay in OT - general on this site really doesn't make sense to me which is the reason for my question.

If I only wanted to discuss politics or religion etc., I think I could find an exclusive site for it.

shouldacoulda
04-28-2017, 05:49 AM

Sorry if I offended anybody. Was not my intention. Life is short. Never hurts to laugh. I have dabbled in the off topic area in the past. I just prefer to keep to the horse racing bits. It takes all kinds to make the world go around so whatever floats your boat...

Fager Fan
04-28-2017, 07:04 AM
I've seen you post before because I've read some of yours in OT. But, you've mentioned that you don't post in the horse racing side which I don't understand.

At the beginning, I never even ventured into the OT threads and then one day I did and then some guy started in on me regarding one of my posts. I had never encountered his handle before (and he had 000's of posts) and I had already been here for several years.

So, why would you be interested in a horse racing forum to discuss only non-horse racing topics?

There are a lot of people who lurk only. I've never understood the lack of wanting to speak but accept that is what many people do.

Politics however can elicit such strong feelings that the person now finds their tongue and speaks.

Murph
04-28-2017, 08:56 AM
There are a lot of people who lurk only. I've never understood the lack of wanting to speak but accept that is what many people do.

Politics however can elicit such strong feelings that the person now finds their tongue and speaks.
When you post into a PA horse racing topic you had better have your hat on straight. Know a bit about what your are typing and who you are it typing to. It pays to lurk around a bit before starting to rack up the old post counter. Careful moderation here might help some new posters out. I'm not going to qualify this statement for a change. (oops, maybe I should) My comment is not meant as criticism.

OT is just as rough a playground here but everyone can wear their hat anyway they want to and take their chances. I don't think there are many specialty sites whether religious, financial, tech or entertainment that can match the unique demographics of the posters in PA Off Topic. Interesting and intelligent people seem to stick around on both sides with different levels of participation.

I like it, too much some days.

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2017, 10:15 AM
This never occurred to me.

So, they can for some reason have a discussion with themselves (but you're saying one for racing and one for OT so not probable) and draw some unsuspecting person into their thread if they wanted which is misleading as hell IMO which seems way out of line to me.

I remember several members suspected one of doing just this with two other handles who continuously complemented each other and basically built themselves up. I never was certain that this is what was going on but it caused me to always be skeptical when interacting with any of them.No, I don't think they are using two handles to have a discussion with themselves and lure unsuspecting people into a thread.

What I'm talking about is someone who doesn't want their racing user name here associated with anything they might want to say in off-topic, be it politically related or religious or anything "controversial" like that...

DeltaLover
04-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Based on the title of thread and detecting that the OT threads seem to be a controversial topic, I suggest we open a poll about whether we want them or not.

newtothegame
04-28-2017, 03:07 PM

Didn't know my posting habits were so scrutinized and of national interest lol.
However, if you must know, I started out here on the horse side. Mike even let me sell a few of my horse racing books here. Over time, the horse racing side ( to me) has become rather bland so I choose not to post there.

Mike Hawk
04-28-2017, 03:10 PM
It's up to YOU to NOT RESPOND to bullshit and troll replies. Once you start RESPONDING, it blows up quickly...then when I show up, or another moderator shows up, I don't have just ONE troll comment or inappropriate post to delete...

It almost seems as if you're trying to ask horse player's to use common sense and reason, while remaining civil. Might as well ask for world peace and a million dollars while you're at it... :lol:

whodoyoulike
04-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Didn't know my posting habits were so scrutinized and of national interest lol.
However, if you must know, I started out here on the horse side. Mike even let me sell a few of my horse racing books here. Over time, the horse racing side ( to me) has become rather bland so I choose not to post there.

Thanks.

I just try to understand what people write and see if it makes sense to me. I thought within this thread you commented you don't participate in the racing side but only in OT-general which is the reason for my question.

And, I don't remember you posting on the horse side unless you changed your avatar.

whodoyoulike
04-28-2017, 04:34 PM

I was thinking about this post. Think about this.

We bet on our opinions. So, every day you have a few dozen maybe a hundred Alpha and Beta males on here (no offense to the women but you just don't get into it with these guys which I've seen (good thing but you don't know what you're missing)) expressing our opinions on different topics.

"LET SOME THINGS GO...ignore the BS" .... this place is like some sports bar with games on the TV and some I'm pretty certain have had a few. You're going to have realize you're the bartender and/or bouncer of this joint.

Not everyone can be as classy as some of us.

kingfin66
04-28-2017, 09:35 PM
It almost seems as if you're trying to ask horse player's to use common sense and reason, while remaining civil. Might as well ask for world peace and a million dollars while you're at it... :lol:

There is no greater symbol of good intention, common sense, reason and civility than signing up for a forum using the moniker Mike Hawk. :puke:

v j stauffer
04-28-2017, 11:00 PM
There is no greater symbol of good intention, common sense, reason and civility than signing up for a forum using the moniker Mike Hawk. :puke:

Actually Mike Hunt tops that.

When I saw Mr. Hawk's moniker I knew we were blessed with another Grade 1 contributor.

Welcome aboard!

PaceAdvantage
04-29-2017, 01:29 AM
You guys must be from Boston.

rsetup
04-29-2017, 01:16 PM
So, if I create a thread and management decides to append it to an existing thread. Clearly, if I wanted to add to that thread I would have. I want no part of that thread or the thread that my posts were initially appended to.

Now, if I make repeated requests to have my posts deleted from THAT thread, shouldn't management honor my requests? After all, they put something I posted where I don't want it to be. If they feel that this thread cannot stand on it's own, then why not remove it? Why force me to accept my comments being appended to another thread?

Hard to make the claim that this experience is exactly what I made of it. It can't be the case that the forum is lacking in disk space?

I now openly request that management PLEASE remove my posts from that thread.

Thank You

HalvOnHorseracing
04-29-2017, 01:40 PM
I think the Off Topic threads should have the motto, "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth."

Mike Hawk
04-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Actually Mike Hunt tops that.

When I saw Mr. Hawk's moniker I knew we were blessed with another Grade 1 contributor.

Welcome aboard!

Well, if you can even call me a contributor...! I'm merely a lurker, :coffee:(see my 3 posts, including this one, since 2014, and a lurker, many, many years before that even) born with an unfortunate birth name that has cursed me my entire life. Believe me...

I could, however, go by Michael, but I've always despised my full name. I've learned to put the blinkers on though and blind myself to childish ridicule as it is only the name I was given after all.

Speaking on the subject here, I do enjoy the immature banter at times, as it provides priceless entertainment, but there is a certain line people always seem to cross, usually the same repeated trolls. Regardless of the few toxic people here, most are not and I wish nothing but health to this forum. I quite enjoy the diverse opinions and discussions here when the conversations remain civil, and even at times when some individuals become unruly. It's always good fun laughing at others stupidity. :) Back to lurking for now :)

mountainman
04-29-2017, 04:20 PM
Not a fan of internet anonymity. At all. And since lots of people use it to say things they wouldn't take ownership of in real life, the issue arises as to what point a poster sacrifices human identity and renders himself a toon.

It's a fine line, to be sure. But in my opinion, this should be explored.

Thus, instead of demerit points, I suggest pace and cj start assigning cartoon points, and set a limit beyond which the offender's posts are adorned with an automatic tweety bird, or big purple Barney. As an indication said board member has lost the right to be taken seriously or engage in big boy debate.

Fager Fan
04-29-2017, 07:09 PM
Well, if you can even call me a contributor...! I'm merely a lurker, :coffee:(see my 3 posts, including this one, since 2014, and a lurker, many, many years before that even) born with an unfortunate birth name that has cursed me my entire life. Believe me...

I could, however, go by Michael, but I've always despised my full name. I've learned to put the blinkers on though and blind myself to childish ridicule as it is only the name I was given after all.

Speaking on the subject here, I do enjoy the immature banter at times, as it provides priceless entertainment, but there is a certain line people always seem to cross, usually the same repeated trolls. Regardless of the few toxic people here, most are not and I wish nothing but health to this forum. I quite enjoy the diverse opinions and discussions here when the conversations remain civil, and even at times when some individuals become unruly. It's always good fun laughing at others stupidity. :) Back to lurking for now :)

If it makes you feel better, I know of these two women:

Bunny Easter

Anita Dick

We have to blame Bunny on Mr. and Mrs. Easter, who apparently thought it be cute to assign this name to their newborn daughter with bright red (orange) hair.

Anita had the misfortune of falling in love with a Dick.

NorCalGreg
04-29-2017, 08:03 PM
If it makes you feel better, I know of these two women:

Bunny Easter

Anita Dick

We have to blame Bunny on Mr. and Mrs. Easter, who apparently thought it be cute to assign this name to their newborn daughter with bright red (orange) hair.

Anita had the misfortune of falling in love with a Dick.

Giants had a pitching coach for a few years named DICK POLE.

Lemon Drop Husker
04-29-2017, 08:38 PM
I love every single bit of it.

Good, bad, indiffent, it is a site that I can talk about the ponies.

My only complaint is that I don't post enough. :pound: And I'm sure many would love for me to post less.

CincyHorseplayer
04-30-2017, 01:11 AM
I have been here for 9 years and was rightfully banned for over a year. This is a highly stressful game if you are into it. The rigors of long and everyday play make us all edgy. Speaking from experience don't post after a long losing day of races. The bitterness is evident! And don't come home from a night of partying and post! There are plenty of times I am up late at night and post. But I get the warm beer award for jackass posts when I post after drinking. Don't do it!

That said to me it's pretty basic. This is without any shadow of a doubt the best horseplayer resource of all time. Lifelong knowledge comes from it and sometimes lifelong friendships and acquaintances. Share your passion not your problems. This is a winnable game. Finding wins and friends is what this website is all about...

RunForTheRoses
04-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Giants had a pitching coach for a few years named DICK POLE.

Then there's the great MD trainer Dickie Small. And he's a junior.

Lose The Juice
04-30-2017, 10:40 AM
The NHL had Grant Clitsome, and still has Kyle Turris.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2017, 11:44 AM
So, if I create a thread and management decides to append it to an existing thread. Clearly, if I wanted to add to that thread I would have. I want no part of that thread or the thread that my posts were initially appended to.

Now, if I make repeated requests to have my posts deleted from THAT thread, shouldn't management honor my requests? After all, they put something I posted where I don't want it to be. If they feel that this thread cannot stand on it's own, then why not remove it? Why force me to accept my comments being appended to another thread?

Hard to make the claim that this experience is exactly what I made of it. It can't be the case that the forum is lacking in disk space?

I now openly request that management PLEASE remove my posts from that thread.

Thank YouLike I said, I wasn't around yesterday at all...don't know the circumstances about what you're talking about, but if it wasn't resolved, I'm sorry about that...sent you a PM

whodoyoulike
04-30-2017, 02:16 PM
I have been here for 9 years and was rightfully banned for over a year. This is a highly stressful game if you are into it. The rigors of long and everyday play make us all edgy. Speaking from experience don't post after a long losing day of races. The bitterness is evident! And don't come home from a night of partying and post! There are plenty of times I am up late at night and post. But I get the warm beer award for jackass posts when I post after drinking. Don't do it!

That said to me it's pretty basic. This is without any shadow of a doubt the best horseplayer resource of all time. Lifelong knowledge comes from it and sometimes lifelong friendships and acquaintances. Share your passion not your problems. This is a winnable game. Finding wins and friends is what this website is all about...

Most times this place reminds me of that old TV show .... Cheers and all of the quirky characters interacting.

We have a Norm in Tom with all of his witty one liners.

Then there's Frasier, I think we all know who that is on here!

CJ reminds me of Sam because he keeps order and moves things along.

PA is Cliff for obvious reasons.

I kind of view myself as the Fred Dryer character or maybe that character in those beer commercials .... The most interesting man in the world.

I could go on and on but I won't.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2017, 02:30 PM
PA is Cliff for obvious reasons.I never saw Cliff punch some wise-ass in the face.

cj
04-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Like I said, I wasn't around yesterday at all...don't know the circumstances about what you're talking about, but if it wasn't resolved, I'm sorry about that...sent you a PM

The guy posted a thread called "Turf Sprints" and it was literally right next to a thread that titled "What to look for in Turf Sprints". Why would I not think to merge them when he handicapped three races on the same exact topic in the same exact section of the board?

When I had a chance to remove the posts as requested, I did so. I'm not here 24/7 either just like PA isn't. rsetup should stop acting like a six year old in my opinion. I'm sure this will lead to another insulting PM from him, but I frankly don't give a crap. The last time he did it he lost any benefit of the doubt from me.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-30-2017, 02:39 PM

Oh come on. Don't make everyone guess.

Tom
04-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Must those turf spring picks all lost...or he would wanted them left up! :lol:

CincyHorseplayer
04-30-2017, 05:12 PM
I never saw Cliff punch some wise-ass in the face.

Awesome sauce!:lol:

whodoyoulike
04-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Oh come on. Don't make everyone guess.

You're not the one I had in mind when I made the post. I have no idea where you matriculated or in what field(s).

I didn't mention any name(s) and now that I think about it, it could be several on here.

The one I had in mind always means well IMO just like Frasier always did on the show and his own follow-up show.

NorCalGreg
04-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Most times this place reminds me of that old TV show .... Cheers and all of the quirky characters interacting.

We have a Norm in Tom with all of his witty one liners.

CJ reminds me of Sam because he keeps order and moves things along.

PA is Cliff for obvious reasons.

I kind of view myself as the Fred Dryer character or maybe that character in those beer commercials .... The most interesting man in the world.

I could go on and on but I won't.

I see you more as Lenny on "Of Mice and Men"

Tom
04-30-2017, 07:06 PM
mostie is not Cliff?

Come on now........

Murph
04-30-2017, 08:02 PM
What I'm wondering now is whodo you have down for Woody?

HalvOnHorseracing
04-30-2017, 10:49 PM
You're not the one I had in mind when I made the post. I have no idea where you matriculated or in what field(s).

I didn't mention any name(s) and now that I think about it, it could be several on here.

The one I had in mind always means well IMO just like Frasier always did on the show and his own follow-up show.

Well I wasn't a shrink.

I thought the same thing. I could think of three people I could see in the Frazier role.