PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Sunday, April 23

Teach
04-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Race One:

:5: BIG DISCOVERY can run all day. This Dynaformer-bred proved that when he raced out on the West Coast. In a race that features horses that are questionable in routes, this horse - as “Nicely Nicely” (“Guys & Dolls”) might have said - “Can Do!” It’s Rajiv in the irons for David Jacobson. Others: :4:, :1:, :3:.

Race Two:

:3: BLACK TIDE gets my nod in this short-field, n3L claiming turf route. This Dave Cannizzo trainee has hit the tote in 6 out of 9 turf tries. The switch to the lawn could do wonders for this Giant’s Causeway-bred gelding. “El Dominicano,” Jo-el Rosario, is in the irons. Others: :4:, :1:, :6:.

Race Three:

:3: SHAGAF is my upset try in this 100k OC at one mile. This A.P. Indy-bred had reeled off three straight (including the Grade III Gotham) before finishing off the tote in the mud in the Wood Memorial. This lightly-raced colt was last seen at Churchill Downs in the Kentucky Derby where he was pulled up and walked off. Well, after a nearly a one-year “vacation,” this Bernardini-bred returns to the races. Is he ready? If so… I’m willing to take a shot (I’ll look at him closely in the post parade). “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown is this 4 year-old’s conditioner. Jo-el Rosario is in the irons. Others: :4:, :1:, :5:.

Race Four:

I’m going with :4: FIFTY FIVE. This 3 year-old bay filly has hit the tote in every one of her turf tries, mostly recently, about one month and a-half ago in the Grade III Florida Oaks at Tampa. The filly’s trainer’s last name may be “Brown,” but he’s proven "He's Mean on the Green”. Personally, I give heed to anything “Mechanicsville Chad” trains that is entered in a turf race. One of the best jocks in the business – Jose Ortiz -- is in the irons. Others: :2:, :1:, :7:.

Race Five:

I’m playing a hunch here (take it for what it’s worth). “It’s your money, use it when you need it!” I’m goin’ with :7: DESERT AFFAIR. This 3 year-old bay filly has hit the tote in his last three in this company. Jose Ortiz reprises the ride for Merrick, Long Island’s Gary Contessa. Further, I’m usin’ the :5: NEGEV to complete the exacta. “Triple R,” Senor Mexicano, Rudy Rodriguez, trains this Desert Party-bred. Rodriguez does particularly well with horses making their third start off a layoff. Dylan Davis is in the irons. Others: :2:, :6:, :4:

Race Six:

:7: WINK AT ME is my longshot try. This 4 year-old chestnut filly tried a mile in her last and showed little. Yet, it should be noted that this filly was steadied at the start; that appeared to compromise any chance of her gracing the tote. Prior to that, this filly defeated better. “Double A,” Angel Arroyo, reprises the ride for trainer Gary Gullo. Gullo does well with horses that are entered first off a claim. Others: :9:, :3:, :4:.

Race Seven:

:8: KHALEESI KAT is my pick in this n1x turf allowance route. This mare has been off “for the longest time”; yet she appears to like the Aqueduct oval. This 5 year-old has performed very well on the lawn (over 50% on the tote). The Hall-of-Famer, Bill Mott, trains; Jo-el Rosario is in the irons. Others: :9:, :7:, :5:.

Race Eight:

:7: GOLD FOR THE KING is my pick in this non-graded state-bred sprint stake. This Posse-bred has been the model of consistency (this gelding has hit the tote in every one of his six pari-mutuel tries). I believe he catches a relatively weak field of New York-breds to extend his tote-hitting streak. Jo-el Rosario has his boots in the stirrups for trainer Charley Baker. Others: :4:, :1:, :5:.

Race Nine:

In the finale, my pick is :2: SCHMISS. This Danzig-Tapit-bred filly wouldn’t have to be much to win at first asking. I like the breeding; she should handle the lawn. Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons for trainer Linda Rice. Others: :8:, :7:, :5:.