PDA

View Full Version : Maylin said."There are 80 different forms of EPO available on the online market"

Andy Asaro
04-18-2017, 09:15 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/221064/experts-espouse-tools-beyond-post-race-drug-testing

BloodHorse Excerpt:

"There are 80 different forms of EPO (erythropoietin) available on the online market and they all have different amino acid compositions and they all generate a different weight in testing," Maylin said. "I know of no lab in the world that can test for this many different EPO copies."

Andy Asaro
04-18-2017, 09:16 PM
No idea where they're going to find the money to do this stuff.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-18-2017, 10:32 PM
No idea where they're going to find the money to do this stuff.

They do 370,000 post race blood/urine tests a year. If you prevented violations from occurring, do you think perhaps we could shift some of the money used after the result has been declared official and the bettors have been screwed into doing some of the detective work that would find anyone distributing or using illegal substances?

I'm a bit cynical about ARCI. As long as they can convince everyone the sky is falling, they cement their importance. If the cops came out and said nobody is speeding anymore, it would pretty hard for them to argue they needed more money for speeding enforcement. But if Scott Stanley and ARCI can convince everyone that EPO is set to explode on the backstretch, would that mean more moolah for the racing cops?

Do some research on EPO and racehorses. What you find might surprise you.

Andy Asaro
04-19-2017, 12:25 AM
They do 370,000 post race blood/urine tests a year. If you prevented violations from occurring, do you think perhaps we could shift some of the money used after the result has been declared official and the bettors have been screwed into doing some of the detective work that would find anyone distributing or using illegal substances?

I'm a bit cynical about ARCI. As long as they can convince everyone the sky is falling, they cement their importance. If the cops came out and said nobody is speeding anymore, it would pretty hard for them to argue they needed more money for speeding enforcement. But if Scott Stanley and ARCI can convince everyone that EPO is set to explode on the backstretch, would that mean more moolah for the racing cops?

Do some research on EPO and racehorses. What you find might surprise you.

I'm no expert in this area. You know a lot more about it than me. It seems the Industry is heading toward spending all this money to do more testing. The only way I see this Industry surviving is to concentrate handle on 1/3 of the jurisdictions we have now. Maybe less. And the blended take has to be 5% to 7% less to make it a fair gamble. I don't expect anything good to happen in the next 5 years.

lamboguy
04-19-2017, 04:23 AM
I'm no expert in this area. You know a lot more about it than me. It seems the Industry is heading toward spending all this money to do more testing. The only way I see this Industry surviving is to concentrate handle on 1/3 of the jurisdictions we have now. Maybe less. And the blended take has to be 5% to 7% less to make it a fair gamble. I don't expect anything good to happen in the next 5 years.this is one of the major problems with racing today. if you bet on track you pay a higher takeout than if you sit at home and get your rebates. BUT whether you sit at home or do your betting at the track you are paying the exact same breakage. that is the real killer sometimes its even more than the takeout. the smartest thing Barry Scwartz and NYRA ever did was cut the breakage in half. when he was the boss handle was growing. this guy real understood this game backwards and forwards. i don't know the reason's why he left, but it would be nice to have someone like him now.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-19-2017, 09:53 AM
I'm no expert in this area. You know a lot more about it than me. It seems the Industry is heading toward spending all this money to do more testing. The only way I see this Industry surviving is to concentrate handle on 1/3 of the jurisdictions we have now. Maybe less. And the blended take has to be 5% to 7% less to make it a fair gamble. I don't expect anything good to happen in the next 5 years.

You know you and I agree on this. There are a lot of impediments in the form of state breeding programs that demand a track where they can run.

But overall if the game becomes more attractive through a better economic cost, I think you could market it to new players once it is more competitive with things like daily fantasy sports. Good luck convincing the people in charge.

Andy Asaro
04-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Four trainers denied privileges of Jockey Club's registry and stud book

http://www.drf.com/news/four-trainers-denied-privileges-jockey-clubs-registry-and-stud-book