PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Saturday, April 22

Teach
04-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Rain in NYC-area should be picking up in intensity during the afternoon. My picks are based on a good to increasingly-wet racing surface.

Race One:
In this 6 and ½ panels state-bred allowance sprint, I’m leaning toward :3: LITTLE BEAR CAT. This 4 year-old Storm Cat-bred bay filly has been the model of consistency in recent races (She finished 2nd in the Xtra Heat state-bred non-graded stakes sprint in her last). This filly should relish any moisture on the Aqueduct main. Her jockey, Eric Cancel, is, at best, having a mediocre “Big A” meet (I felt when Cancel was a “bug” he showed great promise; yet, frankly, I believe he has yet to live up to his abilities). However, having said that, I believe he is capable of “booting” this filly home, first. Dave Cannizzo owns and trains this daughter of Bluegrass Cat. One gnawing concern: this filly’s had no published works since her last race on April 1. Others: :6:, :4:, :1:.

Race Two:
In this lower-level claiming sprint, my pick is: :6: SWEETRAYOFSUNSHINE. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride aboard this veteran, 8 year-old grey mare. Rudy Rodriguez owns and trains this Alydar-bred. This Benchmark-bred distaffer should enjoy any moisture on the racetrack; she’s been either first or second in all six of her wet-track tries. This Cee’s Tizzy progeny is taking a serious class drop against a field she should be able to handle. The mare was a beaten favorite in her last. That’s a category that trainer Rodriguez does exceptionally well with. A sharp, recent work signals readiness. Others: :7:, :5:, :4:.

Race Three:
The Woodhaven. A race to be contested on the lawn at a distance of one mile and a ‘teenth’ for a purse of 100k. My pick here is: :5: FROSTMOURNE. Monsieur Christophe Clement trains this 3 year-old colt who’s won two out of three career starts. This Speightstown-bred’s only defeat came last October 1 in the Grade III Pilgrim Stakes at Belmont. Her trouble line suggests that she was both “rank and checked” in that one. The colt came back from that defeat to win the 100k AwadB. The colt now adds Lasix; it’s a category that trainer Clement does very well with. One of NYRA’s (the country’s) best, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is in the irons. A solid recent work indicates readiness off a nearly 6-month layoff. Others: :4:, :3:, :6:

Race Four:
Back on the main with an 8-panels, one-turn claiming event. My choice here is a ML medium-longshot: :1: NONNA’S BOY. This 5 year-old Distorted Humor-bred bay horse is coming back on short rest after trying better on the lawn; he finished up the track in that one. Now, he’s back on the main against a field he should compete with. This horse should be out and skimming the rail when the bell sounds and the gates open (I wouldn’t be surprised if he got track announcer Larry Collmus’s first call). Furthermore, I believe this Forty Niner-bred moves up on what on see as an increasingly wet “Big A” oval. Rosario Montanez reprises the rides for trainer John Toscano. Jr. Others: :6:, :8:, :5:

Race Five:
In this 6 and ½ panels claiming event, I’m giving my tepid nod to the rail horse, :1: SIR BOND. This 8 year-old Street Sense-bred gelding was claimed out of his last – about one month ago – by trainer Rudy Rodriguez for Michael Dubb. Can this aged gelding win at first asking for his new connections? I believe there is a solid chance. I should mention that trainer Rodriguez does exceptionally well with first after a claim. This Street Cry-bred has hit the tote in 7 out of 11 wet-track tries. He definitely moves up as the rains continue to fall. Jockey Junior Alvarado – he’s having a solid meet – is in the irons. Others: :4:, :6:, :5:.

Race Six:
In this 7-panels, maiden-claiming event for New York-state breds, I’m picking :3: PROMISE THE SKY. This 3 year-old Sky Mesa-bred gelding finished last on the lawn a little over a week ago. This Pulpit-bred should do much better returning to the main; he should find a wet surface much to his liking. Steve Klesaris – he does well with horses making their third start off a layoff – trains this Rahy-bred. The veteran Mike Luzzi, reprises the ride. Others: :8:, :4:, :10:.

Race Seven:
:1: CLUTCH CARGO is my selection in this turf route. This 3 year-old Tapit (Pulpit)-bred is 1 for 2 on the lawn (he broke his maiden about six months ago on the grass at Belmont). Mike Hushion – he does well when entering horses going from dirt to turf – is this colt’s trainer. Hushion does exceptionally well – albeit with a limited sampling – with beaten favorites. The Jamaican – Rajiv Maragh – is in the irons. Others: :10:, :3:, :7:.

Race Eight:
In this New York-state bred non-graded Stallion Series Stake, I’m leaning toward :6: BLUEGRASS FLAG. This aptly named Bluegrass Cat-bred (Personal Flag on the dam side) filly has been either first or second in her last three. This filly was last seen winning the 100k CicadaB a little less than one month ago. “The Cajun Kid,” “The King of Philadelphia,” Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons for trainer Tom Morley. Morley does well with winners of their last race. Others: :7:, :5:, :4:.

Race Nine:
In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf event to be contested over the distance of one mile and “a teenth,” my pick is: :5: PIAZZA DEL CAMPO. This Bill Mott-trainee (The Hall-of-Famer is having an outstanding Aqueduct meet) has hit the tote in half of his turf tries. This Gio Ponti-bred 3 year-old has certainly faced better in the past. Yet, a note of caution: This colt has failed as the favorite in his last three. The man from “Zydeco Country,” Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons. Others: :9:, :11:, :2:.