PDA

View Full Version : Why Donald Trump Won and Hillary Clinton Lost!

MargieRose
04-23-2017, 11:55 PM
This is an extremely interesting article written by a COLLEGE PROFESSOR. How refreshing it is to have actually discovered a 'college professor' with a truly meaningful and insightful view of the 2016 election:

Why As A Philosopher I Voted For Trump

Trumpism And The Future Of The American Republic

By Professor Daniel Bonevac (University of Texas, Austin)

January 20, 2017

This article is part of The Critique’s January/February 2017 Issue “Stick It To The Man: A Year Of Anglo-American Populist Revolt Against A Changing Culture And An Obtuse Political Establishment.”

http://www.thecritique.com/articles/why-i-voted-for-trump/

fast4522
04-24-2017, 12:40 AM
That is a interesting viewpoint of a possible why, one might say a perfect storm view. Connecting with a different view might suggest that he had better people in his organization, and had an expert numbers guy that was deadly accurate exactly where to focus on the correct States and when. There was so much talk at the time of the superior ground game Clinton had, her team shit the bed plain and simple.

JustRalph
04-24-2017, 01:07 AM
They knew they were toast. I suspected it when they canceled the fireworks

Greyfox
04-24-2017, 01:29 AM
This is an extremely interesting article written by a COLLEGE PROFESSOR. How refreshing it is to have actually discovered a 'college professor' with a truly meaningful and insightful view of the 2016 election:

Why As A Philosopher I Voted For Trump

Trumpism And The Future Of The American Republic

By Professor Daniel Bonevac (University of Texas, Austin)

January 20, 2017

This article is part of The Critique’s January/February 2017 Issue “Stick It To The Man: A Year Of Anglo-American Populist Revolt Against A Changing Culture And An Obtuse Political Establishment.”

http://www.thecritique.com/articles/why-i-voted-for-trump/

Thank you MargieRose for posting that article. :ThmbUp:
There is a tremendous amount of "food for thought" to digest there and I will be recommending it to friends.
It will take me some time to mull over many of the interesting points presented in that essay.
An excellent presentation by the author for sure.

Clocker
04-24-2017, 02:41 AM
How refreshing it is to have actually discovered a 'college professor' with a truly meaningful and insightful view of the 2016 election:

I'm afraid not. I have read the first three sections of the article, down through "III. The end of “phone and a pen” policy making", had to stop for now. I have already read just too much that is wrong. More later, perhaps.Trump supporters, over the past eight years, have felt like subjects in Asch’s experiments. They have been struck by the discrepancies between informed opinion, as represented in the pages of the elite newspapers in the country, as well as the scholarly journals of academic societies, and their own perceptions on a wide variety of topics. Firstly, Trump was not elected by Trump supporters. He was elected by an ad hoc coalition of Trump supporters, Hillary haters, lesser of two evils voters, straight ticket voters for down-ballot Republicans who were indifferent to Trump, etc.

Secondly, Trump supporters were not aware of "informed opinion" or scholarly journals. They were voting on a visceral level of emotions based on inflammatory rhetoric.

The good professor goes on:

The United States was founded on the political philosophy of John Locke, adapted by Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and other founders.According to that “bottom-up” political theory, people have natural rights to life, liberty, and property. Government gets its power from the people; it is legitimate only with the consent of the governed. Its mission is to promote the general welfare by providing a framework for ordered liberty, a framework within which people can exercise their freedoms and pursue happiness. That is Donald Trump’s vision of government.That is not Donald Trump's vision of government. Trump does not have a vision of government, and he does not have a foundation of policies or principles. His policies and decisions are not based on any consistent ideology, but his basic bias is toward big government, no less than Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders. He believes that the solutions to the problems of the country derive from government, led by him. He will decide who we will and will not trade with. He will decide how we will buy health insurance. He will decide who does or doesn't enter the country. He will decide who has a right to property, and when it can be taken by eminent domain for the benefit of the greater good, public or private sector. He will decide when the media has over stepped the boundaries of free speech and can be sued.

And in anticipation of the usual flaming, I do believe that Trump is clearly a superior option to Hillary. But he leaves much to be desired.

barahona44
04-24-2017, 12:02 PM
I'm afraid not. I have read the first three sections of the article, down through "III. The end of “phone and a pen” policy making", had to stop for now. I have already read just too much that is wrong. More later, perhaps.Firstly, Trump was not elected by Trump supporters. He was elected by an ad hoc coalition of Trump supporters, Hillary haters, lesser of two evils voters, straight ticket voters for down-ballot Republicans who were indifferent to Trump, etc.

Secondly, Trump supporters were not aware of "informed opinion" or scholarly journals. They were voting on a visceral level of emotions based on inflammatory rhetoric.

The good professor goes on:

That is not Donald Trump's vision of government. Trump does not have a vision of government, and he does not have a foundation of policies or principles. His policies and decisions are not based on any consistent ideology, but his basic bias is toward big government, no less than Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders. He believes that the solutions to the problems of the country derive from government, led by him. He will decide who we will and will not trade with. He will decide how we will buy health insurance. He will decide who does or doesn't enter the country. He will decide who has a right to property, and when it can be taken by eminent domain for the benefit of the greater good, public or private sector. He will decide when the media has over stepped the boundaries of free speech and can be sued.

And in anticipation of the usual flaming, I do believe that Trump is clearly a superior option to Hillary. But he leaves much to be desired.
I'll save everybody the time and trouble.

HE'S NOT HILLARY!!

boxcar
04-24-2017, 12:31 PM

HE'S NOT HILLARY!!

Thank God!

Clocker
04-24-2017, 12:36 PM

HE'S NOT HILLARY!!

I already said that. And that's the only reason he won, not all the hype about rights and free markets and his "vision" and the rest. The election was about one thing: the rejection of Hillary and the third term of Obama.

Inner Dirt
04-24-2017, 12:48 PM

HE'S NOT HILLARY!!

I already said that. And that's the only reason he won, not all the hype about rights and free markets and his "vision" and the rest. The election was about one thing: the rejection of Hillary and the third term of Obama.

The Democrats could not have elected a worse candidate in the primary if they tried. Other than some lower office nut jobs like Maxine Waters, no one is despised as much as Hillary. Even people that voted for her called her unlikable and untrustworthy. It took a real piece of work to lose to Donald Trump and Hillary was it. She should be so embarrassed she should go in hiding for the rest of her life. Funny thing it didn't wake her up, she blames the loss on everybody but herself.

Greyfox
04-24-2017, 01:13 PM

HE'S NOT HILLARY!!

I beg to differ.
The other 16 or so candidates on the Republican Slate who tried for the nomination that Trump won, would have lost out to Hillary.
Believe it or Not Ripley.
Trump tapped into a mounting dissatisfaction in America, that the other candidates were blind to and then sold his ideas to that base.
No one else on last year's Republican Slate could have done that.

Clocker
04-24-2017, 01:44 PM
The other 16 or so candidates on the Republican Slate who tried for the nomination that Trump won, would have lost out to Hillary.

Most of those people had no business in the race and just muddied the waters. I think that a number of candidates, including Ted Cruz or Rick Perry, could have beaten Hillary.

Trump would have lost if the Dems put up even a mediocre candidate, like Joe Biden. Trump would have been a toss-up against Bernie Sanders. The two have much in common politically.

delayjf
04-24-2017, 02:35 PM
but his basic bias is toward big government, no less than Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders.

I'm going to slightly disagree with you here. If Bernie and Hillary had their way, we'd all be in the 50% effective tax bracket with a 20% VAT to boot. That' what free college and free healthcare would require. The bigger government Trump is seeking is of the military kind. he's also put a freeze on Federal hiring. Bernie and Hillary never would have done that.

riskman
04-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Despite the difference in the popular vote, ( 3 million + for Clinton)Trump won the presidential election, when he received 304 votes in the Electoral College, 34 more than required to win the White House. Clinton receive 227 electoral votes.

Trump won the election by keying certain states and having the correct intution and employing smart poltical analysts. Trump tapped into people that finally became aware of what’s going on after decades of being screwed by the politicians and the establishment--their real enemies. Most of these potential voters have no political affiliation. They just want a square deal.

Hillary to them was more of the same. Trump did a number on the whole system. No one was immune from his wrath.To be honest, I enjoyed the whole Trump show. I cringed many times during the campaighn. I thoroughly enjoyed the show each and every day.

Trump has adjusted some of his positions which is not unusual in light of his inexperience in politics.

Trump has a lot of big ticket items on his plate. The media is a drag on him day in and day out. Trump does not help himself in this regard. I doubt if he will change in his approach to the media. Personally, I like the chaos created by Trump with the media, not too much the mistakes made by his inexperience as a politician.The only way to fire the so called lawmakers is to not vote for them. I do not vote for anyone who is an incumbent. Everyone is out unless major reform is made in the legislative branch.

Interesting times are coming ------ disruption galore.

fast4522
04-24-2017, 10:07 PM
I beg to differ.
Believe it or Not Ripley.
Trump tapped into a mounting dissatisfaction in America, that the other candidates were blind to and then sold his ideas to that base.
No one else on last year's Republican Slate could have done that.

I find your post to be accurate, President Donald J. Trump's fire in the belly was the hottest. It is something that the winner should always have, by no way was I saying those others did not have fire in the belly. I will go one further and say that it was completely obvious Mitt Romney did not have it when he ran against Obama, it was an establishment farce.

MargieRose
04-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Thank you MargieRose for posting that article. :ThmbUp:
There is a tremendous amount of "food for thought" to digest there and I will be recommending it to friends.
It will take me some time to mull over many of the interesting points presented in that essay.
An excellent presentation by the author for sure.
You're welcome, Greyfox. I'm glad that you enjoyed the article as much as I did, and I hope that your friends will, too.

EasyGoer89
04-25-2017, 05:58 AM
Despite the difference in the popular vote, ( 3 million + for Clinton)Trump won the presidential election, when he received 304 votes in the Electoral College, 34 more than required to win the White House. Clinton receive 227 electoral votes.

Trump won the election by keying certain states and having the correct intution and employing smart poltical analysts. Trump tapped into people that finally became aware of what’s going on after decades of being screwed by the politicians and the establishment--their real enemies. Most of these potential voters have no political affiliation. They just want a square deal.

Hillary to them was more of the same. Trump did a number on the whole system. No one was immune from his wrath.To be honest, I enjoyed the whole Trump show. I cringed many times during the campaighn. I thoroughly enjoyed the show each and every day.

Trump has adjusted some of his positions which is not unusual in light of his inexperience in politics.

Trump has a lot of big ticket items on his plate. The media is a drag on him day in and day out. Trump does not help himself in this regard. I doubt if he will change in his approach to the media. Personally, I like the chaos created by Trump with the media, not too much the mistakes made by his inexperience as a politician.The only way to fire the so called lawmakers is to not vote for them. I do not vote for anyone who is an incumbent. Everyone is out unless major reform is made in the legislative branch.

Interesting times are coming ------ disruption galore.

Did we do a complete, detailed and no stones unturned audit of every vote in California to make sure they were all legit?

If we didn't, than I'd suggest taking the msm 'official vote count' with grain of salt.

Tom
04-26-2017, 07:44 PM
I take all the votes cast if California with a grain of salt.
I just assume at least 30% of them were fraudulent.
In NYS I assume 50%

No state could be as GD STUPID as NYS is.

Inner Dirt
04-26-2017, 08:02 PM
I take all the votes cast if California with a grain of salt.
I just assume at least 30% of them were fraudulent.
In NYS I assume 50%

No state could be as GD STUPID as NYS is.

I used to live in that liberal dump. You don't need an ID to vote and the registration forms come back too quickly to have been properly vetted. Also the poling places have signs in Spanish. I am pretty sure quite a few illegals vote there.

Lose The Juice
04-26-2017, 08:32 PM
I am at a loss to figure it out. Hillary was in every way the perfect candidate, and ran a brilliant campaign to boot. :rip: