PDA

View Full Version : Do you see ads every time, or do you see blank spaces a lot?

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Doing a little research on my new ad server. Please indulge me if you will by taking a second to answer this poll.

Augenj
04-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Once in awhile, at the top I see a black blank ad space with a spinning graphic over it. You can click on the X in the upper left corner and then the ad space becomes transparent to the background. When it's "spinning" it seems to tie up any keystrokes you're making at the time. I have already voted that I didn't see any blank ads. My mistake.

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2017, 01:33 PM
I try and block that ad from the system every time I see it...

Racetrack Playa
04-18-2017, 03:02 PM
The right side ad is blank as I reply now, and was also blank when I peeked at the poll totals page.

Todays Post and in the threads I see the ad is on the side:ThmbUp:

cj
04-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Sometimes they take a little while to load but I never have blanks after a few seconds.

NorCalGreg
04-18-2017, 04:43 PM
I get that same spinning semi-loaded ad that Augie gets.

On an unrelated note--I've been trying to start a group PA RAIDER NATION....I have some pics in an album (this must be done first--according to instructions)--but it will not add to the group. (supposed to be self-optimizing)

Also can't add any discussion ----all I have accomplished is a group avatar.

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Trying to figure this one out myself

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Trying to figure this one out myselfDuh...there's a link under the discussion group to start a new discussion. It's hard to see because of the new background I put up...:bang:

Mr. Pick 5
04-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Not only do i see ads, I click on them ALL the time :headbanger:

EasyGoer89
04-18-2017, 06:39 PM
I see these a lot.

And ads for Russian brides! :headbanger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ORhEE9VVg

Ruffian1
04-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Sometimes they take a little while to load but I never have blanks after a few seconds.

Same thing here.

Fred Mertz
04-19-2017, 11:47 PM
I went to ebay earlier today for the first time in forever to purchase an item for my car. Now I'm seeing Ebay adverts on here.

So, I'll guess it's working on trying to sell me more stuff. I hate it, but I did turn my AdBlock off for this site.

Dave Schwartz
04-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Must say that since I voted I've not seen any blank ads.

Tom
04-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Must say that since I voted I've not seen any blank ads.

Your Ginzu knives will arrive by Monday......

NorCalGreg
04-20-2017, 11:15 PM
The irony! This ad was the first thing I saw on the forum:

Dave Schwartz
04-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Your Ginzu knives will arrive by Monday......

LOL - I still have (and use) a Ginzu from the early 1980s.

It really is that sharp. Tomatoes and cardboard.

sammy the sage
04-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Too perfectly honest...have stopped visiting this site by 75%....takes almost a full minute to just open the front page...this place has become like yahoo/drf....too MANY ads that HAVE SLOWED it way down...

I know you need ads to keep it running....there's a fine line there somewhere...just my 2 cents worth....which don't pay the bills...

burnsy
04-22-2017, 10:24 AM
I went to ebay earlier today for the first time in forever to purchase an item for my car. Now I'm seeing Ebay adverts on here.

Yeah, those little people in the computer are watching me. They know where I've been, what I've shopped and what i'm looking at. :confused:

Dave Schwartz
04-23-2017, 12:03 AM
Too perfectly honest...have stopped visiting this site by 75%....takes almost a full minute to just open the front page...this place has become like yahoo/drf....too MANY ads that HAVE SLOWED it way down...

I know you need ads to keep it running....there's a fine line there somewhere...just my 2 cents worth....which don't pay the bills...

Not my experience at all. Maybe clear the cache?

Dave Schwartz
04-23-2017, 12:22 AM

sammy the sage
04-25-2017, 09:02 PM

Did that..no help..also from a 2nd computer from another site..same thing...however...something FASCINATING....from my smart phone...zips right in...:rant::eek::bang:

anotherCAfan
04-26-2017, 03:07 PM
PA:

The ads are slowing down my Chrome so much, I am worried my machine will freeze.

I know you need the ads; I am not asking for them to go away. I wish they would permit me to contemporaneously listen to the radio and have open my email. Pages here on PA freeze until the ads have loaded.

Still love the site and thank you for all you do. Just wanted to see if anyone else's machine suffers performance issues because of the ads.

Thx.

PaceAdvantage
04-26-2017, 03:12 PM
PA:

The ads are slowing down my Chrome so much, I am worried my machine will freeze.

I know you need the ads; I am not asking for them to go away. I wish they would permit me to contemporaneously listen to the radio and have open my email. Pages here on PA freeze until the ads have loaded.

Still love the site and thank you for all you do. Just wanted to see if anyone else's machine suffers performance issues because of the ads.

Thx.There are the same number of ads on the website as there has been for many years now. I haven't added any extra ads...did this slowdown happen recently?

I use Chrome both at home and work and the site loads as fast as ever...in fact, the ads are set up in a way that they aren't supposed to interfere with the main web content loading...

Always make sure that you close Chrome by clicking the three vertical dots in the upper right of the Chrome window and selecting EXIT.

Simply clicking the red X to close the program will leave a lot of processes still running in my experience (unless they've cured this problem).

You can also try clearing your cache and deleting your browser cookies.

whodoyoulike
04-26-2017, 09:07 PM
PA:

Thx.

I haven't experienced any slowdown. As a matter of fact, it's a lot faster than before the change. You may have something else going on.

Have you Defragmented lately?

If not expect over an hour.

I remember when I did on my XP, things in general improved not just this site.

I have both an old XP and a newer (2yo) machines and use Chrome on both.

Murph
04-27-2017, 01:11 AM
A single ad cycled through recently that wanted to load a video with sound. I had the slo down effect for that one only. It has not popped up today.

anotherCAfan
05-04-2017, 03:01 PM
There are the same number of ads on the website as there has been for many years now. I haven't added any extra ads...did this slowdown happen recently?

I use Chrome both at home and work and the site loads as fast as ever...in fact, the ads are set up in a way that they aren't supposed to interfere with the main web content loading...

Always make sure that you close Chrome by clicking the three vertical dots in the upper right of the Chrome window and selecting EXIT.

Simply clicking the red X to close the program will leave a lot of processes still running in my experience (unless they've cured this problem).

You can also try clearing your cache and deleting your browser cookies.

I haven't experienced any slowdown. As a matter of fact, it's a lot faster than before the change. You may have something else going on.

Have you Defragmented lately?

If not expect over an hour.

I remember when I did on my XP, things in general improved not just this site.

I have both an old XP and a newer (2yo) machines and use Chrome on both.

Thank you both.

The website is rendering much quicker today. Maybe it was a full cache and too many browser cookies. (I clean those regularly.)

I did not know that Exit is better than the Red X. Thank you for that.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2017, 04:24 PM
I did not know that Exit is better than the Red X. Thank you for that.It definitely used to be...not sure if Google has improved that...they may have...I haven't really looked into it since I discovered the EXIT...lol

HuggingTheRail
05-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Hey boss, 713pm here on the Pacific coast, and I am finding the site slower than any time since the upgrade. It has taken several seconds for threads to open. Other sites, etc seem to be working fine.