PDA

View Full Version : The Works

PowerUpPaynter
04-24-2017, 06:19 AM
As these horses move toward there final derby work over the next week or so what are you looking for? 'Backside buzz' reports should start this week. I remember a few years ago ORB was the buzz horse in a big way.

Robert Fischer
04-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Good fundamentals, and whether any of the under-my-radar types (Hence, Patch, Battle of Midway, Fast and Accurate, etc...) happen to jump off the screen as obvious superstar athletes.

At this point, a well-known horse isn't going to tell me anything (good or bad) without a freak occurrence.
I know those guys. If a fast horse runs a maintenance work, I'm not depressed. If a slow horse is pushed to work a bullet, I'm not buzzed.

f2tornado
04-24-2017, 01:49 PM
General conversation; people like Steve Haskin commenting on appearance and works. His weekly Derby Dozen column on Blood Horse is a worthy read. That guy is like the horse whisperer. There was a lot of conversation on Animal Kingdom taking to the track and he ended up an underlay. There was lots of talk on Orb leading up to the dance and he won pretty easy. Then of course waiting for pilot assignments. I see Hence gets Geroux which is significant. I believe a big league rider is a big plus during the triple crown series.

Wiley
04-24-2017, 05:18 PM
General conversation; people like Steve Haskin commenting on appearance and works. His weekly Derby Dozen column on Blood Horse is a worthy read. That guy is like the horse whisperer. There was a lot of conversation on Animal Kingdom taking to the track and he ended up an underlay. There was lots of talk on Orb leading up to the dance and he won pretty easy. Then of course waiting for pilot assignments. I see Hence gets Geroux which is significant. I believe a big league rider is a big plus during the triple crown series.

I think Steve even made a note about Mine that Bird having a huge engine and not breathing hard at all after strong 2 mile gallops pre Derby.

From memory, Barbaro, I'll Have Another, Orb, American Pharaoh (his work reports were off the charts good), Animal Kingdom, Street Sense all had glowing pre race workout listings.

California Chrome's Derby workouts were not that solid, at least workout report wise, did not seem to matter with him though in what I thought was a pretty weak year. Fu Peg had pre Derby issues as well in works, I think even throwing workout riders.

I am sure you can also find horses that worked like champs pre Derby and ran up the track as well.
Ten Most Wanted comes to mind, though I think he did have trouble in the race.

I bet Hard Spun and Perfect Drift off of solid work patterns, neither was quite good enough though.

Bennie
04-24-2017, 05:41 PM
I take them all with a grin of salt as many horses can work well meaning they are bringing their A game but their A game might still be a notch below the rest of the field. I look more for negative signs that a horse might not be bringing their best. Like comments about Gunnevera looking like he lost weight prior to his last race and then not having that kick he usually has. You also are better off seeing the workouts as opposed to merely going by the times they post. Like Hence and McCraken today. Hence was running from start to finish but McCraken sat back and didn't catch his workout mate until the wire but galloped out very strong. Their times were almost equal but the gallop out by McCraken was the most impressive part of his work and it will not show in the time of the workout. If you can't see the workouts yourself be sure to check the comments from someone you trust as a reliable source like Haskins.

Tom
04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Steve Byk is onsite at CD starting today and will have a lot of WO coverage coming up. Lots of guests will be offering nuggets of information.

upthecreek
04-25-2017, 10:46 AM
http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Kentucky_Derby_2017_workouts_LIVE_Tues_April_25_12 3

PowerUpPaynter
04-25-2017, 11:05 AM
Watched the works today. Tapwrit runs odd, not a smooth comfortable stride for sure. State of Honor is a big boy. Practical Joke just looks so smooth and comfortable.

upthecreek
04-25-2017, 11:21 AM
http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Kentucky_Derby_2017_workouts_LIVE_Tues_April_25_12 3

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/workouts/live

Dream_Police
04-25-2017, 05:55 PM
I agree Power, I was there as well and he looked pretty good on the track. Miss Sky Warrior was a presence on the track and might very well be my pick for the Oaks.
I just got a peek at McCraken but he looked like he is a large horse but he just pretty much walked around the track and stretched his legs from what I observed.
Gunnevera also looked like he liked the track as well.

PowerUpPaynter
04-28-2017, 10:35 AM
How much do you let the works effect your bets?

Dream_Police
04-28-2017, 11:46 AM
Until recently never. Since I have been attending Dawn on a daily basis I have put it in my handicapping. I actually don't take the actual work unless it is absolutely outstanding or terrible, I usually go by who is moving well ,looks and demeanor.
When Pharoah was here and you watched him he could been crawling(he wasn't) but he looked so smooth and his stride was effortless. I really don't think you have to work lights out just come here well rested and ready and get used to the surroundings and track.