PDA

View Full Version : Air B and B

lamboguy
04-21-2017, 02:54 AM
anyone stay at an Air B and B or rent one out?

tucker6
04-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Just airbnb or any site like vrbo, home away, etc? I used to own a vrbo/Home Away property in Hilton Head. VRBO is somewhat similar to airbnb. I've also stayed at many others myself. The most important two things are as follows:

1. Read the reviews for commonality, both good and bad, about the place and owners. Reviews are the single greatest insight into the place you will be staying. If the description of the property amenities and the reviews match, then I'd be okay there.
2. Photos. If they don't show a view from the balcony/windows, you probably won't have one. If they don't show a pic of the kitchen, there's a reason for that. You get the picture (pun intended).

As with anything in life, buyer beware, but I always recommend these types of sites for the more personal feeling you get from staying there. Better than a hotel by far. Good luck.

Dave Schwartz
04-21-2017, 11:06 AM
We've done very well with VRBO, especially in my home town of Hollywood Beach, FL.

We go about every other year now and stay for 7-10 days. The most we've ever paid for a great little studio ON THE BEACH is $75 a night.

EasyGoer89
04-21-2017, 11:14 AM
I just use craigslist u don't have to sell your newborn, provide retina eye scans, fingerprints, Dna samples to rent a room like air bb requires.

tucker6
04-21-2017, 01:02 PM
I just use craigslist u don't have to sell your newborn, provide retina eye scans, fingerprints, Dna samples to rent a room like air bb requires.

vrbo is nothing like that for the most part.

sandpit
04-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Being that I make my living as a travel agency owner, Air B n B and all those on-line self-service places aren't my favorites. That said, years before I started my venture, I used VRBO a few times with great satisfaction.

plainolebill
04-23-2017, 12:54 AM
We've used VRBO to rent in Hawaii and Mexico multiple times. Never been disappointed and it saves us a bunch of money. Instead of 2 weeks in Kauai we can have 3. ;)

lamboguy
04-23-2017, 05:53 AM
i just put up 1 room for rent in May that i don't even have furnished yet. i filled 14 days so far but at a low price for the season because its my first time and i have no reviews yet. i have a guy managing this for me because i am going to try to rent the whole house this way so i can move into a smaller place that's easier for me to take care of and maybe closer to a race track that i can train my own horses on. i thought that place would have been Monmouth, and maybe still is but i am going to need the place to be on firmer ground to make a move there.https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18105163?checkin=2017-05-06&checkout=2017-05-07&location=Brighton%2C%20Boston%2C%20MA%2C%20United% 20States&s=A8PVuPhd

the picture of the person is not me, its the guy that is managing the place for me.

lamboguy
04-23-2017, 06:01 AM
We've used VRBO to rent in Hawaii and Mexico multiple times. Never been disappointed and it saves us a bunch of money. Instead of 2 weeks in Kauai we can have 3. ;)Kuai is my favorite place in the whole world. i was there 35 years ago before there was an airport, i stayed there for a month in a bungalow on Popui Beach. that island is the prettiest place i have ever seen with the most beautiful flowers and botanical gardens. the best part was that its the most boring place that i have ever been to, it affords you the ability to clear your head out for as long as you are there.

tucker6
04-23-2017, 08:27 AM
i just put up 1 room for rent in May that i don't even have furnished yet. i filled 14 days so far but at a low price for the season because its my first time and i have no reviews yet. i have a guy managing this for me because i am going to try to rent the whole house this way so i can move into a smaller place that's easier for me to take care of and maybe closer to a race track that i can train my own horses on. i thought that place would have been Monmouth, and maybe still is but i am going to need the place to be on firmer ground to make a move there.https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18105163?checkin=2017-05-06&checkout=2017-05-07&location=Brighton%2C%20Boston%2C%20MA%2C%20United% 20States&s=A8PVuPhd

the picture of the person is not me, its the guy that is managing the place for me.

In my opinion, making your price cheaper to get rentals is a huge mistake. The quality of renter is commensurate to the price charged. I did the same as you the first summer I rented out my villa. I had several problems with those who I gave a discounted price. I learned my lesson and after that, I was the highest price in the complex but also felt I had the best amenities and view. I rented out 46 weeks a year at the higher price and only had two bad apples in four years at that occupancy rate. A lot of it is trial and error.

... and ask for reviews from renters you believe will give you a good one. About a 1/3rd of those who say they will actually give you one.

lamboguy
04-23-2017, 09:01 AM
In my opinion, making your price cheaper to get rentals is a huge mistake. The quality of renter is commensurate to the price charged. I did the same as you the first summer I rented out my villa. I had several problems with those who I gave a discounted price. I learned my lesson and after that, I was the highest price in the complex but also felt I had the best amenities and view. I rented out 46 weeks a year at the higher price and only had two bad apples in four years at that occupancy rate. A lot of it is trial and error.

... and ask for reviews from renters you believe will give you a good one. About a 1/3rd of those who say they will actually give you one.i usually think the same way, but my manager suggested i make sure i fill up for the first month and get some reviews and then go up. i do have a great location and one of the best residential streets in all of Boston.

i have about 20 more rooms that i can list once i put individual bathrooms in them. right now i only have 7 1/2 bathrooms in the whole house.

tucker6
04-23-2017, 07:27 PM
i usually think the same way, but my manager suggested i make sure i fill up for the first month and get some reviews and then go up. i do have a great location and one of the best residential streets in all of Boston.

i have about 20 more rooms that i can list once i put individual bathrooms in them. right now i only have 7 1/2 bathrooms in the whole house.

If I may be so bold, your sense is better than your manager. It is likely that you are the owner and he/she is the manager because you make better decisions. Just because you're new to this doesn't mean you should throw out your experiences. They are still relevant.

rastajenk
04-24-2017, 06:35 AM
right now i only have 7 1/2 bathrooms in the whole house.That made me chuckle. :)

lamboguy
04-24-2017, 06:56 AM
That made me chuckle. :)
i have a real big house that has about 12 bedrooms in the place. the worst part of my house is that is classified as a historical home which means i can't tear it down to build something else.

lamboguy
06-11-2017, 10:15 AM
If I may be so bold, your sense is better than your manager. It is likely that you are the owner and he/she is the manager because you make better decisions. Just because you're new to this doesn't mean you should throw out your experiences. They are still relevant.just felt like i wanted to update this after my first month doing this.

we set the pricing to be at the median level for the dates. i have hosted 11 guests without a single problem, everyone that came here seemed to be very happy.

the big thing that i like about Air B+B is that i have more control of the place. the rooms get cleaned after the guest leaves and if there are any problems i can fix them right away. the type of people that use this service have been top notch and very respectful. i was kind of shocked how nice some people can really be.

i plan to open up 2 more units in September and then i will get 3 more ready for the end of the year on the top floor.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18105163?location=Brighton%2C%20Boston%2C%20MA%2C% 20United%20States&s=1ArUc2ES